[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any circumstances - no matter how unusual - in which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: fat genetics 1.jpg (541KB, 1450x2048px) Image search: [Google]
fat genetics 1.jpg
541KB, 1450x2048px
Are there any circumstances - no matter how unusual - in which a caloric deficit will NOT result in weight loss over any substantial period of time

Any at all?

I can't find any - but so many people claim to have tried to lose weight by controlling their caloric intake and failed that I figure I ought to look quite exhaustively.

I am quite sure that they're just lying or failing to correctly monitor their caloric balance (indeed I have found many studies which have found this to be true - especially for obese patients who seem to under-report their intake by at least 30%, and often by much more than that); but I want to be absolutely sure.

So, are there ANY circumstances in which calorie controlled diets have been shown not to work? Peer-reviewed studies only, please.

Thanks /fit/.
>>
>>38600948
Death. Once body systems do not function, weight will not be lost regardless of how many calories aren't placed in tbe corpse, until decomposition that is
>>
>>38600948
if you mean on the scale, water weight/gylcogen/shit weight/pregnancy

if you mean actual loss of bodyfat ; only (super fucking rare) genetic diseases that make the body consume muscle instead of fat
>>
>>38600974

I mean the latter case; I'm excepting things like massive tumours and so on.
>>
>>38600970

Most people who report failing to lose weight after being on calorie-controlled diet are not dead, so this isn't really within the parameters of a question. You might as well say 'being a robot' or something.
>>
>>38600948
No, by definition an energy deficit will lead to weight loss. There are conditions that will make a deficit really hard to achieve
>>
>>38601205

> There are conditions that will make a deficit really hard to achieve

Could you list some examples of these? I'm going to try to come up with a reasonable estimate of the percentage of overweight people who *may* have genuine excuses for finding it difficult to lose weight.
>>
File: image.png (342KB, 921x741px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
342KB, 921x741px
>>38601205
No
>>
Yes, fat turning into bones.
Your fat can turn into bones if you eat too much veggies and vitamins.
>>
>>38601223
>1992

:^)
>>
>>38601223

I believe this is one of the studies I referred to (obliquely) in the OP; I've seen dozens with this finding. I haven't found any that found that people were *actually* in deficit and not losing weight.
>>
>>38601230

[citation needed]
>>
>>38601220
Well off the top of my head there was a 4'8 drama teacher at my high school who lost her legs in a car crash. She was bound to an electric wheelchair. Someone like that would have to eat like 800 calories to lose weight.

>>38601223
What does that have to do with my post? If anything it agrees with it
>>
>>38601220
Insulin sensitivity, leptin sensitivity, thermogenic adaptation, hormone production/(im)balances, specifically test (mostly for men),progesterone and estrogen (mostly for women), ghrelin, and gh. There are many other factors that can play into overall metabolic health, which can affect how low your tdee goes, which can lead to needing to eat an impossibily low amount of calories to sustain a meaningful deficit.

Obviously at that point the maim focus is fixing metabolic health, as those factors are treatable.

But this all overlooks psychological compliance to the deficit, which is just as important and can be affected by many factors .

Thermic effect of food, nutrient timing, meal frequency, nutritional content of food, non-exercise activity thermogenesis, and many other factors will play into how gruesome abiding by a deficit can be
>>
>>38601251

So just having a very low activity-adjusted BMR, basically?

Are there any medical conditions which cause this which are unconnected to having a very small body or being physically inactive?

Are there any conditions that would mean that a physically able man or woman of normal stature could not lose weight by maintaining a caloric deficit?
>>
>>38601272

Are you aware of any good papers on the psychological reasons for why patients fail to adhere?

I am totally aware of and accept the fact that many people do suffer such problems and it's clearly a major problem; but having not experienced them myself I find it very hard to relate.
>>
>>38601233
>science stops being correct after 2 decades
That germ theory of disease is pretty old.
Must be wrong, and E.Coli don't real :^)

>2016
>still believing in the outdated round earth theory

If there were newer studies that called these findings into question or had conflicting results, you might have a point. But this is the overwhelming academic consensus.
Stop pretending you can into science
>>
>>38601289
Not really any literature directly on this aunject, afaik. You would probably be interested in the works of lyle mcdonald and martin berkhan, though.

