[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, what do you think of swimming? It's pretty much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: swimmers_shoulder.jpg (16KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
swimmers_shoulder.jpg
16KB, 450x297px
Guys, what do you think of swimming?

It's pretty much established that 95% of (male) swimmers are based af when it comes to fit physiques .

Think it's time to start swimming on off days or no?
>>
Its booooooooooooooooooooooorin
>>
Swimming's great for your physique as long as you don't mind doing tons of laps
>>
>>39009245
Thats subjective tbqh fäm. That "boringness" is one of the reasons why I like swimming.. No other distractions, just you and your thoughts.
>>
>>39009227
Its god tier for cardio and you would quite literally become really athletic.

It obvious doesn't build much muscle mass since it endurance based and it kills your shoulders.

That's it.
>>
Best cardio there is. Chlorine also kills bacteria which reduces acne.
>>
File: strong-gymnast.jpg (61KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
strong-gymnast.jpg
61KB, 396x594px
>>39009227
Inferior to the God-tier art of Gymanstics
>>
File: male_gymnast-rings.jpg (31KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
male_gymnast-rings.jpg
31KB, 300x180px
>>39009602
>>
>>39009602
I'm pretty sure gymnastics isn't considered cardio but it is god-tier yes.
>>
>>39009689
True, it's more muscular endurance/strength
>>
Meh with my genetics ill probably look like Brock Lesnar b4 i look like super twink
>>
>>39009227

Redpill me on chlorine. Does it have any negative effects.
>>
File: Florent-Manadou-Celebrates.jpg (39KB, 385x287px) Image search: [Google]
Florent-Manadou-Celebrates.jpg
39KB, 385x287px
Doing laps in a clean uncrowded pool is relaxing
>>
>>39009771
It kills bacteria which can be good for your skin but it kinda messes with your hair a little bit. Remember to shower after going swimming.
>>
>>39009689
Do you even know what cardio is?

18+
>>
>>39009815

Oh good I'm already bald. Now I wont need to shower, thanks anon.
>>
>>39009867
At least shower before you enter the swimming pool.
>>
>>39009245
more boring than picking up a bar and putting it down repeatedly?
>>
>>39009560
>tfw chronic dry skin

wish there was a salt water pool near me. fucking sick of chlorine ruining my skin
>>
>>39009560
Does dry your skin out which causes skin problems too. Luckily I swim in a salt water pool, so my skin looks pretty good due to that.

Recently bought some underwater headphones, it's nice to listen to tunes while I train - though it doesn't work as well if you get a slight film of water between the buds and your ear. Either way it's pretty neat.

I love swimming and it's what has kept me fit more than going to the gym. I can go hot and cold with lifting but I'll always be in the pool.
>>
>>39010124
Tell me more about the headphones anon
>>
>>39010114
it's great for acne though.
>>
>>39010240
TELL ME ABOUT THE HEADPHONES. WHY DO THEY GO UNDERWATER?
>>
>>39010082
Fuck you. A deadlift is like a full body orgasm
>>
>>39009302
>Thats subjective tbqh fäm. That "boringness" is one of the reasons why I like swimming.. No other distractions, just you and your thoughts.
>No other distractions, just you and your thoughts.

sounds like hell
>>
>>39009245
>>39010240

anyone that can't stand to be left alone with their thoughts because of "boredom" is dumb
>>
>>39011629
18 year old for sure.
>>
no boring.

you are trying to hit a consistent time per 100.
you have to fight your brain.
keep pushing.

harder to climb into a pain cave.
I can do that on the bike trainer
even occaisonally on the treadmill
never swimming, no pain cave there
>>
>people consciously pee into the water they're swimming in
>are not disgusted when they take mouthfuls of pee water
>One man's pee mixed in with another man's pee
It's basically a toilet. Also, swimmers are very prone to getting athlete's foot. The last time i went to a public pool i ended up with a plantar wart
>>
any swimming routines to >make it ?
>>
>>39010124
>underwater headphones

I have an older Speedo MP3 player for swimming.
makes long sets doable
as in 6-8x500m,

Also useful to help with race day pacing practice.
>>
>>39012714
Would it be called, dare I say it, "Starting Swim"?
>>
>>39012705
Assuming they are peeing though (post people who aren't kids know this is a douche thing to do) that's like a couple of litres of urine amongst a couple thousand litres of water.
>>
lets settle this

Sprinting VS Swimming
>>
Pros : become physically taller and more fit
Cons: really bad for skin eyes and hair.

