[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ tell me about what martial are the most practical. Martial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 13

File: krav-all-hero.jpg (257KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
krav-all-hero.jpg
257KB, 1500x1001px
/fit/ tell me about what martial are the most practical.
Martial arts and self defense thread.
>>
judo, wrestling,jiu jitsu, muay thai, boxing
>>
File: hitler-youth-haircut.jpg (46KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
hitler-youth-haircut.jpg
46KB, 736x552px
>>38264396
Krav maga cause it teaches you fight dirty. If you are looking to learn how to win fair fight I would recommend kick boxing.
>>
>>38264396
Boxing or wrestling should be good enough if youre in a country with good gyms
>>
>>38264485
problem is i am not and honestly i am more interested in learning on my own
>>
>>38264396
Boxing to start for sure. If you hold your own boxing you have no business fighting in the street.
>>
>>38264396
Boxing for brawling
Judo for throwing (and chokes/disarms)
Wrestling might also be okay depending on your level but Judo is simply better due to teaching quality
Learn Savate's front kick

Anything else is stupid. Krav Maga courses are bullshit because they don't actually teach Krav Maga. BJJ is retarded because groundwork is literally asking for a reenaction of American History X's curb-stomp scene. Chokes are risky because the guy can simply stab your liver or spleen during those. Any kick higher than waistline is a throwdown call.

Source: Grew up in Middle East as a white kid. They don't like us there.
>>
>>38264525
where are you from?
pretty sure every country has some sort of martial art they excell in
>>
>>38264396
Buy gun ez
>>
>>38264566

krav maga. Not meming.

Shit is insane
>>
>>38264566
This.
>>
>>38264558
i live in Bulgaria in a small town we only have a karate school were they dont teach you anything unless you are 5 years in the school and also there is a boxing gym but its fucking overcrowded with normie dumbfucks so i want to learn some martial art or a combination without going to any gym or anything like that.
>>
Krav Maga.
>>
>>38264585
not everybody lives in a country that you can get shot by niggers
>>
Side question: what's the best if you want to do competitions?
>>
>>38264691
Any you plan on sticking with and putting enough effort in to be able to compete you fucking mong
>>
>>38264691
What do you mean? For MMA? Learn MMA but don't go to meme ufc gyms. Some are great and many are shittaacular.

Overall? I enjoy watching and training boxing. But thats me. Most would disagree with me.
>>
>>38264703
Yes. I was a runner in college and continued for a few years after, but had to give it up a few months ago because of reoccurring plantar fasciitis. I'm looking for a new sport that affords the opportunity to compete.
>>
>>38264764
Boxing. You have numerous amateur tourneys.
>>
Muay Thai. Trust me.
Boxing and normal kickboxing is alright too.
>>
>>38264396
A mix of just about everything is the best bet. Judo, boxing, jiu jitsu etc so that you have a wide breadth of fundamentals. The cherry on top though, is a program that incorporates practical and realistic force on force training.

A lot of martial arts shit flies out the window when a guy has a solid grip on your clothes or is already up in your business before you can gather your ki or whatever. A nice safe controlled ass kicking does wonders for your confidence in a fight.
>>
>>38265921
>Gather your ki
Beautiful.
>>
Half the people in threads like these say "Krav Maga". The other half say that Krav Maga is absolute shit. Which way is it? People seem to either love it or hate it...
>>
>>38264396
For street fights, MT. You don't wanna go do roll and touch butt BJJ in the streets. Judo is pure shit because no kimono and is generally homosex martial art. Boxing works.
>>
File: 1386023281154.jpg (37KB, 568x422px) Image search: [Google]
1386023281154.jpg
37KB, 568x422px
>>38265978
Seriously though, if you're looking at martial arts for a defensive purpose the one thing that's missing from most programs is serious pressure testing. People need a good booster shot of that "Holy fuck I'm going to die" feeling.

