[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to pick up some sort of martial art. what is good? i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 10

File: Great_One039s_Wisdom[2].jpg (13KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Great_One039s_Wisdom[2].jpg
13KB, 250x251px
i want to pick up some sort of martial art. what is good?

i want to use it to workout and also learn how to fight.

i want to get ready for street fights maybe. i dont want to pick fights, but i want to defend myself, not so great neighborhood.

what do you recommend? im thinking jiu jitsu, but everyone is doing it - what else is there?
>>
muay thai, nigga

if you really wanna do some damage and fuck people up
>>
File: GIF - 004.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
GIF - 004.gif
2MB, 500x500px
Two types of martial art: Striking (punching and kicking) and Grappling (throws, sweeps, and holds).

Most effective striking:

Muay Thai (kickboxing)
Boxing
Kyokushin Karate

Most effective grappling:

Judo
Brazilian jiu-jitsu
Wrestling

Why are these the most effective? They are competitive sports as well as martial arts. Meaning you can actually practice what you learn against people who also fight as a hobby. Thus when you fight someone who isn't used to fighting and are just picking a fight because they are drunk/angry then you probably will have as much of an edge as you can have.

DISCLAIMER: EVERY FIGHTER IS SHIT WHEN IT COMES TO BEING SUCKER PUNCHED. YOU WILL GET YOUR ASS KNOCKED OUT AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH TRAINING YOU HAVE YOU CAN ALWAYS GET SEVERELY HURT AND PERMANENTLY INJURED BY JUST A SINGLE PUNCH AND THE RESULTING CRASH.

Now, which to pick? Honestly, I am a fan of Judo. The reason being that 9/10 a street fight is essentially a randy swinging at you as much as he can before you both clumsily fall to the ground and someone gets rekt. Most fights are not a one punch knock out compilation on youtube. That being said, usually the first one to hit the ground is usually the first one to lose. Judo focuses on throwing and sweeping people to the ground. All Judo classes will also give you some training in striking. Judo is particularly effective against "tough guys" who like to shove and push you (assault you ie defending yourself) giving you a lovely opportunity to throw them to the ground. Never under estimate how much it fucking hurts to be slammed to the ground. Especially on concrete or hard wood. Shit fucking hurts and knocks the wind out of you. Essentially you can win with one throw.

Now, that being said if you REALLY want to be a great fighter you should always pair a grappling with a striking. This pair is usually called "MMA" fighting or mixed martial arts, but most trainers who teach "MMA" will usually give you a watered down version of each.
>>
File: GIF - 002.gif (18KB, 701x700px) Image search: [Google]
GIF - 002.gif
18KB, 701x700px
>>39210495

BJJ (Brazilian jiu-jitsu) is a great martial art for once you're one the ground and submitting your opponent through holds (arm and leg locks with the threat of breaking). Mix in punching and you have a ground and pound that will fuck anyone up.

If you are a fan of punch, then go with boxing. If you like powerful kicks go with Kyokushin (most people do not even know what kyokushin karate is and if you find a dojo that describes it at such more than likely they will be legit but always do research). Muay Thai is a great mixture of both. Muay Thai is in my opinion the most "dangerous" of the three striking. It is relentless and gives a feel of really getting hit. I only choose Kyokushin because it is full contact, all punches can only go to torso, kicks can go to any location but the head can only be hit by kicks. Thus you get a lot of practice in judging whether or not that sweet ass amerikick to the head is really worth it. Kyokushin also focuses a lot on leg kicks. That may seem dumb, but when I say leg kicks I mean kicking so hard your thigh or calf simply goes out and you fall from lack of mobility.

Basically Muay Thai is punching and kicking with a more boxing oriented training and Kyokushin is a Japanese based Budo training. Honestly I think BJJ and Muay Thai fit better and Judo and Kyokushin go better together just due to their cohesion in origin.

