[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Starting Strength any good, or is it just a meme? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: 1466321521960.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1466321521960.gif
3MB, 480x360px
Is Starting Strength any good, or is it just a meme? I don't want to be a T-rex
>>
>>38982053
Fuck off and read the sticky
>>
File: Rippetoe's Monster.jpg (227KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Rippetoe's Monster.jpg
227KB, 480x640px
It will transform your life.
>>
File: 1461697558504.jpg (17KB, 299x455px) Image search: [Google]
1461697558504.jpg
17KB, 299x455px
>>38982053
It's good for STARTING your STRENGTH.

IT IS NOT A HYPERTROPHY PROGRAM.

The idea is to run the program for 6months to a year to build your strength base, then move to a more advanced routine.

There's nothing wrong with the program, but the upper body work is too low reps and too low volume to make big size gains.
>>
>>38982053
Do greyskull
All of the good parts of ss, with less stalls, better deloads (as you can still pr and get progressive overload during the deload for more size gains) and less squatting frequency (if you are worried about t rex)

Also if you find your legs starting to overdevelop, just take a break from squats and do hip thrusts or similar
>>
File: IMG_4071.png (42KB, 1008x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4071.png
42KB, 1008x1008px
>>38982098
>too low reps to gain size
FALSE
You are a know-nothing DYEL.
But don't take my word for it.
Take professional natty bodybuilder, professional powerlifter, and doctorate with a relevant degree: eric helm's word for it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8

Progressive overload = the only driving factor for muscle growth.

SS takes you to near maximal levels of progressive overload
>>
>>38982140
Everyone SS won't give you big muscles but what they're actually saying is SS won't give you abs

It's all posterior chain. Which should be strengthened as a novice anyway
>>
>>38982140
Also, training volume is setsxrepsxload. So as long as you are increasing the load, you are increasing the training volume

E.g.
Say i do 3x5x165lb
My volume for that exercise that day is 2475
Now let's say next training session is 3x5x170
That volume is 2550
Then i hit 3x5x175 (volume 2625)

You can see the training volume is progressively overloading.
This is what causes muscle to grow
>>
>>38982071
>that chest and shoulder imbalance

Jesus fuck, that happened to me when I tried SL 5x5 last year. It's stuck like this, and my right flat foot got worse.
>>
>>38982140

Graph doesn't distinguish between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, the latter of which I'm referring to.

High reps increases sarcoplasmic volume to increase glycogen and myoglobin stores.

Also the research is extremely flawed when it comes to this type of thing, just try reading any of the literature (not just posting graphs) and you'll find how ridiculously bad the methodology gets.
>>
File: IMG_4090.jpg (408KB, 1064x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4090.jpg
408KB, 1064x1600px
>>38982173
>tfw did ss and got abs
Permacut mode is best mode
>>
>>38982205
Watch the vid.

You are retarded

you get sarcoplasmic hypertrophy from multiple sets of low reps.
>>
>>38982218
Nice. I'm permabulk. My mood seems to be better opposed to when I'm eating low cal
>>
>>38982205
Hmmm... if only there were a video of a doctor and professional bodybuilder explaining the scientific data in a clear, easy to understand manner....

Hmmmmm
>>
>>38982053
If you squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, power clean and maybe add some pullups, dips and curls then you're going to get really strong.

I highly disagree that a beginner should follow the volume or frequency of somebody elses routine nor should they focus on adding weight each week or so.

Just do those lifts twice a week or more to the point where it's difficult to get the weight up. Add weight if it becomes easy. 3x5, 1x5, 5x3, 3xF are all good formats for these lifts.

Listen to your body and don't ever try and force progress as a beginner.
>>
>>38982205
>Also the research is extremely flawed when it comes to this type of thing, just try reading any of the literature (not just posting graphs) and you'll find how ridiculously bad the methodology gets.
Apologize to dr. brad schoenfeld right now
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qv6GONkEGc
>>
>>38982200

Do OHP and lat raises
>>
>>38982263
>implying VIF isnt the most predictable for novices
This triggered me.
3x frequency for all novices
3x5 for all novices
If you disagree then fuck your mother
>>
>>38982218
I've stalled while doing SS and cutting
What are you lifts and stats?
>>
>>38982293
No I think 3x5 is good however it's also good to experiment with weight and volume. 3x3 at heavier weight might be better as is 3x7 at lesser weight as long as you feel like it's a challenge and not doing endurance work you get strong.
>>
>>38982200

