[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on glycemic index. Does it matter or not in diet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: asthethics.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
asthethics.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
Redpill me on glycemic index. Does it matter or not in diet? Should one eat exclusively low GI products?
>>
>>38487536
It doesn't matter for fat loss, your body digests it all to simpler sugars.

It matters if you're a diabetic and can't have blood sugar spikes. Or if you're having a pre/post workout meal and need a sugar spike
>>
>>38487536
When you only eat low GI your body doesn't crave sugars making it easier to maintain low caloric intake.

Source: lost 20 lbs on a low GI diet in a month.
>>
>>38487536
GI is a trolling scale
>have to eat 100 grams of nutrient to """study""" the effect
>eating 100 grams of caster sugar is easy
>try eating 100 grams of sugar in water melon, 6 grams per 100 gram means you have to eat 1.66kg of watermelon
Look up the insulin index OP, much more helpfull
>>
>>38487561
that broscience

>>38487536
high GI = insulin spike
insulin spike = glucose converts to fat tissue

while

low GI = no insulin
low levels of insulin for a few hours = body enters fat burn mode

it's actually more complicated than that, but that's the outline
>>
>>38487561
In terms of bodybuilding it has to do with insulin. Basically lots of carbs or simple sugars will spike your insulin. Insulin is responsible for storing things (fat/muscle).
>>
>>38487599
This pretty much

This guy explains it very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkwZIi3R7w
>>
>>38487599
Dumbass, you won't get fat as long as your total calories are in check
>>
File: 1469894292523.jpg (46KB, 568x479px) Image search: [Google]
1469894292523.jpg
46KB, 568x479px
>>38487636
>he still believes the "calories in calories out" meme
>>
>>38487636
look at >>38487619

or go read
>The Obesity Code - Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss - Jason Fung
>>
>>38487536
http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

Reminder that ice cream is a health food.
>>
>>38487636
If you can control your hormones you'll get better results. Thats why carb cycling works so well
>>
>>38487651
Show me evidence that it's false

Protip: you can't
>>
>>38487665
calories in and out works well for WEIGHT but carb cycling is best for fat loss
>>
>>38487777
quads of truth
>>
>>38487777
>calories in and out works well for WEIGHT

>WEIGHT
what weight nigger?
weight gain?
weight loss?
neither of the above

fucking pseudo science summerniggers
>>
>>38487536
People would probably lose weight on a diet that restricted the kinds of foods you can eat using GI because, quite frankly, you just need to look at what foods are high GI to figure out that they're generally high in calories and are shit for you. It's kind of like, "why do people lose weight when they to paleo?" The foods chosen are pretty good for you and are decently balanced compared to your average American cola and chili cheese, ice cream burrito-burger diet.

Combine reasonably healthy diet guidelines with a will to lose weight and you shouldn't be surprised when people successfully lose weight.
>>
>>38487599
>glucose converts to fat
That literally rarely ever happens

Fat gets converted to fat
>>
So, the calorie counting cut I'm doing right now isn't optimal?

Do I basically wanna try go long periods of time without eating carbs?
>>
>>38488119
trolling the post
>>
have you people ever stopped to think that as long as you eat less than you consume and eat what makes you feel happy and energized (generally low GI carbs) you could have be out there living life and having fun while simultaneously succesfully cutting instead of arguing on an image board which way of obtaining negative calorie balance is a tenth of a percent more effective than another?
>>
>tfw that's my goal body
>>
>>38488119
And that's why low-fat diets work so well! :^)
>>
>>38488144
Not even trolling im deadserious

Look up de novo lipogenesis. Storing carbs as fat is the most inefficient thing for the human body so its very hard to get fat off of carbs alone

The thing that makes you fat the easiest is fat itself. Storing fat is very inefficient and also the reason why you get 9kcals for a gram of fat.

The thing is you guys see stuff like donuts or chocolate as carb sources. These things are 50% fat. Thats why people eating these things are usually fat
>>
>>38488195
>fat is inefficient
Woops meant efficient
>>
I'm about to start 20/4 IF and I have high hopes.
Wouldn't IF produce the same benefits as looking at the GI of products, except it wouldn't be as tedious?
I'll just be going gym 5pm-6:30pm and then eat 1600 calories between 6:30 and 10:30. This gives long periods of time for the body to enter fat burning mode.
>>
>>38488195
>I do not know what I am talking about the post.
Go look up how insulin works and how the body processes fat.
>>
>tveye
Forever mirin
>>
>>38488331
Except that I do

Insulin can store carbs as fat but it rarely ever happens in the human body. Literally google De novo lipogenesis and you will read that its true
>>
>>38488182
>t. someone who has never tried a low fat diet
it works way better than a low carb diet, try it
>>
is there a database somewhere of the glycemic indexes of foods? i'm type 1 diabetic and it would be helpful
>>
>>38488296
i'm on something like this right now, it's usually more like 19/5, depends on a day. my feeding window starts at 10am, ends at 3pm. i work out at ~8am. right now i'm eating whatever, not really lean, just trying to instinctively stay under my maintenance intake. lifting can be pretty harsh, but i lost a good deal of fat already (dropped like 2 inches from waist in ~1,5 months)
>>
Yes and no.

