[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/run/ - Running General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 35

File: running.jpg (182KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
running.jpg
182KB, 1698x1131px
Previous thread: >>37970422
(Work in progress) pastebin: http://pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG

Discuss and ask questions about running, form, training, injuries, goals, etc.
>>
File: 1465528708870.jpg (57KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1465528708870.jpg
57KB, 645x773px
Finished the 4th week of that 5K program and got some mires

Feels Good to make progress
>>
Who /runningerryday/ here?

I just got to 40 mpw and I'm feeling fucking great. I'm stopping at 50 mpw with my base for a half marathon in fall though
>>
>>38004583
6 days a week rn. Coming back from an injury so I'm taking it easy for now. Feels conflicted man
>>
>>38003222
Nice trips

Today i ran for 12m30s for the first time without stopping. Hopefully by next week I will be able to run the 2k lap at the local park without stopping
Feels good man
>>
>>38004922
Good work anon
>>
>>38004583
5 days a week here. Doing around 70kpw. I've been thinking about going 6 days a week, but that would mean doing laundry more often.
>>
File: 238746234.png (292KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
238746234.png
292KB, 512x512px
>>38003222
Pastebin is missing the usual "how do i get fast"
>>
>>38004922
Fuck yea brah, i remember when i hit 12, just hit 40 nonstop last week, for a slow as fuck 5k, booyah, you gonna make it
I'm gonna make it
we all gonna make it
>>
>>38004583
5 days/week here. Just finished 2mi in 24mins of steady run. I could barely finish 2mi in 45mins a month earlier. Feels good, hoping to reach 17mins soon.
>>
>>38005646
Did you do c25k or just start jog/walking 2 miles multiple times a week ?
>>
>>38005671
My coach has been making me do tempo runs 1~2x/week and easy runs the rest of the time. I have a PT coming soon though. Dunno how the training will look like after.
>>
>>38005671
>>38005748
The distance, btw, is not always 2mi. I actually don't know how he determines it. Sometimes, he gives me a distance to finish, sometimes it's time-based.
>>
>>38004583

Yep. I've never been good at moderation.
>>
How do you run if your plan is to run well into your old age?

What training elements will protect your ability to run long-term?
>>
I've had pain in the arch of my left foot for a few days now, how can I help this heal?
>>
someone recommend me some good long distance running shoes, preferably <$50
>>
>>38007485
Do you think it's plantar fasciitis? Maybe look into some inserts for your shoes.

>>38007568
There isn't a good answer for this.
>>
Will running make my gains more noticeable? i lift weights and i was looking to get into running on the side maybe 2-3 times a week to shave off excess fat. i am planning to run a 8 km route up in the mountains near where i live. thoughts? help appreciated runbros :^)
>>
>>38007710
It could be, where 2 cop some good inserts? In the mean time is there anything I can do to help it heal?
>>
>>38007784
I guess RICE and take a week or two off from running. I use superfeet orange insoles, I think the color depends on like the support level.
>>
>>38004583
9 runs a week mate
>>
As someone who is kinda out of shape, should I do running+calisthenics or lift ?
>>
>>38007710
why not? are most running shoes the same, or would i have to up my budget to get anything worth it?
>>
>>38007929
>praise roid abusing club manwhore who dies at 20+
>care about health
Hi my Reddit new friend
>>
Got shin splints at the start of the (straya) soccer season, still won't stop hurting even with physio + shoe inserts. Do i just off myself or is there a /fraud/ fix or something?
>>
>>38007907
Running and lifting
>>
>>38003222
Do you guys have off-seasons/pre-seasons or how do you organize your selves?
>>
>>38008029
Summer=12 weeks of building up base mileage, adding strides and sprint drills as time goes on, lifting 2-3x per week

Early Fall: harder workouts, still at peak summer mileage, more strides and drills, lifting 2x per week

Mid Fall: Racing in XC 8ks, mileage drops a bit, workouts are slightly less often but still important, nominally lifting 2x per week but being recovered for races is a higher priority

Late Fall: Peaking for final XC race, mileage drops and workouts get easier

Early Winter (Mid November-December): Like summer in terms of building up mileage but less so, sort of like a shortened summer. Keeping workouts part of the schedule, but doing them with less intensity. Start throwing in plenty of strides and sprint drills. Lifting 3x per week.

January/February: Indoor races start. I do 800/1000/mile and occasional 400s so lots of speed work, mileage lower than what it was during xc season. Emphasis on workouts and racing. Lifting 2-3x per week. Basically doing lots of strides and drills until summer starts.

Not a whole lot of peaking for indoor, but we do spend a week at a lower than normal mileage with easier workouts before final indoor meet, then

Early Spring: Right back into things, mileage a bit higher than mid indoor season. Lifting plenty.

Mid Spring: Racing racing racing (800 1500 and occasional 400), focus really on speed and workouts, mileage is getting low. Lifting sporadic.

Late spring: Final races, lowest mileage of year, peaking as much as possible.

Repeat ad infinitum, this is sort of a typical college runner schedule
>>
does running with orthotics really matter?

Been doing it since the beginning of the year but I heard it's better to run with a flat sole
>>
>>38003222
>http://pastebin.com/dZfxGnEG
>Ice the area for no longer than 20 minutes at a time

why no 20+?
>>
>>38006571
Proper footwear.
STRETCHING the legs and feet.
Progressive overload if at all.
Recovery days.
A robust diet.
>>
Am I gimping myself by running right after I wake up? I typically eat after running. If I were to have breakfast before a run would it make a substantial difference? I'm pretty new to running and am pretty fat...
>>
>>38007568
Do not cheap on shoes if you want to run longer than a year. It'll hurt and you'll get injured and it'll turn you off to running
>>
>>38008754
What about $60 asics.
>>
Im curious what your guys resting heart rate is, im 19 and according to my fitbit mine is 59 bpm. last time i checked which was 2 weeks ago i had a 8:18 mile, im on 5th week of C25K now.
>>
>>38007870
oy m8. Running erry day can be more than 7 runs.
>>
>>38006571
not being a retard
>>
>>38009691
50 - 150 while running
>>
>>38008754
i bought some nike free 4.0 flyknits (the updated models) which cost like $90 and today after a 4 mile run, i got a bruised index toe nail on my left foot. never happened before. also the last few times ive ran 4 miles ive gotten a blister right inbetween but on the bottom of my big toe and index on my right foot...
should i buy new shoes or whats going on here?
>>
>>38005229
Don't tell me you wash your running gear after every run? Mine last 3 before they start to smell, hang them outside after every run.
>>
>>38007568

