[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here a black belt in something? I had a flipino coworker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: partial_arts.webm (1MB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
partial_arts.webm
1MB, 460x258px
anyone here a black belt in something?

I had a flipino coworker who was 5'8 300lb and he recommended me to learn tai chi or akido something, he said he beat some guy in a fight by transferring his energy of his punch to himself. sounds legit I'm signing up for one but its like $500 a month
>>
Can't tell if bait. Ill give benefit of the doubt. Don't do either. Taichi is for old people, and about keeping a healthy body/mind. Aikido is literal shit. I'm sure it works sometimes but it doesn't spar or train with resistance. And that's a problem, becuase irl people aren't compliant. You need something that trains with resistance, ideally full resistance. I do bjj and I rolled with some akidoka (no idea of rank) me, as a 4 stripe white steamrolled them, as well as the other new people. Just Google any akidoka vs anything and they almost always lose/don't do well.
>>
File: 1435077887050.jpg (961KB, 3756x2704px) Image search: [Google]
1435077887050.jpg
961KB, 3756x2704px
>>38960244
>that fucking flail
>>
>>38960244
Fuck almighty this webm depressed me.

There really is no god.
>>
>5'8" 300lbs

stopped reading there
>>
im a brown belt in kyokushin, blue belt in bjj

the only thing that is a bigger joke than aikido is paying 500$ a month for it
>>
>>38960902
>kyokushin

lmao what
>>
> Blackbelt in Aikido
> Can think of literally zero reasons to practice aikido
> 0/10 would not recommend

Don't go looking for fights. I saved you $500.
>>
File: punksgame.jpg (41KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
punksgame.jpg
41KB, 309x400px
>>38960244

i want to be a bb in bjj from a respected teacher. but i am probably too old
>>
File: knickediknack.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
knickediknack.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>38960857
have another one
>>
File: scoobys afterbirth.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
scoobys afterbirth.webm
2MB, 640x640px
>>38960857
>>
>>38960244
>that file name

simply eric
>>
>>38961294
scooby was always horrible looking already so I can't tell the difference.
>>
>>38960244
If this is b8 I'll bite. Tai chi and Aikido were mainly created for the spiritual improvement. They don't have any competition nor is the focus on them the fighting itself.
Tai Chi tries teaching you taoistic concepts and Aikido is teaching Budo/Shinto.
Think about them like Yoga and it is atmost a self defense.
They can work since they share techniques with other styles, but you probably need 20+ years, talent and a lot of experience with fighting, which you won't ironically gain with those styles.
But..... there have been attempts of practioners from those style to make it competitve.
Since you are more interested in the butt-kicing I wouldn't recommend a traditional school. At least look for one that is a side branch and is trying to make it street fight/competition viable.
>>
>>38961201
never let that stop you from knowing how to defend yourself anon
>>
>>38961201
Al bundy is a bb in bjj
>>
>>38961133

It's a style of karate where they punch the shit out of each other. I've just started it myself after a lot of time wasted on taekwondo. Good shit.
>>
>>38960244

Shodan in kendo. Next to zero usefulness IRL, but fun to do. Which can be said of just about every martial art anyway.

Self defense steps anyone can (and should) use:
1. Do go shitty places
2. Situational awareness
3. Confident body language
4. Have a battle buddy
>>
I am an amateur muay thai competitor, been at it a few years now. If you can find a good place and train smart I'd recommend martial arts to anyone
>>
>>38960244
Tell that pinoy coworker he is a traitor. He should have learned Eskrima if he is a true pinoy.
>>
>>38961762

is it good to supplement MT at a boxing gym to get tighter hands
>>
>>38961463
no, taichi was invented as a therapeutic set of movements to keep your muscles from atrophying to a fuckall useless state.
>>
>>38961624
>wasted
taekwondo is flashy as fuck. great for impressing normies.
>>
>>38960244
I honestly see no reason to learn any type of martial arts. They're supposed to be "self defense" but you will not think about them when you actually get in a fight. Fights are instinctual, martial arts is basically choreography.

BJJ + Krav Maga seems like the best combo. BJJ for falling, Krav Maga for legit self defense.

