[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you reconcile Epicureanism and lifting? It seems to largely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 1465042758790.jpg (41KB, 640x839px) Image search: [Google]
1465042758790.jpg
41KB, 640x839px
How do you reconcile Epicureanism and lifting? It seems to largely favor a stoic mindset and I don't consider that to be a mindset that anyone should choose if they have the privilege to do without it.
>>
just remember that Epicurus was just a cucked Aristippus
>>
File: 1475745161297.png (9KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
1475745161297.png
9KB, 640x479px
>>39002877
>>
It will bring you more pleasure in the long run. Calculated epicureanism.
>>
>>39002877
>Epicureanism
knowing you made it is the highest of fulfillment, no?
>>
>>39002909
I'm probably more of a hedonist than an epicurean but no matter how I look at it, stoicism and similar philosophy is just lessening the experience of life by numbing yourself. It makes sense in a terrible situation, but I'm not necessarily in one.
>>39002931
I don't care even if that's true. To calculate life is stupid, chaos is aesthetic, internal and external, not gonna give it up.
>>
>>39002943
I would argue that lifting contradicts that notion, that chaos is aesthetic.
>>
>>39002962
Zyzz is Dionysus incarnate.
>>
>>39002980
both Spartans and Athenians worked out. I suppose it's a matter of self
>>
>>39003002
Yes, but the disciplinarian, relatively stoic spartans created less works than the athenians
>>
>>39003019
Plato and Socrates considered it a moral duty to yourself, to get fit
I don't think vikings gave much of a shit, as long as there was plenty of loot and sloots

With that in mind I would argue that aesthetics brings cosmos, and thus that chaos can be aesthetic is false.

Take your shit to Reddit next time
>>
>>39002943
If your life philosophy excludes lifting, then either don't lift or accept that not all of your chosen actions will be philosophically consistent.
>>
>>39003104
>I don't think vikings gave much of a shit, as long as there was plenty of loot and sloots
Vikings would straight up kill you if you weren't fit. the fat merry viking is a myth. They were also a poet culture perhaps more than any other culture ever, so it's a bad argument.
And I'm not sure I buy the argument that lifting is unchaotic, just that it's easier to achieve greater results with stoicism.
>>
>>39003104
I'm with this guy
>>
>>39003133
No wait this guy makes sense
>>
>>39003149
>>39003140
I don't know what your end-game is but I like your style.
>>
File: 1475918985210.jpg (108KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1475918985210.jpg
108KB, 960x639px
>>39003203
>tfw ignorance is bliss
>>
>>39003133
>Vikings would straight up kill you if you weren't fit. the fat merry viking is a myth.
This is just not true. Most vikings were settlers who were looking for new homes after a population boom in Scandinavia, these people were farmers not raiders Being fat was a sign of wealth, but they weren't fat enough that they couldn't move well (like landwhales think is acceptable).

Viking raiders were actually very uncommon and those kinds of wars were done when there was civil unrest at home.
>>
>>39003345
nigga the word "viking" specifically refers to the northern people that raided or invaded, not the farmers.The settlers were just danes or swedes or norwegians.
>>
File: 1467405307413.gif (941KB, 280x206px) Image search: [Google]
1467405307413.gif
941KB, 280x206px
>>39003345>>39003361
Who tf is telling the truth ?
>>
>>39003345
>>39003361
also the book of virtues with the most authority in the nordic culture absolutely denounced indulgence.
A gluttonous man who guzzles away
Brings sorrow on himself:
At the table of the wise he is taunted often,
Mocked for his bloated belly,
>>
>>39003361
Nah you're wrong. Could be a verb- to go viking (which is to say go raiding or adventuring or trading) or a noun to be a viking which would mean someone who participates in these activities, wasn't all raiding and pillaging. Read a fucking book on it.
>>
>>39003361
It means sailors, people whose profession is on the seas. These guys were both merchants and pirates (because you need to sell your loot). They weren't the warriors of Scandinavian society though. There was a landed elite (who had sailors at their command) that made up the warrior class like other feudal societies.