Still the best exercise beside biking though
>>
>>39009227
Boring but healthy af
>>
>>39012768
actually >1 million litres lol, so it's like 1/1000th of a percent
>>
>>39012777
Everyone can swimm. You need to be already fit to be able to sprint without risking a serious injury.
>>
>>39012777
I'd take swimming all day if a large, well maintained, and cheap pool was close by.
Will have to settle with sprinting for now.
>>
>>39012815
Can confirm

Fell for the shuttles=calf gains meme.

Warmed up for a good 5 minutes. pulled hammy on first step of first shuttle, pulled calf on second step of first shuttle. Couldn't do leg day for a month.
>>
I've been getting back into swimming after not setting foot in a pool for about 6 or 7 years. Been pretty fun, going 3 times a week for about an hour and a half.

My fitness isn't what it used to be, but luckily my form's still great. Old people keep asking me for advice, and I'm thinking of joining a swimming team next year so I can enter meets that offer open events.
>>
>>39009771
>>39009867

If you go in a swimming pool with chlorine, ideally it shouldn't smell like anything. If it does, that's because of some byproduct of the chlorine cleaning out the pool from dirt, like people's dirt, loose hair, piss, sweat, and other filth.
Do everyone a favor at the pool/gym a favor and shower before you enter the water, and also don't pee in the water because you think nobody will notice. They will from the smell.
>>
>>39012777
High chance of damaging your joints vs god tier cardio? Hmmmmmmmm
>>
>>39012791
>really bad for skin eyes and hair.
>what are swimming goggles
>what are swimming caps
>>39012815
>Everyone can swimm.
Depends on where you live. Here in Germany, I would say everyone above the age of 8 can swim. But in America, I've met people who can't swim, and people who can swim but only just good enough to not drown for 3 minutes.
So no, not everyone can swim. Unlike running, which can LITERALLY be done by everyone who isn't crippled.
>hurr muh sprained ankle from sprinting
Not as bad literally dying if you drown.
>>
>>39012968
tips on form?
>>
>>39012567
woman for sure.
>>
>>39013270
Most likely that and technique.
>>
You know all swimmers go to the gym as well.
>>
High school swimmer, swam 4 years every week day for 2-3 hours year round including summers.

I naturally have strong lats, back, abs, quads, and pecs from butterfly and freestyle. Getting into the gym i started at almost two plate squat and about 115 pounds on lat pulldowns. Also started with good delts and shoulders. Swimming is great cardio and if strokes are learned properly will really help DYELs to get some strength before getting into weights.

Also, running kills swim gains but swimming makes you a good runner naturally. If you are going for times in swim, do not run.
>>
>>39009227
i love swimming and hate running but theres only one place in town with a pool and its not open when i go to the gym.
>>
File: 1437881654957.jpg (56KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1437881654957.jpg
56KB, 1024x768px
> elite tier athletes who are the cream of the genepool, dedicate their lives to training and are on privately developed doping protocols have fit physiques
> therefore im going to start doing a few laps at the local pool on my days off
>>
>>39014493
>>elite tier athletes who are the cream of the genepool, dedicate their lives to training and are on privately developed doping protocols have fit physiques
>therefore im going to start lifting heavy things and putting them down on my days off
i may never be Arnold but ill be better tomorrow than i am today
>>
>>39010240
They're Sony Walkmans, can't remember what model, but just google Sony underwater headphones. They wrap around the back of your head. You transfer songs to a storage device on the right ear that's built in to the headphone and there are a few buttons for fast-forwarding and song skipping/pausing.