>>38961463
This too. A lot of martial arts seems to be some mix of useless self defense and spirituality. Just go for straight self defense and then something that's straight spirituality.
>>
>>38961294
This is admirable.
>>
>>38961944
>Fights are instinctual, martial arts is basically choreography.
You got mcdojo'd as a child, didn't you
>>
>>38961939

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that, and I can kick better than most of the people in my karate dojo, but I guess given I wanted to learn to fight, I consider the time wasted over all.
>>
>>38961893
Certainly is, would recommend that to anyone. Most of the places I see training muay thai incorporate that to some extent, and no MT practitioner is going to have hands as good as pure boxers. But depending on where you want to take your skill, either into thai boxing, kickboxing, MMA competition or the self-defense aspect, there are a few boxing habits that don't carry over 100% and need to be adjusted a little in the new ruleset, which is why any place worth their salt should be incorporating boxing skills into training from the ground up. Still, you'll never go wrong getting training, sparring or other experience with pure boxers either.
>>
>>38961928
Sry to burst your bubble Taijiquan or Tai Chi (Flow of Chi) was ofc "invented as a therapeutic set of movements to keep your muscles from atrophying to a fuckall useless state", but Shaolin Kung Fu, too.
Please read the Tao Tei Djing (kinda the bible of daosim) and you will see how much it actually inspired Tai chi.
I'm not going to go into detail, because I could write a book about the topic.
So I'm just going to post this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi
>>
>>38961968
Now that I think about, yeah. It wasn't run by a company or anything but I didn't really learn shit except to memorize a big thing about only using it in self defense, and some moves that we only really used for show.
>>
I have a black belt in McDojo karate (shotokan.) I got it in two years and literally couldn't throw a damaging punch or kick to save my life when I got it. Would not recommend. Shotokan is basically a test of whether or not you can do stupid kata dances correctly. I guess I'm a more fluid dancer because of it....

I'm a legit purple belt in BJJ and normies don't think anything of it but when I say I'm a black belt in karate they think I can punch through concrete walls and that I'm badass. It's fucking stupid.
>>
>>38962319
how many years did it take to get ur purple

what is the lineage
>>
>>38962319
A shame you wasted your time with Shotokan. That patience would have been far better invested in any Okinawan Karate or Kyoukushin Kaikan. Shotokan is an simplyfied altered vers. of Okinawan Karate, which was intended to be school sports and fitness training for the mass.
>>
>>38961294
A retard that probably can't even bench properly looks better than me.
>>
>>38960244
Don't train with a place that cater mostly towards people in their 30-40's. You're better off just making gains.
Am black belt and trust me, big dudes are fucking hard to punch in the face even if they have no fighting experience.
Your safest bet if you want to keep your own in a streetfight is to start boxing/kickboxing or muy thai. A lot of fighting style try teach you fancy moves which are only good if you drill them to the point they become second nature, which takes fucking ages. Don't learn that garbage, just learn how a fight works. Boxing will teach you how to handle getting punched at and how to react and be proactive about the fight in general. Literally your safest gamble. Plus, sparring is tiring as fuck and probably the most fun you'll ever have doing martial arts.
>>
>>38961133
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exYXeMkpoCM
>>
>>38962319
>normies
I don't know what the fucking phenomenon is with fighting but every single person, regardless even if they've literally just out and admited they have zero experience in the skill, will dictate to anyone thatll listen exactly how fighting should be done and exactly how the skill should play out. We can talk about music performance and people who aren't musicians don't try to educate people on music craft, we can talk about car racing and people that aren't mechanics don't try to lecture on how to build a race car, but for some reason everyone knows they have the right idea on how to fight.
I had a couple guys explaining to me, a kickboxer, that push kicks are the proper choice for power and turning kicks are more for sweeps and such, which I could try to tell them is categorically, quantifiably wrong but they just wouldn't have a bar of it. I want to blame the UFC but I just don't know.
>>
Kyokushin brown belt. Belts are just a meme tho. Just find a kickboxing gym or something.
>>
>>38962394
Not that guy but I'm also a black belt in Shotokan

I wouldn't really call it useless, my instructor was straight from Japan and one of the world leaders on Shotokan. Admittedly the time would've been probably better served in something else but Shotokan is far from useless. Not to mention there are shit dojos and good dojos in any style.
>>
>>38962528
A kickboxing gym without belts is a pretty shitty kickboxing gym
>Championship belts!
>>
>>38962571
I'm sayin that when some lanklet tells you that he has a black belt, it actually means fuck all.
>>
I got a blakcbelt in McDojo TaeKwonDo. And after doing it for about 5 years, I honestly feel like I could win a fight against most people. It's a lot of choreography and flashy shit, sure, but a lot of what we did were just basic punches and kicks repeated over and over. Bruce Lee said something about fearing someone that had done a hundred thousand kicks or something. It's the muscle memory. In a fight situation, my instincts would automatically revert to that muscle memory that I've trained for years and I would strike with the full force of my body in a split second, likely with follow up attacks to be sure because I don't have any actual fight experience (plenty of sparring in the McDojo though).