Good luck trying to throw a dragon punch or get to your thousand dollar ninja knife when two dudes are kicking the shit out of you, and the one turning your ribs into mush from behind decides to hook your legs and dump you on your fucking head.
>>
>>38264453
What are you trolling? In the real world there is no fair fight, there is nonody that will call foul if you throw a dirty kick. In the real world you want to end the fight as soon as it starts. Not last 3 rounds.
>>
Krav maga. You will be able to end the fight as soon as it starts.
>>
>>38265994
The people who say its good are baiting the people who say its bad.
>>
>>38266252
Right. So I'm just gonna pop over to Something Awful and ask them, because the meme-countermeme-progression on 4chan is getting to meta for me. I don't even know if anyone is ever trolling or not. Is SS a meme? Is "SS is a meme" a meme? Is "SS is a meme is a meme" a meme? How deep does the fucken rabbit hole go?
>>
>>38266336
Right. So I'm just gonna pop over to Something Awful and ask them, because the meme-countermeme-progression on 4chan is getting to meta for me. I don't even know if anyone is ever trolling or not. Is SS a meme? Is "SS is a meme" a meme? Is "SS is a meme is a meme" a meme? How deep does the fucken rabbit hole go? is a meme

also doing krav maga will make you better at fighting than most of the people you come across, even if it isn't as good as others.
>>
>>38266354
>Right. So I'm just gonna pop over to Something Awful and ask them, because the meme-countermeme-progression on 4chan is getting to meta for me. I don't even know if anyone is ever trolling or not. Is SS a meme? Is "SS is a meme" a meme? Is "SS is a meme is a meme" a meme? How deep does the fucken rabbit hole go? is a meme

Oh, God... I didn't even mean to meme...
>>
>>38264396
Having a concealed carry permit.
Let's me avoid having to train the fedora of the fitness world aka marshull awts
>>
>>38266211
>What are you trolling?
The person you responded to recommended it because it teaches dirty fighting. It's like you don't even realize you agree.
>>
>>38264453
Krav maga is basically just kicking your opponent in the balls
>>
>>38266484
You also punch them in the balls senpai, don't strawman a whole combat system.
>>
Boxing und Wrestling.
>>
>>38265994
Krav maga is just a shitty demo martial art that shows you how to deal with somebody attacking you with a knife really slowly by kicking him in the balls which he conveniently covered
>>
Buy a gun
>>
>>38267791
Didn't cover i means
>>
>>38264551
Bane?
>>
>>38264453
Krav Maga is literally Jewish

in that

it's literally Jewish

and you're falling for a literal Jewish trick if you think it's worth learning
>>
>>38267882
it's basically a bad copy of Jeet Kung Do
>>
Sambo has a decent combo of different grappling arts
>>
>>38267882
But yell won't say that to their faces would you bitch nigga. Please go fuck with Israel and watch what happens to your silly ass.

Hate them cause you ain't them....
>>
File: 1467674015664.png (107KB, 848x479px) Image search: [Google]
1467674015664.png
107KB, 848x479px
>>38264396
>>
>>38267970
>20% of everything
>relevant
>>
>>38264643
> normie dumbfucks

No one that fights is a normie dumbfuck. Normal people typically wanna avoid getting hit not go do it for fun. You sound like a pussy.

No one learns how to fight without taking there lumps first. Pull your balls out and hit the boxing gym.
>>
>>38264643
пoчвaш MMA дa блъcкaш и твa e. имa и cилoви тpeниpoвки и нямa дa гyбиш мaca ;)
>>
>>38267841
Fucking THIIIIIS
>>
>>38264419

Judo? Really? It's a points sport and that's it.
>>
>>38267970
Real numbers:
10% weight room
80% working technique weaknesses
10% sparring
>>
>>38268162
This year it became popular in my town to be a boxer so literally every normie goes there most of the time doing nothing but taking pictures for facebook but still the gyms are flooded as shit.
>>
Kyokushin Karate is a pretty legit style. When they compete, they go full contact without wearing any pads. Training involves really intense bodyweight/calisthenics workouts and stretches, and full contact sparring, albeit with gloves and shin guards. The dojo I used to go to even had a weight room on the side.