Unless you find an older pair on eBay or something, you won't. Even then, getting under 50 is hard.
>>
>>38007929

Most running shoes are definitely not the same. They come in a variety of levels of durability, shock absorption, and the better ones can have anti-pronation ("arch support") built into the midsole.
>>
>>38010697

Probably your shoe is too small. Running shoes should be half to a full size bigger than street/dress shoes, so your feet have room to swell up a bit during running. You should have a full thumbnail from the end of your longest toe to the end of the shoe when standing.
>>
>>38011111
thanks. i think youre right. with socks they fit kind of snug, so i took out the insole. i cant use them without socks or else my foot will slide around way too much due to sweat.
i think my last option before buying new shoes will be to try out some super thin moisture wicking socks
>>
>>38011173
Yeah definitely use socks. Going sockless can also give you hella blisters.
>>
Knee is finally feeling good, now my other leg's achilles tendon is sore. Goddamnit /run/, when do the near-injuries end.

Doing another rest day and then going on some ez distance runs this weekend.
>>
File: 1465617234041.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1465617234041.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>38004390
>>38004922
Nice. Keep going lads.
>>
File: happydog.jpg (47KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
happydog.jpg
47KB, 480x640px
>>38004583
ayyyy, I double on weekdays and take sunday off. I'm at about 50mpw and I've never felt this good tbqh
>>
File: cyclist_girl.jpg (22KB, 236x302px) Image search: [Google]
cyclist_girl.jpg
22KB, 236x302px
Hey /run/

going to run a marathon in september. I have no experience with running such a long distance, but I want to give it a try and run a marathon once in a lifetime.

I can run 10k in 43min and do lot of cycling (mostly MTB), including long rides (like 5h). But I never did a run longer then 20km. What time should I aim for in the marathon? What should I focus my training on, regarding that I have 10 weeks left?

Want to hear /run/s opinion
>>
>>38013740
You're intending to train for a marathon in what? Approx. A month and 10 days? Are you a dip or something?
A good marathon training programme lasts 4 months, and a shit one is around 3 months. You should be running around 20miles once each week by this point and You need to be tapering your distances down in the final 2 weeks beforehand.
Ya left it too late ya dumb dumb.
>>
>>38008747
Running after waking up is fine. Just make sure you actually eat something if you're going for a longish (10k+) run.

I actually eat a full breakfast before 30k+ runs, and then a second breakfast after that.
>>
File: 3924857289346.jpg (32KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
3924857289346.jpg
32KB, 852x480px
>>38010857
The problem is that I only have 3 running shorts, So I have to do laundry 3 times every 2 weeks, adding an extra running day would mess up my laundry cycle.
>>
RunKeeper is still being idiotic with the GPS issue. I've tried all their "solutions" to no avail.

Has anyone tried Runtastic to track their runs?
>>
Does running on a treadmill count?
>>
>>38013902
Better than nothing but you should always try to run outside.
>>
>>38013740
With proper training, with that 10k time you could easily aim for a sub 3h30 marathon.

That said, if you haven't run more than 20k, and have less than 2 months from the marathon, I'd suggest you aim for a sub 4h30, be ready to get injured, and think about your decisions in life.

Also, not much you can do at this point, you have basically one month to build base, which would probably bring you (injury-free) to a 17k long run (being generous here), and from there it would just be taper time
>>
>>38013902
Yes. However, if you go outside you'll discover that the treadmill lies about the real time and distance you are able to actually run.
>>
Finally found out I run more front footed, not heal-strike. I wear minimalist shoes and usually do 3 miles every other day for 8-10 miles a week.

Will minimalist shoes have any sort of impact long term?
Anything with support gives me shin splints.
How do I increase my pace? Im at 9:15/mile. Want to get down to 8 minutes.
>inb4 hill sprints
No hills here
>>
>>38013915
I don't know man, I live in a small town, unless I wake up really early, the air is shit because of the traffic and the concrete kills my knees.

>>38013974
At least I have full control on the speed I run at. I don't know, I must be autistic but it's more fun too, I like looking at the bar going up and the monitor and stuff.
And at least I'm not alone.
>>
>>38013940

I already did a few 15km-20km runs (but I never did longer) and I have good base from cycling. I was thinking about a 3h45min.
>>
>>38005238
pls critique
http://pastebin.com/cSUNJtx8
I just put in some of my favorite/most helpful workouts from xc so I don't know how accessible this is but if yall have any additions don't be shy
>>
>>38008747
No this is normal. If I eat or have coffee before I get nauseous and get side stitches
>>
>>38003222
>supposed to run today in a competition
>cant because my foot is swollen
>because of some mosquito who bit me and the blood flow being shittier because of bad fitting sandals.

Ice didnt work, foot feels heavier, its also hot as balls here and I had a week of long work. Shit sux.
>>
>>38014010

if anything minimalist shoes will be more beneficial for long term because your feet will be strong

people with support shoes are inherently weaker because their feet are being supported and the muscles aren't getting stronger. so if you can fun comfortably with minimalist shoes and a fore-foot strike, power to you
>>
>>38006571
>How do you run if your plan is to run well into your old age?

bend your knees
>>
>>38007715
It makes you feel like a better human being. Humans have evolved to run long distances. This is how we survived. There is something primal in it.

Besides all the cuties run. If you have muscles and run outdoors in popular areas bring a life jacket you you're about to be swimming nom' sayin?
>>
>>38014149
actually, we have evolved to run, or became adapted to run just under 120 minutes per week

http://ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html

Any more than that and the cardio vascular benefits start to decrease.