Then again this is biased as fuck since I am a practitioner of Kyokushin and Judo.
>>
>>39210580
what is japanese based budo training? or did you mean judo
>>
File: GIF - 001.gif (75KB, 737x700px) Image search: [Google]
GIF - 001.gif
75KB, 737x700px
>>39210580

I should clarify the leg kick I mean you kick your opponent's legs to the point that they give out. The technical name is a low kick but it is banned in most US kickboxing tournaments. Kyokushin tournaments keep to their own international leagues usually so it is a valid hit and part of the sport.
>>
Grant us eyes, grant us eyessss.

Boxing is a solid foundation, then onto mauy thai or judo for well rounded combat abilities.
>>
Blah blah blah mma fags will tell you to mauy thai and bjj.. good systems but only under those rules.

MT is good but it suffers from neckbeard and guys who are trying to fight hard without the years behind you as in any other striking art.

Bjj and judo are memes. They have been watered into sports. Judo uses points, and bjj forces to ground. Juijitsu (traditional) is probably better.. it teaches a bit more "dirty" fighting that you don't get in arts that have been turned and romanticised into sports.
But can that mods put this into the sticky? This question gets asked all the time.
>>
File: GIF - 003.gif (862KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
GIF - 003.gif
862KB, 500x700px
>>39210647

Budo describes Japanese martial arts that are more lifestyle oriented rather than application. So in Japanese -do suffix represents path or a way of life. So essentially you learn a martial technique however along with the instruction you learn perseverance, dedication, honor, etc. The suffix -jitsu usually means a technique or something with just an application. So jiu-jitsu was more oriented to military and police uses.

So anyway Budo contains many different martial arts (which the word Martial Arts, think ART or a way of life where as others are simply applications to get an effect). Ju-DO is grappling - gentle way or basically being able to practice without severely hurting your opponent, Iai-DO is the way of being prepared for war or battle and drawing/striking at a moment's notice, Bushi-DO is the way of the warrior/honor, Ken-DO is the way of the sword (thus the act of sword fighting/striking when in a combat situation is at hand), Kyu-DO is archery, Aiki-DO was initially on how to disarm your opponent of their weapon when you dont have one for whatever reason (which is why it is essentially pointless now a days). Jo-DO is staff combat.

Karate along with Shorinji Kempo are derivatives of Chinese Kempo thus the focus on striking. Shorinji Kempo was created after WW2/Hiroshima and a means of teaching the youth of Japan how to keep their tradition and honor in what was essentially a destitute and bleak situation. This was considered very serious as the U.S. took over the development of Japanese culture and economic direction. Shorinji Kempo is officially registered in Japan as a religion and a martial art.
>>
>>39210291
do boxing and after few years you will be left hookin motherfuckers out cold. fast and technical left hook from a right handed fighter - its a fucking same good night as a shot to the face. no jiu jitsu will ever stop that shit.
>>
>>39210797
there are BJJ instructors that incorporate street defense BJJ as well as 'sport' BJJ.

It's a bonus if a BJJ school has a instructor that is an ex wrestler, judoka or trains/competed MMA. I think it is essential for an instructor on today's world.
>>
File: WP03.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP03.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>39210797

Any martial art isn't very effective until you get your synapses accustomed to fighting and reacting to someone trying to harm you. This sound very broscience but it's true. Just like a college degree, experience trumps classes any day of the week. However having a degree doesn't necessarily harm your chances either. It's a buffer. This is why martial arts that are also competitive AND ARE FULL CONTACT are the only serious options. If you strike someone you need to know how much it's going to fuck your shit up when you hit that person without padding. Also when it is going to feel like to get fucked up. Muay Thai gets a pass because their kicks can literally kill you, same with boxing (however boxing gloves just add to their lethality do to the added weight to the gloves).

Krav Maga teaches you stuff that will permanently maim or harm someone thus there isn't any way to REALLY practice it. That's like saying that practicing Kata will make you more effective in fighting.