The main drawback of Kyokushin is that they don't practice punches to the face for some reason, which can lead to you developing really bad habits. Furthermore, they don't teach very many grapples, but it's kind of justified, considering that it's a striking art.
>>
>>38268265
e твa e , блaгoдapя xD
>>
File: pain.gif (963KB, 245x275px) Image search: [Google]
pain.gif
963KB, 245x275px
>tfw i'm going to get my ass kicked by a lanklet any day now
>tfw i told this guy in our skype group that he looks like "lurch with AIDS" and someone else in the skype group told him where i live
>tfw turns out we live in the same city and use the same subway stop
>tfw he said he's going to kick my ass
>tfw i'm /fit/ but 5'6" and he's like 6'7" or something
>>
>>38267961
Yeah to be honest I really do wish I was a levantine state sometimes
>>
>>38268495
fight dirty

use your elbows

just don't accidentally kill him
>>
File: manlet.jpg (34KB, 401x511px) Image search: [Google]
manlet.jpg
34KB, 401x511px
>>38268495
>>
>>38268525

elbows aren't even dirty.
>>
>>38268547
t. nignog or irish
>>
>>38264551
Judo has the shittiest teaching quality around. Wrestling is taught in a much more difficult manner in the US and isn't run like a fucking daycare. You'll learn to be able to defend yourself adequately if you wrestle tirelessly.
>>
any thoughts on jiu jitsu?
>>
>>38264396
boxing and I guess muay thai

grappling and kicking doesnt work on the streets, krav maga is jewish garbo, try disarming a knife wielding guy and see where you end up
>>
>>38268495
Get in close. Avoid his reach
>>
>>38268495
the trick to fighting taller people is getting in, they wont have the ROM to properly punch and you'll wreck their livers and stomach

being in distance with someone taller than you is asking to get fucked in the ass
>>
>>38266484
also eye gouging
>>
Krav maga
>>
>>38264396
It depends on what you want, combat oriented martial arts arent the best for self defense since they're meant for combat. Combat suggests offensive ability which isnt good self defense since you have to deal with legal limitations. The armed forces martial arts are about teaching a willingness to fight and attack the enemy, that attitude can get you sent to jail in civilian life.
>>
>>38270948
What happens when you punch someone and knock him out?
Are you fucked if he goes to the police?

This is what scares me, some cunts next to my business are disgusting, filthy people and I've only hold up on beating the fuck out of them due to fear of having to pay them a big fine or something, even worse if I broke their jaw or teeth
>>
>>38268525
The only person to mention elbows out of many posts. Jesus christ /fit/

elbows, the equalizer among st men... Of a reasonable size differential.

But a good firm elbow to the nignog will ring anyone to bedtime ez.
>>
>>38264551
>because the guy in American history x knew jiu jitsu
>>
>>38270980
Yeah that could be felony assault bud. You legit can get like 5 years in prison for violently attacking someone like that.
>>
>>38271040
I guess punching a liver would be less problematic but oh well, better just suck it up or track their routines and hit & run
>>
>>38270980
If they escalate things and will not descalate and they get too close to you, fuck him up. "He was nearly immediately upon me and displayed Hostile intent officer, that is all I will say until I see a lawyer." or say nothing at all and just talk to a lawyer, probably even better. I'm not a legal rep.
>>
>>38270980

dont swing first and u can probably claim self defense m80
>>
>>38270158
It's the shit. Mixes with your fitness routine well, and there's a lot of sparring against a resisting opponent which is essential. Boxing or MT is good to help cover the basics of distance management
>>
>>38271060
Yeah it doesn't matter where you hit them. An unprovoked physical attack on someone is very serious business they'll most likely throw the book at you and make you into an example in he court system.
>>
I'm doing heavy compounds and only a few acessories(due to boxing, I even only do OHP for shoulders) on Monday, Wednsday and Saturday.
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I have box

how do I fit into it running without burning out? I've been cutting and I've got like a month or two tops left so I guess it'll be easier once I lean bulk
>>
>>38271028
>being this retarded
>>
>>38271106
Do it right when you wake up. Burn some stored fat and gets your day started great. I have the best days at work and working out when I run at 5am
>>
>>38271144
Doesn't go along with my schedule