And at 40km we also get a sharp drop in test because of the stress the body gets into.
>>
>>38008205

the theory behind flat sole shoes is that it replicates running barefoot. the reason why orthotics/supports are bad for you is that you are never strengthening your foot. you are keeping it supported such that your feet never develop to actually support your body while you are running. it's also probable that people in more supported footwear have bad form
>>
File: image4.png (349KB, 525x551px) Image search: [Google]
image4.png
349KB, 525x551px
>>38014158
get a load of this guy
>>
>>38014196
get a load of you kek

http://www.livestrong.com/article/549765-high-mileage-running-testosterone/
>>
>>38014201
>livestrong
also i'm a gril so test doesn't matter to me fatty
>>
>>38014233
as a girl you seem to be pretty dumb, the mortality rate also applies to you, and no I am not fat kek. But I know for certain that you are dumb.
>>
>Researchers concluded that trained runners have low resting total testosterone levels
Holy shit, that's a bad thing. should I stop running?
>>
>>38007715
Walk it first. Then run it super slow. 8km is a pretty good daily run. You'll enjoy some great endurance benefits from this.
>>
>>38014265
So you're advocating that instead of long distance running (which humans are literally built for) we should all run 10 mins a day to avoid stress on our bodies (that evolved to handle it) so that we can spend an average of three more years on this hell planet?
I may not be a genius but I'm not dumb. I'd rather run 2 hours a day and die at 40 tbqh
>>
>Pretty fucking fat
>Running with a HR monitor
>Feeling good about the jog
>Pick up the pace
>I keep going, can feel myself breaking my limit, feels orgasmic
>Suddenly the physical limits of my body catching up with me
>Slow down
>HR is 190
Am I going to die? It felt so good though.
>>
The human body is the greatest endurance machine in nature. Don't listen to this fat fuck until he posts a reputable scientific source
>>
>>38014676
you've caught the bug, congrats anon :)
As long as you stay hydrated, you should be alright pushing your limits. If it's too much for your body you'll know before your HR band.
>>
>>38014676
Everyone's different brah. Hitting higher HRs tends to be a sign of youth/health.
At 21 I did a VO2max test and my HR peaked at 184
>>
>>38004390
5k program has worked wonder for me, started being able to run 3 miles with breaks, now 6.75 miles straight
>>
>>38014334
trap life bby
>>
>>38014812
This seems like a problem that you need to fix. I can't imagine having an uneven gait won't end in injury.
>>
>>38014201
>>38014334
Meanwhile in other rando study with different methodology we find the opposite:

http://www.newsweek.com/testosterone-long-distance-runners-linked-hunter-gatherer-success-320704

>Researchers are arguing that females may have looked favourably upon males with good long-distance running ability in the pre-civilisation hunter gatherer past, due to their ability to catch prey.

>not wanting to appeal to cavewoman through aerobic strength
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>38003222
I used to run everyday but it was a hassle going out for a park or risking my life running through the roads. I miss it.

I do bike indoors while watching animu however, 6 episodes/day is pretty comfy.
Sage for sage.
>>
>>38014088

>after the warm up you have to stretch

Recommendations on good stretches? How long to hold for? How many types of stretches?

It's well and good to say without it you risk injury but then to completely not expand on it seems incredibly lacking.
>>
>>38014046
I don't think the problem is cardio. I think it will be a matter of whether your legs can follow. Bike vs running is pretty different.

The training suggestions don't change though, just go for slow long runs, done at a conversational pace. Don't increase your weekly mileage abruptly, and don't focus on speed.

I still think at 3h45 is too optimistic, but I'd like to be proven wrong. godspeed anon
>>
Any images/guides out there for stretching? I've noticed my right leg's started to get quite tight when I run.
>>
>>38014936
Dynamic stretching is what you want to do before runs. (And do static stretches after a run to keep from getting stiff.) Just anecdotally, here's my stretching routine. I usually do each for about 10-15 yards of walking and just go back and forth.

Walk while stretching quads
Walk while hugging knee to chest
Walk and bend over, swinging a leg behind you
Goose steps
High knees
Butt kicks
Grapevine
Walk and do arm circles
>>
>>38014934
Go back outside
>>
>>38015429
I live in a shithole where there are a few accidents every single week where I run. There's literally no other road I can take.
>>
>>38014936
I think that stretching and foam rolling could almost be it's own section, especially because you have to tailor your routine to your own needs/problem areas. I'm not as educated in that area though so I'm not volunteering to write it. There's a trillion articles about it that could be linked, it's just a matter of finding one that's comprehensive/reputable enough.
Thanks
>>
>>38015447
Where do you live?? Like what kind of environment? Is there no neighborhoods or woods to run through? I'm sorry anon
>>
>>38015447
stop being a colossal faggot and go outside
try going out earlier or just kys
>>
>>38015560
No. I like the shut-in ways.
>kys
>>>/trash/
>>
>>38015604
you're never gonna make it bro
>>
>>38015625
;_;
>>
File: reaction2.jpg (50KB, 470x700px) Image search: [Google]
reaction2.jpg
50KB, 470x700px
>>38014010
I was doing 12 minutes/mile like 3 months ago and now I do 7:15 minutes. All I can say is keep running until you hit that mark. I guess what helped me was that I used to run in my teens and i kept working out throughout college.
>>
File: 1430021780571.gif (84KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1430021780571.gif
84KB, 375x375px
Complete beginner here. Been doing Reg's park beginner guide for a month now. I was thinking of doing cardio too since I have a lot of body fat. Should I replace some rest days for cardio and have only 1 rest day a week?
>>
>>38014921
That means running fast over long distances, almost nobody except the top athletes can do that. The top 1%. and then even some.

I doubt many of you fucks here can go at that high speed for such long times.

Most of you are going to break yourself and cause the cortisol to increase.
>>
>>38014519
>that we were evolved to handle
>men who run more than 40 miles per week have less test than those who dont do that.

less fertility, less hair on the chest, less deeper voice, less muscle mass. More prone to stress. The list of test problems in men goes on and on.

it is not natural for men to have low test.

Therefore running more than 40 miles per week is bad for men.

How hard is that for low IQ trash like you to follow?
>>
File: RunningOnTheSun.jpg (38KB, 233x350px) Image search: [Google]
RunningOnTheSun.jpg
38KB, 233x350px
100 degree heat index in southeast Michigan today.

Just ran for time, turned off the pace and distance function on my watch. 20 mins out, 20 mins back. Stopped by a food stand for a cup of water at the halfway point. Ended up having a nice little run.

Anyone else running on the surface of the sun today?
>>
>>38016901
Indiana here. Even at 7:30 this morning, shit was hot and humid. I guess this weekend is going to get worse, reeeeee
>>
>>38016901
>is nearly 32 degrees Celsius out
>almost nobody came
>HAD to train because lol work for 2 weeks and no opportunity
>"fuck it, its time for pure pain and exhaustion"

and so it was time for pure pain and exhaustion.
>>
>>38016972
Evansville anon here, I know right ran yesterday at 2100 and it was 85 deg with humidity through roof
>>
>>38007568

Saucony Cohesion. 40 USD on Amazon. I get about 300 miles per pair.
>>
>>38014088

Maybe add some advice on how long to recover between intervals. Like how you know when you're ready to start running the next one.
>>
>>38015889
Nice progress bro. I haven't run for a while and just started again today.
>>
>>38003222

Is starting with 5k ok if I'm doing gym 3 times a week? I don't do cardio at all at the moment.

