[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point do you start using belts for squats? Or are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

File: 71f4Ix64HhL._SX355_.jpg (17KB, 355x228px) Image search: [Google]
71f4Ix64HhL._SX355_.jpg
17KB, 355x228px
At what point do you start using belts for squats? Or are they just a meme?
>>
>Or are they just a meme?

Ask again later, but try speaking like an adult next time. Use your big boy words, anon. I know you can do it.
>>
When you're stalling. Throw a belt on, do a little more weight for a couple weeks. Take belt off and try to do the same weight.
>>
>>38957473
Literally whenever you feel like it, and don't let anyone tell you differently. Using them properly is a skill that has to be learned though.
>>
>>38957473

If you know how to brace properly you'll gain a lot of weight out of a belt. If you don't a belt won't do anything for you.
>>
>>38957781
what the fuck?

the guy's asking a legit question and you get mad that hes using imageboard lingo

kek kill yourself
>>
>>38957473

Basically, whenever the weight begins to stress your spine and your lower back. Personally, I prefer to have a belt on after 1pl8 for squats and 2pl8 for deadlifts. It differs from person to person, though.
>>
>>38957903
that's not how belts work, at all.
>>
>>38958183
>1pl8 squatting
>Using a belt
I don't want to be mean friend, but that's babyweight right there.
>>38957473
I'd say use a belt from 2,5 pl8 squat, and 3 pl8 deadlift
>>
The correct answer is unironically when you feel the need to. A belt doesn't make your core weak, if anything it makes it stronger because it gives your abs something to actively press against. Somebody who squats more with a belt than someone who squats less without one is literally stronger.
>>
you guys need to do some reading. start here:
http://70sbig.com/blog/2009/12/belt-me-up-scotty/
http://70sbig.com/blog/2010/04/more-reasons-for-wearing-a-belt/
>>
>>38958262
Yeah, it's bullshit.
You can get strong without a belt just fine.
>>
>>38958281
You can, but a belt makes it faster and easier.
>>
>>38958311
I don't think the difference is worth worrying over.
>>
>>38958326
I have never regretted using a belt, but occasionally I wish I'd used it more.
>>
>>38957473
start using them when it gets too hard to stabilize your core versus the weight you're throwing around.
>>
>>38958387
The core is never the limiting factor in squats or deadlifts.
Abdomincal muscle activity sits around 60%, even for heavy weights.
>>
>>38957473
the belt is used to brace your spine and stop your asshole from being torn apart. Wear it when ever you are doing heavy weight.
>>
I wear a belt for any squats over 365
>>
>>38957781
dont let that virginity turn you bitter anon
>>
>>38957473
>harbinger belt

>>
>>38958281
The article has scientific studies to prove that a belt helps you. It's not bullshit.

I started using a belt when I switched from SS to TM (about 130-140kg squats for 3x5). Now, I put the belt on when my warmups get up to bodyweight.
>>
>>38958210
>3plate diddly
>using a belt
Cmon now
>>
>>38958548
I don't see any references to studies in either of those articles.

I don't have an issue with most what's written in the articles, but this is just stupid:
>if someone aims to get strong and doesn’t wear a belt, they are a fucking idiot.
>>
Have a disc issue one day, and then afterwards tell me belts are useless.

I lift both belted & beltless. Had issue about 2 years ago, and when I started back up a curl bar was too heavy for me.

The belt re-taught me to use my core and kept me moving & getting bloodflow & motion back to the area so that it could heal up
>>
i guess whenever you don't feel ashamed of wearing it at the weight you're doing.
>>
>>38957473
Whenever you want. They aren't magic and don't actually make you stronger, just more comfortable, same with knee sleeves.
>>
>>38959871
Belts are definitely not for making you comfortable if you're using them right. Bracing hard can be very uncomfortable in fact.
>>
you're not fucking powerlifting
you don't use a belt
>>
>>38959889
Yes, but it helps you to be more stable and upright, i.e. making the lift more comfortable.

I know what you mean though, I've been there where I've needed help to get my belt off
>>
>>38958210
3 plate deadlift using a belt, lol
>>
I'm on a periodization program. When I'm doing my heaviest set (usually 80-85% of 1RM) I'll put the belt on.

Sometimes after I deadlift on PPL and my lower back is fatigued from deadlifting the day before squat day, I'll put the belt on a set earlier.
>>
>>38959899
Yes, in that respect it's more comfortable. I had some really great squat sets the time I braced so hard I strained an intercostal. Afterwards was not much fun though.
>>
>>38959945
And this is why training abs is not a meme and a necessity for anyone serious about strength sports.
>>
It's just a safety measure, you don't have to if you don't want to. A bit like lifting gloves.

You don't have to have them, but if you want your hands to look more presentable to people or work then wear them.

If you use gym equipment, your performance and form tends to improve
>>
>>38958237
Someone who lifts more than you is stronger? Who knew.
>>
>>38958428
yes it you retard. the belt's entire reason for existing is to have something to brace against, tightening your core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv6dJK11zNQ
>>
>>38957473
Never if you're lifting for strength and not ego lifting.
The moment you need ANY help like a belt straps kneewraps etc is the moment you're not lifting to improve yourself, but to improve your numbers.
>>
>>38960125
No, it's not.
A belt allows for a stiffer trunk, which aids the spinal erectors in keeping the back straight.