I was thinking, maybe after lifting?
also should I plan something or just run until I'm tired and then try to beat that time and try to run for a longer time next time?
>>
don't fight people in the street.

that said if you were going to, muay thai for striking, wrestling/submission wrestling or bjj for grappling.

i wouldn't take a street fight to the ground but if it does go there at least you'd know how to defend yourself, from one assailant, anyway.

muay thai literally makes your body into a weapon. even without the kicks, you have elbows and knees. i mean if you legitmately got a street tough into a clinch and start throwing knees and he didn't have a knife or something, he would be absolutely fucked.

truly though if you practice a striking art for 3+ times a week for a couple years, it doesn't matter the art. you'll fuck an untrained fighter up. i like muay thai because you can launch an attack from almost any angle. but shit if you only boxed for a couple years, you'd only need your hands to win a street fight.
>>
>>38271318
From what I've seen from muay thai guys trying out boxing is that they dont guard their livers and chins nor throw punches very well

any combat martial art will make you shit on someone untrained, not only you learn how to properly punch but you also learn how to get hit and how it feels
I'll never forget the first punch I got to the liver kek
or when I was worn out and let my guard for just a bit and got a straight punch to my nose which surprisingly wasn't much painful but It left me a bit dizzy for two seconds or so
>>
>>38264396
2-3 years of wrestling or a purple belt in jiu jitsu, then switch over to a striking art preferably boxing or muay thai until you git gud.

TeamUSA page for boxing or wrestling list clubs in your area. Jiu jitsu is expensive, but you only really need a purple belt to wreck people so don't worry, gracie gyms are always good but extra expensive you'll have to do some googling to find a good decently priced gym. Same for Muay Thai no real organization keeping quality up. Just check for gyms and look for ones that are related to either a good gym in the country of origin or that explicitly taught by big names, quite a bit of googling but worth it.
>>
>>38271181
No set mile goals. Start with 2. Run 1 then walk it off for a lil bit stretch and run another and every week or other day add like 10% extra in your run.

You can't box until you get tired. If you do you lose the match by tko or quit on your stool. You neeeeeed endurance and stamina. Do you jump rope?
>>
>>38271544
guess I'll try running until I can no longer do it to check how much I can last

I jump rope, how boxes and doesnt?
>>
>>38268385
Judo will teach you to throw people twice your size into the ground. You can easily kill someone by throwing them onto concrete.
>>
>>38268385
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs
>>
>>38268385
Hardly "points" sport
Yeah you can get a yuuko or waza ari and "stall"
But you would know that stalling will result in penalties.
If you can throw for ippon in a match, you can easily toss a drunk motherfucker looking for a fight onto the group
>>
>>38268385
>Judo is a point sport and that's it
Nigga do you even know what judo is
>>
>>38268495
Don't knock him out by punching his face, not that you could even reach. From what I read, you can kill a dude with a punch to the face. Or he could die by knocking out and falling bad on the concrete. Kick him in the balls and work on his body. Don't curbstomp him. Stomp his legs.
>>
>>38271655
Just making sure brah you'll be surprised. But running is essential.
>>
>>38271659
Do you know how hard it is to kill someone with your bare hands? Y'all niggas dumb falling for memes and shit.
>>
>>38271356
yes the way we throw punches is relatively sloppy.

i would not want to straight up box a trained boxer using only muay thai punches. depending on the gym, you might learn better punching technique, etc., but part of it is the MT stance which is meant to defend kicks to the head and ribs/sides/liver/etc. whereas in boxing the first stance i learned was that defensive tank-like stance where you can really put your weight behind your jab. in muay thai you're standing almost straight up and the jab is more of heavy snap. it's sloppy boxing.

