[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize that life is completely dependent on genes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 16

File: gojak.jpg (7KB, 207x243px) Image search: [Google]
gojak.jpg
7KB, 207x243px
When did you realize that life is completely dependent on genes and environment?

The genes you have and the environment you're born in completely determines who you can possibly be.

If i changed just one event in your past your present would be completely different.

If your life is shit it's possible to change, but it's more likely that it'll stay shit, like a negative feedback loop.
>>
You just said it's dependent on the environment too.
Get yourself into a different environment faggot.
>>
We're in the window to witness superintelligent AI and synthetic bodies. Just make sure you don't die before then.
>>
File: 1470718151330.png (41KB, 1350x561px) Image search: [Google]
1470718151330.png
41KB, 1350x561px
>>39061679
Those who do the same exact thing day in and day in and day out, will never have anything change.
>>
>>39061693
I can't get on a rocket ship and launch myself towards a planet in which my specific set of genes are favored by the environment.

And even then, having the courage to change the environment you're in is also dependent on genes and environment, which are out of your control.
>>
>>39061727
>don't want to be alive anymore
>hurr durr just explore the world bro
>>
File: Give your all nothing less.png (109KB, 453x205px) Image search: [Google]
Give your all nothing less.png
109KB, 453x205px
>>39061734
Not just explore the world. Its do whatever you fucking want. Literally you think it just do it. You obviously aren't afraid to die at the point of thinking of suicide.
>>
>>39061744
>don't want to live anymore
>just want to live and do anything bro
>>
>>39061744
>>39061727
>100% 365 days a year = right where you started, 1
nigga your pics are top tier bait
>>
I didn't know hard work, determination, will power, discipline, were all genetic.
Stop being a fucking beta bitch, you have the internet, yet some fucking kid in africa without it is doing more than you, why don't you stop fucking crying and do something with your life you emo faggot
>>
>>39061744
Suicide isn't not being afraid of death, it's wanting to die. A whole different mind set, I knew you read that motivational pasta and felt "wow, this is an entirely different outlook and really makes my gears turn" but it's silly and stupid.
>>
>>39061728
Well if you're going to have an attitude like that you might as well do the us all a favor and an hero.

Don't be a little fucking bitch and argue with someone who's trying to help change your attitude for the better.

Now either get off fit and go eat a can off whoop ass to get your ass in shape, or get off fit and kill yourself. Either way, stop getting in the way of people who are trying to achieve something.
>>
>>39062059
this. pic was obviously written by a normalfag who's never actually been suicidal
>>
File: crybaby.jpg (13KB, 590x385px) Image search: [Google]
crybaby.jpg
13KB, 590x385px
>>39061679
>>
File: I hope you're joking.jpg (34KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
I hope you're joking.jpg
34KB, 338x305px
>>39062036
>I didn't know that certain genes coupled with the environment can predispose people to certain behaviors that may benefit them or be deleterious to them.

That just makes you a retard.
>>
>>39062416
But you can change

If you have the capability to determine the reason you're on a set path, then you have the capability to exert control over your path.

Human Determinism is a weaksauce epistomological position that hasn't been taken seriously by even a first year philosophy student in the most pretentious university on earth.

It's even more basic than the cogito ergo sum proposition. But at least cogito ergo sum has the capability to prove itself objectively.

Millions of people change their lives every day. Me? I got off a 5 year addiction to drugs and booze, after being raised in an environment that promoted it. Still live in that environment too.

There's also some fat as fuck guy right now whose just thrown out his last soda can and picked up his first dumbell. And by this time next year hell only need one seat on his next flight.

Theres some qt out there too. She's just thrown some bacon on the pan, sure her parents are health nuts, sure she knows all about nutrition, but she can skip a month or two right? Shell need two plane seats soon enough.

People change daily. Tell me more about how determinism shouldn't be laughed at.

No, seriously tell me. What obligation are you under to be the person you are right now? What authority has demanded you cannot change?

It used to be that men were oppressed by governments, by kings and tyrants. The modern man oppresses himself, and he blames his failure to liberate himself on his upbringing and genetics. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1476102007457.jpg (278KB, 994x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476102007457.jpg
278KB, 994x1500px
>one chance at life
>6'0, above average face, upper middle class family (who are all alive), 6 inch dick, brown hair blue eyes, had my fair share of girls
>still empty inside
>>
>>39062714
Lets say the universe isn't deterministic, lets say it's random, how does randomness allow free will to exist? What kind of universe allows for the existence of free will?
>>
>>39062714
Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives. Fuck off with your sofa units and your strinne green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say never be perfect. Let the chips fall where they may.

