[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those trying to lose/maintain weight but addicted to food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13

File: breakoutthebucket.jpg (86KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
breakoutthebucket.jpg
86KB, 620x387px
For those trying to lose/maintain weight but addicted to food (or people who enjoy excessive eating but not all the shit that comes with it in general, i.e. most of mankind), what's the problem with chewing up shit tons of food and spitting it out before you swallow?

I've done it for months now and am 5'08'' and 100 lbs. I was almost as thin before just because I cant stand the feeling of fat on my body, but I can't tell you how glorious it feels to go through 4 gallons of icecream and 3 pies and not break a sweat. Is it just because people think it feels weird not to swallow? Because that went away for me a couple weeks after I started, and I've ultimately surmised that it's just muscle memory; swallowing now feels no diffrent than spitting it out, and I still experience aftertastes just the same. Does anybody else do this?
>>
That's some seriously fucked up mental health shit right there OP.
>>
>>38973018
Yes, chewing and spitting is a common behavior in all eating disorders.

Call your insurance provider and ask if they cover any behavioral health treatment.
>>
>>38973024
Literally how
>I enjoy food
>I maximise consumption of food
>Don't want to feel like shit
>Minimize shit that makes me feel like shit
Tell me a better way to do this and I will. I think the "HURR DURR MENTAL HEALTH" thing is just a gutteral response without any real backing.
>>
>>38973039
You have a BMI of 15.2.
>>
>>38973050
It was like that before I started this too, though, and I still eat 3 square meals a day. That being said, I have lost about 10 punds over the last couple years, but that's because I quit hiking due to injury.
>>
File: op.png (57KB, 592x583px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
57KB, 592x583px
>>38973069
Eating meals doesn't mean you're not anorexic.
>>
>>38973050
>>38973032
>>38973024
So my plethora of mental health issues aside, what be wrong with a mentally healthy and addiquitly wealthy person following the logic in the OP? Because regardless, I'm not asking if it's okay if I do, I was wondering why other people don't.
>>
>>38973104
Symptoms
Inadequate food intake leading to a weight that is clearly too low.
Intense fear of weight gain, obsession with weight and persistent behavior to prevent weight gain.
Self-esteem overly related to body image.
Inability to appreciate the severity of the situation.
Binge-Eating/Purging Type involves binge eating and/or purging behaviors during the last three months.
Restricting Type does not involve binge eating or purging.
Eating disorders experts have found that prompt intensive treatment significantly improves the chances of recovery. Therefore, it is important to be aware of some of the warning signs of anorexia nervosa.

Warning Signs
Dramatic weight loss.
Preoccupation with weight, food, calories, fat grams, and dieting.
Refusal to eat certain foods, progressing to restrictions against whole categories of food (e.g. no carbohydrates, etc.).
Frequent comments about feeling “fat” or overweight despite weight loss.
Anxiety about gaining weight or being “fat.”
Denial of hunger.
Development of food rituals (e.g. eating foods in certain orders, excessive chewing, rearranging food on a plate).
Consistent excuses to avoid mealtimes or situations involving food.
Excessive, rigid exercise regimen--despite weather, fatigue, illness, or injury, the need to “burn off” calories taken in.
Withdrawal from usual friends and activities.
In general, behaviors and attitudes indicating that weight loss, dieting, and control of food are becoming primary concerns. ]
>>
>>38973104
For the record, though,
>>38973076
Literally only my BMI applies, according to this. I shouldn't have brought up my weight, but it's largely due to an incredibly slender frame. I can't wear slim-fit small clothing without it being loose around the goddamn shoulders.
>>
File: Moyer-Figure-3-Adapted.png (14KB, 620x502px) Image search: [Google]
Moyer-Figure-3-Adapted.png
14KB, 620x502px
http://www.scienceofeds.org/2013/03/21/your-bodys-response-to-chewing-and-spitting-the-role-of-insulin/
>>
>>38973109
Have you not been reading my posts? I've always weighed this much, and have always eaten a fucking ton. I just polished off half a tub of cookiedough last night, have never considered fasting or anything like it in my life, and obviously swallow while in public, and damn do I eat in public. Actually respond to the question posed at least, christ.
>>
dumb as fuck. just learn how to eat normal, dummy.
>>
>>38973129
This is actually pretty interesting, but doesn't seem like nearly enough to deter most people, especially with the obesity rates skyrocketing the world over.
>>
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25580013

