[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has fitness helped anyone here with depression, anxiety, or just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: running-alone.jpg (110KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
running-alone.jpg
110KB, 1024x682px
Has fitness helped anyone here with depression, anxiety, or just a general bad attitude towards life? Can you share your stories?
>>
File: 1475940404933.jpg (86KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1475940404933.jpg
86KB, 612x612px
>spend all my highschool years convincing myself im gonna be a professional fighter
>drop out of college because fuck it gonna be a professional fighter
>not even that good
>dont even train because too busy partying
>go to jail
>neet
>not gonna be a professional fighter
>get slammed everynight
>havent felt happiness in years
>come across a zyzz video
>feeling reborn
>start working out
>stop smoking and drinking
>get job as security guard
>move out
>gain muscle, confidence
>new outlook on life
>start self-teaching computer science

And here I am. Woohoo! We're all gonna make it brah.
>>
File: ysxd7PD.png (167KB, 538x502px) Image search: [Google]
ysxd7PD.png
167KB, 538x502px
>>39024533
>be depressed
>decide to start lifting
still depressed but i can pick up heavier things now so theres that
>>
>>39024658
Just keep lifting till you're strong enough to pull yourself out of depression.
>>
>>39024592
lol pretty interesting story

what were you in for?
>>
>>39024658
But when you look at yourself in the mirror, do you feel any better? Or when you feel like the real world is suffocating, is the gym a place where you can forget about things a bit?
>>
>>39024533
freshman year of college
>fresh out of all guy school
>couldn't talk to girls
>superbeta.exe
>didn't study
>played vidja all day
>didn't work out

Junior
>wake up 6am
>cook all meals
>can actually talk to girls and get their number
>study like a fucking mad man
>run, row, or lift every day except either saturday or sunday
>no more anxiety
>no more suicidal thoughts

it's bretty gud we're gonna make it
>>
File: 1451239297766.jpg (41KB, 500x375px)
1451239297766.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
Lifting has been the single most impactful thing I've ever done in my life to combat my depression. Its helped me get off my anti-depressants, get over bad relationships, etc.

Still pretty fucked in the head, but hey, I work with what I got and don't complain. Definition of a functioning alcoholic and always require some sort of numbing agent to get by, but I know it would be MUCH worse without the lifting.
>>
>>39024533
Not gonna bs you.
Lifting alone won't fix your life. It's what you learn from lifting.

Lifting has taught me discipline. It pulled me away from heroin. It gave me a pass time other than vidya. It's taught me to grow a pair and fucking do it. Because of lifting, I can be more confident because of that magic testosterone and a better body.

You've got to put in work to fix yourself aside from lifting. You want change, get after it.

That all said, lifting helped me get a gf and get laid tonight.
>>
>>39024702
Raping my gf's toddler son
>>
>>39024533
Helped me a lot. I was a loaner at school, started running, pushing hard and spent most night out walking or running even pushups and situps along the way. I joined the army and was looked up to because I was in the top 3 quickest runners, geez it felt good! Girls would ask me to help them with their fitness. After I left the army and became porkins. My depression and anxiety kicked in. I was back to square one. Now that i'm exercising again I really am feeling better. I now believe that the world is a lot easier to get by in if you're fit.
>>
I've lifted through every bad time in my adult life. Break ups, bad semesters at College, problems with friends, general drama. Lifting has always been there, the gym has always been there, the first timers, the curl bros, the jacked bros, the smelly arabs, the gym is where I'm most comfortable and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My buddy who was my workout partner for a year stopped lifting as much. (I'm not one to push people to go once it's obvious they aren't into it anymore) He was having a rough time with grills, and wanted to hang quite a bit to get his mind off things. Ended up getting him back into the gym, he even said today that the gym really helps him through it all. Something familiar constant, goals to work towards.
>>
>>39024702
Breaking up a fight.
>>
>>39025131

Y'all need Jesus
>>
I wasn't depressed or anything but it helped me get out of NEET status. Before I would just spend most of my days at home and waste time on my computer, went back to uni age 24 and I really changed my life around

Mostly running helped me get focused and motivated. It changes your mood in subtle ways
>>
My depression, which stemmed from self hatred, went away with lifting. I'm a much better person with actual self worth now.