The physiological problems can almost all be """fixed""" with anaerobic activity, and elevated levels of NEPA
>>
>>38601273
I've never looked into it, but PCOS is normally cited as some form of excuse
>>
>>38601346
And muh thyroid

Pcos isnt that valid though. Literally lift and eat less
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k
>>
>>38600948
The bread alone is 500 calories more than I'm currently eating PER DAY. Fucking fatties man.
>>
>>38601404

She's even fatter now. She had to be cut out of her house. A wall needed to be knocked in and she was lifted out with an industrial crane.

I'm serious.

I believe her name was 'Gemma Collins' or something.
>>
>>38601497

Oh, my mistake.

It's 'Georgia Davis'.
>>
>>38601233
If anything, these numbers would be bigger in 2016 with the increases in obesity and HAES
>>
File: tumblr_nm8aksxgGj1spt7hto1_500.gif (440KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm8aksxgGj1spt7hto1_500.gif
440KB, 500x281px
>>38600948
>Are there any circumstances - no matter how unusual - in which a caloric deficit will NOT result in weight loss over any substantial period of time
the thing is, eating at your bmr doesnt mean that you will loose weight. being fat is hard and loosing weight might become impossible at times. a womans bmr is generally around 1300 calories. so if she is fat, eatin 1300 calories will hardly mean weight loss. and also she have to create the deficit by exercise now. and we know that, u dont burn that much calories with exercise. consider, 1kg of body fat is 3500 calories. 1 hour walk burns around 150 calories. which is hard to perform for an obese. and if she have a fatty liver, from all the food she ate she probly does, and as u know, liver is the main fat burning organ in body, you can guess how hard it will be to loose the weight. if she is addicted to wheat, grains -lectins in those binds with every cell in your body and makes you hungry even if u dont need calories. and it takes physical effort and time to clean the body from that lectins. for an obese, this will be impossible too. sugar addiction also is a thing. and too all these hardship, there is also a thing called motivation, psychology etc. for a person who gets disgusted looks everyday, gets fat people hate stories on internet, never liked by anybody for her entire life, and her only escape of happiness is foods that made her addicted. and she cant loose weight even if she tries, in a reasonable manner, with that broken metabolism. also widened stomach. reason why people get stomach surgeries.

it is really very hard beyond your comprehension. these people are not stupid or weak willed. they need support and actual, legit, medical, psychological support and help

its sad that, they are the punching bag of the societies justified bullying. with a media that favors sex over everything, these people becomes instantly unworthy with their bodies.
>>
>are they any circumstances no matter how unusual in which a fire will continue to burn without any sort of external source to fuel it?

The fuck do you think?
>>
>>38600948

As a hypothetical, you might have a disabled/disrupted ability to convert adipose tissue to energy even though you have no problem creating it (in which case, you'd starve before losing weight), though as far as I know, this is a non-existent condition.
>>
>>38601769
>fat (hamplanet style)
>1300bmr
decent bait made me reply
>>
>>38601769

I didn't ask if it was hard. I don't care if it's hard or not. If people can't do hard things to get desired results, they do not deserve those results.

I asked if there are reasons why it is *not possible*.

Something hard is perfectly possible if people are willing to do what is necessary to achieve it.