I don't use them often but they're good for doing long distance (2-3+) swims. Obviously I don't wear them for sprints though.
>>
>>39013270
Competitive swimmer here.

For front crawl, keep your arms parallel to each other so that as your arms enter the pool you're effectively in a completely straight line.

Keep your head up, don't stare at the bottom of the pool. You want to be looking directly ahead.

As you're pulling down through the water make an S motion with your hands. This helps to displace the water and get your hands out faster.

Learn how to tumble-turn.

For breakstroke you don't want to be kicking and pulling simultaneously, because that leaves you gliding when you could be moving yourself forward. Kick first and then as soon as tournament legs return to their original pre-kick position you want to pull, once your arms have returned to their original position then you can kick again. Just repeat that.
>>
>>39014629
*your legs, not tournament legs
>>
>>39014629
Hi, I'm a brand new swimmer and try freestyle yesterday and I am learning from scratch, I done a few lengths on a 25m pool and I need to get my technique right first. What I found most difficult was coming up for breath, what would you recommend for this?

I done 4 strokes and them came up on the side, usually on one side but sometimes on the other depending if I feel like I'm gasping for breath.

Any other tips for a complete newbie?
>>
>tfw 28 years old
>can't swim strongly at all

Is swimming in the sea any easier than a pool? People say the saltiness of the sea makes you more buoyant but I don't know how much I believe it.

I can swim maybe 50m in a pool before I get exhausted. My cardio health is good otherwise so it must be technique.

I just want to know if I ever fall into the sea by accident, am I fucked?
>>
>>39014657
You want to be doing three strokes and then coming up. That way you alternate which side you're breathing on. Not sure why it matters that you alternate, but coaches have always told me to do it that way. You want to be breathing out the entire time you're doing those three strokes, trying to empty your lungs as much as possible. When you come up for air, try not to point your head too far up because that causes you to body to roll and will increase drag and time it takes you to return to normal position. Instead, you want to have your mouth barely above the water line so that you can just get air in without swallowing water. Most swimmers will barely expose half their face when breathing.

Also, don't worry about choosing to breath through your nose or mouth. There's no right or wrong way, just do what feels right.

If you're serious about getting into swimming then buy a pair of jammers if you haven't already. I recommend speedo Endurance+, I've found them to be the best quality. You're going to find it difficult to reach any good speed in normal baggy trunks because of the drag they produce.
>>
>>39014676
Sea is more buoyant but you will definitely drown faster in a sea than a pool because you have to deal with the wind, the current and the cold (maybe sharks too?).

Either way, if you're not a strong swimmer, definitely do not go swimming in the sea as that's really dangerous, unless it's calm and there are lifeguards on duty.
>>
>>39014676
Swimming in the sea is harder because the waves will be pushing you around and making breathing more difficult. You're also fighting against a current most of the time, which adds to the difficulty.

I'd recommend not falling in anon, especially if you're getting tired after 50m. Just practise more in the pool if you're ever scared of drowning at sea. For swimming, cardio is much more important than muscle.
>>
Can confirm was swimmer in high school based and lots of pussy
>>
it is pretty relaxing and a good cardio
>mfw im starting swimming after 1-2 years of lifting
>>
>>39014657
Youtube has a series called "Total Immersion Perpetual Motion Freestyle'
>>
>>39014629
Also, you want to keep your back a little curved, that allows for the water to run past your body more effectively.
And you should breathe through your nose. It's actually a common thing for beginners to breathe through their mouth, but that's a sign that you are messing up in your form somewhere and not allowing yourself to breathe through your nose. That, or you're just too exhausted to breathe right
>>
File: 1427008315886.jpg (2MB, 2057x3085px) Image search: [Google]
1427008315886.jpg
2MB, 2057x3085px
>swimming thread
>no qt22/7s in swimsuits
you fags disgust me
>>
>>39014629
>S shape

Nice meme

went out of style in 2010
>>
>>39014629
my legs always sink if i look forward so putting my head down is the only way for me to not tire myself out too quick
>>
File: ass.jpg (320KB, 1200x1670px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
320KB, 1200x1670px
>>39015251
>>
>>39015979
>tfw no qt asian swimmer gf
>>
Awesome cardio though it can be hard on your shoulders if you don't stretch them a lot. The worst part for me is turning around in the 50 m pool since it ruins my rhythm.

