[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Phraks Greyskull LP any good? I'm a beginner looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: GSLP.png (47KB, 547x465px) Image search: [Google]
GSLP.png
47KB, 547x465px
Is Phraks Greyskull LP any good?

I'm a beginner looking to gain strength.
I've done some fucking brosplit for 5 months now and it fucking sucks.
>>
That looks like a more intermediate program, just do a PPL if you're a beginner,
>>
>>39016914
Except for the Amrap its a great program. Theres a /fit/ version floating around somewhere
>>
>>39016921
Please stop giving advice. Thx bye.
>>
File: fitgreyskull.png (37KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
fitgreyskull.png
37KB, 700x600px
>>39016933
You mean this?
>>
>>39016921
>PPL

I wanna gain strength man
>>
I prefer the Reg Park 5x5 desu. Simple, straight to the point and everything gets hit
>>
>>39016921

Don't ever give shitty advice here ever again.
>>
It is good op, I'm seeing better gains with it than the ppl I was doing before.
I assume it's because now I workout just 3 x week, my muscles have more time to rest and I'm eating big.
>>
>>39016933
>Except for the Amrap its a great program.
Explain please. Also the /fit/ version (>>39016972) has amrap too.

Some anons here in routine threads said Phraks GSLP is better than /fit/'s and the guys at Reddit seem to agree. I'm currently on the fence.
Which one is better? And I have no fucking clue what kind of accessories I need to add, if any at all.
>>
It's pretty gud

Here's a spreadsheet you can use too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar4y987WtNQ5dDlQQ1BES3RBOTlWUW5zVnlnTVljRnc&usp=sharing

Set your starting weight and increment amounts on the right
>>
Decent thing to do for 6 weeks.
>>
>>39017013
:^)
>>
>>39017255
why only for 6 weeks?
>>
>>39017169
Phraks greyskull is the absolute perfectly balanced base. I actually disagree with the AMRAP though, that's a good way to fuck shit up for a new lifter.

Any accessories to add are up to personal preference. My first choice would be dumbbell bench which gives you extra chest, front delt, and tricep work. Curls are an obvious pick for a lot of people. Face pulls for rear delt and shoulder health. Lunges for dat ass. You get the idea.

But those accessories are optional, you'll be plenty happy just progressing on those 6 lifts
>>
>>39017299
Stagnation. But i like training in avariety of ways. I will probably do something like this in december
>>
>>39017505
>I actually disagree with the AMRAP though, that's a good way to fuck shit up for a new lifter.

how/why?
>>
I've been using the Texas Method with curls and pec flies as accessories. Also I do not do front squats.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>39016921
What kind of piece of shit deliberately spreads misinformation to someone trying to improve themselves? Read the sticky and fuck off
>>
>>39017670
Because new lifters are not a good judge of how much they have left in the tank. This leads to bad form which leads to mistakes.

If you get through your 3x5 and it feels super easy go ahead and try to add extra weight next session.
>>
File: texas_method.png (14KB, 341x207px) Image search: [Google]
texas_method.png
14KB, 341x207px
>>39017726
>>
Start with SS for a few months if you care about strength.
Or SL if you don't really care about strength that much, and then switch to GSLP
Deadlifting only one a week and squatting twice isn't ideal when you can deadlift 1-2x a week and squat 3 with little to no problems
>>
>>39016972

I never understood in this plan what alternating means. Does this mean you do ohp and chins every day the first week and then switch to bp and rows second week, which is insane? Or does it just mean to alternate the first two workouts day by day so you do ohp/chin/squat then bp/row/dl then ohp/chin/squat then bp/row/squat?
>>
>>39017505
Phrak's version has you squat AFTER doing ohp and rows
that's retarded
>>
>>39016914
If you're more concerned with upper body and aren't a big deadlift fan then yeah it looks OK
>>
>>39018667
no, you ohp every other day, you bench every other day etc.
>>
>>39018667
week 1:
bench/row/squat
Ohp/chins/diddy
bench/row/squat

week 2:
ohp/chins/squat
bench/row/diddy
ohp/chins/squat
>>
>>39018714
why?
The argument for squatting last is that Squatting affects the upper body lifts more than the upper body lifts will affect your squat.
>>
>>39017505
>>39017742
Thanks for the clarification anon. I'll do Phraks greyskull and add stuff when I feel like body parts are lagging behind!
>>
>>39016921
This fucking cuck man. Seriously
>>
Do you suggest doing DL first or last during your workout? Doesn't the chance of injury get higher if youre tired?
>>
>>39019423
Why do people so often ask questions that could be answered with "try and see for yourself"?

How come people don't think for themselves anymore?
>>
>>39019209
>>39019102
Thanks. That does make the most sense but still seems poorly written.
>>
>>39016914
What exactly makes this program significantly better or different from SL or SS?
>>
>>39020759
Comes down to personal preference and power cleans. SS has the best source material and guidance for understanding programming and the lifts. SS also has "phases" where your programming changes a few times. Main differences are volume and exercise selection and frequency.
>>
>>39016972
The deload on this doesn't really make sense. Why change it from failing on final set?
>>
>>39016921
Worst post on /fit/ in weeks
>>
The AMRAP is great because it's auto regulation tailored for noobs. That alone makes it better than SS IMO.
>>
>>39017742
AMRAP is important because it allows you to set volume PRs when you stall and continue to progress.

Deloading without AMRAP risks a novice just spinning their wheels since they arn't getting enough training volume to break the plateau.

I honestly think the risks of including AMRAP are hugely outweighed by the benefits. Very rarely is anyone going to properly injure themselves and after a few weeks it should be pretty easy to realise when you've only got one rep left in the tank.
>>
>>39020879
Because deloading shouldn't be the go to option for a plateau. That just results in noviced spinning their wheels when things get slightly heavy
>>
>>39020952
I'm approaching intermediate weights for some of my lifts. Im doing greyskull after losing my gains this summer.

I failed my deadlifts twice this week at 295. So I'm definitely deloading and working on form.

I'm failed my bench at 150 on my second set and I'm going for a retry. This is my max weight from last year, so what would you recommend I do?
>>
>>39020993
Identify weak points. Target them with secondary variations of the lifts. Get more volume in and get stronger.
>>
>>39020907
Seconded. Ran SS, took huge break, ran greyskull, would strongly recommend greyskull as perfect beginner program as long as you're able to not be a fucking idiot and get snapped by amrap
>>
>>39017227
Then why'd you trash it
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.