[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to eat clean. I want to be able to do 20 pull

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1477348773209.gif (1007KB, 311x254px) Image search: [Google]
1477348773209.gif
1007KB, 311x254px
I'm trying to eat clean. I want to be able to do 20 pull ups consecutively, although I'm not sure if I should bulk up to do it (add muscle), slim down (reduce weight), or just keep trying at the current weight. I'm 170 lbs and can do 8 in a row.

My BMR is about 1760 calories a day.

Here's how I've broken things down:

2 cups broccoli - 80 calories
1 cup uncooked brown rice - 760 calories
12 oz chicken - 560 calories
protein shake - 550 calories

= 1950 calories a day

To meet that fitness goal, is this a good diet? I meet the 1 g protein/1 kg body weight and then some. But the rice feels like empty calories.
>>
>>39292072
why do you even want to do 20 pull ups? just start doing weighted ones once you can do 10 normal ones. also eat more protein. 2.2g/kg
>>
>>39292092
>>why do you even want to do 20 pull ups?

marines

>> just start doing weighted ones once you can do 10 normal ones

I can do this, but I only have a 10 lb vest. I need to get to 20 reps fast, so any other exercises and schedules (rows, pull downs, etc.) helps.

Main problem is I'd work hard one day, then have reduced performance the next, and never see consistent improvement on the pull ups like I do other lifts. I have no problem going to the gym every day, even twice a day. But I need to manage recovery/improvement and I haven't had much improvement for months. I got to 6, and 2 months later got to 8. Not acceptable.

Hence, focus on diet to remove any variable that could be weakening me.

>>also eat more protein. 2.2g/kg

I'm at 77 kg and this diet is currently 149 g protein, so I can stand to add some. Drink x2 shakes instead of eating the rice? That adds 45 g protein for the same calories.

Do you have recommendations for protein powder on Amazon?
>>
>>39292174
When do you go to bootcamp?
Make sure you run a shitload.
>>
>>39292203

Not on a board yet. The pull ups and to a lesser extent crunches are what is holding me back from a qualifying PFT.

I already made the 18:00 5K. Running is not a problem, nor is losing weight. I can just run forever and cut calories to deal with that. But as I said in the OP the problem is I'm not making gains on the pull-ups and don't know how to approach the problem.

I've stalled for months.
>>
>>39292174
>marines
>I need to get to 20 reps fast
start using GTG (grease the groove) method on them. you will increase them insanely fast but i would avoid doing any other pulling movements if you do this. or look up armstrong pullup program.

>Main problem is I'd work hard one day, then have reduced performance the next, and never see consistent improvement on the pull ups like I do other lifts. I have no problem going to the gym every day, even twice a day. But I need to manage recovery/improvement and I haven't had much improvement for months. I got to 6, and 2 months later got to 8. Not acceptable.
either you are undertraining, overtraining or you are just burned out. or it could be because you aren't eating enough. you said that you have good performance on one day and then bad the next meaning you don't have rest days? that could be it.

>I'm at 77 kg and this diet is currently 149 g protein, so I can stand to add some. Drink x2 shakes instead of eating the rice? That adds 45 g protein for the same calories.
it doesn't matter from where it comes as long as it's from a good source like meat, fish, etc. chicken or turkey breast is your best bet.

>Do you have recommendations for protein powder on Amazon?
no clue. never used it since i can easily hit my macros with food only
>>
>>either you are undertraining, overtraining or you are just burned out. or it could be because you aren't eating enough. you said that you have good performance on one day and then bad the next meaning you don't have rest days? that could be it.

I work a lot and so don't have much time for making meals. Literally 4 hours to myself each day that isn't spent working or driving, so I devote all of it to sleep. Can't spend even 10 minutes making food when you spend 3 hours each day on a commute.

I recognized that I needed to make drastic diet changes in light of this, hence why I need to eat clean. That at least eliminates diet as a source of the problem.

I will try GTG. That sounds like focusing on a benchmark and hitting it each day with the same form each time. Armstrong didn't work for me the first time I tried it because my reps were too low. That program seems best if you already have a high performance of pull-ups. When I tried it, I was only capable of doing 2-3 pull ups each day so the different looks hardly helped at all.
>>
>>39292345
i don't know if understood that right but if you are only sleeping for 4 hours than that's most likely it. you should really try to get at least 6, preferably 8 hours of solid sleep.

diet and proper recovery is almost everything

>I will try GTG.
just keep doing them throughout the day and you'll get good results. avoid doing other pulling movements because you will burn out
>>
>>39292404

I only have access to the pull-up bar when I'm at the gym. I can do the pull-ups x2 per day (before, after commute) so am I restricted from doing, say, diamond push ups which work similar muscles groups instead?

I can certainly sneak in sets of diamond push ups during the work day. I already do that with crunches.
>>
>>39292234
Strengthen your core.
I don't see how you pass the minimum req for the run but can't do 20 pull ups. I usually saw people struggle with the run but not the pull ups.
>>
>>39292425
just buy it. costs like 20$. take it with you to work if you can. fuck the haters.

to get best results with GTG you will have to do them throughout the day. like every hour or so just under failure.

doing them 2x per day is not enough
>>
>>39292425
>diamond push ups
push ups = pushing
pull ups = pulling

not the same at all. there aren't any good replacement exercises for pull ups sadly apart from assisted pull ups
>>
>>39292444
>I don't see how you pass the minimum req for the run but can't do 20 pull ups. I usually saw people struggle with the run but not the pull ups.

Shoulder surgery is part of the problem, but I have always had weak upper body game. I was a sprinter in high school and most of my best lifts are lower body.

The Cross Fit trainer who looked at me said it was weird that my core is weak for an exercise like the crunch, but very strong for the exercise where you lift your chin up off the ground like a seal.

>>39292445

I can do this, but how does it work? Attaches to a door or something?
>>
>>39292461

Diamond push ups I heard of from a tip from a former enlisted Marine who did them while in camp. Even Armstrong pull up program recommends doing push-ups as a warm-up for the pull-ups, but you're right they're not the same. They haven't helped me all that much those I do them fairly frequently now.
>>
>>39292533
>I can do this, but how does it work? Attaches to a door or something?
yeah to the frame.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K
>>
fuark that picture is hot
>>
>>39293126
add routine to sticky plz
>>
>>39292461
Not that anon, but lat pull downs?
>>
>>39293456
and how do you do them with no equipment?
>>
>>39292072
>1 cup uncooked brown rice - 760 calories
>12 oz chicken - 560 calories
>protein shake - 550 calories
Nigga you will not eat 1 cup of UNCOOKED brown rice I can guarantee that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.