It's worth it bro. You'll get out of it what you put into it, just like lifting.
>>
>>38962564
Sry, didn't want to disrespect the art I was just trying to say that it isn't as hard-core as the other karate styles and more "casual". The techniques are from other styles anyway and there are some good MMA Shotokans out there, but they trained differently then the average Shotakan practitioner. Less Katas and more sparing.
>>
>>38960244
This webm right here is the fucking problem with society today. You have a fucking disability, accept it. Life is not fair but don't be so fucking delusional as to think you can practice any martial arts while looking like this man. His fucking family and friends are all pieces of shit for allowing this person to do this shit. Not everyone can do everything. The safety net society is creating to remove the concept of failure and the "safe space" concepts are breeding fucking imbecils and disingenuous people.
>>
>>38962586
I was just having a laugh mate
>>
>>38961294
wtf is going on here, seriously?
>>
>>38962688
I would assume body builder with CP
>>
>>38961294
I wanna see how he lifts. How can he keep a good form?
>>
>>38962319
>>38962394
>Shotokan is basically a test of whether or not you can do stupid kata dances correctly. I guess I'm a more fluid dancer because of it....
Wrong. Full contact Shotokan karateka here. Your school was shit. Shotokan's not. Your're just retardedly jumping on the style bashing bandwagon. Don't pass off the failings of other factors on the style, especially when Shotokan does work..
>>
>>38962717
He can't, thats why he looks like shit. Someone is going to say i'm an asshole because he has a disability and still had the balls to get up there but that's not at all where im coming from. He looks like shit and i say that because im holding him to the standard i would hold anyone else on that stage. I don't give a flying fuck about his disability, he will get the same judgement and be treated exactly the same as i would treat anyone else that looks like shit.
>>
>>38961944
Your're fucking retarded
>>
>>38962743
t. guy who watches too much tae kwon do on youtube
>>
yeah, in hapkido
>>
>>38962763
What's the deal with hapkido
>>
File: 1443648839479.png (1MB, 934x682px) Image search: [Google]
1443648839479.png
1MB, 934x682px
Getting my purple belt in less than a week in BJJ.

I'm so happy desu sempai.

>>38962319
How legit?
>>
>>38961463
>Tai Chi tries teaching you taoistic concepts

You clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>38962638
Nah it's cool I've just seen Shotokan being shit on on this website quite often.
To be fair I have no idea what category my dojo fell into, but it was high contact enough in which a guy got knocked out before and I've gotten a tooth knocked out.

Like I said, bad dojos and good dojos but if I had to do it again then yes maybe I'd choose another style.
>>
File: 1434402218455.jpg (18KB, 800x630px) Image search: [Google]
1434402218455.jpg
18KB, 800x630px
>>38960244
>partial_arts.webm
>>
>>38962759
> Fights are instinctual, martial arts is basically choreography.
>This and his bullshitting about martial arts he probably hasn't even trained in isn't retarded as fuck
>t. guy who watches too much tae kwon do on youtube
>t. armchair neckbeard who knows fuck all about MA
>>
>>38962080
Taekwondo is good if you learn to kick fast, most people expect a fist so when you suddenly bust a roundhouse you'll probably get a decent shot off
>>
>>38962638
I was taught two styles and one style was 100% better suited for in real life moments. Not that it matters, you should be aiming to end a fight in the first move anyway. But its pretty fun and kept me active
>>
>>38962810
You're right that he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about but he at least did get right Tai Chi's link to Taoism.
>>
>>38962810
Jokes on you

>The concept of the taiji ("supreme ultimate"), in contrast with wuji ("without ultimate"), appears in both Taoist and Confucian Chinese philosophy, where it represents the fusion or mother[2] of yin and yang into a single ultimate, represented by the taijitu symbol Taijitu - Small (CW).svg. T'ai chi ch'uan theory and practice evolved in agreement with many Chinese philosophical principles, including those of Taoism and Confucianism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi
>>
>>38961463
>side branch or something non traditional
>what is Judo
M8 there are plenty of traditional fighting styles out there, just don't be an idiot and you'll find them.
>>
>>38962825
>implying your practiced moves for fair fighting are gonna stop a fuckhuge guy full of rage
heh nothing personal kid
>>
>>38962871
Well regarding my use of the term traditional schools I just actually ment Tai Chi and Aikido. I know there are other styles. I could list at least 30 Japanese once.

