[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/ I'm a PhD student who works on making diagnostic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: yellow-dropper-testtubes[1].jpg (56KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
yellow-dropper-testtubes[1].jpg
56KB, 500x270px
Hey /fit/

I'm a PhD student who works on making diagnostic devices. I developed a platform that can detect low concentration molecules in an inexpensive way but am looking to expand the portfolio.

Is there anything you guys want to monitor for your fitness that you think is too difficult currently? Some biomarker you want to know but requires going to the hospital or a test that is out of your budget?

I can basically profile genes, proteins, cell markers, etc. Just let me know what it is you are interested in, and I will do a pubmed search to see there is some scientific evidence to make it feasible and maybe start building the assay; and I could probably do multiple assays at once too.
>>
basicly steroid hormones levels(test, estro, etc)
myostatin levels would be nice
and some markers for genes that involve athleticism

comes down to knowing the natty potential of your body when it comes to athletics, muscle growth, etc
>>
>>38462209
but there are already point of care tests for test... I think there are companies that are making them and have products ready.

Would you actually buy and use them? I'm not into commercializing yet since I only do research but I want to make sure my PhD is meaningful and has some level of practical use to it
>>
>>38462242
>Would you actually buy and use them?
if they were cheap and more readily available
>>
>>38462242
I would buy and use. There are some commercial DNA tests but they are expensive and from what I gather not very specific. Thinking of getting one anyway...

But yeah, any markers that could reveal potential or limits for lifting would be interesting for most /fit/izens.
>>
>>38462242
But other than that the only thing the general fitness guy would like to know is a way to detect tendon damage to prevent injuries, I guess collagen concentration in the blood specific to some areas? Not sure if they get broken down into the bloodstream when they get damaged
>>
>>38462313
great, I'll keep a list of all these ideas for future reference. thanks!
>>
>>38462133
this sounds pretty interesting, where are you doing your PhD?
>>
>>38462377
also maybe a way to detect overtraining by looking at muscle creatinine in the blood?

I'll keep posting ideas if I can come up with something
>>
File: 1470921476080.jpg (81KB, 844x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470921476080.jpg
81KB, 844x960px
>>38462242
this >>38462209
You can't get a hormone panel without a referral, which means you need a doctor. Thankfully there are online work arounds but it's still 70-300$ a test depending on which you get done.

If you could just come up with something that pricks ur thumb or w/e and gives a readout of ur test/free test/lipids/estro etc that would be fucking fantastic if not even just to help for a better understanding of average test levels are for men in this day and age as opposed to a haphazard scale that encompasses 10yr olds to 90yr old diabetic men.
>>
>>38462420
PhD in building a microfluidic device that can detect single biomarkers in a rapid and multiplexed manner. We miniaturizing assays that take days and require a lot of prep; I already have some great prelim data and some publications, and I want to move this from just a research tool that is published into something people can use.

I'm still early in my PhD so I have plenty of time to think of useful applications for my remainder of the time here

>>38462445
great, I can look into biomarkers for that too... I am keeping a doc with all your ideas.. maybe I'll post back in a year with results

>>38462461
That's exactly what I am envisioning. The main thing is that FDA usually requires high precision and high sensitivity, so the good thing is I can do that currently but not sure if it is the level to pass FDA standards. Test and other stuff you guys are not life threatening like HIV so the standards sound be lower anyways
>>
>>38462133
test levels... I'm a girll with a hormone disorder. everyone thinks I'm on roids but I'm just high test.
>>
>>38462836
>>>38462133 (OP)
>test levels... I'm a girll with a hormone disorder. everyone thinks I'm on roids but I'm just high test.
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>38462692
Also a way to detect nitrogen balance in the body to see if a person consumes sufficient protein would be great too
>>
>>38462133
A device that could detect through hair or saliva whether the origin of the sample has XX or XY in 5 minutes or less

PLS
>>
>>38463215
why do you want this...? and why is it hard to tell?

This can be done pretty easily lol
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.