[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A quick review of what I've noticed after lifting for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1345635672357.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1345635672357.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
A quick review of what I've noticed after lifting for a few months.

First, some background. I started with SS but have modified it a little since then, my routine is loosely:

Day A:

Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Rows 3x5

Day B

Squat 3x5
Bench 3xUntil Fail (Starts at about 7-8, then 4-6, then 2-3 - I consider this one set.
Pull ups 3xUntil Fail (starts at about 10, then 5-7, then 3 - I consider that one set)

Now what I've noticed is that I seem to get better results from taking something I can barely do 5 reps of, lowering the weight, and then doing slow, controlled reps until fail each set.

It feels better, seems like it works better, and makes it so that I am confident I am not compromising my form.

Others think you should be doing as much weight you can rep in three sets of five. I disagree.

Discuss.

tl;dr I think slightly less weight, more controlled reps (no more than 10, that means you need more weight) are more effective.
>>
Bump for good discussion. Or do you faggots not actually talk about fitness?
>>
Well.
>>
>lifting for a few months
Your opinion doesn't matter
>>
>>38523043
Here's your (You)
>>
>>38522869
form>weight, ego lifting is just begging for injury
>>
You should do lift as much as you can without sacrificing form... I don't understand the confusion.

Plus,
>lifting for a few months
You're a beginner, your body doesn't need complex routines yet, plus you still benefit a lot more from linear progression. So just lift your weights and watch your form.
>>
File: 1469471081165.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1469471081165.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>38523260
I openly admit that was me, hoping that was obvious.

>>38523247
Asking opinions so I can get where I want to be.

>>38523319
Seems like more folks in the gym are doing this than not

>>38523415
Yes, not trying to complicate my routine. Does it seem effective? Was expecting some shit for removing deadlifts.
>>
>>38523415

Also, forgot to answer with what the confusion was.

I've heard a million times someone in my position should be doing high weight, low rep (5 or so) exercises, but I find that slightly lower weight and more reps seems to work best for me.

So what gives? Am I cheating myself or simply an exception to the rule? If I use weight in which I am confident in my form, and controlling the reps then I am capable of doing up to 10 reps sometimes.

It just seems to fly in the face of what I have read.
>>
>>38523502
Didn't even notice you removed deadlifts, I say get them back on. Deadlifts will give you gains all around, plus it complements the squats nicely.

The whole point of having such a minimalistic routine, is to have only the most effective lifts in your program. Deadlifts will work you glutes, hams, forearms, traps, your whole back, it will strenghten your core, providing more support for all your other lifts... It's a series of benefits you don't get even if you combine pull-ups and rows, I am afraid you may find yourself lacking pretty badly in some area when you try to change your routine routine.

About working till failure, althou I am not against working till failure on your lifts, I think it works best with a progression like in 5/3/1, where you do it only on your last set, and you set a minimum amount of reps that should be done and adjust that to the percentage of your max you are lifting that day.

Doing 10 reps on your first set and only 2 on the last doesn't seem effective at all.
>>
>>38523610

I've really heard both sides as far as deadlifts go. I definitely want to be stronger, but mostly I want good aesthetics. Some say they're only for body builders.

The other reason I shied away from them was that they never felt... correct. I mean I never found a way to do them in which I was confident in my form. Other exercises felt right.

As far as the 10 reps down to two, thats only pull ups because after 3 sets of multiple fails you get pretty worn out. Arms feel amazing afterwards though, one of my favorite exercises because of it.

I feel like if I don't fail a rep that I am not pushing myself hard enough. I finish the 5th rep with some struggle, I say let's go for 6. Then 7 if possible. That's how it started at least.

Felt the gainz more than when I added weight to make rep 5 more difficult/undoable.
>>
>>38523535
I am the guy you talked to, and also >>38523610.
The thing with high weight is that it is subjective, high weight for you may be low weight for me and vice versa, the number of reps should reflect you goal. In my opinion, any beginner should focus on strenght, noob gains will take care of hypertrophy and you will get a nice and solid foundation.

That said, if you are looking for strenght, then doing 10 reps isn't effective. Streght is as much a feat of ability as it is of muscular force, and by ability I mean how you train you nervous system and muscular fibers to respond to an specific solocitation. When you train with high weight and low reps, you are training your body to respond very quickly, and training your nervous system to recruit all your muscle fibers as fast as possible, making you much more effective at lifting high weights.

Doing 10 reps won't do that, it isn't at all efficient in that sense.

Now, you know that you should vary your working weight by as little as 1lb if necessary, it just seems like you haven't found a balance yet.

If your goal is to good sets of 5 withh perfect form, and you can lift 225 for 5 reps with shit form, and 185 for 10 perfectly controlled reps, then logic dictates that in between those amounts there is a weight that you should be able to do 5 reps with perfect form and not a single one more, you just have to find it. But I suppose that gets easier with experience too, just keep at it.
>>
>>38523680
Then I recommend doing it 5/3/1 style, say you are doing 3 sets of five, do your first 2 sets, and then do the third one till failure, if you can't get 5 on the third, it's too heavy. Plus, it gives you a new way of looking at PRs, say you benched 220 last week and did 6 reps on your last set for a PR. This week you didn't feel confident enought to increase the weights, but you did 7 reps on your last set, you still set a new PR. Trust me, it's a fun way of doing your lifts. Only do this for upper body thou, don't Squat till failure, and most definitely don't deadlift till failure, that's just asking for a trip to snap city.

With deadlifts, form is tricky, but you shouldn't let that scare you, plenty of hard lifts out there, if the lift is worth it, then just work with lower weights untill you really get the form down, and then progress.
>>
>>38523680
Anyway, I'm off to bed bro, good luck.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.