muay thai is very defensive stance wise because you're basically constantly trading and countering. at the very least in muay thai you'll learn that if you get kicked in the liver that you can grab their leg and kick their other leg out.
>>
>>38271935
to add on to this if i could really build up my striking, i would train western boxing for a year or two, THEN switch to muay thai. a lot of elements of boxing (the way boxers use jabs to sort of gauge distance and the opponent and their footwork/mobility) is awesome, even in muay thai. of course in MT instead of jabbing you can just push kick them.
>>
>>38264396
Don't live in a shithole jitsu
Don't be a cunt fu
Parkour
Boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling

>in after krabby magoo and assorted memes
>>
File: 531284090.jpg (293KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
531284090.jpg
293KB, 1024x683px
>>38264453
>crab manga
fuck off shill
>>
>>38264573
why is there so much hate for KM?
are the US gyms so shitty that they ruin it for everybody? When I trained in israel it was great, very practical, exhausting workouts.
>>
>>38271935
It honestly depends on the coach, mine doesn't like traditional stances like being straight up and just trading kicks to eventually go into a clinch. He uses a lot of movement, sort of hard to catch, putting power into kicks and punches, guarding well enough too
>>
Freestyle wrestling is GOAT. BJJ is a meme.
>>
>>38271086
thanks. i consider doing that shit, mainly for training, as my balance isn´t the best and i like to work on my agility; and i don´t want to do a nigga tier sport like kickboxing
>>
>>38271864
Snapping someone's neck is as easy as opening a jar of pickles
>>
>>38273817
There is so much hate for KM bc so many people realise they play a sport called martial arts that is incredibly inferior to a real world fighting system like KM so they bag it without ever attending a single class. Not one cunt here who says its shit has EVER done it. They just repeat what the local black belt tells them to say before they get their yellow tip on grading day. Plus the USA have so many shitty off shoots of real KM that they all think it's he same thing.
>>
>>38267882
so what you fucking aspie
>>
File: 1469992664338.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469992664338.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>38264396

Whatever Steven Seagal uses
>>
>>38264525
You will never learn a martial art on your own
>>
>>38264453
Krav Maga appeals to me for a few reasons.

1. I originally found it because a mate was trying to get me into ju-jitsu, but I can't STAND the thought of having to touch someone's disgusting bare feet. Turns out krav maga is literally the only "martial art" you don't train barefoot.

2. It technically isn't a martial art. As >>38266484 said, it's dirty. I fucking hate this ridiculous idea of "honor" or "fighting clean" or "fight like a man". Fuck that shit. Any alpha male with a vague thread of intelligence does whatever he can to defeat his opponent. Krav maga is basically teaching you what to do if you don't have a weapon for some reason, and how to get the weapon off the other person. Excellent stuff.

3. It was invented by Jews. Like they literally said "lets not let THAT happen again".
>>
>>38275525
KRab magoo is literally LARP.

Have fun with that.

Boxing uses shoes
Wrestling uses shoes
Savate uses shoes

Do some research you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>38268385
Yeah, Judo fucking sucks and it's incredibly overrated by armchair martial artists, it' is about as effective as Capoeira in the octagon
>>
>>38275234
My problem with krav maga is that most things in it are impractical and require people you fight to be extremely stupid and let their guard down in big fucking ways people never do like slowly overhead stabbing you with a knife so you can counter it like in batman or something
>>
http://www.bullshitexposed.com/krav-maga-is-bullshit/ Bam crab manga fags
>>
>>38275591

I don't see how trips and tosses are impractical.
>>
File: olympics_naked.jpg (96KB, 600x280px) Image search: [Google]
olympics_naked.jpg
96KB, 600x280px
Greco-Roman wrestling.
>>
>>38275652
Coz you will cop about 20 punches to the face before you get to the point of using them.
>>
>>38275652
80% of the shit is only possible in a gee. If you want to get good at throwing people around, you should train wrestling not Judo. Wrestling is the number one base martial art for fighting in the octagon. People with judo as a base usually get fucking ruined, like Ronda Rousey.
But feel free to waster your time if you want to
>>
>>38275663
there there let me oil up your anus for you big boi bc you know im gonna git that rear mount
>>
>>38264396
Learn the basics of muy thai, boxing, wrestling, and BJJ. Boxing and wrestling will have the commoner set.