I tried swimming in the ocean and the sun felt great on my back. The water was calm too but once I could no longer see the sand through my googles I pussied out and swam back to the shallows. I ended up getting caught up in a rip current and had to swim parallel to the shore for a little while. Luckily I was cheating and used a snorkel and managed to get back to shore safely. I probably wont do it again because of sharks
>>
File: 1471216523722.jpg (379KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1471216523722.jpg
379KB, 1280x1920px
>>39015979
NOICE
>>
>>39015481
Just the way I was taught mate, works fine for me
>>39015631
You're not kicking hard enough
>>
>>39014699
Cheers for the advice bro, I'll try to apply it next week at the pool.. swimming is going to be my side sport hopefully and lifting primary
>>
>>39018475
Happy to help pal, and yeah that's what I do. Started off swimming and then my PRs plateaued so I began to lift to compliment. Now I'm getting faster times every time I swim, feels good.
>>
>>39014629
>Keep your head up, don't stare at the bottom of the pool. You want to be looking directly ahead.
>In front crawl
10/10
>>
>>39018869
What?
>>
>>39014629
high quality bait.
>>
>>39011602
Your reaction says a lot about you as a person
>>
File: drink.png (177KB, 300x580px) Image search: [Google]
drink.png
177KB, 300x580px
>>39011602
normie detected

gtfo m8

who here /yoohoochocolatedrink/?
it helps with gains
>>
The mouth breathing gives them weird faces
>>
>>39012714
I started recently and this is mine

200 medley warmup

25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50,25 meter freestyle kick

250 meter any style

Repeat kicks but butterfly this time

250 m any style

12x25 meter sprints

Cool down of a couple laps
>>
File: 1430696034702.jpg (278KB, 1002x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1430696034702.jpg
278KB, 1002x1280px
>>
File: 1448969883629.png (956KB, 681x947px) Image search: [Google]
1448969883629.png
956KB, 681x947px
>>39012714
Are you starting to learn or already know?
>>
I have always have trouble breathing when doing free style pulling my head out to breathe is a very awkward motion for me no matter how much I practice.Help me lads
>>
>>39025452

Literally nothing but practice and working on the technique, bring your head up 'in' your arm pit, that's the advise I have been given and so far so good
>>
>>39022628

I feel sorry for lads with a 25m pool. 50m is GOAT. You always push that extra bit because once you start a 50 you don't want to give up in the middle. 25 gives you an easy way out.
>>
>>39009227
Guys should I shave? I am like a jungle and I was wondering if that's unpleasant to others
>>
File: swimmers.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
swimmers.webm
2MB, 853x480px
>>39009227
I wish I had one to marry
>>
>>39026552
oh god, I wonder what life would be like to look like that. a perfect fucking twink.
>>
>>39026594
I wouldn't say perfect twink, not soft enough for that. But I imagine it feels good.
>>
File: Low histamine foods.png (89KB, 756x1604px) Image search: [Google]
Low histamine foods.png
89KB, 756x1604px
>>39015481
After you displace 6 or so inches of water with your hand a little vaccum is created in the water, if you continue your motion you won't be pulling anything, your wasting energy. its more efficient to put a curve in the stroke to displace more water and propel yourself further

Thats what i was taught
>>
>>39026644
why would you want foods free from gluten?
>>
>>39026849

if you're celiac you mong
>>
>>39024168
already knwo the strokes besides butterfly, but im a dogshit swimmer, can barely manage 25 m free..
>>
>>39026644
It's bad for your shoulders due to the palms out, thumb first entry
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.