[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a weightlifter, do you ever look at guys like this and fe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: calisthenics-lad.jpg (129KB, 852x531px) Image search: [Google]
calisthenics-lad.jpg
129KB, 852x531px
As a weightlifter, do you ever look at guys like this and feel like you're doing it wrong? Bear in mind he hardly ever lifts weights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZ73t8-xCE

>impressive physique
>could probably lift just as much as or more than a weightlifter his size
>less stress on the joints
>more flexible
>more functional

Don't get me wrong, I love lifting - the strength and size gains have done wonders for me - but I'd probably fall flat on my ass if I tried to do things even half as impressive as this. Surely calisthenics are a necessity for anyone who wants to get the most out of their bodies?
>>
File: I fucked this sloot.jpg (96KB, 468x618px) Image search: [Google]
I fucked this sloot.jpg
96KB, 468x618px
>>38966441
>As a weightlifter, do you ever look at guys like this and feel like you're doing it wrong?

I am lifting because I know that is the only thing a beta man like me can achieve.

Real alpha males are able to do skillful body excercises, lifting was and always will be the beta domain.
>>
>>38966531
So why not incorporate some calisthenics into your routine and become an alpha gymnast? What's holding you back?
>>
I know 2 guys who only do calisthenics (and parkour) and they both roid like crazy and then make fun of people who go to the gym since "you can make gains at home". Theres just no way to naturally put on the mass i want by doing bodyweight exercises.
>>
File: ronny 5.jpg (112KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
ronny 5.jpg
112KB, 800x1067px
>>38966581
>So why not incorporate some calisthenics into your routine and become an alpha gymnast?
>KEK he believes a beta can become alpha.

bro, we are betas by nature, not nurture. lifting is the most we can achieve
>>
>>38966632
>Theres just no way to naturally put on the mass i want by doing bodyweight exercises.
That's simply not true; you can get a physique like the guy in OP's pic from calisthenics, It just takes longer, but comes with way more benefits and less drawbacks than lifting.
>>
What the fuck. How can bodybuilders even compete? My physique feels worthless when I see people do shit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O4itDGm6Q

>inb4 niggers
>>
>>38966531
>tfw realising Arnie was a robo-king
>even a hairy mexican goblin was God given, as long as it was female
>>
Bump for opinions
>>
Although these videos are very impressive and I'd love to be able to do those kinds of things, I think it would be a lot easier and faster to increase strength and size through lifting
>>
>>38966792
Size yes, you do absolutely get bigger faster from lifting weights; strength I'm not so sure. Do you really think a gymnast like the guy in OP's pic wouldn't be able to deadlift as much as a guy who only lifts? You're also working a fuckload of stabilizer muscles that you either don't hit or don't hit hard enough with lifting. It just depends what your goals are really. I want to look good, but I want my strength to have a use beyond lifting things up and putting them down, and overall I want to be as healthy and flexible as possible. I'll continue weightlifting but I'm definitely going to add some calisthenic days into my routine.
>>
>>38966875
Keep us updated with how thick, solid, tight you get
>>
in the last 4 years, being able to lift heavy shit in all kind of situations was wayyyyy more practicable and "functional", then being able to swing around my own bodyweight on a bar.

It's nice to be able to do such stuff, but eat a dick if I ever hear that you are better then any lifter.

Heavy lifting can at least come handy in real life.
>>
>>38966974
This
When yo niggas need help moving they need a stronk guy to carry the washing machine
>>
>>38966441
>implying it's better for your joints kek
>"get the most out of"
wth are you talking about
>implying I can't do a human flag
>implying that guy has any leg strength
>implying wl isnt GOAT for vertical jump
I could go on, but I won't.
>>
File: 1452449350926.gif (2MB, 350x266px)
1452449350926.gif
2MB, 350x266px
>>38966992
I would stake my life that you CANNOT do a human flag. I also can guarantee that you CANNOT do 10 pistol squats on each leg.

Don't be an asshole bro
>>
>>38967023
But he can lift your half dead body up and carry you around after an accident or maybe if you passed out.

or lift that washmachine alone so your old mother who is currently alone at home don't have to help.

or grap that thick chick at the ass, lift her up and do all kind of kinky shit.

But hey, being able to do some fucking pistol-squats is wayyyyy far superior.

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMWAt8amiQk
>>
>>38966441
I did a lot of calisthenics when I realized machines weren't natural and were shit (on my own, Im very proud).

