[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad is sodium really? If I'm hitting all my macros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: kAwPrbB.jpg (174KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kAwPrbB.jpg
174KB, 960x1280px
How bad is sodium really?

If I'm hitting all my macros but have a shitton of sodium in the process, will it really be all that detrimental?
>>
>>39115173
If you care about bloating or puffy face
>>
>>39115173
the only people that need to worry about sodium intake are those that are sensitive to it.

the "high sodium diet is bad for you" meme is indeed a meme.

same with the "MSG is bad for you" meme.
>>
>>39115173
It's like any other essential micronutrient, it can fuck your shit up in way too high doses. But most likely, your body is able to excrete it when it's too abundant. Sodium bloating and water retention is real though, so I'd recommend cutting back on it during a cut.
>>
>>39115173
It will fuck your circulatory system so bad you'll have arteries in your brain literally exploding, killing you.
>>
Yes, you should keep your sodium intake as low as possible. Salt is really bad for your artery function and your blood pressure. Witch is the biggest risk factor for death all around the world. Salt, meat and other animal products are the leading cause of high pressure. Aim for 110/70 blood pressure and adjust your diet to keep that level. pubmed.org for the science behind it.
>>
>>39115173
Its not

The amount of salt needed to harm you is astronomically large. Stop panicking over broscience bullshit.
>>
>>39115237
Dietetics student here:

Pls don't listen to these people. Too much sodium being bad for you is most definitely not a meme. There's a reason practically every international health and governing body says to keep sodium intake low (usually lower than about 2200mg/day) and potassium intake high. In the short term it won't do too much for you unless you have a ridiculous amount, except you'll pee a lot. If you care about your long-term health, high-sodium is absolutely awful for you. There are a few population groups that seem to handle it ok (some asians, innuit people, etc) and some who it is really bad for (african americans) but it's basically bad for everyone.
Does contribute significantly to risk for hypertension, CVD, etc. Basically makes you die when you're 60 instead of 90. The DASH diet is considered one of the 'healthiest' in the world, and that's a diet very low in sodium and is designed specifically to minimise or mitigate hypertension.

Any of you people calling this broscience like me to cite any of this?
>>
>>39117568
I was under the impression sodium causes water retention, so surely you'd pee less? Unless you're referring to the likely increase in water consumption that follows increased sodium intake.
>>
>>39117707
Sodium does cause water retention in that it causes more water to get into your cells, which puffs them out a bit more and is what causes the bloating that people seem to talk about. Basically, having big fat watery cells is bad for a number of reasons so the body tries to flush all that sodium out. You excrete sodium through the kidneys and pee it out in a process called natriuresis.

Usually takes about a day or so for your body to realise there's too much sodium and pee it out though, so the effect of peeing is kind of delayed. Can take up to a week or more to fully pee out all the excess sodium and have things go back to normal.
>>
>>39117802
A week? Really?
>>
>>39117869
Usually about 6 days from memory, but that's just in the case of eating one really salty meal. If you ate a shitload of salt all day it'd probably take at least a week I imagine.

One of the main reasons a lot of sodium is bad is that having fat watery cells floating around in your blood raises your blood pressure because there's more volume in the same area, which causes the heart and veins and things to work harder and get worn out easier, and basically just means there's more risk of scuffing up an artery and getting some kind of thrombosis or something.

The reason eating too much sodium raises your blood pressure permanently (which is bad) is each time your body spends a week flushing out all the excess sodium or however long it takes, it never quite resets back to the normal level. Kind of complicated to explain in babby language over 4chan (and this is all stuff I barely remember) but just trust me, lots of sodium being bad is not a meme.
>>
>>39117963
Didn't know that. I thought it took a lot less time to get all the sodium out of the body. I'll have to take a lot more care with my salt intake. Thx man
>>
>>39118019
No problem mane. One salty meal here and there isn't going to kill you, just try to usually keep your sodium intake low, and on the days you decide to cave and eat a salty, greasy ass burger, just keep your sodium really low that day.

And remember to never listen to advice on 4chan because it's full of 16 year olds and literal retards :^)
>>
>>39115173
Who is this phallus chalice?
>>
>>39118079

What about canned food? it has a shitload of sodium but it's the only sodium thing i eat in the day
>>
>>39118107
Depends on the food man. If you're talking about something like tuna, a lot of the sodium is in the water/brine and not actually in the meat, so if you drain it, you won't be having quite as much sodium as it says on the label.

I'd advise trying to keep your sodium below 2200mg/day, but if you're a bigger guy then you can kind of get away with a little more. Also eating a shitload of potassium *kind of* negates the bad effects of sodium but that's a bit of a complicated subject. Just eat your veggies homie
>>
>>39118171

I have been eating 300mg of mackerel daily for like a year with 0 mercury effects, but the sodium is quite high, still i wash it with water so that kinda answers my question

do you know any long term effects of canned food? are there studies that link it cancer or some shit?
>>
>>39118201
Haha there's a study that links just about anything to cancer if you look hard enough m8. But you're right to be concerned. Haven't actually looked into it before but I imagine all the processing and things involved in making it a non-perishable canned food probably means it has a few more nasty things in there that could contribute to colorectal cancer risk. But it might be fine, too lazy too google it either.

Have you heard of google scholar? Try looking things up there if you're interested in reading actual scientific papers (you usually have to pay for them but you can read the abstracts for free which are basically the jist of the study)
>>
>>39118079
Not always 16 year olds, great shit senpai
>>
>>39115173

it's bad for your heart, raises your bloodpresure and gives you kidney stones

that's about it really

don't worry too much about it, a normal diet contains twice the amount of salt that is recommended

just remember to drink enough water
>>
>>39117963
>>39118019

close but not quite. cells utilize a sodium/potassium pump to constantly pump sodium out of cells. the excess sodium in the blood/tissues actually causes cells to *shrink* (osmotic pressure; water always follows salt to 'balance' the concentrations on both sides of a membrane; because physics). this is why blood pressure goes up, as all of that intracellular fluid (which actually makes up ~40% of your body weight) is now forced into your vessels.

but you're right in that the kidneys do adapt to the higher blood pressure (over time) and so view hypertension as the new "normal."

and he's definitely right in that sodium will fuck up your shit in the long run. the constant high blood pressure forces your heart to work harder. the heart is a muscle, so over time your heart gets fucking jacked. good thing, right? actually, no. your heart wants to be in ottermode, and when it gets swole like that it becomes tough and inelastic. blood doesn't circulate as effectively, and you run into issues like blood clots and coronary artery disease (the arteries that feed the heart itself).
>>
>>39120462
eventually, your heart gets so ripped it can't even pump blood anymore, and you die. it's actually why men tend to die from heart disease more. more testosterone leads to more muscle growth, more muscle growth leads to more cardiac muscle growth, more cardiac growth leads to greater instances of cardiac failure/infarction

in a way, though, it's kind of beautiful when you think about it. no matter what you're doing, no matter where you are, even when you're sleeping, your heart is still pumping away in there, makin steady gainz. it never stops until the two of you are dead. if that's not inspiring, i don't know what is.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.