[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am i too old to make it as a boxer? 26 y.o experienced amatuer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

File: sascasdc.jpg (31KB, 343x314px) Image search: [Google]
sascasdc.jpg
31KB, 343x314px
Am i too old to make it as a boxer?

26 y.o

experienced amatuer

3+ years hiatus

light-heavyweight
>>
>>39065419
I believe in you. Work hard OP, you've started your prime. Go make waves and train smart.

Tagging onto this. 23 y/o totally inexperienced other than being above average athletically. How long training until I could be an amateur MMA fighter assuming I start training 3x a week at a respected MMA Academy?

Anyone experience going from 0 to fighter?
>>
>>39065419
Some people are freakishly good at things and can start at a later age. The perfect example is Randy Couture. He started pretty late and was still an accomplished MMA champion.

Most likely you could become a pretty competent amateur, but pushing through the professional ranks is difficult and you have a smaller window, probably 10 good years of boxing left.
>>
>>39065419
You've got 3-4 years to break professional. Then another 6-7 of competition or more if you can keep yourself healthy.

Granted this is MMA and not boxing, but Damien Maia is like 38 atm and doing well in the UFC.
>>
>>39065453
Assuming you have a ridiculous work ethic, you could be a pretty competent amateur in a year.

MMA is effectively three arts rolled into one; striking game, grappling game and ground game. It takes a long time to be fluent in all three. Plus there's the physical aspect of continuing to stay in good shape.
>>
>>39065419
wasn't there a super famous boxer that started in his 30s or 40s after getting out of prison and became world champion, if you want it bad enough anything is possible i guess is my point.
>>
Somewhat related, would it be too late for me to start Muay Thai at the age of 18? I feel as though my conditioning will never match that of someone who started training from a child.

I do have experience in Sanshou, as well as MMA, but not much. I have been told my bones are hard as shit if ever I've come in to contact with someone else bone to bone, but I know that's just because they're completely untrained.

Should I just continue to practice MMA, or a grappling/free wrestling sport rather than Muay Thai?
>>
File: 1476110447439.png (353KB, 567x422px) Image search: [Google]
1476110447439.png
353KB, 567x422px
>>39065453
OP here, thanks

I am well trained technically from a past lifetime, all i need is to get back to fighting fitness and im good to go

I won all of my amaetuer bouts in the past, I could spend a year in the amatuers and go pro if it goes well for me...

>How long training amatuer MMA
you need to find a good gym and get some time on the mat, lots of time. start today.

You could be sparring in 6 months and having bouts in 1 if you dedicate yourself. Depends if you have a talent for it or not.

Its easier to make it as a pro in MMA at an older age since its a new-ish fight sport, there aren't a whole lot of 'old convention' and 'rules of thumb' in effect; you could potentially do anything.

>>39065512
I already was a pretty competent amatuer, I only stopped due to injury (14 shoulder dislocations), i was training 52 hours a week and shoulder surgery fucking broke me.

i love being punched in the face, but the rehab after having the front of my scapula rebuilt was the most painful experience of my life.

Im ready to have a proper run at it now, i know what needs to be done and how to do it.
>>
>>39065530
Is 4 years a realistic amount of time to get to low UFC level? Like TUF shape.

The gym I'd go to is pgood, but expensive. I'm trying to decide if I want to just go take bjj classes for cheaper, and maybe compete there, or go all in on MMA and train, like you said, striking grappling and takedowns and try to break into MMA.
>>
>>39065557

OP here

absolutely not, this is a very standard age for starting muay thai in western countries, start tomorrow

>>39065536

yes, he was 28 when he went pro. judging by his metric, i've got 2 years. lets do this. (cant remember the name, google it)
>>
>>39065559
Ty for the encouragement OP. You say that you have technical experience from a past lifetime. I feel the same. I have a real drive and passion for wrestling I just need to go hone the skill.

Best of luck OP. I believe in you and if you make it big try to tip your hat to /fit/ in some way ;)
>>
>>39065567
If you have the chin/athleticism and dedicate the time to train, then sure.

Like doing anything professionally, you probably need to dedicate a good 30+ hours a week to it. Lots of training on striking/grappling technique and then probably an hour and a half on the physical conditioning per day.
>>
>>39065527
>>39065512
the difference here is that both Damien Maia and Randy Couture had a very very high level of proficiency in something very related to MMA

assuming OP is coming from only a little boxing experience his only chance at making it as a boxer is if he's an absolutely freakish under the radar talent

even then unless you're truly elite boxing is a terrible career path, you take tons of hits to the head and make mediocre pay
>>
>>39065590

when i said 'past lifetime' i meant, in this literal lifetime; i was a successful amatuer boxer before severe injury and surgery

>>39065607
not only a little experience; i was a real contender for an amatuer state-title, and sparred with pros regularly as part of their pre-fight training, before breaking off the front part of my scapula on my jabbing side.

i also punched the fucking shit out of johnny krishna (a pro)
>>
File: arreola_crying-530x317.jpg (32KB, 530x317px) Image search: [Google]
arreola_crying-530x317.jpg
32KB, 530x317px
>>39065636
OP again, let me rephrase:
'Successful' in that i didnt lose; perhaps 'successful' isnt an accurate choice of words.