>This study confirms that CHSP is a common behavior in inpatients with ED, is prevalent trans-diagnostically, and is usually associated with LOC. Consistent with previous studies (Durkin et al., 2013, Guarda et al., 2004 and Kovacs et al., 2002), 31% of the sample had a lifetime history and 21% reported current CHSP once a week or more. This frequency questions the decision to remove CHSP from the text of DSM-5 as an example of an ED related behavior. Consistent with two recent studies of ED inpatients (Guarda et al., 2004 and Kovacs et al., 2002), CHSP behavior was equally common across diagnostic groups. In contrast to our previous study (Guarda et al., 2004), CHSP + patients were more likely to have a purging as opposed to a restricting diagnosis, which may reflect an increased number of more chronic, severely ill patients referred to our center over the last decade

>A minority of CHSP + reported a lifetime history of chew-spitting a binge-like amount of food (≥ 1000 calories). It is possible that in this subgroup these behaviors develop as a substitute for bingeing and vomiting. CHSP could be perceived as less medically risky, with lower likelihood of medical complications (e.g. electrolyte abnormalities) than vomiting. Importantly, 20% of hospitalized inpatients endorsed recent CHSP episodes involving a binge amount of food with associated sense of LOC overeating. Furthermore, LOC over the behavior is also present in the majority who CHSP less than 1000 calories. Given its frequency and association with increased severity, CHSP behavior should be assessed in all ED patients and should be addressed in treatment.
>>
>>38973161
But you could enjoy so much more food on TOP of that.
>>
File: chsp.png (17KB, 467x345px) Image search: [Google]
chsp.png
17KB, 467x345px
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26343479

>CHSP was equally common across diagnostic groups in this study. Considering the inconsistent results of several studies evaluating cross-diagnostic prevalence [2], [3], [4], [5] and [6], the relationship between CHSP and clinical diagnosis needs to be studied further. As mentioned in a recent article [6], the various results may come from methodological inconsistencies such as lack of definition, use of different diagnostic criteria, and differences in patient groups. However, at present, we assume that the characteristics of CHSP (bingeing and restriction) may have contributed to discrepant results. Tasting the flavor of food serves as an orosensory reward, which may reinforce feeding behavior; however, spitting out the food without swallowing it functions as restrictive eating behavior. Patients often describe chewing and spitting as soothing and pleasant [2]. This pleasurable feeling may stem from not only the preferred flavor of the food but also the restrictive nature of the behavior and may therefore possibly explain why CHSP is not related to one specific diagnostic group.

>The CHSP+ group showed significantly higher mean FCQ-T scores than the CHSP− group. The FCQ-T contains nine subscales, each reflecting a dimension of possible precipitants and consequences of food craving, such as preoccupation with food, loss of control, positive outcome expectancy, and emotional craving, all of which are similar to those of substance dependence disorder [9]. Stronger food craving was a significant predictor of the higher incidence of pathologic eating behaviors in the CHSP+ group. In addition, the CHSP+ group reported higher total BSQ scores, which includes questions assessing a variety of body image symptoms, such as distressing preoccupation with weight and shape, embarrassment in public and avoidance of activity or exposure of the body due to self-consciousness, and excessive feelings of fatness after eating [18]...
>>
>>38973187
>Because the individual avoids consuming the food through normal means of digestion he/she risks suffering from improper nutrition.
But I'm saying if you did it in-between meals, so the basic criteria don't apply.
On top of, not instead of.
I'm asking what the problem would be if the fucking buddah started doing this; I'm removed from the equation. Yes, I realize I'm thin. Yes, I realize all this sounds bad on paper. No, it's not relevant to the OP. I asked a question, and it has been answered once in 15 posts.
>>
>>38973125
bullshit. Post your body, I guarantee you you're anorexia mode
>>
File: JesusChristAnderson.png (900KB, 690x968px) Image search: [Google]
JesusChristAnderson.png
900KB, 690x968px
>>38973255
Please respond to the OP.
Do you need me to reword the first sentence for you to understand?
>>
>>38973255