Judo does have competition so it's an evolving art compared to the Tai Chi and Aikido.
>>
>>38962887
Not him but it's about muscle memory. You're right that fights are more instinct, but you have no fucking instinct to pull from regarding fighting you tard. A good martial art will out you into realistic scenarios and how to counter them, then drill the shit out of you until it's second nature.

Versus you flailing around not knowing what the fuck to do
>>
>>38962865
I know about that but you sound like an amateur. Not trying to be pretentious but Chinese culture in general is ruled by the yin yang and taoism and Confucianism. All their martial arts are based on it so when you said Tai chi "tries" teaching you taoist concepts it bothered me. It is taoist concepts in three dimensional possibly combative form.
>>
>>38962926
But there are other arts, who have a their roots in Zen Buddhism and strongly emphasize more the Zen-buddhistic doctrine. Most Shaolin styles have a firm rooting in Bodhidarmas teaching.
>>
>>38962950
True but I would say Taoism had more of an influence on the martial arts especially when you consider the internal martial arts and also on how they do their medicine. Non-touch healing, massage, acupuncture is all based on the chi and they regulate the chi through chinese medicine (more taoism kek)
>>
>>38962950
Sorry if I was too harsh on you man I didn't mean to
>>
>>38962950
>Most Shaolin styles have a firm rooting in Bodhidarmas teaching.
False. And it's heavily contested whether Bodhidarma even existed or went to China, with many scholars agreeing he did neither. His transmission of Chan Buddhism as well as the dates of his arrival are also doubtful. Both the Shaolin Temple and Buddhism's existence in China not only predate him but were there, firmly established and in practice before he came.
>>
>>38963000
Nah, no problem m8. A good discussion always start with some diagreement. And if someone proves me wrong, I just learn more.
I'm not disagreeing with you.
But there is one aspect in a lot of styles not only chinese, that is Zen rooted and those are the forms or Katas, called by the Japanese. They are the embodiment of the way to enlightenment.
The repetitive practice of movements which become one with soul and body, so you can do them automatically without both being used/stressed. This emptiness of the mind, which is the Zen state is particularly seeked by Zen-budhism.

>>38963168
I'm aware that Bodhidarmas existence is not proven, but I'm kinda romantic, when it comes to his story. His figure as the Buddha of fighting arts is inspiring for me and gives me a clear start point of the mentality of my own style. It's more something I want to believe rather than something I believe.
>>
>>38960244
i have a black belt in keeping my pants up
>>
>>38961201
If you're under forty you have plenty of time
>>
>>38960244
No but my father's ol buddy runs some kenpo schools on the east coast. He is about 5'10 270. Nice guy built around foundation and godspeed reactions. He can't stop a bullet but he can probably break your arm before you pull the gun from your waste. I got to meet Ed Parker a few times and even chuck when he was down by one of the schools for a visit.
>>
>>38961944
>Fights are instinctual, martial arts is basically choreography.
>Krav Maga for legit self defense.

that's pretty big bait anon.

you must be pretty bored

or you are legitimately retarded. either way get some help.
>>
File: costanza1.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
costanza1.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>38963714
Or underage.
>>
"no"
>>
>>38962828

There's this prevailing opinion that muay thai/kyokushin/boxing/kickboxing + judo/wrestling/bjj is the way to go, and I think that's right, but I'd put tkd in as the best style not in those to cross train. You won't end up a fully competent striker, but those kicks man. I am glad I have them I guess, still. It's not like there aren't any good kickers in the other arts (except boxing I guess, lol), and they actually do produce competent fighters.
>>
>>38963838
Yeah I guess, I live in NZ and Taekwondo there is taken pretty seriously, we learn to punch properly and release from grabs and stuff. It's all very practical.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYG89rB6c5k&ab_channel=Potatohman
>>
>>38960244
Krav Maga, its worth it but you have no honor
>>
>>38964025
>martial art made by jews
>you have no honor if you practice it

sweet coincidences
>>
I know a brown belt in karate. You cant really go higher than that since getting black is a matter of doing something for the karate association or whatever.

Dude break hands on regular basis. He is actually a bit of a jerk, as he cant attack only self defense (if u have martial arts training attacking somebody counts as a weapon attack according to the law here lol) so he is alwas looking for a fight in a passive-agressive way. If he provokes you you are done.
>>
>>38964090
something tells me that your friend will end up stabbed, shot or beaten to a pulp
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.