[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ what would happen if you spread out your sets throughout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: JkHGMzt.jpg (235KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
JkHGMzt.jpg
235KB, 1280x853px
/fit/ what would happen if you spread out your sets throughout the day?

For example: you carry around a dumbell in your bag and you curl a set every hour, will you make the same amount of gains?

pic unrelated
>>
File: doublesguy.jpg (12KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
doublesguy.jpg
12KB, 248x249px
bump, also checked
>>
I think you should do it and report back to us.
>>
>>39009533
No, because your muscles being tired for the second set makes the exercise harder. It would only work if you go to failure (or close to failure) because then you're getting those harder reps in.

In fact most reps are a waste until you start really struggling. You could curl once every thirty minutes and get up to 20 reps in ten hours, but doing 20 reps in 2 minutes will give you more gains.
>>
>>39009533
Well for one, a single dumbbell isnt going to be enough for any significant amount of gains, e.g. if youre goblet squatting the same as you are curling youre not going to make a lot of progress, but to get to the main point of the question I don't think spaxing your sets out over the day would be as effective as if you were to do all of them in one session.
Why do you ask? I'm sure there are other ways to go about it if you are short on time or something
>>
>>39009568
im a uni student, so i could just store a dumbell in a locker, and curl a set during a lecture probably
>>
>>39009586
Just curious
>>
>>39009533
I used to do that, but eventually the weight you carry is too small/too big to carry around.
Also the space they take in your pack is bothersome.
>>
>>39009586
Well, time certainly is an issue for me. But I guess the question is also meant towards rest time in general, as in, would you make the same amount of gains with lots of volume over a longer period of time.
>>
>>39009652
Probably not, as this anon >>39009584 said, with an exercise like dumbbell curls the main benefit of the exercise comes from the cumulative tension on the muscle which builds as you do more sets and reps without giving the muscle time to recover.
>>
how about if you do 3 consecutive sets of dumbell curls every hour?
>>
>>39009729
Well i think every hour is too much volume, what if you did 3 consecutive sets of heavy set of dumbell curls every 3 hours
>>
>>39009652>>39009687
And if time is the issue you should look into a bodyweight routine. Bodyweight fitness starts off fairly slowly but as you get into the more advanced exercises you can make some pretty incredible gains.
It will also look a hell of a lot better than whipping out a dumbbell and doing a bunch of curls outside your class/work or whatever if youre doing it on the go.
>>
>>39009533
What causes the adaptation that makes your muscles grow larger is the micro-tears that you cause in them when you lift. If you wait hours between sets, some of the repairs will already have started, and you'll just re-tear what was already torn. In the long run you'd make less gains. There's reasons things are done the way they're done, stop assuming you're smarter than thousands of years of study of exercise science.

Also,
>curls
Please kill yourself.
>>
today i saw a guy doing a strange exercise.

>straddling the barbell like a witch on a broom about 3/4 through
>the further end is on the ground
>the closer end, facing him, has a 5kg weight on it
>he goes into a half squat and starts moving the barbell up and down with his arms
>kinda like pulling a lever between his legs repeatedly

what was this called? he took a bar from the first squat rack was doing it BETWEEN the two squat racks and when i tried to do squats in the second squat rack and the end of my barbell got too close to his face and he gave me a dirty look so i mumbled sorry and left

i've never seen it before. is it a meme thing?
>>
>>39010135
They're not new, they're just a special snowflake type row. people do them at my gym all the time, they bought some special handle for the barbells so all the curlbros keep doing them on the deadlift platform.
>>
>>39010135
sounds like he's trying to do T-Bar rows with a barbell.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.