>>39003434
Vikings had an oral tradition (no homo) so most of the written works were created after Christianization. These had a flavor of denouncing earlier hedonism in favor of supplication to Christ.
>>
>>39002877
The chick in your pic barely has an ass, and what she does have of one is square and gross
2/10
>>
>>39003471
Vikings, from Old Norse vĂ­kingr, were Norse seafarers, speaking the Old Norse language, who raided and traded from their Scandinavian homelands across wide areas of northern, central and eastern Europe, during the late 8th to late 11th centuries.
If you're not talking about that the term viking becomes completely meaningless.
>>39003492
The havamal is a poetic tradition and it was the greatest authority on living life. Only poetic tradition more significant is the Edda.
And even if we loosen the definition to be all sailors I still hold that you'd be straight up killed if you over-indulged in anything but the most lavish merchant ships
>>39003511
Well that wasn't very nice of you to say.
>>
>>39003525
>The havamal is a poetic tradition and it was the greatest authority on living life. Only poetic tradition more significant is the Edda.
But the interpretation we know is the written one which has a Christian flavor.

The sailors themselves were not held in high regard though. It's similar to saying you wanted to be a serf. If you had to leave to make your fortune you were not respected like the landowners were.
>>
>>39003554
>The sailors themselves were not held in high regard though.
All the more reason vikings did not indulge.
And no, much of the oral tradition, like the edda and havamal is recorded from long-surviving colonies that didn't culturally change at the same time as the mainlands. Even then, we have absolutely no resources that couldn't be said to have been tainted by other cultures biases. From everything we know they were not an indulgent civilization and the prejudice largely comes from the occassional feasts
>>
>>39003619
>From everything we know they were not an indulgent civilization and the prejudice largely comes from the occassional feasts

Ya but most cultures weren't indulgent out of necessity so I guess I misspoke earlier. What I meant was more "love of life" rather than love of carnal pleasure. I don't think viking culture was particularly stoic during the pagan years.
>>
>>39003649
>I don't think viking culture was particularly stoic during the pagan years.
I think it was.
>>
>>39003659
Stoicism is about duty and denying simpler pleasures for greater ideals relating to scoiety.

The vikings were explorers and opportunists. It wasn't their duty to go the ends of the Earth, they did it to find out what is possible to achieve as individuals.
>>
File: physical autism.jpg (24KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
physical autism.jpg
24KB, 277x296px
>>39003710
>quoting the entire thread
>>
>>39003710
There are 11 posters in this thread including you. Saying 3/10 people on 4chan have owned a fedora is not something that needs stating.

And it's a trilby not a fedora.
>>
File: edgy.jpg (115KB, 1040x1849px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
115KB, 1040x1849px
>>39003710
Sorry, you're incorrect.
I do own a trenchcoat, pic related.
>>
>>39003723
Final say: this guy has the right idea
>>
>>39002877

that sounds like a really nice concept but rejecting determinism is advocated rejecting the only thing that has moved humanity forward at all. sitting around in bliss means we never would've evolved past the greeks
>>
>>39002877
>It seems to largely favor a stoic mindset and I don't consider that to be a mindset that anyone should choose if they have the privilege to do without it.

What's wrong with a stoic mindset?
>>
>>39003840
Nothing at all. I'm a mighty viking! Hear my warcry in the gym while listening to my metal music! Ahhhhhhhhh!!
>>
>>39003801
>that sounds like a really nice concept but rejecting determinism is advocated rejecting the only thing that has moved humanity forward at all

What if I don't want to move humanity forward? What if I want to leave humanity behind?
>>
>>39003855
Good luck with that
>>
>>39002877
Epicurianism is about enjoying simple pleasures and avoiding excessive luxuries. Lifting is a simple pleasure: anyone can pick up a rock, do some curls and get a sweet pump. 8 hour arm days are excessive though, a true epicurean wouldn't bother with that.
>>
>>39003869

i mean if you really think you're that far gone that achieving natural purposes is impossible, by all means, go become a hippie buddist
>>
>>39003920
Memes, my man
>>
>>39003920
> that achieving natural purposes is impossible
Modern science has allowed me to go much further beyond what is naturally possible. Soon I will join the ranks of The Brotherhood of Mutants and rule over Homo Sapiens as a member of the species Homo Superior.
>>
ITT: I don't lift/have been lifting for 3 months
>>
>>39004638
lol im laughin cuz u prolly dyel af
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.