[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I remember my biology teacher at high school saying this meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I remember my biology teacher at high school saying this meme
>We use 90% of our calories to produce heat
Therefore, wouldn't the best cutting strategy be targeting that 90% of the calories by losing heat?
For example if I start eating ice, drinking cold water and wearing little to no clothes now in the winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) be a better strategy than cardio or limiting caloric intake even more?
>>
>>38005966
DNP
>>
>>38005966

You use probably close to 90% of your calories just by being alive, breathing, having a heartbeat, walking, etc. Body heat is part of that but not all of it.

Being cold enough to shiver will cause you to burn a bit more calories, but the difference is pretty minimal. It's not going to be enough to create a caloric deficit if you're not already in one.

Seriously, it's just so much easier to not eat the thing than to justify burning the calories that were in the thing.
>>
>BMR: 2000
>TDEE: 3500

2000 is nowhere near 90% of 3500
>>
>>38006101
but when you move around and lift stuff, you also shed tons of residual heat
>>
OP I was 237lb and took 4 ice baths a week for 35 minutes before chugging ice cold water until it hurt.

Also keto works well with this
>>
>>38006130
Heat is a side effect of work. If you go by that logic, everything on the planet is a heater. Those 1500 extra calories above my BMR aren't being used just to produce heat. It's used for lifting weights, running, etc. Which heat is a side effect of, but those calories aren't being used just to create heat.
>>
>>38005966
The majority of mass lost is breathed out as carbon dioxide. The carbon atoms in the CO2 are what make up that mass, if you know what I mean.
>not lifting and doing cardio to lose weight

Consuming cold shit and doing cold shit will not burn a significant amount of calories relative to exercise.
>>
>>38006162
yeah, that's why it's not 100% but 90%
>>
>>38006130
Might up it, but probably by about a third
>>
>>38005966
your brain needs a shit load of calories as well. your teacher was wrong with his 90%
>>
>>38006197
I figured, it just sounds retarded.
But since I didn't go for a biology major, I didn't bother checking it
>>
>>38006169
This

The term "burning fat" is apt since respiration is similar to combustion
>>
>>38005966
Heat is a waste product of chemical processes that happens to be useful for staying alive. Claiming 90% to CREATE heat is far off the mark.
>>
>>38005966
What they mean is that calories have a thermal efficiency of 10%. So yes 90% is lost to heat. Hence why dnp and thermogenics work. Glasses of water won't do much because you only hear them part way and it's just not enough matter to absorb the energy created. A lot is lost through sweat, air passing over the skin, and breath. There's a reason your body stores more fat in the winter and that's because your body uses more energy to keep warm. In order to take advantage of this effect you would essentially need a giant fridge and you would need to endure very uncomfortable, but still fairly safe, conditions. So go ahead if you've got the money for a giant fridge that you can set to like 55 degrees
>>
>>38009183
Here's the real numbers. We are definitely more efficient than I thought originally but still not that efficient.
http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/11/mpg-of-a-human/
>>
So calorically, what does it mean if my body is too efficient at producing heat? I sweat a shit ton. Pretty sure it's genetic.
>>
>>38009183
I've read something that stated that with daily ice baths you can get the same boost to your calorie burning.

You really don't need to sit in a fridge, simply drink ice cold water, take frosty showers and put an icepack on your upper back and neck in the afternoons.
Why the upper back and neck? Because that's where the brown adipose tissue is. The thing that just EATS energy to produce heat.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.