[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does identical weight on either side of the bar actually matter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1474162774309.jpg (390KB, 960x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1474162774309.jpg
390KB, 960x1199px
does identical weight on either side of the bar actually matter?
I've been lifting for a few years now and never even thought to question this. but today I saw some dyel squatting with 2x15 on one side and 10+10+5+5 on the other and was wondering if I should go over and say something before I started to question does it make any difference

sure the center of gravity is a tiny bit to one side but would it make any actual difference considering the squat bar can probably be more than a few millimeters off center anyway
>>
>>38954214

In theory smaller plates should have tighter tolerances and should be closer to their true weight.

Few of the plates in any gym are going to be true to weight. If you assume a 5% error tolerance on any weight, 5% of 5lbs is going to be much smaller than 5% of 45lbs.

The 10-10-5-5 side might be closer to 30 than the 15-15
>>
>>38954255
good point but I was more thinking about the unequal weight distribution
>>
Depends on the tolerance of the weight and the number of weights you have.

With small tolerances, larger weights will be off by more weight than their smaller counterparts if the tolerance is a percentage. If tolerance is just +/- some weight then size of the weight doesn't matter.

Then with more weights, you have a greater chance for an imbalance between the two sides with the extreme being you put all ones that are slightly light on one side and ones that are slightly heavy on the other. This however is much more unlikely than getting somewhere in between.

Uneven weight distribution would cause one side of your body to have to work a little bit harder. Since the difference between the sides should be small if the tolerances on the weights are small, It shouldn't matter that one side is just a tad out of balance with the other.
>>
>>38954316

that should just compound the issue shouldn't it?

one side is closer to 30 than the other, and the spread of the weights is different on both sides

the center of mass could then be moved more than you might expect

Will this make a difference at 105lbs? Nah not really. Faggot was just being lazy.
>>
>>38954255
>In theory smaller plates should have tighter tolerances
If plates are within a certain % of nominal weight then it's almost the same shit, because you need more of the smaller plates so the % of weight adds up. Only with more smaller plates you get a higher probability that the total weight will be close to the mean (grossly simplifying, one plate has 50% chance it will be over or under the nominal weight, but two half plates will have 50% chance that one is lighter and one is heavier, and 25% chance that either both are heavier or both are lighter. this gets more complicated as the plates can be lighter or heavier by varying amounts, but I think the basic argument still stands)
>>
https://youtu.be/_0WxyKGD7sU
Skip to 2:25
>>
>>38954420
ahhh thank god there is another math literate person here.

OP there isnt really a difference as long as it is symmetric on the other side. What you are describing would give the bar a center of mass that isnt exactly in the middle.
>>
File: ssc.png (356KB, 440x442px) Image search: [Google]
ssc.png
356KB, 440x442px
>>38954214
One one side torque will be slighty bigger, but few things even it out:
1. Bar isn't weightless like in classic physics examples, it regulates COG a bit
2. Your back or two palm grip isn't a singular point on exact middle of the bar
3. That massive roided guy next to you is fucking up the gravity field
>>
For a minute there I thought you were going to ask "Is putting a 45 lbs plate on one side and a 15 lbs plate on the other a good idea?"

I don't see why you wouldn't use symmetrical weights unless they simply weren't available.

My guess is your retard was too dumb to put 1x15, 1x 10 and 1x5 on each side of the bar.
>>
File: 1450670919290.png (6KB, 358x291px) Image search: [Google]
1450670919290.png
6KB, 358x291px
>>38954950
>dizzy after completing squat 3x5 PR
>accidentally load 25+5 and 25+2.5 (hex plates so the handles start appearing on the 10s) after warming up with just the bar for OHP
>mfw stripping the bar to load working weight
>>
>>38954214
Even if both sides had the exactly same amount of weight, at least for me the asymmetry would be extremely distracting. I could never lift that way.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.