Gave me confidence which lessened my social anxiety, so I could talk to people properly.
Which got me off drugs I was using as an excuse for being a social retard.

I would recommend lifting to all young men, whether they are going through a rough time or not.
>>
>>39025182
Nigga comes by every tuesday to mow my lawn. Does an excellent job but im still depressed
>>
File: 1458110200545.jpg (41KB, 739x735px) Image search: [Google]
1458110200545.jpg
41KB, 739x735px
Lifting for the past 4 months has done great deals for me, mental health wise. It's given me structure in life and controlling diet is for many a tool to seize back control on the chaos of their lives. This, paired with weekly visits to the psychotherapist (most of the heavy emotional lifting is done here), has begun to reverse the past 6 years of depression/anxiety.

This change in attitude couldn't have come at a better time since I also met the girl of my dreams. The crushing pressure from within to succeed and get on with the supposed timeline of my life is no longer as asphyxiating, as I have come to terms with showing myself some mercy and has led to a healthy sense of scale and time.

Please, seek help as well. You'll need to learn to reconfigure your whole life.
>>
Going out for runs few times a week has helped me a bit. It clears my head pretty nicely.
If I get really depressed and dont go out for runs, I notice I starts moking more cigarettes.
>>
>>39025396
> turn 360 degrees
> walk away
>>
File: 1471669230204.jpg (9KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
1471669230204.jpg
9KB, 223x226px
>>39024533
The first things doctors tell people with depression is that diet and excersise will help. People who are depressed usually have horrible diets and are not receiving the nutrients there brains need. I was depressed for 6 years and started just watching my diet and feel better everyday. I actually am starting to feel real emotions again. I don't feel hollow anymore.
>>
>>39025157
>I was a loaner at school,
better being a loaner than a borrower.
>>
>>39025177
i know someone who ended up in jail for that. unfortunate circumstances.
>>
Used to be a nervous wreck, still get anxious and borderline anxiety attack tier now and then. Usually when alone if I'm overthinking shit.

I used to workout a 1am or later because I didn't want to deal with other people. I feel much better now but as above it's not always perfect. Still don't feel comfortable in large crowds.
>>
depressed

try working out

still depressed, but my pecs jiggle when i go down stairs
its an alright feel
>>
>>39024533
I think you guys gonna get bored of this story since I have posted it like a hundred times

>being 23 yo, in college, chad as fuck
>world crisis
>have to leave college, depression and family problems make me spend the next 7 years isolated from the outside world. My life is basically work, get in my room and spend my time browsing /v/ and /tv/ while playing videogames
>30 yo
>meet a girl in a bdsm website
>turns uot she's a real girl. Turns out she lives in my city. Turns out she's intersted in me
>talk to her for five months, fall deeply in love, met, start a relationship
>she's into fit guys
>proceed to get fit
>start lifting, boxing and running, weight drops quickly
>she leaves me
>I want to fucking die
>weight keeps dropping, from 140 kg (300 lbs) to 90 kg (200 lbs) in eight months
>turns out I'm looking good
>turns out I'm feeling good
>install tinder
>fuck girls
>meet qt, start dating
>she loves me like I did love that other girl
>look back and get shocked about how much my life has changed in less than a year
>>
File: fugg.jpg (130KB, 868x870px) Image search: [Google]
fugg.jpg
130KB, 868x870px
>>39024533
No. That was the ambition. But I was just running away from the causes and it didn't help. In the end I had to accept that if I ever wanted to feel better I'd have to transition to womanhood.
>>
>tfw depressed
>on a cut
>can barely stomach thought of food

i have eaten over 1000 calories twice in the past week
>>
>>39025157
I always had enough pens for all
>>
after wrestling practice (or any workout that really phsically exhausts me) it pretty much cures my social anxiety for an hour after. then reduces my social anxiety while im regularly attending practices.
>>
>>39026250
Rem best girl
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.