[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you brahs started school later in life? Tips on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1473349548175.gif (1MB, 446x344px) Image search: [Google]
1473349548175.gif
1MB, 446x344px
Have any of you brahs started school later in life? Tips on how to succeed after not being in school for 5 years

> Looking to unJUST my life and just applied for spring semester at my local CC
>>
it will be pretty hard in the beginning because you've forgotten how to study. it gets better after a few months. also nobody really gives a shit that you're older.
>>
>>39477581
Yeah I can tell I'm dumb as shit now. I'm going to start doing khan academy courses and reading an hour a day just to hit the ground running
>>
Sorry for this faggoty blog post.

Left my secondary school (high school) in the final year because of bad depression and anxiety when I was 18. The school was also a huge shithole with abhorrent teachers and students alike. Shit piles up on you when you're in suburban bumfuck land, have teachers that only care about paychecks, have no relatable peers and spend most of your time in bed before and after school not really caring about anything except wanting to kill myself for how shitty a person I am.

A year later, with some therapy, I completely my leaving certificate by going through a post leaving cert course. Got the points and am doing computer science next year. I'm 21 so it's not exactly late, but a lot of people I knew at 18 were starting college, albeit they had know idea what they were doing, and are graduating now.
>>
I just started going back to school after about a 2 year hiatus. It's pretty shitty at times because most people treat it as two more years of high school but I really enjoy the classes I'm taking and will be graduating with my associates in the Spring.
>>
29 here. can i still escape retail hell? i need to provide for my poor mother.
>>
I didn't start late, but I can give some advice. May seem obvious but I promise that it's all game changing:

>show up every day regardss of how you feel and PAY ATTENTION

Probably the most important. Nut up and shut up, go to class, pay attention, and take notes.

>don't pay for books if you can

Always use torrents or direct download sites (I get most my books from gen.lib.rus.ec). If you must buy them then ask the prof if you can get an older edition. These are always cheaper and usually nearly identical.

>do every assignment even if you don't want to or think you can squeak by without it

This and showing up are the biggest determinators of success. Do your homework, and do it early.

>see the professors, TAs, and any other supplement instructors regularly

Not only are they indispensable for help with assignments or reviewing material, but showing a strong, consistent effort early on will demonstrate to the professor that you give a shit. They'll be much more likely to give you leniency on things if an emergency comes up or you're lagging behind on grades.

>get proper sleep and diet, and exercise

I know it's a running joke that college students have shitty sleeping habits and diets, but don't be that guy. Go to bed and get up at the same time daily, and shoot for 8 hours minimum. Get enough fats, protein, and fruits and vegetables each day. Exercise daily if you can or every other day if you cant. This will help so much with your mental clarity, you would not believe
>>
File: 1457137634433.png (563KB, 861x990px) Image search: [Google]
1457137634433.png
563KB, 861x990px
>>39477554
I just finished an associate's degree at 30yo at a community college. Community colleges are full of retards, so the standards are low. I literally worked 30 minutes per week per course and got straight A's.

If your IQ is above room temperature, you'll make it.
>>
>>39478614
Just complementing what this anon said. Get involved in extra curriculars as early as you can. Research project? Voluntary work in your field? College opens a window of opportunities that you'll never have again. Anybody can grab a diploma, but only few people graduate with a good resume.
>>
>>39477554
Started at 25. Depends on what studies. I went fire science so most people were mature enough that I didn't mind. Some basic classes are full if nu males and feminists though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.