Whats actually important is actually fighting. That where you really learn to fight.
>>
>>38270289
When being taught in any martial art about disarming a knife wielding attacker they straight up tell you that you are going to be cut and to use the outside of your forearm to take the hit as to avoid serious damage

>>38264396 all martial arts are practical for their created purpose find the one that suits your personal preferences just try not to be Billy's badass also training and drills teach u reflexes not how to fight I even if your a black belt doesn't mean your a fighter it means you have learned a skill talent&straining>talent>training. Some people aren't made for fighting that's all there is to it

Source? Brown belt in karate blue in jui jitsu
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 600x460px
>>38276126
>Billy's badass
>>
>>38276212
Auto correct s s sorry? Don't hurt my e ego? Doesn't change the validity of what I stated
>>
Rex Kwon Do
>>
MMA is probably the most complete martial art out there.

But if all you want to do is just manage on the streets then any martial art is good enough, you'll be fighting against guys that never trained so wether you're using judo, boxing or kung fu, you still have the advantage.

Just make sure you practice sparring fairly often, and don't do Krav Maga.
>>
>>38276311
t. Billy
>>
>>38276311
No, it doesn't, it just makes it funnier
>>
>>38275704
You're actually a retard
t. successfully ogoshi'd a dude in no gi with 16oz gloves on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswoANsba_w
>>
>>38264396
is tai chi good for health
>>
I could take out 99% of you with martial arts training with pepper spray
>>
>>38276599
That's like saying you can win a fist fight with a gun
>>
>>38276599
Maximum autism ape tier

This thread is for whites only
>>
>>38275591
works terribly for Rousey
>>
>>38264396
>pipe bomb.
also, if you aim to stab someone stab in the gut.
but have the sharp of the blade point up.
that way, if you get blocked you can pull back the knife and cut the arms of your oponent
>>
>>38264396
Shooting range.
>>
>>38275275
>aikido
>>
>>38276498
If you try doing that to an average wrestler you are going to get fucking ruined.
>>
>>38270158
Done it for a year and a half now, and it's fucking great. Krav Maga might be better for self defense, but I've never tried that.

- it's meant to be self-defense, not a competition sport, so you aren't limited to techniques that are permitted by the rules
- you learn how to fall without hurting yourself, and unlike with judo you don't assume that you'll always fall on mats. Very useful skill even if you never have to use anything else.

- includes some judo throws so you learn those at well. I'm 50kg and have zero issues throwing a guy twice my weight with a certain throw, it doesn't even feel strenuous

- most of the time you use arm, wrist and/or shoulder levers. Not that easy to learn, but once you get them right they're pretty effective and painful when used on you. Had a girl at practice accidentally break another girl's arm because they weren't careful enough.

- includes ways to defend yourself against a gun or a knife. Usefulness is obviously limited - they are meant for desperate situations when you have no other options and you'll probably still get hurt, but I'd rather have cuts on my arms than a knife in my stomach.