Will it negatively affect my gains?
Will I overtrain doing both?
>>
what shoes do you guys recommend?
>>
My GPS watch fucked up on my run today and gave me an extra quarter mile I didn't run. Never had that happen before, kinda odd.
>>
>>38014088
are tracks in america also 400m? I really don't know.

A track session for me, usually includes some running drills to improve form (is it called running abc?)
>>
>>38017791
Yes.
>>
>>38003222
>>38015467 (OP)
Can't run, I'll explain what happened
>Literally the first day of trying to get fit
>Already pretty strong from work, so decided I'd start by cutting then do a lean bulk
>Prepare all day, super excited but wanted to wait until it was dark out because it's super hot in the afternoon
>ten minutes into my run I fall and tear the skin off both of my knees
>pretty deep for a scrape honestly, and covered a big area
>hobble home
On the first fucking day too, I'm super pissed because I'll have to wait for it to heal to run efficiently.
>>
>>38017612

5k 3x per week is good for your health. Eat 400 more kcal on your running days than you otherwise would if you don't want to cut weight
>>
Went for a run and ended up with my one of my calves being really tight. Doesnt feel to bad so it should be fine in a few days of rest, but curious as to what caused this so I can avoid it
>>
Where do you guys run? I live in a bit of a shithole area full of gangs and just general scum. Should I go somewhere else first and then run?
>>
Anyone here got a Nexus 6P or any phablet? How do you carry it when you run?
>>
>>38018976
Maybe drive to a nicer part of town and run in a park/trails/roads there?
>>
>>38019063
That's what I think I'm going to have to do. Annoying really.
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for running sunglasses that don't look like ass?
>>
File: my faves.jpg (80KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
my faves.jpg
80KB, 604x604px
>>38019162
If you're a girl like me then get these. They are the bomb and I have been complimented sooo many times with them.

If you're a man, well then ... I don't really give a fuck. Oops. Sorry not sorry.
>>
>>38019234
Sublte rusing if I ever saw it.
It'd take a person who knows this area very well to not get rustled over this.
>>
>>38019234
>the bomb
>sorry not sorry

Kindly fuck off
>>
I weigh 260 pounds and am very fat. When I run regularly I get shin splints. Will this stop happening when I get skinny?
>>
>>38019844
Wont happen as much if ever. Have you tried swimming or the elliptical, much easier on the legs, till you get lighter
>>
>>38019875
I've tried both, I liked the elliptical but I'm not a fan of swimming laps.
>>
is it normal to need to recover for a week after going on a "hard" run?

basically last week i went on a run and increased my distance by .25 miles. my ankle started to hurt a couple hours after my run and it has been aching me the entire week (not debilitating pain, just nagging pain when i flex my foot).

its finally gone away now.

i run with a midfoot strike the way you are supposed to; is it normal to have this ankle pain when increase mileage or are my ankles just fucked?
>>
>>38019985
i'm gonna say no it's not normal, but i don't really know much about other people's experiences.

i picked up running randomly and went from running 10 minutes/3 times a week (lol i know) to running a 5k or more everyday for the past 4 months. i've NEVER had ankle/knee/any kind of pain except for the occasional calf soreness.
>>
>>38019985
By "recovering" after hard efforts people mean more or less the same thing as recovering after a hard lift, as in you're ready to go again in 40 hrs or so. Your "recovery" is really just an injury. It is pretty typical for injuries to start coming in when you run more but .25 miles isn't going to be the reason for that. Maybe you need new shoes? Injuries can also just happen sometime and there's not really anything you can do about that.
>>
I'm hungover, good or bad idea to do fasted 7k in a few hours? Is 11am here
>>
>>38014046
A cycling base won't do shit m8. A running base helps cycling but it doesn't work the other way around. You're just gonna have to grit your teeth and find out if you have what it takes. It's just a marathon after all.
>>
>>38018976
I live in a decent area, i go night time running around my neighborhood and around parks, if im lucky i can find gay people who are cruising at nighttime in parks and get free testosterone.
>>
File: 1468875841074.jpg (71KB, 600x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1468875841074.jpg
71KB, 600x1250px
>>38019844
I love this reaction image.
>>
>1 year liftan, 5x5 for 6 months, 3x8-12 PPL following, 5'9 83kg
>only cardio ever is skip rope
>decided to run last monday
>side stitch all the time
>can only do short sprints
>got sunburn also because apparently 4:30 PM sun is way too hot for me
Sprinting is fun. Will keep this up and attempt to reach 10.16 before Japan Olympics - if not then the only thing I lose is bodyfat.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (51KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
51KB, 1001x1001px
so what shoes do you guys wear to run?
im thinking of trying some zero drop shoes like vibram or altra one 2.5
are zero drop shoes a meme?
>>
Srs question here.

I get pain in my knees when I run. I'm in my 30s, I don't have arthritis or any injuries so it might just be signs of old age.

Should I run through the pain to strengthen the muscles/tendons? I exercised with a bad back (did squats) and it's improved since but I don't know if I can do the same with knee pain.

I don't want to go to the doctor because they always give the same overcautious bullshit along with an ibuprofen prescription.
>>
>>38022159
Grandpa pls.
>>
>>38022137
Running is a meme.
>>
>>38022183
Leave pls
>>
>>38022159

how long you describe your stride length and how would you describe the contact your feet makes with the ground
>>
>>38022237
My stride length is about a foot I guess?

I also try to make my feet contact the ground as much as possible. I slam my feet into the ground as hard as I possibly can with every step.
>>
Sup boys!

Last time I ran intentionally was probably 10 years ago for soccer.

I started running 9 days ago, have done 4 sessions. On my session this morning, I managed to run for 35 minutes non-stop, roughly 5KM. (I walked first 200m to warm up, and walked an extra 400m to cool down afterwards).

I get all giddy and excited when I'm about to break into my job after the warm up walk.

Love you all, looking forward to being able to increase my times etc and run a 10k too, :)
>>
>>38022290

Slow down sport. Especially if you are a bit of a fattie.

It feels good for the first couple weeks, then you injure foot, shins, or knee. I see it happen ALL THE TIME. I would advise not running for a week, then build up to 5Ks over at least a month, preferably two.
>>
Can anyone recommend an alternative to running? I'm sick of the running culture where people have to go really fast and train. It's an extremely aggressive sport and while I want to get healthy, I absolutely don't need that negativity in my life.

