[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ I've reached a point in my life in which one thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1468692685457.jpg (117KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468692685457.jpg
117KB, 960x960px
/fit/ I've reached a point in my life in which one thing is bugging me and seriously hindering my self-content and potential to live the life I want to live.

I like to think of myself as a relatively successful and well adjusted person. I've been lifting for a few years and have achieved a respectable physique, I have a close social circle of friends I know I can always rely on, and I have a house/job/am studying in the field I want to pursue a career in.

Despite being content with so many aspects of my life, I nonetheless succumb to fear, doubt, and waves of apprehension in certain social situations, especially those in which a woman I'm interested in/attracted to is present.

Now I don't mean to say I have no social skills. I know that at times I can be charming and charismatic, and I've had serious romantic relationships in the past and have had various friends with benefits type situations over the years, all of which I've been the one to finish. Regardless of these experiences, I still manage to become a bumbling shadow of myself at my best when push comes to shove and I'm thrown into an uncomfortable social setting or when I become the center of a large groups' attention.

It feels as though I crumble under the pressure and become an awkward teenager again.

Confidence is an extremely powerful trait/skill/talent, whatever you like to call it, and I'm curious as to how /fit/ believes it can best be developed and made stable.

I've read about 'getting into state' and self affirmations and multiple other means of improving confidence throughout the internet. Have any of you guys found tools or exercises that have allowed you to improve your confidence, enhance your potential, and be the best version of yourself as you can be consistently?

Please post any resources or ideas you have regarding the development of confidence here. Hopefully we can all take something away from this thread.
>>
File: tumblr_nydwtcNL571qgc3ewo1_1280.png (559KB, 866x419px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nydwtcNL571qgc3ewo1_1280.png
559KB, 866x419px
>>38108145

To start it off here is a tool that I've used in the past to overcome anxiousness during public speaking events.
>sit down and visualise yourself having completed whatever it is that is causing you anxiety
>take time to feel the emotions associated with completion/conquering this task, and assume that you've done an amazing job
>watching yourself in the third person, begin to rewind from this moment of completion throughout the process of completing the task
>think quickly, speeding through the process back to the present moment in which you feel the anxiety
>repeat this rewinding visualisation two more times, each time slower than the last

Whenever I've done this my anxiety has decreased substantially and I've delivered good speeches or presentations. If some fear remains after having gone through this process you can go through it again, this time visualising the process from your point of view.

I've actually used this for dates and job interviews as well as public speaking, and each time it's helped me tremendously.
>>
MOST people experience stage freight OP. You are not "missing out" on anything if you are realizing you cannot become this peak of human or some shit that quite frankly is impossible to attain or maintain.

One piece of advice I can offer is to get good at something, and then show it off. This works better in a competitive environment, since controlling your nerve is so important.

Once you do that you will realize that people tend to observe the immediate resultant of things you do, I.E. if you win a tournament but look dumb as fuck doing it, it doesn't matter and people will respect you.

Do this and also learn to laugh at yourself. If you can do both of these then you will have come to experience almost everything that can come from being "in the spotlight".
>>
>>38108145
Grace under pressure is a rare thing. But the thing is, this isn't really pressure. Your scale is too small. You don't need to argue to me that your life is great and full of adventure, you've already made it crystal clear it isn't. It's okay. I just want you to make some ruckus in the world. Spoonfeeding yourself nice little chickenshit advice from TedTalks and self help books is wasting valuable space in your memories. Stop. Its absurd. Your contentment is absurd. Your wall of text is absurd. Embrace reckless abandon.
>>
>>38108205

Great ideas man. You're right, laughing at yourself is massive, and I probably am looking for something unattainable.

>>38108215

Please elaborate on reckless abandon, sounds like you have a no fucks given approach to life?
>>
>>38108145
unfortunately, the advice you're looking for is exactly what we would tell a fat person complaining on how to get in shape. There is no magic pill, no ted talks or youtube pua video that will teach you what to do like >>38108215 said. All it takes is experience and trial and error.

Basically you need to just keep putting yourself in situations that make you feel like that, over and over and over. Repetition is key, just like in the gym. Experience is the most powerful form of knowledge.

I challenge you to try this: next girl you socialize with, just straight up ask for her number. Literally just keep doing that over and over and I assure you after you get rejected a number of times, you will start to not give a shit. It's not awkward and the girl won't care. Just do it
>>
File: rsd shit.png (89KB, 963x499px) Image search: [Google]
rsd shit.png
89KB, 963x499px
Highly highly recommend RSDTyler's videos, RSD stands for "real social dynamics" and it's not any trickery or bullshit, he's very articulate in talking about being grounded in these types of pressures. Just scroll through the channel and look at any video title that interests you. I watched these 2 recently and I think they're relevant to you.
>>
>>38108273

You've nailed it. I made this thread looking for some kind of self-validation/shit to read so I could feel like I'm improving my situation and thank you for calling me out on my bullshit. Experience is key, learn through failure - I think I knew this all along I just needed someone to make me man up again.

Thanks /fit/
>>
Meditation did it for me.
>>
>>38108279

Legend man, I'll scope these out too now that they're here. I've heard of RSD but never looked into it before.
>>
>>38108145
Meditation.

The problem with all the advices other anonymous could give you, like a specific way of thinking or specific way of acting, is that it's not coming from you. It's very important that you have you own theory, your own beliefs and just know that you can control the reality around you, which is exactly what meditation gives you, an ever breaking paradigm insightful fast mind.
>>
>>38108477
how do I meditate?
>>
>>38108547
There are many types of meditation. One of the most common one consists in sitting comfortably in a quiet place and just focusing on your breath. If you catch yourself thinking about something in the past, a future worry, or any other thing other than your breathing, go back and focus on it again.
>>
File: 489635166.jpg (114KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
489635166.jpg
114KB, 509x339px
>>38108477
>>38108561
>>
>>38108602
But really, if someone is having anxiety problems, give meditation a try. I'm not selling anything and you can just do it for 5 minutes a day for a few weeks and see the results. It basically is just learning to focus on the very present moment. For example, if you are giving a presentation, instead of dwelling on anxious thoughts, you just focus on the topic you're presenting, standing there, and in transmitting it in a clear way.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (64KB, 1382x922px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
64KB, 1382x922px
>>38108629
>>
File: troll3xd.png (539KB, 554x665px) Image search: [Google]
troll3xd.png
539KB, 554x665px
>>38108602
>>38108715
>>
Listen OP. I was a fucking awkward fuck in front of crowds like you too. You have to realize that people don't give a shit. Now, don't get me wrong, if you do something really obviously retarded in front of a group of people, they will laugh. But that is almost to obvious. Don't feel like you are so on the spotlight and that everyone is micro analyzing you. I enjoy being the center of attention, a bit too much actually. Why? Its fun, and makes you look good. I think what worked for me is learning to approach strangers/meet new people. Once I realized how little people gave a shit (previously endlessly feared / thought I would get rejected by every slut I talked to) I proceeded to just not give a shit.
>>
Jesus christ Op you write paragraphs to say that you can't talk to girl

You sound like a fucking blithering autistic sperglord.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.