[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When doing pull ups, do you do incomplete reps when you can no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Photo_on_5_28_16_at_2.47_PM.jpg (140KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Photo_on_5_28_16_at_2.47_PM.jpg
140KB, 1080x720px
When doing pull ups, do you do incomplete reps when you can no longer do strict ones?
>>
This girl is ugly as fuck why did you subject me to this, she's literally wearing a square in her nose like a fucking steer
>>
My routine is quality over quantity, so I stop when I can no longer go all the way up, however I haven't been getting stronger for a while so I'm thinking I meed a change.
>>
>>38050928
No, get resistance bands.
Keep a strict regiment.
I started on 3x5, finish your set, if you feel you can't go on without kipping or struggling add the resistance bands or get someone to hold your ankle (feet behind your back) and assist you getting up.
After a week or two try doing that set you had issues with without the bands.
>>
>>38050948
I wouldn't kip, I was just planning to do controled incomplete reps.

Thanks for the reply but I don't do gadgets, and even if I did I lift alone.
>>
>>38050948
>>38050944
Forgot to quote you.
>>
I would say if you can't complete the strict rep, stop and call it a rest period, as you will be better served by doing more strict ones in the next set than by doing false ones in the current set.

On your very last set, I think doing cheat reps can be okay, but don't do it in such a way that you are going to cuck yourself (e.g. a good cheat rep on last set of ohp might be to push press the last reps, whereas a bad cheat rep is to attempt to retard it up).
>>
She has a fucking staple in her nose.
>>
>>38050976
The only way to go further than is to lose weight.
Less weight=easier reps
When you get closer to your regiment goal, increase weight again.
Once you can do a set number of pullups, you can pretty much always do them, but getting to that number is really hard at first.
I can do about twenty in one sitting and another 40 or so throughout the day.
It took me years to get to that, using a pull up bar in my house and just doing pullups every single day at a low body weight.
Once I got to about 3x10 I increased body weight and had zero issues with the usual linear progression that goes with most workouts.
>>
>>38051232
My problem isn't reaching numbers, I just want to work my muscles well and get stronger every week.
>>
You're going to want to do strict pull ups but when your arms and back start giving up just do incomplete reps or even static holds at the top and slowly declining to further the quality of your workout as a whole.

Bands, scrap pull ups, switching up the grip and width of your hands and just some stuff you can do to continue progressing at pull ups
>>
If you want to increase pullups don't grip the bar with hook grip, thumbs should be outside of the bar, and try to do 50-100 pullups throughout the day EVERY DAY.

I do 50 before i go to work and 50 before i go to bed. I can do 27 strict pullups.

It's exactly the same as doing more pushups. If you go through military boot camp your pushup count will go up by at least 20-30 because you are literally doing pushups all day.

Imo however anything above 100 pushups and 20 pullups doesn't offer anything. I can do 250 pushups but i only work them in sets of 50 and pullups in sets of 10 or weighted pullups.
>>
>>38050928

If it's my last set, and I can only go up half way on the last rep, I try to just hang there half way as long as I can. (usually just a few seconds at that point.)
>>
>>38050944
>>38050948
Let me guess, none of you guys can do a clean bench press rep with 315, squat 500 to depth or have a 18+ inch biceps/neck/calves.
>>
>>38051325
Also when doing pullups go ALL THE WAY DOWN. I can't stress this enough, 99% of people do not fully extend when doing pullups and their scapulas remain untrained. Same goes with pushups, go down until your chest reaches 1 fist above ground. Form is everything in these excersises.
>>
>>38051272
You don't get stronger without increasing weight.
So unless you gain weight or add weights to your body, you're only going to continue doing body weight and increasing reps.
Reps do almost nothing for strength.
>>
>>38050928
No, that's called doing a set to failure.

You take a break and start doing real pullups again.
>>
>>38051232

This. When I started, I couldn't even do one. I lost 50 pounds, and even though I'm still on a perma-cut and not making any gains, I can at least do 3x3 now.
>>
File: 1467399252437.jpg (99KB, 589x941px) Image search: [Google]
1467399252437.jpg
99KB, 589x941px
>>38051360
18 inch neck, 20 inch calf.
Bench is the only thing i'm weak at, I don't do much bicep workouts beyond pull ups.
I doubt you squat more than 4pl8 so have fun with that.
>>
>>38051322
>>38051325
Thanks
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.