Is cycling a less toxic method? I'm sorta interested, but the history of cycling (slavery) has me put off a little. Convince me please.
>>
>>38021054
go drink a liter of water
then do it pussy
>>
what do i do when someone driving by in a car yells at me while running?
>>
Running high experiences. It's why I run. Honestly, it's very satisfying reaching the high, it's a form of reward for running long and hard.
>>
>>38022358
Stop and shadow box. It'll intimidate.
>>
>>38022237

I have good form, looked into this already. I mean my knees hurt when I climb the stairs.
>>
>>38022159
I got into ultra running in my 30's mate bc my knees hurt too much when I strode out and ran faster. I slowed right down and shortened my stride and the pain disappeared almost immediately. Make sure you're not doing too much too soon and try slowing right down. Good luck
>>
Slowly getting faster...used to take me 35 minutes. Around 26 nonestop.

6'1
June 23: 235 pounds 25% bf 30% obese.

Today: 210 pounds 20%bf 27% very high

Got a lot of work to do but been taking weight loss hd supplement and my fish oil. Straight up on a cut for 2 months will bulk after. Just be consistent i will aim 6 times a week. Put in the work...it shows
>>
Shit and im only 23 cmon u young fucks we are supposed to be out...my confidence is growing. I like it but never consistent...maybe this time.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160723-035106.png (408KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160723-035106.png
408KB, 1440x2560px
>>
>>38003222
Went on a 10 mile run today.

90 degree heat and rolling trails for the middle 3.2 miles. Shit was killer. I need to get in better shape.

>>38004583
I was at 6 days a week/40-45 mpw but then I got busy, cut down to 4-5 days (20-30 mpw) and completely skipped last week due to a nasty cold/flu.

But I'm working my way back up. Plan for this week is 5, 7.5, 5, 7.5, 5, 10 for 40 mi./ 6 days total
>>
>>38005748
>>38005790
If you're doing that faggy military fitness test you absolutely need to put more mileage in.

I'm not in the military but my college boxing team was coached by a West Point grad and he had us do that shit a few times a year. I always had the fastest time and never did tempo shit- just nice long 8-12 mile runs for conditioning/fun
>>
>>38022358
Nothing. Just ignore unless they are telling you good job in a non-sarcastic tone of voice. If thry're serious about the good job, smile and say thank you.
>>
>>38022358
Lol nothing just ran past they see you for like 10 seconds anyway who gives a shit.

The other day I was sat outside on my lunch break at work and there was a group of 16 year old lads visiting the university I work at nearby. A runner was going past us at the riverside and one of the lads, a fat dyel starting running along side him to take the piss. The guy just ignored him but the temptation to swing a punch would have been great.
You have to think about the kind of people who are gonna yell shit and take the piss out of runners, they're the kind that would never take physical fitness seriously in their entire lives. They're weak willed cunts who feel intimidated by others who are putting effort into something that they don't have the commitment or self motivation to do. This is the exact reason I love running past fat people.
>>
>>38023373
>one of the lads, a fat dyel starting running along side him
The kind I like are the ones thst start running really fast to get ahead of you to look like they are the shit. Then you pass them 10 seconds later. I always say "gotta pace yourself." They get mad as fuck and try to catch up again with a sprint. Unforunately, sprints are a part of a LDR's training too so I was able to get away and recover back to the slow pace I was going.
>>
>>38022341
cycling is even worse have fun spending a lot on nothing
>>
>>38022341
I'll take "shit that doesn't happen" for $1000, Alex. If runners around you are that negative, then find another place or change your attitude because that's what running is to you: a pissing contest, and all the other runners detect it.

The runners in every place I ever lived were nice, friendly and had great camadre among each other. We strive to push each other to do better.

Have you been to an actual race? The slow people get cheered on by the people who already finished. They get told "good job, keep it up!", " you are awesome!", and "woo! You are almost there! Good job!"
>>
>>38023480
I don't need to be around other runners to know that it's a fascist sport. Most runners are concerned with bettering themselves instead of accepting themselves and their bodies. It is disgusting, it is sexist to me as a woman, and it is rooted in a history of white colonialism.

The same people who are obsessed with winning all the time, are those xenophobes who believe we own this country. We do not own this country, and we do not have a right to say that anyone should come first over another. God fuck Trump. I really need a cigarette right now. /rant fucking over
>>
>>38022159
I don't think it's a sign of old age (27 here), you're not 50 yet. If you just startet running it might be some kind of overtraining. Muscles and ligaments slowly decrease in your 30s so you maybe need a little more tiem to build them up.
But Knees usually get better if you build muscles and lose weight.
>>
>>38022341
So, you want to do a sport without competition.

Get the fuck out of here
>>
File: 1371854742356.jpg (64KB, 711x459px) Image search: [Google]
1371854742356.jpg
64KB, 711x459px
Who /parkrun/ here? (UK)

Every saturday 9am at the local park, 5k run

I;ve been going 7 weeks now and there's always 100+ people there running too

Last week I got my first under 30m 5k, and again this week

feels good brahs
>>
File: 439587343.jpg (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
439587343.jpg
3KB, 160x160px
>>38023634
>>
>>38022290
>>38022332
As long as you make sure your form is tight and you have proper shoes you should be fine. Happy running anon :)
>>
>>38023781
>tfw no parkruns where I live
>>
>tfw run twice the past week and played 5 a side football twice last week as well

Felt pretty good brehs
>>
>>38023634
this could of been good if you knew what sutblety was
>>
How do I into running in the heat?

My pulse literally explodes when running at temps higher than 26°C/80°F. Running slower doesn't really work.
>>
>>38024547
Drink lots of water, wear very light clothes, wear a hat if its too sunny.

Common sense really, anon. That said, it is pretty normal that your heart rate goes higher in higher temperatures.
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (14KB, 194x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
14KB, 194x200px
>>38023948
the bait is actually so bad I reply to this post instead of the original one
>>
File: 1449862659936.jpg (78KB, 311x344px) Image search: [Google]
1449862659936.jpg
78KB, 311x344px
>can barely run 2 miles after 2 months
>>
>>38024551
Already doing all of that. Running mainly in the woods where it's shadowy and a bit cooler.