Judo focuses on defending/attacking with the least amount of strain. You use your center of gravity to pivot people in a throw or sweep and let the inertia of them falling then hitting the ground do the damage. BJJ took the same approach but focused more on when you're on the ground and forcing your opponent to submit. The common theme is diffusing the situation without seriously harming the aggressor or yourself. Punching damages you as well as your opponent. It breaks noses, busts eyes, and otherwise does serious damage. Usually if someone is aggressive towards you, knocking the breath out of them or disorienting them is enough to put them out of commission and "tuckered out". Also when they're on the ground and you're standing if they don't stop you can always do a kick/strike to end it. I know this sound neckbeard as fuck but it's true. It's all about stopping the confrontation and both of you getting on with your lives.
>>
should i learn hapkido?
>>
File: WP01.jpg (996KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP01.jpg
996KB, 1920x1080px
>>39211106

I wouldn't recommend it, but it's whatever you want to do. It's a similar "jack of all trades" martial arts that focuses on various throws, holds, strikes, and weapon training. It seems to be traditional in its approach, the Korean equivalent to Japanese and Chinese martial arts that sort of blends it all together. My only thing is that these types of martial arts tend to eventually lead to striking the majority of the time and then you're basically just Taekwondo.

The problem with striking is that when you spar you think that fighting is two people standing 4 feet away from another trying to throw kicks and punches when in reality someone is going to be arms length from you trying to punch you mercilessly. There is no hesitation or waiting for the right moment to strike like in competitive sparring for points. Also to really land those strikes you gotta be GOOD. Like REALLY GOOD, and have really good aim and speed then with enough strength to put them down especially with kicks. It's a lot to react to.

Again, this is biased. I practice Judo (8 years) and Kyokushin (2 years). I have won all of my fights except for one in high school like 8 years ago (attacked in class while I was asleep, got rekt HARD, Braces embedded in lips, bloody nose, but still walking). I've only been in two street confrontations and both ended when I threw them. I always made sure they were okay before leaving and the last time the guy apologized and ate crow when he got up and caught his breath again. He was limping but later on in the night he was fine (he continued drinking and we saw each other at the same bar later on that night). I am 5 foot 10 inches, 170 pounds, and have thrown plenty of people over 6 foot in the 200-240 pound range... so manlet approved lol. Im also cringing at how fucking lame this all sound but internet tough guy aside it is helpful information. Then again don't believe everything you read on the internet.
>>
>>39211279
thanks for your insight. so, in your opinion, what is the best martial art for a female that is in the 130-120 pound range? I'm pretty light as is. I wanted to take boxing as a hobby, but my skin is too sensitive, and tend to get bruises easily.
>>
File: WP04.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP04.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>39211340

Honestly, I would still recommend Judo. Some of the best Judoka in the WORLD are female. Judo is mainly core strength, hip and legs for stability, and forearms and back for throws and grip strength. Agility is HUGE in Judo, the more complex throws and sweeps require you to turn your body mid throw and do body weight wraps around your opponents limbs. These are again really high level throws but it's more showing what you can accomplish.

To address your issue with boxing though, ALL martial arts is going to condition your body. All skin is sensitive, but you will build calluses. Even with striking martial arts the reason they are able to strike wood and stone without damaging themselves is the same reason you can lift heavy after benching and squatting for years. They slowly over time condition their bones used to receiving kinetic blow back. It actually strengthens them. This occurs when you hit something and you don't break it. The blow back force goes into your fist, then forearm, then shoulder which is why your shit can break it is isn't conditioned.

But grappling is definitely easier on your skin and bones. It is harder on your joints and ligaments at first though due to all the bending and throwing.
>>
File: 1473060894211.jpg (18KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
1473060894211.jpg
18KB, 300x428px
>>39210828
that's really fucking interesting, thanks anon
>>
>>39211530
Thank you so much. very good information. I love the style of hapkido since it seems like more of a self-defense thing. But i will definitely look into judo and boxing. I just want to condition my body and get strong.
>>
File: Flow_Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow_Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
Ignore the chart, read the faq
>>
What do you think of Sambo?
>>39211530
>>
>>39210291
muay thai and boxing for on your feet

wrestling and bjj for when the fight inevitably goes to the ground
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.