[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm really newbie and tried to start with SS, watched videos,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: weightlifting-injury-arms.jpg (12KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
weightlifting-injury-arms.jpg
12KB, 400x297px
I'm really newbie and tried to start with SS, watched videos, read the book as best as I could with my limited time, I think I know in theory how to perform the lifts, but I can't seem to get them right in practice.

I'll go point by point.

>SQUAT
I don't think I go below parallel, I don't find myself able to go so low.

>OVERHEAD PRESS
I don't know why but this is the hardest for me. Can barely stand two sets in a row, my arms always get super tired

>BENCH PRESS
Didn't do much of this, but I think I move the bar way too much to the sides, as in it doesn't go the exact same path up and down, not sure how to fix this

>DEADLIFT
My back is always too round, can't get the chest high. This frustrates me so much, read a lot on ques to follow, tips, but my back keeps becoming a big ass curve after the 1st rep. Maybe it has to do with my height and the height of the bar, but don't really know how relevant is that

Any tips? I'm pretty discouraged, I know I should just try harder, but I've been going some weeks and trying everyday, and can't seem to get it right. Gym staff has given me pointers but they don't seem like they can help me any more. My back is starting to hurt a lot probably because I do the exercises badly.
>>
File: 1475515559113.jpg (59KB, 525x577px) Image search: [Google]
1475515559113.jpg
59KB, 525x577px
>>38968417
Yeah stop being a little bitch
>>
>>38968417
lower the weight
>>
>>38968417
Time + constantly watching professionals lift + video taping your own lifts and watching them to tweak form + posting those videos here or other forums.

You can make it OP just gotta keep at it. None of this stuff can be done over night or everyone would be doing it. Perfection is a pursuit not a state.
>>
Push Up
Dip
Pull Up

Military press

Kettlebell Swing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427hjj0ZRDc

Sprint

thats all you need
>>
If you can't squat below parallel, you're squatting wrong. If your back rounds, you're deadlifting wrong.

Actually read the book. Don't just skim it. Take videos of your lifts and put them on the starting strength forum. If you have video of your lifts, you'll see what you're doing wrong and the folks on the board will help give you some cues to fix your lifts.
>>
>>38968601
Cant get lower than just the bar.
>>38968646
Ty I think its a bit awkward to ask someone to record me, but will keep that in mind
>>38968695
Is this a meme routine or is it legit? Sounds like mimicking the military.
>>38968704
Im not native at English so some parts of the book were pretty hard. Thought Rippetoes vids in the SS yt channel and artofmanliness would be enough but guess not. Will try to spend more time on the book
>>
>>38968860
What's your native language? The book's been translated into a couple different languages.
>>
>>38968860
Nahnahnah try to do a low key record of yourself. Go once a week on an off time so the gym isn't that busy (if you can) and find a good place to film. Then use that film to refine your form throughout the week and try it again the next week.

I see people do it every now and again so it's not that weird. Plus it shows you're serious about improvement and that's worth a lot.

Also both front and side angles are valuable so if you can get both it'll be better for you overall.
>>
>>38968695
for general fitness/looking good, i totally agree.
>>
>>38968695
Don't believe his lies.
>>
>>38968888
Spanish. If it's really been translated into other languages I'd have thought Spanish would be one of the obvious options, but I didnt find anything.
>>
>>38968942
these aint lies, he's right
>>
>>38968417
Just ask someone in the gym to spot you/give you tips man. Also OHP is the hardest for pretty much everyone. Are you doing every lift with just the bar?
>>
Grita peso ligero beibi bien alto antes de coger aire.
+1 plato garantizado al momento.
>>
File: Humungus.jpg (23KB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
Humungus.jpg
23KB, 400x261px
>>38968417

Plenty of good advice already, but one worth repeating is

>>38968417
>lower the weight

You need to be lifting with good form in order to progress without injury and you clearly are not lifting with good form. Don't let your idiot ego prevent you from significantly lowering the weight so you can focus on form.

One trick which helped me with squat depth is putting a small carboard box of appropriate height behind me. The sensation of touching the box helped cue me on depth.

If you can find and afford one, even a single session with a Starting Strength Coach (StartingStrength.org) is a very wise investment. You literally cannot get better assistance with form and now is the time you most need it.
>>
>>38968417
squat depth will come over time, lower the ohp weight if you cant finish a set, bench more with less weight.
got the same issue with deadlift i try to put my ass low and keep it low to prevent too high hips that resut in round back
>>
File: She_Hulk_lifts.jpg (396KB, 988x954px) Image search: [Google]
She_Hulk_lifts.jpg
396KB, 988x954px
>>38968860
>Cant get lower than just the bar.

You should find that good form is strangely difficult with just the bar because it moves so easily compared to a weighted bar, so don't worry about imperfect form with just the bar.

As you progress you should find that your form only becomes a struggle with the last one or two reps of your final set of any lift.

>Ty I think its a bit awkward to ask someone to record me, but will keep that in mind

Just prop you camera against something and leave it recording. Make sure you have a good angle and that all of you and the weight is in the frame.

>>>38968695
>Is this a meme routine or is it legit?

Just do the program. Not doing the program is the most common and silliest mistake made by novice (i.e. you and almost everyone else) lifters.

>Thought Rippetoes vids in the SS yt channel and artofmanliness would be enough but guess not. Will try to spend more time on the book

The videos are the ones on the DVD and just about everything on the StartingStrength YouTube channel is worth watching for education and entertainment, but the book is the definitive reference. The Art of Manliness videos are good, too. Don't forget the forums and articles on the web site.

That said, being able to get real time feedback from someone experienced with the program is better than almost any other method for correcting form and a Starting Strength
Coach is the best qualified to give it. I confess that i have not read the book, but have received training. Pic related (but not grip).
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.