But I still have hot days where I have switch to walking a bit to get my pulse down while I manage run in the cold for hours.
>>
>>38024556
Then run more often. Unless you are fat.
>>
>>38024547
>wah wah it's too hot
>i'm sweating too much
>how do i make this more comfortable

white people.
>>
>>38024590
go back to kenya
this is a white nationalist board
>>
is it true that running doesn't burn much calories? I've been doing about 5k a day for a month or so and I swear I've lost some BF, but my diet hasn't really changed. I remember seeing a Scooby video where he said the next 24 hours after a run, your metabolism is super fast or some shit?
>>
>>38024581
I run 4 times a week, I weigh 80kg and am 6'5"
>>
>>38025241
5k burns about 360 calories for me. Which isn't much. But in the long running, consistent training will increase your metablosim. The more mpw the better too, try runs longer than 5k too, add one 10k+ run every week.
>>
>>38025285
Next time you run, stop at McDonald's please :(
>>
>>38025241
Think for a minute about what energy source your body uses primarily for doing aerobic activity, and you'll see why it doesn't do hardly anything to body fat.

Finish researching?

It uses the already available glycogen that's in your muscles (with very little fat.) In most people, they have around 90 minutes worth. After that, your body primarily uses fat. So to get the "fat burn" from aerobic activity, you have to utilize all your glycogen.

What if you are doing only 5k everyday? That's just slightly over 300 calories that's just sitting in your muscles whating to be used. That's not very much.

The "afterburner effect" that Scooby refers to is actually overrated. Your heart rate is most likely going to still be up after a run even after a cooldown. However, that result from extra being burnt is neglectible. Cardio is good however for warming up if you plan on lifting because it does get more blood to your muscles which helps them do better lifts and utilize fat as an energy source.
>>
>>38024547

Slow down.

In hot weather, your body is going to divert more blood to your skin to cool and produce sweat. This diverts blood away from your legs. Which means to get the same results from your legs, your heart has to work harder. So your pulse is going to be up.

In hot weather, I just do heart rate training. I turn the pace off on my watch and just run to heart rate. You'll still reap the benefits of hot-weather training when it cools down.

>High of 96 F today, heat index like 105
>Plan to run during hottest, sunniest part of day to get those sweet heat-training gains
>>
>>38025343
Yeah this is what I mean, my fucking legs feel like they're gonna fall off when I run

I don't generally get out of breath otherwise unless I sprint, but I can only reach 2 miles before my legs fucking die
>>
>>38025349

Running is about the most calorie-intensive exercise there is. It doesn't matter for weight loss whether the calorie supply is from glycogen or from fat. It matters a ton when you're racing, but the important thing for weight loss is just caloric deficit.
>>
>>38025426
any method of cardio the uses fat stores instead of glycogen? what about fasted cardio and HIIT?
>>
In Phoenix, AZ.

Should I brave the heat brehs? Hight of 112 today.

Also, what type of water bottle/container do you guys take? Or none at all? How do you carry it?
>>
>>38026534
Just go for it son.

If you absolutely need to carry water, hydration belts are the best shit. Alternatively, just plan your route so that you pass by water fountains.
>>
I live in Florida and run a paved trail in a state park. Is it deplorable to go shirtless when it's hot as fuck out?

Also, I've been focusing more so on weight lifting thr past few months... anyone here run distance consistently and still lift heavy? What's you're routine?

I'm in the national guard and have to take pt tests occasionally which are 2 miles of running timed. I really enjoy cruising at a moderate pace doing distance. Do you think upping mpw at a slower pace will be enough to do decent on my run times?

In the past I tried just doing intervals and my running time on my test sucked.
>>
>>38027952
>Is it deplorable to go shirtless when it's hot as fuck out?

literally who cares. unless you live in a small town and for some reason care about what people think of you then who cares?

if it's hot as fuck people are gonna think you're crazy for running anyways. might as well be comfortable about it.
>>
Oh also. Any heart rate monitor recommendations? It doesn't have to be anything fancy. If I want to really up my cardio what should my target heart rate be? 26 years old 185 lbs.
>>
>>38027952
I've ran shirtless everyday since like March
>>
File: 1465737087594.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
1465737087594.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>38019234
>>
File: 1469069850769.jpg (42KB, 480x642px) Image search: [Google]
1469069850769.jpg
42KB, 480x642px
>>38019875
>>38019844
>>38019982

I would really go for swimming if you can get your self into it. If you get tired of the elliptical you could always get into cycling. Or hell just start going for long walks until you are light enough to run.
>>
>>38027952
What part do you live in? If I ran in my local state park the skeeters would suck me dry through 3 layers of clothing.
>>
>>38022358
Start fucking chasing them, like the Terminator
>>
Goal: 5 miles in less than 40 minutes

Current State: No Go

Ran 3 miles today in 23 minutes which is on track in terms of speed but I've got to up my distance.

Tips?
>>
File: 1428004555983.gif (2MB, 331x197px) Image search: [Google]
1428004555983.gif
2MB, 331x197px
>>38003222
>tfw just came back from my run and it didn't feel completely terrible
>>
>>38029852
just wait, when you get up to running 10+ miles comfortably the endorphins last hours
>>
Who /liftsthenrunsforthenuns/ here?
>>
>>38029815
Honestly just run more. More days a week and longer runs (at least two runs per week over 7 miles). It will take some time.
>>
>>38003222
Hey /run/ trips edition. I seem to have a tendency to get injured a lot. Just a brief history.

Got compression syndrome or similar pain (muscle on the outside of shin/surrounding it felt like it wasn't able to expand and was inflamed, thus felt painful everytime I put pressure on my right leg. From going too fast too soon, running toon much. NOT STRETCHING ENOUGH. Growing up skateboarding everyday I never stretched really, never got injuries in my calves, foolishly always thought stretches were a gimmicks.

More recently I've got patellar tendinitis. Started when I went for a run one day, came back and hit back pretty soon. Bad deadlifting form gave me a bruising sensation in that area (upper shin connecting to knee cap)

How do I stop getting leg/knee related injuries? I've begun adding pre and post run stretches but the PT (tendonitis) remains. It'seems probably been a month since it flared back up, RICE'd it for a while and it went away. Do I need to be on a perma-Rice routine?