I think OP has a point. People do it when tasting wine, why not food?
>>
>>38973271
>>
File: flamethrower.jpg (111KB, 1022x589px) Image search: [Google]
flamethrower.jpg
111KB, 1022x589px
This fucking thread
>>
what a waste, don't play with your food kid.
>>
OP here, abandoning thread.
Going to make it again some other time without mentioning my weight, because that detail seems to have entirely derailed this one (to be fair, it was retarded for me to not see that comming).
>>
>>38973300
I can see this being kinda true, as it still has all the same moral repurcussions as overeating (although not quite as bad as outright throwing out food).
>>
>>38973301
Non sequitur. You're not fooling anyone.
>>
File: 3243242.png (128KB, 851x806px) Image search: [Google]
3243242.png
128KB, 851x806px
>indicated an overall positive association between being diagnosed with an ED and lifetime CHSP, with CHSP frequencies ranging from less than or equal to once a month to several times a day. The majority (67.9 %) of those who engaged in CHSP at some point in their lifetimes generally were still currently engaging in the behaviour at the time of study. The results also indicated that participants who have had a lifetime history of CHSP were more likely to have been diagnosed with AN or BN as opposed to EDNOS. However, the authors did not indicate if CHSP was a risk factor for developing a clinical ED in the future [35]. Findings of the study indicated that CHSP was not trans-diagnostically present –unlike in the other cross-sectional studies - but was more commonly associated with those with an AN or BN diagnosis as opposed to EDNOS. Younger participants were more likely than older participants to engage in CHSP. Furthermore, it was demonstrated that CHSP was associated with both past and present restrictive behaviour and CHSP is usually used as a short-term compensatory behaviour for some individuals with EDs [35].

>In a cross-sectional study Mitchell et al. [1] (N=25) found 68 % of the 25 participants reported CHSP with 8 % indicating having had CHSP at a minimum frequency of several times a week at some point during their illness. The authors posited that CHSP is used as a substitute for binging and purging or other bulimic behavioural patterns. In this study CHSP occurred at a low frequency in women with BN [1]. When comparing individuals with BN who had low frequency CHSP to those with high frequency CHSP, there was no significant difference between these types of participants and a control group [1].

> Only one study, by Smith and Ross [33] offered possible explanations for the CHSP behaviour, including avoiding feeling deprived, addiction transference, a stress response, or a deficiency in trace minerals or vitamins.
>>
>>38973338
>Non sequitur
Where? I don't think the back-and-forth this thread has devolved into, so I was going to abandon it. Same reason you'd stop watching captain planet if you were a preservationalist; there's nothing new. And even if I DID have a crippling and tragic case aneorexia, why the fuck would you need to white-knight/flame about it so hard?
>>
>>38973365
Yeah, I read the linked article.
>>
>>38973326