Reject the basic assumptions of society, especially the importance of material possessions.

The things you own end up owning you
>>
>>39062714

Every time i ask people this question >>39062764 there's never an answer, i hope you'll change that
>>
File: 1433995366680.jpg (306KB, 1100x730px) Image search: [Google]
1433995366680.jpg
306KB, 1100x730px
>>39061679
It's time to find Christ, anon.
>>
>>39062766
Le cringe.
>>
>>39062793
You never get an answer because you posit a malformed question.

Determinism, the idea that you can never change your path is a rejection of free will. Randomness does not make the argument for free will, determinism makes an argument against it.

In short, there is no answer because your question makes little sense to anyone willing to think about it beyond surface level.
>>
>>39062885
My question was "what kind of universe allows for the existence of free will"

Come on anon, is the universe deterministic? Is it random? Is it a combination of randomness and determinism? Because none of these configurations allow for free will.

If you" religious and believe in god and claim we have free will because of that then god is not omnipotent, because he'd have to know every decision you're going to make in the future to be so, and if he does, how free are you?

I hope your argument isn't "it's magic, i don't have to explain shit"
>>
>>39062846
You'll never be RP like Brad Pitt in Fight Club
>>
File: IMG_1966.jpg (37KB, 599x253px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1966.jpg
37KB, 599x253px
>>39061679
>>
File: toointelligent.png (108KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
toointelligent.png
108KB, 357x368px
>>39062984
>Tfw to intelligent to care about rules
>>
>>39061679
This is philosophy, and can't be proven one way or another. Many minds greater than mine and yours have pondered questions like that for years, for lifetimes, and you know what? Not 1 single useful thing has come of it. Not fucking one. So just pretend you have freewill and do your best
>>
>>39062971
You are making malformed questions.

To ask what kind of universe allows free will requires knowledge from outside our universe.

To ask if this universe is deterministic or random requires complete knowledge of our universe.

Furthermore if the universe is set in stone then so is the future. If the future is set in stone then theoretically there should be a way to predict that future. If there is no way to predict that future then any and all arguments for determinism are moot.

So go on, make a prophecy. Tell me who'll win the US election, how much will they win by? What will they say during their victory speech?
>>
File: IMG_1957.jpg (31KB, 367x390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1957.jpg
31KB, 367x390px
>>39061679
NOT FIT RELATED NOW FUCK OFF
>>
>>39063050
Furthermore if the universe is set in stone then so is the future. If the future is set in stone then theoretically there should be a way to predict that future. If there is no way to predict that future then any and all arguments for determinism are moot.

So go on, make a prophecy. Tell me who'll win the US election, how much will they win by? What will they say during their victory speech?"

>The universe is deterministic
>Creatures exist within the universe
>They are unable to predict the future state of the universe with the instruments at their disposal and senses they're acquired through evolution
>Therefore the universe is not deterministic

You can't be this retarded.
>>
>>39063050
>To ask what kind of universe allows free will requires knowledge from outside our universe.

>To ask whether a square circle can exist requires knowledge outside our universe

>To ask if this universe is deterministic or random requires complete knowledge of our universe.

We can know that certain facts won't hold true for certain systems, there is no number greater than 3 between 1 and 2, we don't need to understand all of mathematics to know this fact
>>
>>39063050

>To ask what kind of universe allows free will requires knowledge from outside our universe.

>To ask whether certain facts will apply given certain conditions requires knowledge from outside our universe.
>>
File: 1476222908281.jpg (41KB, 544x626px) Image search: [Google]
1476222908281.jpg
41KB, 544x626px
That's the plot of Metal Gear Solid, my dude.

You mustn't allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by your genes. Human beings can choose the kind of life that they want to live. What's important is that you choose life... and then live.
>>
>>39061744
Can someone explain this image to me? I'm not good at math
>>
>>39063523
Two different numbers raised to the same power come out as different numbers
>>
>>39061679
you cant change your environment, but you can change your surroundings
>>
Fuck, you kids are so beta and have no willpower nor discipline

It's sad really. Making excuses instead of accepting and being grateful for what you have and improving on it. A part of being a man is to constantly work hard to become a better version of yourself, in a good enviroment or not.
>>
>>39063684
>A part of being a man is to constantly work hard to become a better version of yourself, in a good environment or not.

By who's standards?
>>
>>39062743
how is this possible?
>>
>>39063050
You're retarded. He is asking what type of universe could have free will; you haven't answered that question.
>>
>>39061679
FUCK UP BRAIN WEAKLING
>>
>>39061727
My thoughts exactly.