Halp, I want to run like at least 40 miles a week but my legs are no bueno. What do?
>>
>>38031164
Stretch multiple times throughout the day if you're able to.
>>
I lift 4 days a week. i want to do HIIT cardio as well. I like sprinting/running fast. hmmm. yeah
>>
is it true that when trying on new running shoes you should find your true size and then proceed to size up to allow room for foot swelling?
>>
>>38033238
Half a size, yes
>>
Beep test guy here
After a week of doing more lsd rather than 3xweek 400 and 800m sanic intervals and nothing else, and cutting 4kg over 2 weeks, hit a new pb of 9.3 today. So close to 10.1 I can taste it. Thanks for the inspo /run/
>>
>>38034260
i remember that shit in high school, i was fat and just watched all the nigs go fucking ham.
>>
Anyone got any good recs for shorts with a built in compression layer to stop thigh chafing?
>>
>>38036084
I run in And1 shorts. The only time I got any chafing was when I ran in a marathon, and it didn't occur until near the end of the race on mile 25.
>>
>>38036084
I really like the Nike split shorts.
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Mens_2_Tempo_Split_Short/descpage-NMTSS.html
>>
File: photo.jpg (63KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
63KB, 900x900px
>>38036153
>wearing basketball shorts for running
>>
File: Extremity-leg.jpg (53KB, 600x936px) Image search: [Google]
Extremity-leg.jpg
53KB, 600x936px
So I'm a bit nervous that I may have fucked up my knee. Ran about a week ago and I've had pain in the circled area whenever I put a bit of weight on my leg. Walking is fine but doing a squat with no weight is impossible.

I'm gonna guess see a doc but I don't know if this is a common thing for newbies, I've only been running for a few weeks.
>>
>>38036643
Is there a lump?
>>
>>38036649
No feels the same as my other leg which feels fine.
>>
>>38036665
I dunno then
>>
>>38023781
Thinking about going to mine but I want to place in the top percent. Working on getting a sub 20 time atm
>>
>>38036643

That area's the insertion of the quadriceps tendon. Which is why it hurts to squat. You have tendonitis.

Rest, ice, take ibuprofen 600mg three times a day for two weeks even if you feel fine.
>>
>>38016901
Arizona here, running in 105+.

>speedwork

currently praying for death,
>>
>>38022137
They're not a meme, but they'll make your lower legs/calves feel like a bag of frozen mixed vegetable cocks if you don't take it easy adjusting to them.

Just make sure you pay attention to your form and you're striking on your ball/midfoot instead of heel-striking and you're good.

I personally wear Altra Superior 2s for trail runs and Skora Tempos for road/track, with no problems.

>Zero Drop is Love, Zero Drop is Life.
>>
>>38037496

SE Michigan anon again

mid-80s and thunderstorms today, humidity pushing heat index to 97.

Fun
>>
>>38037453
I thought tendentious was something that happened after years of repeated use, kinda like carpal tunnel. It can happen after one run?
>>
I need to run 1.5 miles in 9:40.
My best is 9:49.

What can I do to achieve this? I currently do 1.5 miles 4-5 times a week.
Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>38037664

Run more miles.
>>
>>38037575

Yep
>>
>>38003222
How do you guys mix lifting and running? Currently liften 5 days a week but want to get more runs in as my hockey season starts again in October and my cardio fitness needs to improve a lot.
>>
>>38037664
Once a week, do a slow, long distance run (1 mile more than what you can do now)
Once a week, do a leg day with hill sprints, squats, deadlifts, calf raises, lunges, etc.
Once a week, do a tempo run.
Once a week, run 3 miles.
>>
File: bEqZv2q.jpg (74KB, 681x628px) Image search: [Google]
bEqZv2q.jpg
74KB, 681x628px
>>38037747

I do light core work to improve my running.

Lifting big just slows you down.

>Shoo, shoo, gains goblin!
>>
>>38037769
Lifting takes the priority for me tho. Gotta be hyoooooooge
>>
>>38037747
I run 3 days a week and lift on the other two. Here's my routine, which starts on Friday:

Friday:
>6 miles
Saturday:
>Long slow run: 6-12 miles
Sunday:
>Full body workout w/ lifting
Monday:
>Leg day: Run 3 miles for warm up, 10 hill sprints, squats, deadlifts, box jumps
Tuesday:
>Full body workout w/calisthenics
>>
File: 1280427186547.png (164KB, 1221x1558px) Image search: [Google]
1280427186547.png
164KB, 1221x1558px
Finished C25K.

No particular goals at this point. Would just like to run for fitness/fun and maybe do a 5k/10k/HM occasionally.

Good training plans to just develop a base?
>>
>>38037769
Shoo,shoo,gains goblin!
>>
>>38037769
shoo, shoo, gains goblin!
>>
>>38038922
>Good training plans to just develop a base?
Run 6-7 days a week with one day where you run more than all the other days

Let's worry about workouts a little later.
>>
>>38022341
swimming
>>
What shoe from the Nike stable would people recommend? I'm thinking of going for the Zoom Elite. Most of my runs are short and fast.
>>
>>38022341

Cycling is even worse, much more competitive. Stupidly expensive too. That said, I absolutely love cycling.
>>
File: 1464647333724.jpg (129KB, 638x631px) Image search: [Google]
1464647333724.jpg
129KB, 638x631px
What kind of body will I get if I do a shit load of running along with moderate bodyweight exercises like push ups and pull ups? I don't wanna be big, just healthy-thin/ottermode kinda.
>>
>>38039710
Make sure you get more protein than the average runner and i believe you would keep some mass
>>
>>38039447
Air Zoom Pegasus are pretty popular.
>>
>>38039740
Would I need to take protein powder or can I just eat a lot of chicken and eggs?
>>
Who /pre-workmondaymorningrun/ here?
>>
>>38040288
If you're european, just wolf down 500g of quark a day.
>>
File: ouchie.png (72KB, 312x300px) Image search: [Google]
ouchie.png
72KB, 312x300px
Runners please help! My feet keep blistering here and it's really pissing me off. I used to be able to run 7 miles no problem. Now I'm stuck walking after 1, not because I'm tired, but because my feet are blistering horrible and bleeding into my socks and running shoes.

What the hell am I supposed to do to combat this? Thicker socks? Moleskin? No more running?
>>
>>38040042

I have an old pair of Pegusus. Good shoe alright. Was thinking of trying something lighter though
>>
>>38025241
A mile at a normal pace burns like 120 kcal.

