[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is using the smith machine bad for barbell squats? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 2113_1274736033.jpg (59KB, 679x516px) Image search: [Google]
2113_1274736033.jpg
59KB, 679x516px
Why is using the smith machine bad for barbell squats?

I'm looking for real answers here, preferably with sources or visuals on what happens during a smith squat vs a freeweight squat.

What is the smith machine for if not for doing SS type exercises?
>>
your such a fucking idiot
>>
>smith machine
kys familia
>>
>>38433489
There are many, MANY issues with using the smith machine for squats, but one of the major ones is how the bar is fixed in a set path of motion.
This puts strain on things and encourages improper form.

TL;DR: Kill yourself for even asking
>>
File: smith_calf1.jpg (33KB, 467x443px) Image search: [Google]
smith_calf1.jpg
33KB, 467x443px
>>38433489

It's bad because ''SS exercises'' strenghten your core and stabilizer muscles.

The smith machine restricts the movement, in order to isolate a muscle, therefore ruining the purpose of SS
It also greatly diminishes risks on injury, so it would be acceptable for a total noob to start benching on a smith, or for someone that's working out with an injury

Personally, I only use the smith machine for picrelated, or for inclined bench (because of an injury)
>>
>>38433511
>giving actual reasons

did you even see the picture, you have ruined this thread
>>
>>38433511
This. Do a bodyweight squat right now. Your body moves in three dimensions, you're not fixed to any plane. When you force yourself into a fixed motion, you're begging to fuck your muscles up
>>
File: Tua3u0L[1].png (165KB, 777x656px) Image search: [Google]
Tua3u0L[1].png
165KB, 777x656px
>>38433527
>>
File: 1311763499070.jpg (16KB, 300x354px) Image search: [Google]
1311763499070.jpg
16KB, 300x354px
>>38433489
Fine. I'll take the bait, but for the purposes of this answer I'm going to assume you're serious and if I'm assuming you're serious that means you are, in fact, a retard. I'm surprised you can squat at all when you spend most of that energy lugging around an extra chromosome.

The reason why free-weight squats are better (or rather why free-weight exercises are always superior to the smith-machine) is that you are working harder against gravity to support the weight.

The weight on a smith machine is supported by rails. This means you need to use less muscles to support it. You are activating more muscles when using a barbell than when using the fucking smith machine.

Plus, you'll activate more of your stabilizing muscles which are vital so you don't develop muscles disproportionally. Now, you will still need to use dumbells as well but you won't activate shit with your stupid smith machine exercises.

There's a fucking reason no one does squats on the smith machine. You have discovered some miracle life hack. You're just a lazy dipshit who doesn't want to put in real effort and who wants to feel like he can squat 1pl8 when in reality, he can't even squat the fucking bar.

Fuck off and never post here again.
>>
>>38433489
The squat (and all other barbell exercises) is simply a normal human movement pattern under load.

Squatting with a barbell puts you in a situation where you can potentially become unbalanced. You therefore have to not only learn to exert force against the bar, but to do so IN BALANCE. This means that it's not just the primary mover (e.g the legs and hip girdle) that receive a training effect, but also the muscles that work isometrically to stop your ass falling over (your abs, obliques, lats, and to a lesser extent shoulders and arms.)

The smith machine not only removes that balance component, it forces you to move through a different movement pattern to the one you would naturally assume on the actual version of the exercise. A 'squat' and a 'squat in the smith machine' are therefore two completely different things.

Plus, anyone who uses the smith machine could only be more of a pussy if they actually had someone's dick in them while doing it.
>>
File: 877800470.png (331KB, 631x480px) Image search: [Google]
877800470.png
331KB, 631x480px
>>38433511
>>38433523
>>38433541
>>38433614

Well, this certainly has been a hot button topic to discuss.

Thank you saving a new guy from bothering to even look at a smith machine with your detailed answers, even if they were roared out between frothing mouthfuls of protein powder.

Cheers.
>>
>>38433489
Just think logically about the way the smith machine restricts all the degrees of freedom from 6 (up, down, left, right, back, forth) to 2 (up, down) for your muscles to stabilise.

Now let's think about which of the two will tax your nervous system and your muscles more.

Thought about it? Good. You should now have reached the conclusion that you're a dumbass for even asking.
>>
>>38433534
kek
>>
>>38433717
Now pay us back by being less retarded.
>>
>>38433848
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IcGZZnC1k
>>
>>38433489

The smithmachine is completely shit and even dangerous becasue it uses a fixed barpath.

Basically you leave out a lot of core and stabilizing muscle mass which you barely train with the smithmachine. A real squat is a full body exercise, a smith machine is not.
This can lead to imbalances in your muscular development and it completely limits athletic development of your body.
You might get big quads from a smith machine, but thats literally all you get.

You are also at risk of injury using the shit machine. Everyone has different bodyproportions and their squat form is different. But on the smith machine you force one single "squat" movement on your body. You can fuck up your knees and back very easily this way, because you are not using a natural for your bodytype correct movement pattern.

tl;dr: the smithmachine is shit and you should kill yourself if you really consider using it
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.