Do front and lateral landmines
>>
>>38982319
Literally save that for intermediate levels

>>38982313
Yeah i stalled a lot.
Starting lifts were something like
Bench - 125x5
Ohp - 95x5
Deadlift - 230x1
Hip thrust 215x5

Lifts when i hopped off of ss were something like
Bench - 215x5
Ohp - 140x4
Deadlift - 275x5 (weak af but i did get a hernia at month 5. Still have it and lift with it. Yolo)
Hip thrust - 315x8

5'9, started at 190 ish, cut down to 168

Took me about 6.5 months
>>
>>38982361
Landmine press is GOAT
>>
>>38982383
Hmm noice
I'm looking to get down to 155lbs from 178lbs in 5 months. Your post gives me hope
>>
>>38982173
>Everyone SS won't give you big muscles
Yeah dude, squating 3+ pl8 and deadlifting 4+ pl8 won't give you big muscles at all. It's all about 12 reps with baby weight to get swole. That's how all the nattys on stage at Olympia train, right bro?
>>
>>38982440
It's meant to read: "everyone says"

Fuccboi
>>
>>38982383
It's not intermediate at all. The thought that everyone will optimally do 3x5 squat 3x a week is total nonsense. A beginner will find their sweet spot better by playing with volume, weight and frequency not by copying SS
>>
File: 1474980063625.png (350KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474980063625.png
350KB, 1000x1000px
>>38982455
>omit important part of sentence
>Call someone a Fuccboi

You're a fucking mouth breather.
>It's meant to read: "You're not"
>>
>>38982494
>A beginner should immediately start tweaking variables they have little to no understanding of because a beginner will know what works best to progress due to their experience progressing

This is how smart you sound.
>>
File: fitgreyskull.png (37KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
fitgreyskull.png
37KB, 700x600px
>>38982053
Do this, thank me later.
>>
>>38982494
>Rippetoe is a coach
>Decades of experience
>Can still deadlift 500 pounds
Hurr durr listen to your body
Plz do CrossFit then
>>
>>38982494
>novices need to worry about VIF management to get optimum progress
Literally the opposite of true.
That is my point.

The threshold for adaptation is so low that it doesnt matter.

Worry about optimization when you cannot progress linearly any more
>>
>>38982557
Literally the worst greyskull variant ever.

This routine is the ICF of greyskull.

Phrak's variant > power gap > secondary power gap > tertiary power gap > /fit/'s memeskull

Fuck trappy for creating this monstrosity
>>
>>38982556
>a beginner should blindly follow a one size fits all routine

>>38982565
there are literally hundreds of more successful beginner coaches who don't do anything like him

>>38982572
the simplest answer is often the correct answer and mine is simpler. stop following a routine and just lift until it gets hard.

ss shills are the worst cancer in the fitness commumity. sure ss is a good read but the spawn from it are vile dogshit.
>>
>>38982646
>you get better gains not following a routine
Kys gains goblin
>>
>>38982658
>beginners are too retarded to lift a weight until it gets hard, see how many times they did it and do it again next time

>they must follow my one size fits all routine or they'll stop depositing $0.05 into my account for each post
>>
>>38982646
>one size fits all
One size DOES fit all

You think progressive overload changes from person to person?
You think novices don't have predictably low thresholds for adaptation and high rates of recovery?
You really think individual differences in max-recoverable volumes are more than insignificant at the novice level?

You sound like a tumblrina saying "caloric restriction doesn't work for everyone! Some people need to cut out sugar to lose weight"

The mechanism for strength adaptations don't change from person to person
3x5 linear progression results in near maximal prog overload.

End of.
>>
>>38982646
>a beginner should blindly follow a one size fits all routine
Yes you fucking retard. It literally works the same for EVERYONE initially. There is no magic involved. There is no special snow flake. You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>38982053
I ran SS when I first started lifting and am still trying to undo that damage.

Pic related.
>>
>>38982700
>>beginners are too retarded to lift a weight until it gets hard
Lots of beginners do this and make NO gains because they don't know how to manage VIF or achieve optimal levels of progressive overload.
Never heard of "fuckarounditis"???

