[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to go to the gym for the first time in my life and begin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: AverageFitizen.jpg (33KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
AverageFitizen.jpg
33KB, 512x384px
About to go to the gym for the first time in my life and begin starting strength.

How much weight should I be lifting? I don't work out yet but I'm not terribly unfit and not weak.

am I gonna make it?
>>
>>39070339
First learn to do the movements, with proper form. This might take a couple weeks.

Then, you want to lift as much as you can. Your 5 rep max. Don't lift so much that your form breaks down.

I started off at (5 rep max)

Squat: 185
Bench: 155
Deadlift: 250 (roughly)
Power Cleans: 140
OHP: 95
>>
>>39070339
Did you read the book? Start warming up with an empty bar and then add up to what's difficult for you to lift, then start maybe 20% under those weights.

When I first started I was at 1pl8 squat, bench, and deadlift, and I think like 65lbs OHP
Was 6ft 225, now 6ft 215. Quit lifting nearly a year ago and have kept almost no healthy habits. Will probably die alone.

Good luck anon, hope you make it!
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY.
>>
Should a set of deadlifts be done consecutively or is it okay if you pause with the bar on the ground for just a little bit?
>>
>>39070427
>first time deadlift
>yeh imma put like 110 kgs, that should be enough
liar
>>
>>39070748
You must be weak.

I didn't deadlift until 3 or 4 weeks into the program.. And then on my second deadlift session, I did 250x5.

When starting out, most people's deadlifts are substantially more than their bodyweight.
>>
>>39070564
It's fine. For any exercise.

Too long of a pause, though, and you've started another set.
>>
>>39070427
Jesus christ, this will literally injure someone
>>
>>39070427
Chill the fuck out, unless this dude is 200 lbs +, he does not need to be trying to this as his first workout ever. You're being a complete cunt trying to injure a beginner.

>>39070339
If you're doing the main compound movements, start bench and squat with just the bar, and practice performing good form, get someone who is trained or who you trust that knows proper movement of said movements to kind of watch you and tweak and small mishaps, also even if you want you can start on smith machine with squats and deadlifts to get the movement of it down. With the deadlift, 135 for minimum is preferred to keep the bar proper position up off the floor. Look up instruction videos on all of the movements, learn them, get stronger, eat decent meals, and continue to grow. Good luck op.
>>
>>39071093
I have no idea what OP's physical ability is. I never implied he would lift the same as me.

(to OP) Here are some strength standards by bodyweight and training level:

http://startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf

If you're totally untrained, you'd be category 1. If you work construction, or do anything that would be a little like strength training, you might be in category 2.
>>
File: estats.gif (964KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
estats.gif
964KB, 500x250px
>>39071012
very impressive :O
>>
>>39070427
>talent chads believe this is normal starting weight

tfw I started with
>75lbs squat
>55lbs bench
>115lbs deadlift
>35lbs OHP
>>
>>39070427
is this in freedom units
>>
>>39071269
Yes.

Why are people surprised at this? My friends all OHP and Bench more than me.
>>
>>39071185
this is surprisingly accurate. as a novice who had done some calisthenics and sports before, i started out around the weights displayed in cat 2.
>>
>>39070564
I pause 15-30 seconds or I'll pass the fuck out.

>>39070339
Start with the bar for OHP, bench, squats and cleans. Start with about 95lbs on deadlift but put a 45lb plate underneath to lift it off the ground a little. If 95 feels heavy, start with the bar. You can add weight quickly as you go if it's too easy.
>>
>>39070339
>>39071207
I started with
95 bench
95 squat
125 deadlift
45 OHP

I still can't put up most of >>39070427

Start with the bar and work your way up slowly until you find a 5 rep max, break up into sets and make sure you're safe. Throwing 135 on and hurting yourself won't help anything.
>>
OP here
turns out I'm weaker than I thought

70 squat
30(thirty) bench
deadlifts coming up, stay tuned

thanks for the responses though, I'm motivated
>>
>>39070339

idk man I started 2x bodyweight on every lift
thats probably a good place to start
>>
>>39071513
>30(thirty) bench
That's oddly low. Are you adding the barbell to the weight total?
>>
>>39071538
>2x bodyweight on Squat
Very Impressive.

>2x bodyweight on Bench
Didn't happen.

>2x bodyweight on Overhead Press
Are you Klokov?
>>
>>39071513
KG or lb?
>>
>>39071547
fuck I'm autistic

how much does the fuckin bar weigh

>>39071644
lb
>>
>>39071921
>how much does the fuckin bar weigh
Usually it's 45 pounds. Depends on the bar though.
>>
OP again, revised first workout(lb)

115 squat
75 bench
105 dead lift

that looks a bit less pathetic lmao

I ended up just slowly adding weight on until it felt challenging
>>
File: Screenshot_20161007-154950.jpg (319KB, 1398x535px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161007-154950.jpg
319KB, 1398x535px
Hello OP please read as follows

IF YOU LOAD LESS THAN 1PL8 ON ANY BAR YOU WILL BE BANNED. YOU WILL TIP THE RECEPTIONIST ON YOUR WAY OUT AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF. DO NOT USE THE SHOWERS

NO
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.