[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whenever I'm doing dips, I get a sharp pain between my traps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Chest-Dips.png (37KB, 298x320px) Image search: [Google]
Chest-Dips.png
37KB, 298x320px
Whenever I'm doing dips, I get a sharp pain between my traps and my neck when I release from the bars. I'm fine during the actual motion, just as soon as I let go. Anyone ever had a similar pain?
>>
>>39238382
That's a pendiatric cynoplyst. Get it checked out.
>>
>>39238382
I feel something similar, op. Though not my traps, more in my clavicle near my shoulders. I've found that the slower i release from the bar, the less pain their is. Either way, it goes away nearly immediately. I thought it was normal.
>>
>>39238402
Yeah mine goes away pretty quickly. Maybe it is normal, I tried googling it and all I can find it people having pain in their sternum
>>
>>39238427
do you clench your jaw? it could just be from tension
>>
>>39238382
I get pain in my collarbone area after dips. For some reason it seems to be only when I'm shifting the weight from my arms back to my feet. As >>39238402 said, the slower I do this, the less it hurts. I'm doing 25kg weighted.
>>
This is why I stopped doing dips. It's stupid to do something that hurts for no good reason.

There are a thousand other chest exercises, just do those instead.
>>
>>39238382
Yeah, same pain. Now I lower myself veeery slowly and then it's no problem.
>>
Seems this sort of pain is pretty common. Do I ignore it? Seems like a stupid idea, but I don't know what to change. I like dips.
>>
It's called costochondritis. The ribs connect to the sternum via cartilage and those junctions can become inflamed. It usually settles down after a few days of not doing them or backing off the weight for a while if you're doing them weighted. Most of us here have experienced it starting out with dips. Now I never experience it and I think it's mainly due to making some key form adjustments.

Here are some tips I've posted before:
* don't dip below parallel (until you've got the flexibility)
* breathe in as you descend to avoid lowering yourself on a deflated chest
* keep your chest out and don't slump your shoulders
* lower yourself under control and avoid dipping "to failure"
* take your time increasing the weight and listen to your body (back the weight off or take a break from the exercise if you're experiencing soreness)
The key ones are breathing properly (keep your chest inflated as you dip which will help stabilize it and exhale as you come back up) and not slumping the shoulders. Keep the chest out, shoulders back, just as you would on bench press. And finally only go as deep as your flexibility allows.
>>
>>39239647
I've experienced pain in 4 specific areas with dips (some also experience elbow and wrist pain which I've never had), and I'll include a few suggestions about dealing with them:

>Sternum.
This involves the cartilage where the ribs connect to the sternum. Everyone experiences this one at some point, especially when starting out. Keep the chest filled with air on the way down, shoulders back, only dipping within the limits of your flexibility (for some this will be to parallel). Ease off the weight or put the exercise on hold if it persists.

>Sternoclavicular joints
Pain in the collarbone area, specifically below the neck. Once again, chest filled with air and shoulders back so you're not dipping on a caved in chest which puts more stress on these joints. Go to a safe depth. If there's persistent pain there, back off the weight or drop the exercise for a while.

>AC joint
This will feel manifest itself as persistent pain or tenderness in the front delt area. I've experienced it from dipping heavy for long periods without backing off. If you push it too hard a separation can occur. This is a common pressing injury and when it's serious it can put your training on ice for a long time.

>Pec tendon
Pain at the front of the armpit. This is where the pec tendon inserts into the humerus. Pain there means "back the f*ck up." Very common on bench but also applies to dips, especially if you train them heavy at low reps. If it feels tender, you need to take a break from heavy pressing involving the chest. If you keep pushing it, the damage could range from a strained pec to a full rupture of the tendon, the latter usually requiring immediate surgery and you could be sidelined for 6 months.
>>
I've been dipping and switched to chest dips due to this
I do them 3x8 with a 15kg pl8 hanging from my balls and feel a tiny bit of sharp feel on the middle of my shoulders, sometimes it's there others not
>>
>>39238382
are there any recommend books similar to pic related/strenght anatomy?

want to get deeper into lifting and I love the way it has categories for X muscle, with a number of exercises explained and with pics showing whats used
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.