The spinal erectors can be a limiting factor easily.
That's different from the core muscles being a limiting factor.
>>
>>38960188
a belt is not for keeping your back straight.
>>
>>38960188
Spinal erectors are among the core muscles...
>>
>>38960201
In the end, yeah, it is.

>>38960214
Depends on your definition of core muscles...
>>
>>38960224
>In the end, yeah, it is.
No, it isn't. You're the reason why people who diddly 2.5 plate think they need to use a belt to cure their catback.
>>
>>38960238
Yeah, it is, and no, I'm not.
A belt isn't a good tool to cure a catback.

Read the strengtheory articles if you actually want to understand how this all works.
>>
>>38960284
Your article says that belt simply help you brace your core -- exactly what I've been saying. It's something to push against, with your gut, to brace your body for a lift.

That brace will keep your back straight, sure, but the belt does not keep your back straight.

When you can't brace your own core (through abs, legs, and hip bracing), using the belt to brace *against* can and will cause your lifts to rise because.
>>
You better be squatting 5pl8s if you wanna use a belt anything lower than that does not require a belt. At all.
>>
After using a belt on squats/DL lately (I'm around 2plaet on both lifts) I felt less pain in lower back, more core contraction and kinda more strength due to psychical comfort (no pain in lower back = my brain doesn't shut my body down).

So yeah, use belt when you feel it's a good idea, there's no arbitrary "too low weight" where wearing a belt is seen as a joke.

I've only heard that belt make you get less lower back gains due to taking load of them, but I think it may be broscience. need someone smarter to approve/disprove.
>>
>>38960380
I will reiterate: the core muscles (anterior and lateral, so excluding the spinal erectors) are never a limiting factor in squats or deadlifts.
They *aid* spinal extension, which *can* be a limiting factor.

>That brace will keep your back straight, sure, but the belt does not keep your back straight.
A belt allows a better brace, so it will help keep your back straight...

Without the spinal erectors, bracing the core would just collapse the trunk into flexion.
>>
It's high time someone posted this again it seems: http://strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/
>>
>>38960522
>>this item which helps those core muscles over that limitation doesn't aid core muscles
When did I say that?

It does sound funny that eventhough the core muscles themselves aren't a limiting factor, their aid in trunk support together with limited spinal extension strength can be a limiting factor.
>>
>>38960556
i dont even understand your argument anymore.
>>
>>38960577
Then maybe don't post misinformation like "a belt doesn't aid in keeping the back straight".
>>
>>38960444

>belt make you get less lower back gains due to taking load of them

Yeah, now that I've read what >>38958262 posted I feel stupid for what I have written. It was some broscience I found when googling "lifting belts" and going to random websites with people having no idea what they are saying.

I'm really grateful for having you guys. You may be harsh in words, and judgmental at times, but at least dyels like me get a lot of useful data on their journey to making it. Cheers
>>
>>38960594
Hahaha, it was you who said belts are for "... keeping the back straight.". I like your tactics, though, mis-quotes and all.
>>
>>38960606
Those articles don't tell the whole story either.
A belt does take load off the spinal erectors, if you were to use the same weights.
But because you can use higher weights with it, the load on the erectors will be similar.

>>38960618
Read my post again...
*doesn't*
>>
>>38960645
So when is the best time to start using a belt?
>>
I started wearing a belt at 275 lbs for 3x5 for squats and 315 1x5 for deadlifts.
>>
don't compromise your safety m8, it's good to use
>>
I squat 245x5 and I use a belt.....

Lucky for me I don't care what people think.
>>
>>38957473
I started using a belt at 100lbs squat

6 months later I can squat 135lbs for a max.

I really feel like im making quick progress!
>>
>>38960668
Whenever you feel like it.
Whenver you're ready to shill out some money for it.

strengtheory.com has a section "When Should You Start?" in its belt bible article.
Give that a read.
>>
>>38958210
M8 I'm a fatty who's been lifting for 2 months and I deadlift 3 plate
>>
>>38957781

>on an imageboard
>mild imageboard lingo triggers him

It's not like the dude went full leetspeak, fampai.
>>
>>38957473
Bought my 13 mm thick leather belt once I hit 365 squat and 465 diddlylift.

Squat jumped to an easy 405, deadlift to 505. God bless.
>>
>>38957903
this is shitty advice
>>
>>38957473
>squat: working sets
>diddly and rows: last warmups and working sets.
>cleans and snatchs: 90%+ my 1RM
>ThePress(TM): last warmups and working sets.

IMO using it with ohp is key. A top set ohp can fuck up your lower back big time if your form goes down the drain.
>>
>>38958237
>Somebody who squats more with a belt than someone who squats less without one is literally stronger.

....what? You aren't even measuring the same thing, that's fucking stupid to say that one guy is stronger
>>
File: 1474096040199.jpg (37KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474096040199.jpg
37KB, 640x640px
>>38957781
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.