[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People with shit backs - how did you fix your back? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: download (6).jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
7KB, 225x225px
People with shit backs - how did you fix your back?

I can't get my lats working at all. Not in isolation exercises nor in compounds. I don't think I've ever had my lats pumped full of blood and I've trained for years. Like I legit can't flex them or move them properly if I try, right now. I feel so fucking dumb. I 'flex' my lats I feel my chest and rear deltoid tensing up.

Only exercise where I feel them working is when I do lat pulldown with a extremely pronounced chest, but that's just one of my exercises for back and without straps arms give away first.
>>
I read various guides on activating latissimus dorsi and videos by trainers showcasing them but all I feel are rear deltoids, traps, and triceps when I do these exercises or activation exercises.

I guess I should visit some physiotherapist to see if I have something weird going on my shoulder line.
>>
desperation bumb
>>
>>38770111
assisted pullups, pull from the armpit.

Done deal
>>
Touched on this in a thread regarding dead hanging. Its probably your scap retraction, I imagine your shoulders roll forward and your scap is not set when you pull.

Isolate your serratus and focus on building your mid back. Spend less time slumped over. One thing you'll notice about people with good lats is they have fabulous serratus and midback development. Your scap can't really track down the plane of a pullup if it's not completely set

t. Physio
>>
>>38770111
Do assisted pullups or negative pullups. If your gym has some plate loaded lat pull downs do those too.
>>
>>38770514
I can't imagine my shoulders are rolled forward, I've looked for signs but I'm comfortable in saying that they're properly set/anatomically correct position. Of course I could be wrong. If I try to flex or pose my lats I have trouble even 'finding them' so to speak.

>midback.
Most of the rows (t-bars, dumbell rows etc) already go like 90% to my mid back if the pump and ache is anything to go by and I have fairly strong dumbell row that I do horizontally supported by a bench and with a flared elbow (if I close the elbow/torso angle I just get a massive tricep pump)

I try training serratus thanks for the tip.
>>
>>38770111
Wide grip pull-ups, as wide as you can and you'll still be able to do up to 10 pull-ups. When you can do 10, add another set up to 10 until you can do 3 sets and then just go wider, add weight, wider again or what you feel for.

This can take months depending on your starting position, but shit is working.
>>
Neutral grip pullups have the bets lat activation out of the pullup/chinup variations
>>
Push your shoulders forward and down to flare the lats.

Hold your arms out above and in front of you the way you would to do a chin up, pull the elbows downward, this is achieved by the lats flexing.
>>
>>38770111
To flex, imagine it like trying to pull your Ripcage together, like you want to make your ripcage smaller
>>
>>38770567
Different biomechs for everyone, just keep at it, if you have virtually no lats when flaring even with poor function that means you probably aren't very advanced. (No offence it's just that they would have been collaterally hit enough from db rows by now if that were not the case)

Just keep at it and stay focused on that mid back, easily the most neglected component of your average lifter
>>
>>38770572
And when I say a "pull-up" I mean a goddamn pull-up, hang relax, pull atleast your chin over the bar, hang relax. No swinging your legs or any of that acrobatic shit.
>>
>>38770582
That's the one exercise that manages to make my lats do some work. I do them with a neutral grip with an extremely pronounced chest out form, but I can't seem to replicate this lat activation in anything else and that's whats eating me I suppose.
>>
>>38770567
had the problem too, let me ask you a question: how many pullups/with how much weight can you do them? bcuz to get mine up i nneded to increase my scapula strength A LOT, and now i feel lat pulldown on the lats bcuz i can hold my scapula down with ease now.
tldr; its def not the serratus, its more about you traps, do/increase pullups and learn to keep your scapula down with full strength, then youll feel it
>>
>>38770754
This is wrong, the way the trapezisus affects the scap is by bringing it into sternoclavicular rotation, the opposite of what you want. Strengthen your rhomboids.
>>
>>38770754
I can do 30kgx5@98kg and this is from dead hang, palms facing me (195cm tall), but all I have to show from this are just some arms.
>learn to keep your scapula down with full strength
Wait, it isn't supposed to move up and down? I don't really try to keep it down but let it move up and down (instead of keeping them down)
>>
File: Scapular-Wall-Slides.jpg (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Scapular-Wall-Slides.jpg
3MB, 2048x1536px
>>38770111
Wall slides and straight arm pull downs to learn what the contraction feels like, then transfer that to your main back lifts

You'll be surprised how well this activates your back
>>
>>38770863
I do straight arm pulldowns twice a week for three weeks now and I honestly feel fucking stupid while doing them, I feel nothing in my back when I do them.

I don't know what muscle does my straight arm pulldowns but just based on feel and ache it's certainly not anything in my back.

but I've kept them in my program in the off chance I have a moment of clarity with it.
>>
>>38770905
Lighten the weight, don't bend over, and keep your damn arms straight, cheater!

Also, don't skip over the wall slides I mentioned. Go down one now just to feel it
>>
kroc rows! i never felt my lats until doing them
>>
File: IMG_20160819_012033.jpg (336KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_012033.jpg
336KB, 960x1280px
My back is decent I guess. Personally I switched from chinups to Pullups and started doing all of my rowing movements using cables.

Using cables keeps tension on the muscle through out the movement so the entire time you're performing reps you can "feel" what you need to do to engage your lats. The main point I hear often that I feel can't be repeated enough is to imagine pulling with your elbows.
>>
File: 1355597725023.png (36KB, 872x625px) Image search: [Google]
1355597725023.png
36KB, 872x625px
It took me a while to get a feel of my back actually doing the concentric and eccentric movement of the exercises.

>tfw my back (rhomb and traps that cover it) won't grow
>tfw valley back
>>
>>38770820
well, now im confused. my neck cant stand pullups with a moving scapula, but pulldowns are fine. so when i sat on the pullup assist machine i had to learn how to keep my scapula down with full power, and after that when i did it during pulldowns i started to feel my lats, and for some reason shortly afterwards during bb rows, where i even got a lat pump. thats what made my lats pumpable. and i dont mean retract like benching, just keeping it down with full power
>>
>>38770954
lol they arent for ur lats man
>>
>>38771027
holy shit what are you 5'3?
>>
>>38771517
5'5 manlet mustard racist, breh
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.