[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start incorporating chin ups and pull ups into my gym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: pull ups.jpg (23KB, 1188x1028px) Image search: [Google]
pull ups.jpg
23KB, 1188x1028px
I want to start incorporating chin ups and pull ups into my gym days to get some more back work, but I'm too weak to do any. Tips on how to build up to them?
>>
>>38555680
Negatives, dips or lat pulldowns.
>>
>>38555680
Start off doing weighted pullups.
Once you get used to them, normal pullups will be way easier
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
>>
File: pullups.png (17KB, 1714x332px) Image search: [Google]
pullups.png
17KB, 1714x332px
Dead hangs. Just hold onto the bar as long as possible, with your shoulder blades "pressed down", as if you're in a position that you're about to start the pull, but never actually do it.

Try doing some core work like leg raises while you're hanging there. If doing a two-legged hold is too hard, alternate legs, or just pull up your knees at first or something.

After a while, you'll find that you will be able to do a pullup. Do that pullup, rest, and then try to do another. Once you can do two pullups, see my pic for a progression scheme.
>>
>>38557197
How fat are you that you can't even do a single pullup without your little bs scheme?
>>
>>38557257
It's weakness, not fatness that's the problem. I'm 5'1, 150lb
>>
File: 1472814992239.jpg (43KB, 554x921px) Image search: [Google]
1472814992239.jpg
43KB, 554x921px
>>38557268
I know that feel.
>>
>>38556977
Ah thanks, this seems like a pretty solid approach to working up to it slowly.

On the subject, can anyone recommend a good pull up bar? My gym does have pull up bars but no stools or anything so I was just jumping up to do negatives today, seems like being able to just do them in my apartment would be easier with this method.
>>
>>38555680
Some gyms have assisted pullup machines. They are great. If your's doesn't, use a resistance band. Hook it under your bend knee after fixing the other side to the bar. If you can do negative, do negative. Another possibility is to have a low bar and do non-vertical pullups.
>>
>>38557268
5'1 at 150 and not having enough mass to pull yourself up means you're probably pretty chubby
>>
cut off your legs
>>
>>38559218
I'm 5'6" about about 160ish and I can do plenty of pullups. So for you to be an entire 5 inches shorter with only 10 pounds less but not being able to do a pullup says you're fat for your height.
>>
>>38561625
Meant to reply to >>38557268
>>
>>38555680
I couldn't do any and here's what I did.
First: I lost weight cuz I was fat.
Next: I did partials where I started raised slightly off the ground (I have to take my feet off the ground to completely clean hang from the bar). When I could do no more of those I jumped and grabbed the bar and did negatives. Now I can do chin ups.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.