People only have excuses for failing to do things if those things are actually impossible; not if they're just 'hard'.
>>
File: English.gif (210KB, 430x140px) Image search: [Google]
English.gif
210KB, 430x140px
>>38601769
>>
>>38601799

Is it even physically possible for such a condition to exist?
>>
>>38601827
big words

digging thru a mountain with a nail, is possible
people who doesnt do it are losers, because its just *hard*, but possible
>>
>still beveling in the calories in vs calories out meme

you can't be serious right?
>>
File: 1472498397150.jpg (227KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472498397150.jpg
227KB, 480x640px
>>38601021
Yeah, but what if I am dead on the inside?
>>
>>38601855

There's a dysfunction for every lipase your body produces, though that usually results in lipids accumulating in strange places that aren't generally associated with being a fatty. Anything that would cause something as drastic as a complete inability to convert triglycerides into fatty acids would probably result in a very early death. You'd likely die before you ever got to obesity.

Something like this begins to describe some of the hormone/protein mutations that can impacts fat metabolism/homeostasis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15550674

Of course this goes without saying this is basically impertinent to fat acceptance.
>>
>>38601862
>>38601862
>>38601862

People don't dig through mountains with nails because there are clearly superior alternatives.

Putting a man on the moon was hard. There was no clearly superior method by which to do it other than to use extremely large and complex rockets. These were very, very hard to build; but people did it anyway. Much harder than cutting soda and pizzas out of your diet.

There are no ways to lose fat and keep it off which are clearly superior to calorie restriction.
>>
>>38601951

It should also be said that calories-in, calories-out still applies, though maintaining a healthy weight is a low-priority worry when they have health problems this severe.
>>
>>38601769
confirmed for fat sjw spic
>>
File: 1435673047938.png (84KB, 250x256px) Image search: [Google]
1435673047938.png
84KB, 250x256px
>>38601273
>Are there any conditions that would mean that a physically able man or woman of normal stature could not lose weight by maintaining a caloric deficit?

???

Have you ever seen a fat person who starved to death? This is a retarded question. The only time the body will stop metabolic activity is death
>>
>>38601862

You're comparing losing weight to digging through a mountain with a nail. Put down the fork, you fat fuck.
>>
File: 2016-06-14 14.31.23.jpg (704KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-14 14.31.23.jpg
704KB, 2592x1944px
>>38602114
not even then desu senpai body metabolizes after death for quite a long time
>>
>>38601497
Fuck me.
>>
>>38602335

Proof: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3063476/How-Britain-s-fattest-woman-rescued-flat-TWO-cranes-SEVEN-police-cars-TWO-fire-engines-ELEVEN-medics.html
>>
>>38601220
There is no excuse anon.

I am a type 1 diabetic with hashimotos thyroiditis. That makes it hard for me to lose weight and feel satiety because

a)My body doesn't produce amylin, which makes you feel full and slows down digestion

b) I have to take highly anabolic insulin analogues

c) I have hypothyroidism if I don't take my meds

Despite this being a very bad profile for weight loss, I went from 130kg to 87kg. Was it harder than it is for the average healthy person? Yes, bit in the end it's just a matter of willpower
>>
>>38601801
I've always wondered about bmr in extreme adipose people,
Does the fatty tissue increase bmr?

Obviously intuitively a whale and a sikkcunt weighing the same, at same height should have different bmr's
>>
>>38602480

Yes, but not as much as muscle does.
>>
>>38602398

At what point do you just give up and let these creatures rest in peace?
>>
>>38602552

For people that far gone, I don't think there's much point in even trying.

I feel like people who are only mildly obese there may be some hope if they can just be convinced that we absolutely know how to fix their problem, and that all they need to do is follow our instructions.

Every day I feel that hope waning though, when they just don't want to fucking do it. They want it to be either near-instantaneous and effortless, or they don't care if they never achieve it.
>>
>>38601346
Like fucking Whitney
>>
>>38601791
If I took testosterone and jacked up my estrogen I would gain at least 10lbs of weight on a deficit due to water retention. So there is circumstances dont think so simply. OP asked about weight not muscle or fat weight.
>>
>>38600948
Insulin resistance (men can have this)
Women with PCOS (only women can have this)
Thyroids (sometime people don't know they have this)
A great number of fat cells (your parentd were extremely fat as fuck. This is the result)

Of course you can lose weight still. But it will be difficult. In the case of thyroids you will need medication. If you have hereditary fat cells (I mean an insane amount of them) you will lose weight slower than normal and if you have insulin resistance you need medication AND a special diet (not always. But most of the time)

I'm a girl with pcos that used to be fat.
There's no excuse OP but it's also not the same for everyone
>>
>>38602693

But as you say, these things just make it harder; not actually impossible.