>>38264643
You aren't going to learn martial arts without a partner AND someone showing you. Find a gym or don't bother.
>>
>>38271864
It's not difficult. I could kill a person who has 20 lbs on me if they have no BJJ experience.
>>
>>38277437
What percentage of the population is an 'average wrestler'? Think I'll take that <1% chance.
>>
>>38277940
Kek no you can't
>>
File: 1451264561670.jpg (270KB, 669x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1451264561670.jpg
270KB, 669x1001px
>>38267961
If Israel was cut off from their reparation payments they would literally all starve. Israel is full of the most useless people to ever walk this earth.
>>
>>38271864
You are retarded, killing someone with your bare hands is easy. Punch him in the throat/head until dead, suffocate until dead, those are the ways for a normal person to do it. If you know basic grappling its real easy killing someone, you can choke out a normie in a matter of minutes, because they dont know how or what they should defend. Take the back and its over for them.
>>
>>38277955
>he doesn't know how easy it is to take someone's back that doesn't have bjj experience

Lol m8. Rnc and your life is in my hands
>>
>>38277955
Yes, I regularly put people 20lbs heavier in kimuras and armbars on a regular basis. That easily transitions into me breaking their arm. After I break their arm, how do they defend themselves?
>>
File: gIjCUP9.jpg (315KB, 1632x1424px) Image search: [Google]
gIjCUP9.jpg
315KB, 1632x1424px
>learning martial arts for self defense

Nothing beats a well placed pipe bomb, anon.

Seriously though, getting good enough at a martial art to be competent in a street fight is not worth the effort. You're better off with just keeping a weapon or pepper spray on you. Learn to fight for the athleticism and the discipline, not for some bullshit, ego-fueled desire to win bar brawls.

If you really want to have a 'practical' knowledge of martial arts, you generally have to crosstrain anyway. Old /asp/ would be good place to go to if you want to discuss that shit, but that place is full of pro-wrestling nerds now. However, the usual non-bullshit styles are generally boxing, muay thai and kickboxing, with judo, bjj and wrestling for grappling (sambo if you can find a good gym). Don't fall for shitty clubs and retarded ancient asian styles.
>>
>>38278168
>Seriously though, getting good enough at a martial art to be competent in a street fight is not worth the effort.
u wot m8 ? even a begginer can hold his own in a street fight. As long as you dont train at some shitty mcdojo you'll be better than the average guy in a matter of weeks.

Not related but where did all the guys from /asp/ go ?
>>
>>38264396
Boxing or Muay Thai?

Which is more practical?

Which is more technical/harder to learn?
>>
>>38278515
being better than the average guy doesn't always mean you'll win a fight though. There's a fuckton of variables in street fights- you never know when someone's gonna pull out a knife, or have their friends show up, not to mention it's tough to beat someone larger and stronger than you even if you are trained.

Some of us migrated to sherdog, others moved to different boards like /fit/, and even the /wsg/ martial arts thread. Some are still holding strong in /asp/, despite being swamped by the deluge of /wre/ shitposters and ironic kungfu/ninjutsu threads. The grappling general managed to survive for a long time, so maybe the old community isn't completely wiped out yet.
>>
>>38268534
Struve is a giant nobody and MM is a P4P best.
>>
>>38278518
the most practical is boxing, just punching and dodging is probably the most effective way to fight in a "street fight".
most technical is MT, several different ways to strike, punches, kicks, elbows and knees along with some grappling(only standing, no ground work).
>>
>>38278636
>being better than the average guy doesn't always mean you'll win a fight though. There's a fuckton of variables in street fights- you never know when someone's gonna pull out a knife, or have their friends show up, not to mention it's tough to beat someone larger and stronger than you even if you are trained.

Well yeah, and understanding those variables is part of martial arts too.

Anyway I've never seen or fought someone on the street that even compares to a trained martial artist. Most people don't know shit about fighting.
>>
>>38278755
most martial arts don't prep you for multiple or armed attackers. Martial arts is a sport, anon, don't get it confused with street fighting. Of course knowing how to fight is an advantage, but using tools that are designed for self defense is far more efficient. It's 20 bucks for a can of pepper spray, and that will stop an attacker just as well as a hook or a kick to the liver. Don't dedicate time and money into martial arts if all you want is protection, see it more as an added benefit for participating in an enjoyable and active hobby.
>>
>>38278025
>>38278036
>>38278040
Kek no faggots. bjj is a meme
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.