[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >BMI ~21.5 >want to make it, /fit/ >join gym,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: trx.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
trx.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>be me
>BMI ~21.5
>want to make it, /fit/
>join gym, get free trainer session
>never worked out before
>talk about StrongLifts 5X5
>Gets me started on TRX stuff, telling me to build up form first

Now, I get that form is one of the most important things, but this rope doohickey seems weird. Am I being had? Should I just move onto the free weights by myself?
>>
>using a trainer, even a free trainer

You played yourself, chump
>>
>>38572902
It was only one session, I swear

Besides, my first time working out. I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
>>
>>38572922
>I want to learn to push a barbell up and down
>I do this without a barbell standing up hanging off some ropes

You're being had. Get that damn barbell and do your benching with it. Practice form by doing lots of warming up.
>>
You're being had-ish. I don't think there's a scam but your trainer is probably ignorant. There usually aren't standardized licensing requirements.
1. Find a GOOD trainer. Ask around. A good thing to do is to ask around at a hardcore gym.
2. Be assertive up front about what you want them to teach you. "I don't want a meal plan, cross fit, etc., I just want you to teach me proper form on these five lifts."

I used a few sessions for form when I started and I thought it was totally worth it. Just make sure the trainer is legit and be clear about what you are paying for.
>>
>>38572877
Watch his videos on YouTube. He explains all the form to you. Honestly self learning is better than fucking trainers. Con artists the lot.
>>
>>38574021
Who's videos?
>>
>>38574121
rippetoe, alan thrall for example.

otherwise listen to this guy >>38573993
that's exactly what you should do if you feel in need of qualified instruction.

TRX is the current DOMS inducing meme exercise for people who are expected to last 2 weeks at the gym "having so much fun" and then hopefully never come back while forgetting to cancel their subscription.
>>
>>38574221
>>38574021
>>38574121
I'm this guy >>38573993. For the record I totally agree that you can skip the trainer all together if you're a motivated self learner. There are good vids, and websites, plus starting strength is really helpful. For me personally I liked having a human who could watch me, answer questions, etc. but it's by no means necessary.
The most important thing is to find A way to get good form and get started,
>>
>>38574121
Rich Piana's obviously, all the other faggots aren't worth your time
>>
>>38574121
You mentioned SL5x5, the guy who made it Mehdi on his website he shows you how to do all the lifts in the program with good form. Learn to replicate it.

>>38574315
Having someone else to critique you is really good, they know the proper form though.
>>
>>38574315
OP here.
I tried doing a bodyweight at home (mostly pushups and squats) and it really did a number on my joints. My biggest concern with doing weights is that there's so much potential to get hurt.
>>
>>38574364
Are you older OP or have some reason to be worried about your joints? Been lifting for 3 months now and I haven't had any problems. With proper form you should have 0 joint pain.
>>
>>38572922
The only way to learn barbell movements is to do the barbell movements. Look at Rippetoe's videos for form etc and teach yourself to do them using an empty bar, as millions have done before you.

The reason your 'trainer' told you to do that shit is likely because he doesn't have a fucking clue how to teach someone to squat, deadlift, or press properly. It actually takes some time and knowledge to be able to teach this stuff effectively, and your average gym trainer's exposure to it is about half an hour in a weekend class.

By about 3 months into lifting you'll likely be more qualified to teach complete beginners how to lift than he is.
>>
You got played, your trainer doesn't know shit.
Not to mention for SL you start WITH THE FUCKING 45lb. bar....
>>
>>38572877
Trx is good if you cant get to the gym and can be deceivingly hard.
I drive a petrol tanker for a living and keep one in my cab for days when i cant get to the gym. Hook it over my cab door and i can have a little play with it ;^)
>>
>>38574388
As much as I hate it, I've had creaky joints since 12 or so. I can pop my knuckles one at a time by clenching, my knees and wrists sometimes sound like a snapped twig. It normally doesn't hurt, but when I was doing ~60 bodyweight squats a day, it was painful in my knees (so yea, probably a form thing)

>>38574417
It was free.
>>
>>38574577
In stronglifts you only do 25 squats with the barbell on your back 3 times a week, so you'd do like 75 squats a WEEK with rest in-between with proper form, doesn't sound so bad eh?
>>
>>38572877
it wasn't a waste of time, but it won't get you to lift either
>start lifting weights
> watch Alan's or Ripptoe's videos and read about SS
>after a week or so book a session with a trainer to fix all of your mistakes
enjoy mad gainz
>>
I use the TRX for inverted rows and ab roll out
And that is all
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.