[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started lifting last week, and I felt like a total idiot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: kessel_3.jpg (389KB, 733x1100px) Image search: [Google]
kessel_3.jpg
389KB, 733x1100px
I just started lifting last week, and I felt like a total idiot taking forever to actually deadlift because I kept trying to correct my stance to make sure I'm doing it right and was only using 25lbs on each side. Is it socially acceptable to do this? Thanks in advance.
>>
It's OK to learn dumbass
>>
>>38599415
Nobody gives a fuck and if they do they mostly do it silently so who cares. if somebody fronts you call management, you're adults.

form > ego lifting
>>
>>38599430
Thankfully I go to an all-male college, so it's less humiliating.
>>
It's more socially acceptable to learn how to do it the right way, rather than do it the wrong way, snap your shit up, and be known around campus as the guy who destroyed his back because he was retarded.

You'll start setting up for your lifts like it's natural after a few times doing it. Don't worry.
>>
>>38599415

Are you using 25lb bumper plates?

If you are too low to the ground with steel 25s it can be hard to get proper form.
>>
>>38599466
Is deadlifting difficult to do with proper form? The form you're supposed to be in is kind of hard for me to get right compared to things like overhead presses, squats, benching, etc. I might start recording myself on my phone to see how I'm doing it afterwards.
>>
>>38599508
Yeah, I'm using bumper plates. If I had to describe what is causing me trouble, I'd say it's that I can't find the proper position for my hips. I'm tempted to go low almost as if I'm squatting, but when I put my hips where I think they should be my back appears to arch outward.

I'm new at this so forgive me if I'm not describing these things well/properly.
>>
>>38599526
It's not too bad. Lay the bar down with your weights, and step up to the bar, feet about shoulder width apart. If you're using 25 lbs, it may be smaller than a normal plate, which put the bar closer to the ground, and can mess up your form because you have to be bent down slightly more. Try to use another plate under what you DL to bring it to the appropriate height.

From there, grip it as you would on the bench, without bending your legs, until you want to lift off. When you lift off, don't use your arms to pull the bar up, just attempt to stand up straight, and lower it by bending your knees slightly to your "ready" position again.

It's mainly just practice.
>>
>>38599547
Also, to add on to my post, the ready stance should be slightly higher than your parallel squat. You can also grip the bar tighter and try to bring your shoulders back a bit to fix your back arching outward
>>
>>38599574
>>38599601
Dang, anon. Thanks for the help. I'll screenshot this and use it as a reference. Expect before and after pics eventually.
>>
Try to tighten abs and keep chest up. That stops back arching
>>
>>38599617
If you have a metal bar or anything long enough (wrapping paper tube), you can practice setting up without worrying about hurting your back, or you can take a quick video for a slight reference, although it wont be 1:1 perfect.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.