And they don't seem to make it so much harder as to be *nearly* impossible either; they just make it somewhat harder.

It's still perfectly achievable; it just requires more discipline and more effort.
>>
Maybe if you have a tumor growing inside you? But one that gains mass from secret chlorophyll deposits on your back and gathers nutrients and moisture from the air.
>>
>>38602714
Well yeah, of course but a lot of women don't know they have pcos. A lot of men don't know they have insulin resistance and sometimes it is impossible witjout medication.
Another symptom from that is that you are tired all the time if you don't have the medication to control the thing so maybe that counts as willpower too.

I knew I had pcos when I was 15. Some women discover it in their 30s

No excuses of course but some people don't know this and end up believing they can't
>>
>>38602622
if i surgically inserted 10kg lead plates into my body i would gain at least 10kg weight
>>
File: 1472700797043.gif (1MB, 1161x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1472700797043.gif
1MB, 1161x1175px
>>38600948
>>
>>38602827

No, it's not bait. I just want to be sure that I'm right about this. I'm seeking negative feedback on my belief that calorie-controlled diets work, and there are no real exceptions to this.
>>
Absolutely not. It's a matter of fucking thermodynamics. If you're truly in a calorie defecit, that is, you're consuming fewer calories than your body consumes during a day, then you will lose weight, period, end of discussion.

Things can make it harder, some people *do* have metabolic disorders that make it more difficult to burn calories (and also leave them extremely tired, and then of course there's a myriad of mental illnesses, depression, food addiction, etc. Food is a drug, and one that we *must* consume to survive, and therefore it's a very difficult habit to kick. Believe me, I went from drinking over a liter of hard liquor a day to stone-cold sober, and 2 years out I don't even miss booze but struggle with not filling my big ass mouth with shitty snack cakes at least once or twice a week.

That being said, fatties can't be coddled. Understand the frustration, never stop encouraging, but it is *NOT* ok to enable or enocourage an addict to succumb to their addiction. They're not just lazy, feckless, losers ( well some of them are, but that's not the point right now), they're very sick and they need help.

Addiction is a disease and food addiction is no different. It's easier to blend into society as a food addict than a drug addict but that's no excuse. Any fatty who wants to live as a normal human and get control of their life and their happiness *must* confront and conquer their addiction to food.
>>
No. Perpetual motion machines don't exist. Calories in/calories out. It's thermodynamics. Nothing more to it.
>>
>>38602622
But not if you were on a caloric deficit you retard.
>>
>>38600948
If you eat metal and rocks and can't pass them they're technically no calories since your body can't digest it. You could also drink a shit ton of water but after a pretty early point with both of these you die.
>>
>>38601272
Just out of curiousity, if these people need an "impossibly low amount of calories to sustain a meaningful deficit", are they better at surviving with low amounts of food than normal people?

Would they die of hunger before losing too much weight?
>>
Is starvation mode meme?
>>
>>38605845
Not a meme, it's an even higher order of fucking bullshit.

The body will enter "starvation mode" if provided too few calories for long periods of time *once the body has dropped below 4% body fat*

That last part is what ambuloceti always forget
>>
>>38601021
All people who report failing to lose weight after being on calorie-controlled diet are failing to report that they aren't adhering to said diet.
>>
>>38602398
>10am first poliice officers arrive
>12 noon 3 police cars arrive, followed by another 4
I think this is less a cases of "we need back-up" and more " Holy shit! Terry, get over here. There's a woman so fat the fire brigade need a crane to lift her! Tell the rest of the station too."
>>
>>38606379
Sauce?
>>
>>38602398
>i know it's partly my fault
>PARTLY
what the shit
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.