>morals

Okay, that's not a decent reason not to do this. Any actual concerns?
>>
>>
>>38973383
Non sequituring the non sequitur. What part of "not fooling anyone" was unclear?
>>
File: eh61s.jpg (23KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
eh61s.jpg
23KB, 620x412px
>>38973398
>tumblr screencaps
Well this explains a fucking lot.
>>
>>38973398
This is hot
>>
File: 234234.png (18KB, 525x179px) Image search: [Google]
234234.png
18KB, 525x179px
>>
>>38973403
Fooling anyone by asking a question as to why normal people don't do something? Remove me from the equation, and reread every post ITT that wasn't about the OP. You've deluded yourself into thinking the thread was about something entirely diffrent than your emotional gut response. Can you at least state your oppinion on the intended topic?
>>
I found this:
https://www.caloriecount.com/forums/weight-loss/chewing-something-taste-spitting
>If you do it often enough, your mouth will become ulcerated.
Is this just because you're comming into contact with more food? Because that's kind of retarded.
>>
>>38973449
You're done. Fuck off already.
>>
>>38973280
1- People who do this with wine don't do it every day. It's a once in a while thing for people who want to sample a bunch of different wines without getting drunk.
2- Wine tastings are not about drinking to excess. Even if you did swallow all the samples (which a lot of people do), you would be taking in maybe 3-4 glasses worth of wine. What OP is doing is more like taking down 3-4 bottles in one sitting.
3- OP has an eating disorder and you're enabling him by drawing a stupid false equivalency
>>
>>38973398
What the fuck is that conversation in the top-eft image supposed to mean?
>>
>>38973301
I think that most people would assume you had an unhealthy weight (either very low or very high) after reading that post. Stop deluding yourself.
>>
>>38973449
Normal people don't do this because normal people don't have eating disorders.
>>
>>38973482

I still didn't get any valid reasons beside disorder hurrrr.

Is it in any way bad for you once you're past the whole eating disorder thing?

And I can see this being a weekly thing where people sample like 30-40 different kinds of foods desu. Plenty of people do it with wine and beer on a weekly basis.
>>
>>38973475

I think it depends on the food. Some acidic stuff might cause that if you chew too long?

People usually chew and swallow, maybe chew+spit makes people keep it in their mouth for longer.
>>
>>38973475
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hw4rRdTdFE
>>
>>38973495
You've said the same thing a dozen times. We get it. You think I'm anorexic. And? If you honestly want somebody to change their behaviors out of goodwill (or even sheer frustration), copypasting from mayoclinic and reitterating yourself a dozen times over isn't really going to do it.
>>
>>38973537
>>38973525
I'm pretty sure there's only 3 people ITT; you, OP, and >>38973495. This thread is going nowhere fast. I know I said I was abandoning a while back, but even the flamming ITT is stagnant. Peace.
>>
OP, I'm the person posting the clinical evidence that CHSP is correlated with very severe eating disorders.

I'm also diagnosed EDNOS (mostly purging through vomiting) and I can tell you I mostly just pity you because it's obvious how entrenched you are in the ED mindset, and I emphasize on the feeling that it is "rational" behavior and your weight is wholly unrelated to your own body image and your broken relationship with food. I hijacked the thread not to convince you but to remind others that your behavior is illogical and encourages dangerous thoughts and continuity into other disorders.
>>
>>38973656
empathize*
>>
>>38973525
>I still didn't get any valid reasons beside disorder hurrrr.
Did you need more than one valid reason? How many do you want?
>Is it in any way bad for you once you're past the whole eating disorder thing?
No, if you ignore the worst part it's really not that bad. Kind of like how concussions aren't that bad once you're past the whole brain damage thing. If I had to guess, he's still running the risk of enamel damage and fucked up insulin production.
>Weekly
If Opie was doing this as a weekly thing it probably wouldn't be that concerning, but still definitely odd. And he's not sampling many different types of foods to see how they taste, he's gorging himself on outrageous quantities of one or two foods that he wants to eat but doesn't because he has an obsession with weight gain.
>>
>>38973656
Okay, so next time avoid crossboarding to /fit/ to avoid projectionists. Duely noted.
That being said, you seemed to be well-intentioned, and no matter who was behind my keyboard right now I know you'd be textwalling all the same, so I'll at least aknowledge that much.
>>
>>38973588
I don't care if you change your behavior, I'm just giving my two cents, which happens to be more or less the same as the opinion of everyone else in this thread. Now you have to ask yourself if everyone else is wrong or if you're wrong, then do whatever you like with that conclusion.
>>
>>38973695
Post this on any board you like, you'll get the same answer (or just shitposting if you go to /b/).
>>
>>38973726
Thanks.
>>38973751
This is highly arguable, though. I could easily avoid it by saying "I'm aneorexic but why don't normal people do this?" In the OP.
>>
>>38973848
The answer will be "because we're not bullimic."
>>
>>38973860
Okay, but I disagree.
I relaize that you disagree with the fact that I disagree and think it's wrong, but I still disagree.
Unless I agree. Then its okay.
>>
>>38973860
literally wut
>>38973280
>>
>>38973848
>I'm aneorexic but why don't normal people do this?
>I'm a drug addict but why don't normal people do heroin every day?
>I'm a furry but why don't normal people dress up in animal costumes during sex?
>I'm diabetic but why don't normal people take insulin injections to metabolize sugar?
>>
So lemme get this straight...