I had my heart set on that state title but never got the chance... the front of my scapula breaking off happened just weeks before the bout
>>
>>39065636
Oh. Well I'm a literal crazy person and mean what I said seriously. I feel like my body wants to wrestle, like it was meant to. I'm just too much of a poon to go start. I think about it a lot though.
>>
>>39065673
if you've got a boner for it, do it man

that fire is the only thing you REALLY need imo
>>
>>39065636
if you have natural talent and love the sport you should do it

also how did you injure yourself?
>>
File: babby.jpg (5KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
5KB, 260x194px
>>39065607
>boxing a terrible career path
yeah i agree, i saw this first hand

plus here in australia the whole fucking thing is basically run by bikie gangs aka cucks in a pack

i have a degree now, so it wont be my only option as it would have been if i went straight for it when i was younger

>>39065711
>how did you injure yourself
cross-training in MMA against my coaches orders,
>'dont do it cunt'
>'nah fuck the old man im gonna do this anyway'

apart from fucking with my stance, it was actually extremely good fitness; wrestling is a different type of strength.

anyway
>reverse flying armbar
>i tried to do a typical armbar escape, never been in a reverse armbar before nor did i know what it was
>broke the front of my shoulder

this was the 14th dislocation; before that it was an old football injury, which ironically also kept me out of football - i was on the state and regional team.
>>
>>39065686
The encouragement is real. Thanks amigo.
>>
File: awazu_10.jpg (21KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
awazu_10.jpg
21KB, 377x500px
>>39065530
>MMA
>getting fluent in all three games

Yeah, not going to happen.
That being said, it should be a great workout.

At least if you plan to get in the ring for real. In most martial arts, no goals means no gains and little technical progress.
Unless your gym/dojo is packed with competitors and you manage to consistently keep up with them on the physical and psychological level.

As for OP : go for it. You know the gloves and wraps are getting lonely without you.
>>
>>39066137
Its a pretty good gym I think. MMA Academy of Minnesota, they have a competition team but I'm unsure of their sucsess. Brock Lesnar trains there occasionally and I know they had one dude go to TUF.

It's expensive though. 140 a month for access to all classes.

My goal would be the octagon, but more so to have fun, learn, and stay strong. Basically I'm just wondering about a basic timeliness from 0 to amateur MMA.
>>
File: 3979057-oliva.png (1MB, 760x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3979057-oliva.png
1MB, 760x1200px
Is 22 too late to get into a martial art and preferably git gud at it? Thinking of picking up kyokushin or something. Never did a combat sport before.
>>
File: 1367728250220.gif (499KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1367728250220.gif
499KB, 250x188px
>>39065782
>Shrimping a reverse armbar
Aw shit OP you've done it.

As for the cross training rap, I feel you. I'm a long time BJJ practitioneer/competitor and I used to box in highschool and college.I tried cross training with a friend of mine last year (semi-pro eurofag thai boxer) and it fucked up my stance. Not to mention I could never keep up with his cardio routine, quickly overtrained, and was drinking far too much punches...

Fun times nonetheless. It sure felt good to outbox the karatefags in my club, and made me quite popular as a sparring partner for self defense/traditional JJ classes.
>lol dojo rats
>>
>>39066231
23 yo here and in the same postion. I think we just need to get into a gym and start working hard.
>>
File: 1141718.jpg (18KB, 400x487px) Image search: [Google]
1141718.jpg
18KB, 400x487px
>>39066182
Then train consistently with your goals, and you should be alright friendo.

I don't know much about MMA game in the US though, but I can't see why you couldn't make it in a few years.

My point was : competition in martial arts is necessary at some point to provide yourself with a wide variety of opponents with a strong mindset and training background. As for most sports or hobbies, you need to crank up the difficulty to consistently improve.

>>39066231
It's never too late, unless your way past your 40's. Then again, I'm sure some martial arts still holds competitions for senior practitionneers. I know the French Judo Federation does, though I'm sure its far from Olympic level, and their BJJ game is crap.
>>
Thanks for tips and encouragement amigo :) I appreciate the positivity.
>>
File: 1366501587064.gif (653KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1366501587064.gif
653KB, 260x146px
>>39066338
No problem. We're all brothers walking along the same Path.

Best of luck on your journey, and don't forget to punch your opponents really hard for me.
>>
>>39066256
One shoulder reconstruction later man - I dont reccommend it ! the rotation caused the actual front of the shoulder to break of completely;. .....it hurt

sucks because rolling is fun af !
>>
It it okay to take up boxing for fun? I just want to learn to fight generally
>>
>>39065559

>i am well trained technically from a past lifetime
>>
>>39067954
>being this afraid of the imagination
>being this closed minded about consciousness.

Right on boyo.

Anon said he was talking about the lifetime before he was injured and used the injury as a sort of metaphorical death. Didn't even read through the thread.
>>
File: boxers9.jpg (42KB, 402x269px) Image search: [Google]
boxers9.jpg
42KB, 402x269px
>>39067899
Absolutely not, how dare you even think such a thing
>>
>>39068008
Whew! glad I asked in this thread first

I would've been the laughing stock of the gym
>>
>>39065419
If you love boxing enough to become a champion, you'll keep practicing no matter what we say.
If you don't want to box unless you have a shot of being a pro, you don't love it enough to be a pro.
>tl;dr just get out there and box
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.