[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That's the LAST time I EVER take advice from anyone at the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: latest.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
That's the LAST time I EVER take advice from anyone at the gym.

Never again
>>
Alright I'll bite. What bad advice did you get and how did it fuck you up?

Also here are some things I have heard at the gym.
>"Don't squat below parallel. It's bad for your knees."
>"Don't do that [standing OHP]. It causes impingement."
>"Don't hold your breath while you Deadlift."
>"You should squat in the smith machine. It's safer."
>"Don't do that [pendlay rows]. Do these instead [overhand Yates rows]
>>
>>38969655
Is this a meme now?
>>
File: 1471652552923.jpg (148KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1471652552923.jpg
148KB, 768x1024px
>>38970142
>tfw i can't squat below parallel because i dont have full rom in my left ankle due to pins/plate/screws
>>
>>38970142
I had a guy tell me I should be using the smith macHine for squat and deadlift. I did it because I'm autistic but the next day, just went back to regular. He saw me and just shook his head.
>>
>>38970172
>I did it because I'm autistic
don't be such a pussy
>>
>>38970142
>>"Don't hold your breath while you Deadlift."

sure, if passing out is your thing, go right ahead and hold your breath
>>
>>38970142
Some guy gave me shit advice on bracing my core
>>
>>38970257
you need to hold your breath during a heavy deadlift to support the trunk with air pressure.

ofcourse you can breathe between reps.
>>
>>38970285
I lent a guy my SS copy and met him in the gym a few days later.

He was benching and holding his breath for all 5 reps lol
>>
>>38970285
why not valsalva maneuvre?
>>
>>38970328
It's probably good to breathe inbetween every few reps, but there's not really a chance of passing out on bench.

I have actually passed out a couple of times.
It was on a power clean, a front squat, and a barbell curl (kek).
Deadlifts can also cause a pass out.
>>
>>38970347
holding your breath is a part of the valsalve manuevre...
>>
>>38970347
That IS the valsalva maneuver
>>
>>38970380
>>38970408
I understood the valvalvaladida is exhaling with slight force?
>>
>>38970465
Nope, look it up on wikipedia.
>>
>>38970465
It's taking a huge breath of air into your stomach and pushing your abs out and maintaining that pressure the entire time
>>
>>38970349
I've only passed out from deadlifts, but both squats and OHP have made me dizzy, but not to the point where I even feel uncomfortable with it.

A little embarassing to pass out from a lmao2pl8 diddlydoodle though, but I'm the only guy who deadlifts in my gym
>>
>>38970328
rip recommends this to experienced lifters

lots of people do it

looks like someone hasn't read SS
>>
>>38970538
Imagine how I felt when I passed out after doing a 40kg barbell curl, heh.
>>
File: 1294701034176.jpg (43KB, 496x384px) Image search: [Google]
1294701034176.jpg
43KB, 496x384px
>>38970510
>The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while pressing out as if blowing up a balloon.

>attempted exhalation

let me sleep on that
>>
>>38969655
You tell em, bud
>>
>>38970565
So you create pressure as if you would exhale, but you don't actually let any air out.
>>
>>38970555
Trips tell me you were pretty embarassed, haha

>>38970548
What? Are you saying the valsalva is only for excperienced lifters? I've been doing it all along

>>38970565
.."against a closed airway". Id est- no exhalation happens.
>>
>>38970649
>>38970548
I learned reading comprehension. You are saying advanced lifters are recommended to hold their breath for all 5 reps? Well, this guy didn't have the capacity for it that's for sure. His face turned red and blue from 30 kilos
>>
>>38970649
no the valsava manoeuvre is for everyone. holding your breath for the full 5 reps is for more experienced lifters, according to rippetoe. i wouldn't do it myself however.
>>
>>38970674
>30 kilos for 5
well there's the little wanker's problem. however its good that he's doing SS and seemingly read all the details in the book about it
>>
File: Judge-Gavel[1].jpg (29KB, 320x306px) Image search: [Google]
Judge-Gavel[1].jpg
29KB, 320x306px
>>38970565
I'm sentencing you to 4 months in the smith machine for attempted exhalation!
>>
>>38970565
its not as complex on that. rippetoe puts it well in SS.

imagine that you're trying to push your broken down car out of a busy road, fast, so you don't get killed. you put it in neutral, step out of the door, and...you can probably picture yourself taking that breath of air before you exert force. and if you need to breathe halfway through you aren;t gonna start panting, you're gonna take little gasps and exhalations as and when you need to at the moments of slightly less resistance (between reps).

i thought this was fairly straightfoward. i only learned this was a named technique until years after i perfected it. the way i do it is largely dependent on the exercise i'm doing (for example i hold my breath for the entire concentric for OHP and deads because you're only safe to somewhat relax at the very end of the ROM, whereas i begin exhaling during squats and bench about halfway through the concentric, either during or immediately after the sticking point).

i'm stoned, and typing that was a literary adventure for me so if it makes no sense let me know and i'll embark again.
>>
>>38970846
You can take a bowl or two more, you're typing eloquently and making sense.
>>
File: 1463454767944.jpg (28KB, 604x416px) Image search: [Google]
1463454767944.jpg
28KB, 604x416px
>all this debate on how to breathe during lifts
The faggotry of this place knows no bounds. If I hold my breath how am I supposed to grunt loudly?
>>
>>38970934
he's got a point lads, if you don't grunt you literally should kill yourself
>>
>>38970328
I bench 2pl8 now and still hold my breath for the majority of reps. I only take a breath when I feel I need to. I find breath every rep disturbs my rhythm.
>>
>>38970285
holding your breath and exerting heavy pressure puts massive stress on the epiglottis and can rupture blood vessels. be careful when holding your breath. if youre not supporting that breath with your diaphragm, youre gonna do yourself in and pass out.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.