However its more of a cop out.
Lifes hard dont wanna do any more I GIVE UP.
Its like when you dont wanna go to gym
GO OR DIE YOU WEAK FUCK
>>
File: peppp.jpg (5KB, 250x241px)
peppp.jpg
5KB, 250x241px
>>39064290
>Not being a retard and recognizing that life isn't as simple as "hurr durr just improve bro" is a cop out
>>
>>39064550
I agree its not as simple as go do something.
Its not a simple scalar
Vector is what you are looking for.
If you apply yourself with a purpose, and cut the fucking crap, more or less you can succeed
>>
>>39061679
Nope. There are five different factors that determine your state of mind, ranked from most to least important:
1. Genetics
2. Chemicals
3. Nurture
4. Environment
5. Socialization
>>
>>39064616
> can
>>
>>39064628
Are you a fucking retard? all those things fit into the category of environment, genetics or environmental and genetic interaction
>>
>>39064679
can separates bitches from the strong.
Its more worthwhile to invest in positive mentality first.
Then chase your fucking dreams.
Earn them
>>
>>39064628
Fairly certain thats the wrong way around.
Read Moslows hierarchy of needs
>>
>>39064702
please explain to me how drugs and socialization are an environment/genes
>>
>>39064729
I'm familiar with it. Its not anything to do with basic needs, its a list of what affects your state of mind.
>>
>>39064747
Ugh read more a little more into it. It may be worth time
Its basically the trend in psychology.
The predominate thoughts in ones head are based on deficiency to proficiency in that order
That sounds like a good analogy to mental state to me.
A lot of developmental guys follow a tend along these lines
>>
File: Why.png (135KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
135KB, 512x512px
>>39064730
>please explain to me how substances that are produced by plants, animals or synthesized using materials that are a product of the environment and has varying effects on different people based on how these substances interact with the genes of the consumers can be attributed to the environment or genetics

>please explain to me how interactions between members of my own species that necessitates i have certain genes that don't inhibit me from interacting with other members of my species and is aided by a shared method of communication has anything to do with genes or environment.
>>
>>39064793
Eh, when it comes to development nobody trumps Erikson or Piaget in my book.

>>39064816
fuck off retard
>>
>>39064819
Not him but what you meant to say is that socialization, nurturing, chemicals, are different categories of your environment that can affect you but you ultimately have control over
>>
File: frog.jpg (80KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
80KB, 700x700px
>>39064819
>fuck off retard

I've never been btfo to this degree, even me, with an IQ of 200, can't rebut this.
>>
I like Piaget fo sho
However i disagree that age has to be intrinsically tied to development and mental state after brain developments close to complete.

I do agree that its generally true as an age dependant EMPHASIS.
eg
20+s wanna make a family so loves an issue. need somebody to trust
Old people are too tired to do anything other then reflect
>>
Oh yeah the twin studys! thats actually far more important. Iq mental state is more dependent on environmental family then biological even in identical twins
>>
>>39064874
> Iq mental state is more dependent on environmental family then biological even in identical twins
Source? i'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite
>>
No there is no free will

But there is the illusion of free will so we keep trucking on
>>
>>39064826
>socialization, nurturing, chemicals, are different categories of your environment
no
Environment is the associations/memories you have with objects, the temperature, and colors that you can detect with your senses.
Chemicals are things you put in your body and get metabolized.
Socialization is the act of interacting with other living things.
These are 3 different things.
>>
>>39064938
>Chemicals are things you put in your body and get metabolized.

Where do chemicals cone from? what are they a product of?

>Socialization is the act of interacting with other living things.

What allows socialization to occur?
>>
File: tmp_4717_giphy_450852435.gif (452KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4717_giphy_450852435.gif
452KB, 500x252px
>>39064938
Okay buddy
>>
>>39064938
Think of it this way buddy.

Your senses ,which allow you to socialize, are a product of your genes, the medium through which you socialize is the environment, therefore, socialization fits into the category of gene and environmental interaction.
Get it now?
>>
>>39064897
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2138795/
actual study theres a few that link to it too
My uni books all say genetics play a small role but its more of a upper limit. Greater enviro impact

an article for the mums
http://www.sparknotes.com/psychology/psych101/intelligence/section3/page/2/
>>
>>39065202
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-heritability-of-intelligence-not-what-you-think/
http://www.education.com/reference/article/effects-heredity-environment-intelligence/
>>
>>39065236

'Numerous researchers have found that the structure of cognitive abilities is strongly influenced by genes"
"What these findings do suggest is that there is a much greater role of culture, education, and experience in the development of intelligence than mainstream theories of intelligence have assumed"
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.