You are spending money on food that you don't use as fuel?

The food jews really got you good.
>>
>>38973018
Because the strongest tastebuds are at the very back of the mouth by the throat. You've gotta swallow if you want the most out of you're food.
>>
>>38973946
You don't eat a donut and think, I wish I could do this for a fuckin' hour?
I think that's just a fundamental diffrence between us. You have no idea how many donuts I can put away with swallowing. But everyone was worried I'd get Diabeetus, so I started spitting. I do have an addiction, but it's to sugar, not spitting; I just about never spit savories. That being said, I went on a three-month wilderness excursion a few years back and didn't feel any craving for whhat I left behind until about three weeks in, and then only neglibly so, so that casts doubt over whether it's really an addiction like I assume or just an obsession. Probably the best proof of this is that I spit when I feel happy and am enjoying myself and forgo everything but basic breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I'm stressed. Wouldn't that be the opposite of binging, in that case? Isn't binging a bad coping strategy, and not excess in general? And hell, excess in highly contextual. I don't, by definiton, eat past when I'm full, and stop short of eating all of something if I'm not enjoying it or get bored of it, so what parrameter am I surpassing?
>>
>>38974025
I've never noticed this; I'm only ever able to taste using the tip, center and sides.
>>
You straight up have a mental disorder of some kind, regardless of your weight. Please seek help.
>>
>>38974084
Thanks, will do. Should I tell my family? Are therapists with it, or should I self-reglate? Any books you recommend, if the later? And what should I do with all the pent-up stress I have if not eating 13 quarts of icecream? I'd really be lost without binge eating and self-shaming, to be honest.
>>
>>38973493
"ana" is a nickname for anorexia, so she's basically having a conversation with her eating disorder
>>
>>38974156
Read Brain Over Binge before doing anything else. Conventional therapy may not help.
>>
>>38974156
IMO there's got to be a reason why you are chewing and spitting out so much food. A therapist would help you figure out that reason and work on getting over it. Do you think your family would understand and try to help you? It could be more harmful to you if you tell them and they are not accepting.
>>
>>38974235
Ah.
>>
>>38974349
Well I'm pretty sure they'd stop buying me fucking icecream, that's for sure.
>>
File: kill.jpg (68KB, 750x726px) Image search: [Google]
kill.jpg
68KB, 750x726px
>>38973018
>wasting money
>>
>>38973018

So what do you do spit it in a bucket? What you're describing doesn't sound pleasant
>>
>>38975893
In a small, disposable container. Food shrinks significantly after chewing, so an entire tub of fucking icecream can almost fit in a solo cup.when its full, I flush it/put it down the disposal, depending on consistency, quickly rinse the container, and continue until I'm done.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.