Also, explain how this one size does not fit all

It is no different than a -500kcal/day restriction results in a lb/week weight loss regardless of individual differences in metabolic health or leptin/insulin sensitivity or what have you

Sometimes one size truly fits all
>>
>>38982590
Literally you are faggot.
>>
>>38982053
if you have to ask then you're already a t rex
>>
File: boards.4chan.org 1453515087013.png (34KB, 493x276px) Image search: [Google]
boards.4chan.org 1453515087013.png
34KB, 493x276px
>>38982709
>One size DOES fit all
AHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAH HOLY SHIT AHSHSHHASHHSBABAHABS

literally the only people on planet earth who agree with this are the ones trying to sell you something.

studies have proven time after time the best way to get strong is to simply lift the weight until it gets hard.

your whole post is a false flag followed with beginner plan shilling. kys you fucking faggot

linear progress is the most retarded meme concept on planet earth.

lift the weight. push yourself near failure. don't do crazy rep ranges. that's all there is to it.

there's not a single shred of evidence anywhere to suggest 3x5 is best for beginners. literally hang yourself from a palm tree retard
>>
>>38982748
>screen shot
Not sure if belief.

So your legs just EXPLODED with muscle (because that is totally what happens when you touch a barbell)... and as your legs keep growing you never once thought "hmm maybe I should take a break from squats and do hip thrusts or something instead"??!?

I need to see a timestamp before i can believe such stupidity
>>
>>38982053
It's good. Now fuck off and go lift some weights you faggot.
>>
>>38982763
>takes lifting advice from a brazilian shemale
>calls other people faggots
Retard..
>>
>>38982782
>thinking you are a special snowflake with magical and unique requirements to build muscle
>>
>>38982742
no it doesn't and you can't prove it.

>>38982750
you push yourself near failure. it can't be any simpler. holy shit you're fucking retarded as all hell
>>
>>38982782
You're like someone who has lurked for a few weeks on various boards and then compiled a bunch of commonly used phrases to regurgitate without any understanding. Go shitpost somewhere else autist.
>>
>>38982804
my advice is the most universally true unlike one size fits all shilling.

if you're pushing yourself near failure you're making gains end of story
>>
>>38982785
Nah I squatted 3x as week for a couple years because I liked it and now do legs 2/week with an emphasis on strength one day and volume the other.

I was just bein a cheeky cunt, I did start my lifting career with SS tho.
>>
I wish I could have gotten t-rex mode when I was squatting every 2 days but I kept hurting myself.

I don't even get the issue with big legs anyway. It's something I actually want for power and aesthetics. I'll keep trying though.
>>
I did SL 5x5 and my only regret was squatting too much. Thighs got too big and my pants all fit awkward as fuck, too loose in the waist too tight in the thighs.

I'd either reduce it to 3x5 squats after the first few months or only squat 1-2 days a week.
>>
>>38982822
>>38982742

it works for everyone, but it doesn't mean its optimal for everyone. it's just very good on average. please make this distinction if you're gonna argue
>>
>>38982905
>but it doesn't mean its optimal for everyone
What novice is the concepts of progressive overload and linear progression not optimal for? Find me this magical person who had to do something completely different to begin weight lifting. It's not very good on average, it's undisputedly effective. Fuck off hyper specific autist.
>>
>>38982896

I feel Sheiko novice is far superior to SS. High volume for all exercises with lower intensity which is perfect for technique and fatigue management. Squats two times per week, pressing three times per week with different variations, deadlifting two times per week with different variations. It also cycles through a wide range of accessories so you're hitting everything, albeit not as often as a bb routine.
>>
>>38982782
lmao its like if you tell someone to eat less, theyll lose weight!!! HAHAHAHAHA CAN YOU BELIEVE PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS

hahaahahahahaa its not one size fits all
>>
>>38982957

Did I ever say that the concepts where the faults of the program? No. But focus could be shifted with different exercises and different rep ranges and intensities. Things a coach would tell you to do based on your weaknesses.

SS is extremely good, but an experienced coach could tailor it to be perfect.
>>
>>38982982
no it's like saying everyone should eat exactly 2000 calories when caloric intake is based entirely on the individual, your mentally retarded and autistic strawman notwithstanding. idiot
>>
>>38982985
it doesn't even take an experienced coach. all a beginner needs to do is lift the weight. 3x is a good amount of sets to shoot for a beginner and a common recommendation but 5 reps isn't in any way scientifically proven to be best for a beginner. it's in an ideal REP RANGE, sure but 5 isn't the magic number.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.