[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/ I'm an incoming college freshman, 18 years old,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Hey /fit/

I'm an incoming college freshman, 18 years old, and I plan on playing rugby at my college's pretty competitive club. I'm new to the sport, and I was looking for some help.

My current stats are:
6 foot, 225
325 bench
squat - low 5s low bar, only 455 high bar
deadlift - planning on hitting 600 in the next week or two (i have long ass arms)
military - 205 highest max, maybe good for 5 or 10 pounds more now

My lifts are pretty strong but I feel as if I dont have athletic strength as I didnt play any sports in high school and pretty much just focused on lifting. What can I do to improve my athleticism? as I feel kids that played football in high school will be lightyears ahead of me in that category even if I can outlift them. Also, would you say high bar squats or low bar squats are more specific to rugby?

thanks
>>
>>38154800
>competitive club
>noob

not fucking likely. sports are a skill. you're going to hurt yourself with your raw strength and complete lack of field skill. spend the rest of the summer learning how to run and fall and change direction without tearing the shit out of your knees and ankles and shoulders.
>>
>how can I become better at sports by moving a bar up and down

Google agility drills and do those. Time yourself. Sprint. Mobility work.
>>
>>38154800
>I'm new to the sport
>I plan on playing rugby at my college's pretty competitive club

yeah ok good luck.
>>
>>38154800
Practice polymetrics, sprint drills with some moderate endurance (2.4km at a good pace).
Rope skipping and other agility exercises like side stepping, agility ladders, etc.

Funny enough I would also consider some martial arts classes like judo or karate. You're ganna need to learn how to take a fall.
>>
if youre as strong as they say you are they should make you a forward or a prop, you might wanna put a bit more weight on, you should be at least 110kg at your height to play those positions just to have a decent weight behind your tackles. try and get your tackling form spot on, you only need basic footy skills to be a forward or a prop
>>
>>38154800

75kg bw, 135kg bench, 225kg squat, 225kg deadlift before my injury.

And I am 6'1, how fat are you OP?
>>
>>38154800
Continued>>38155072

Your lifts are pretty damn good, but if you really want to excel at rugby you will have to cut back on PR's and 1RM. You should continue doing said exercises, but taper down to 65-75% of your 1rm in season. You can go back to 80-90% 1rm during off season.

Usually the idea for sports training is to focus on improving your specific game during the season, that means a lot of explosive cardio and little to no lifting.

During off season that's when you try to maintain muscle mass, and try to fix whatever weakness you had in your games. I'll see if I can find my old rugby training program, maybe that'll give you an idea.
>>
>>38155072
>>38155147
>>38155094
thank you! useful advice, I'll begin to work on footwork using the methods you suggested as well as work on my tackling form. i appreciate it
>>38155121
I mean I have visible unflexed abs so I wouldnt say that fat...? I mean congrats on your lifts but my goal has never been to be get strong while remaining as skinny as possible, its important to me to build muscle
>>
>>38154800
>american rugby
>competitive
Top kek
>>
If you have those stats and aren't lying I wouldn't worry about it.
Sports are more about endurance and performance and shit. Do you suck at rugby?
If you suck at rugby practice things in the sport
you're pretty autistic for thinking your lifts are what's the problem here
get good at the sport
>>
>>38154800
Look up a workout routine designed for rugby players.
>>
>>38154880
mate do you know what rugby fucking entails
>>
>>38155520
He's an americuck, of course he doesn't.
>>
>>38154800
stop worrying about your lifts, start worrying about your endurance and skills.
>>
>>38155121
You could stand to gain about 10kg
>>
>>38154800
In rugby size and strength only go as far as you can run, you should also train with a cardio split based on endurance one day, foot work/HIIT based drills the next.
>>
>>38155606
thank you, will definitely implement that as well
>>
They'll probably put you in as a prop and ask you to put on some more weight.

If you have a knack and learn very quickly they'll eventually use you as a hooker.

And high bar squats every time.
>>
>>38155121
are you shredded as fuck or just dyel mode
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.