High GI foods are usually associated with binge eating and if you're on a low carb diet or are dieting eating low GI foods can help with diet adherence.

For someone on a bulk it's less noticeable if at all.
>>
>>38488296
You must be the spookiest of skeletons
>>
>>38488729
>Insulin can store carbs as fat but it rarely ever happens in the human body

Summerfags being serious.
I cant decide if I should laugh or cry
>>
>>38489001
Im not that spooky at all, I just do very extreme cuts because "you'll burn off your muscle!!1" is a meme
>>
>>38489046
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24814684
>De novo lipogenesis (DNL) is a complex and highly regulated metabolic pathway. In normal conditions DNL converts excess carbohydrate into fatty acids that are then esterified to storage triacylglycerols (TGs). These TGs could later provide energy via β-oxidation. In human body this pathway is primarily active in liver and adipose tissue. However, it is considered to be a minor contributor to the serum lipid homeostasis
>However, it is considered to be a minor contributor to the serum lipid homeostasis
btfo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981
>It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans
btfo again

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6755166?dopt=Abstract
>These findings challenge the common perception that conversion of CHO to fat is an important pathway for the retention of dietary energy and for the accumulation of body fat
btfo once more

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839937?dopt=Abstract
>We close by speculating on potential functions of DNL in physiology and pathophysiology if storage of surplus carbohydrate energy is not an important function of DNL.
btfo once again

I could post more and btfo you into an oblivion
>>
>>38487536
Jesus dude what is your routine

This wasn't supposed to be a goal body thread
>>
>>38487665
go to >>38487619
>>
>>38489673
thats an old OLD picture.

/fit/ circa 2010
>>
>>38489358
people are brainwashed into thinking that carbs turns into fat, kek

it stores the fat you eat as body fat directly, the body is inefficient at converting stable forms like glucose (ring structure) too much work, unlike fat who don't get converted at all, it is stored directly.
>>
>>38489358
i'm not gonna believe this, because the TV told me otherwise.
>>
>>38491101
>>38491177
im relieved that not everyone is believes the lies they've told us

maybe I should make a thread about this
>>
>>38491276
/fit/ are a bunch of low IQ bro-scientists, when i try to show them the truth they chimp out.
try it.
>>
File: 1470437040748.jpg (678KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1470437040748.jpg
678KB, 1365x2048px
>>38487536
Hey OP, generally, don't try to overcomplicate nutrition. Aim for: minimum (your weight in KG *1,5)grams of protein per day. Find out your caloric needs with a calculator online, if you want to gain muscle -> eat at a surplus of 250-500 calories per day, if you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit of ~350 calories per day.

GI only changes how fast you get hungry again - bad carbs (sweets, etc.) make you hungry again very swiftly (but give you an energy "spike", good carbs (Wholewheat pasta, etc) satisfies your hunger for hours.

Consistency is key - cheating from time to time is okay, but slacking for weeks will fuck up your progress big time.

That said, who is this guy? What is his routine? His body shape somewhat resembles mine (him being far more muscular than me, of course). His body is quite literally my goal, anyone got a name?
>>
>>38491305
Make new thread pls
>>
>>38487536

lots of insulin = body starts storing fat.

fatties have increasingly higher level of insulin insensitivity, they will pack more fat as opposed to normal human beings if they try to do shit like have a staple diet of white bread, potato chips, pizzas and pasta.

Keto is not necessarily a meme, if you're fat it really does fucking work better, but if you're already at like 8-12% bodyfat and are NOT prepping for a contest then it's retarded.
>>
>>38491638
>lots of insulin = body starts storing fat.
>fatties have increasingly higher level of insulin insensitivity, they will pack more fat
these contradict eachother kek
>>
File: 4chan-cat-nose.jpg (33KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
4chan-cat-nose.jpg
33KB, 500x669px
>>38488010

who should I believe?

people with many decades of experience in olympias and bodybuilding contests, coaching for olympias and research and experiments on how the body works (dave palumbo/layne norton/chris aceto/ jerry brainum)

or you

some pajeet who reads bb.com forums and learned iifym/muh thermodynamnananamics/calories in calories out mcdonalds all day nigga

>he's gonna try using the appeal to authority meme lel
>>
>>38491674

do you know what happens when you are insulin insensitive you stupid fucking 30% bodyfat indian?

You are thinking the opposite of what it means.
>>
>>38487536
Holy shit you're hot
>>
>>38491711
how do you pack on fat if the body doesnt respond to insulin?
>>
>>38491779

INSULIN INSENSITIVITY DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T RESPOND TO INSULIN YOU STUPID FUCKING INDIAN
>>
just eat what you're supposed to and don't worry about all these fucking meme diets and glycemic index shit and insulin sensitivity shit

it's gonna be ok
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.