There's a couple of problems with that tho: progression, legs and shoulders.

You can't really progress that much once you start getting strong. I was doing pushups with 20kgs on my back when I realized I was gonna have to change something. Also pullups/dips are difficult for the initiate.

You cant work your lower body with bodyweight. Pistol squats won't give you big legs, squating 3 plates give you big legs.

Same with shoulders. It's a pain in the ass working shoulders, especiallly when you get strong for vertical pushups.

My opinion is: its fun, its hard and its a good workout. I prefer barbells and dumbells for all the above reasons (and maybe a couple more).
>>
File: 1363741091351.gif (929KB, 135x180px)
1363741091351.gif
929KB, 135x180px
>tfw actively hurting my ability to do cool calisthenics by squatting since I don't want baby legs
>>
>>38967168

What's the correlation?
>>
>>38967215

More weight to move around on your lower body (doing handstand pushups or flags gets a bit harder)
>>
>>38966441
>could probably lift just as much

Doubt it, his training doesn't get much closer than general specificity in regards to his training. For the same reason we're unable to do Dragon flags, he's unable to deadlift 250kg.
>>
>could probably lift just as much as or more than a weightlifter his size
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx45nUETmIA

>more functional
How is that functional?

>more flexible
I dunno man, weightlifters are pretty flexible
>>
What's the best bodyweight program for a fella who's got a decent strength base (around 1/2/3/4) but can only do like 4 full pull ups?
>>
>>38967334
Stop being a fat fuck
>>
>>38966441
I lift to be big. I want to be stronk so I can lift heavier weights to become bigger. I don't lift primarily for strength. My goal is certainly not being to do party tricks either. It's all about preferences brahs
>>
>>38967324
Professional weightlifters are.
I'm pretty much the only guy in my gym that does stretching. Not even girls do it.
And people always give me weird looks,as in, wtf is this guy doing!?
>>
>>38967324
That's a powerlifter. I meant your average /fit/izen - ie. bodybuilders.
>>
>>38967324

Functional is such a stupid phrase because it depends on specificity. Weightlifting is functional for weightlifters because thats their sport just as equally gymnastics based strength training is functional for gymnastic feats & movements.

That being said in terms of what's more transferable to other sports/disciplines body weight exercises generally have greater carryover compared to weight lifting due to closed chain exercises v open chain.

Great example of this is Horizontal pressing variations like planche vs bench press. Gymnasts that haven't benched before that are proficient with the planche progressions typically bench 1.5x their body weight or more however those that bench press 1.5x their body weight and are at a similar weight range struggle to hold even the basic of planche progressions.

There's a thread about it on gymnastic bodies from 7-8 years back and similarly pavel tsatsouline wrote about it.

Also almost all physical activities require you to move your body in space rather than manipulate an object in space. Body weight exercises increase proprioception as they become more complex much more so than weightlifting does, although it still does, so learning new sport specific movements are easier too.

Bodyweight exercises have their limitations such as measurable progressive overload but so does weight lifting.
>>
>>38967432
Lifting heavy weights in a gym is a party trick.
And you like basically everyone is going to hit the wall of what you can put on in about 4-5 years and any gains are going to be very very minimal if any at best.
Worse yet, you're going to injure yourself going for maxes that are going to be pretty much beyond you in hopes of getting bigger so you can lift heavier and you are going to injure yourself.
It's not a question of if, only when. Only gear heards can inject infinite growth and recovery and they pretty much shorten their lives and give up the latter years of their lives for that shit.
>>
"A weightlifter", if you don't compete in 'weight lifting' just call yourself what you really are... a cock sucker.
>>
>>38966441
>>less stress on the joints

>>more functional

you don't even lift, sage and report
>>
>>38967618
You can use a dumbbell /barbell to simulate a planch. Honestly, lat pulls and pull ups are 95% the same.

You can do an iron cross with weights, it's just your going to be looking like a dumb ass. Body weight exercises cause hella joint damage. Ask Hannibal or any bar starz
>>
>>38967720
>You can use a dumbbell /barbell to simulate a planch
No you can't.
>>
>do calisthenics for some years

>shoulders and traps so fucking wrecked from overuse that now even carrying grocery bags hurts joints

y-yeah f-functional strength amirite
>>
>>38967855
>Do an exercise wrong
>Injure myself
>Somehow it's the exercise's fault
>>
wtf i hate weightlifting now
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.