Walking a mile burns like 80 kcal.
>>
>>38040504
double layer blister resistant/anti blister socks
>>
>>38040504
Consider athletic tape and socks that are more snug-fitting.
>>
>>38040504
Buy some new shoes. Yours are obviously worn out. I start having the same issue when my shoes wear out.
>>
is it normal though to get small/light callouses on your feet? ever since i doubled my mileage ive started noticing them (on the side of my big toes and on the inner-side of the ball of my foot)
>>
>>38042350
Yes.
>>
>>38040504
>My feet keep blistering here

Blisters are caused by friction i.e. ill-fitting socks/shoes or both. Sort it out.
>>
Got my first pair of running shoes. They're very comfortable save for one damning problem, they seem to rub my right pinky toe raw after about a mile or so, and it only gets worse from there. Only the right pinky toe though, everything else is perfectly fine. Should I take them back and get wides?
>>
>>38037769
Shoo, shoo, gains goblin!
>>
>>38043296
Yes. This seems like an issue that won't just go away once your shoes are broken in.
>>
Barely started c25k on Wednesday and am going to do the 3rd run of the week, I'm having a problem though and its that I start sweat a lot from my forehead and it gets into my eyes and starts to sting, but it gets pretty bad cause it won't stop unless I just stand there for 5 minutes and just keep on wiping it off my eyes, do you guys know what the cause of this is? I feel like its just cause I'm a fatass
>>
>>38043849
Should I be worried that it's literally only my right pinky toe? Should I go wider or just go up a shoe size, from 11 to 11 1/2?
>>
File: picrelated.jpg (203KB, 1020x1129px) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
203KB, 1020x1129px
can anyone recommend a decent and low cost pair of trainers?

currently wearing these, and one has a hole on the big toe
>>
>>38037769
SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (329KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
329KB, 1920x1080px
Training for a 50 miler in December. Tell me how retarded I am.
>>
>>38037541
how did you size on the skora's? did you follow the sizing chart on their site?
>>
>>38040455
Pre-lecture, but yeah.

It's cooler and saves me a second shower.
>>
>>38003222
Is using ankle weights a meme??
>>
I run like 3 days in a row and stop again for 2 months. Naturally I'm pretty good and can run an 11 minute 3km but there's no cool trails near my house, just roads. How do I make it more enjoyable
>>
What is everyone using to track their runs?
Right now I'm borrowing my dad's Polar H7 heart rate sensor and syncing it with the Polar Beat app, but it has some annoying problems.

Also, I did my first 5k today after +6 months of no running at all.

>>38046754
Create some different routes and alternate them?
Listen to music or podcasts (something to occupy your mind)?
Find a running partner?
>>
File: 1353536631084.gif (3MB, 260x180px) Image search: [Google]
1353536631084.gif
3MB, 260x180px
Is the couch to 5K program the best around?

What do you guys eat before a run? Sometimes I run after my workouts but end up feeling a bit bloated because of what I had before. But if I eat less I don't have enough strength to properly complete the workout
>>
>>38047011
Usually don't eat 2-3hrs before a run
>>
>>38047018
not even a protein bar?
>>
>>38047025
It depends on a person but I burp shit quite often if I eat before a run, and to answer your question couch to 5k is great for beginners
>>
>>38047025
I usually wait for about an hour between a meal and running, but it depends on the person.
>>
File: 1403144822025.png (266KB, 385x535px) Image search: [Google]
1403144822025.png
266KB, 385x535px
>did 2 miles in 30 minutes and wasn't even that tired after

I know it's atrocious but I'm getting there lads, I'm getting there
>>
Going to start running tomorrow, I've been boxing for around 7 months but boxing fit doesn't translate into running fit at all. Should help out a lot with my boxing too I hope.
>>
I've been trying to run first thing in the morning because I live in Italy and it gets fucking hot as balls by noon. Any tips for making early morning runs effective? I'm slower and feel worse than ever, but unfortunately work until late at night.
>>
>>38047018
>>38047034
Thanks, brah

>>38047079
Alright. So 1 hour after a regular meal? Or do you eat something specific?
>>
Any tips for avoiding heat exhaustion?
>>
>>38047297
yup, just a regular cooked meal (potatoes, cooked vegetables, lean meat) or a cornflake breakfast.
As mentioned in the thread, some people have no problem with running before breakfast; I'm not one of them, I feel like I'm about to faint if I run before breakfast.
But it all depends on the person, so my advice is to try out some different timings & schedules.
For example my Dad can't stand any solid foods or those energy gels when doing marathons and only consumes glucose tablets (see pic) & sports drinks.
>>
Sup /run/

I've got a fitness test at the end of september- the problem is I know fuck all about what will be involved in it, chances are some sort of 5-10km run, some sort of speed/sprint test and maybe some sort of HIIT stuff

I can train 3 times a week, and can currently run 5km in about 21-23 mins.

What is the best way of training for this? Should I just run say a 10km once a week, a 5km once a week and do some speed/sprint work once a week? I have incredibly poor knowledge about cardio training, I just keep fit by playing soccer + rugby and cycling so any help is appreciated
>>
I can run 5 miles in 32 min.
Is this any good?
>>
>>38043858
People sweat different amounts. Also it's summer so naturally you'll sweat a bit more. If you're sweating though, that means you're hydrated, which is good. Wear a headband/hat/bandana.
>>
/run/ I'm looking to add some weight training to my running. I'd like to lift maybe two or three times a week, but I don't really want to gain weight. I'd like to stay at my current weight or maybe slightly under, but mostly the point would be to have less body fat and more muscle. Is this possible or am I being dumb?

>>38047817
Yes definitely.
>>
>>38047980

It is possible but depends on your current state. If you're currently at say 10-12% bf it'd be pretty hard, if you're at say 20-30% it'd be pretty easy.

The thing you have to remember is that muscle weighs a lot more than fat for the same volume, so you can almost look as if you lost some size but gain muscle.

Look into some beginner strength training- you don't want bodybuilding, you want maximum strength for your weight. At the start this will suit you hugely, as many 'beginner gains' are due to increased CNS efficiency in motor unit recruitment, better ability to activate muscles etc. I would recommend something like SS as it will do this quickly.

However, be careful with progressing to fast- if you are not eating at a calorific surplus (ie trying to gain weight) you will stall your weights progress quickly and putting on heavier weights could quite quickly lead to injury if you're not careful. You will need to eat more though than if you were just running- your body needs to repair the muscles from the breakdown due to the weights.
>>
>>38047980
>>38048123

You also need to consider what your goals are- are you trying to get generally fit, lose weight, lift big, competitively run, body recomp/look good nekkid etc

It's hard to give advice if you don't have goals and without knowing where you stand right now
>>
>>38048123
>>38048154
Thanks. My goals are to run 5K/10K/mini marathons competitively, so run training definitely takes precedence over weight lifting for me. I'm 23, 6'0", 140 lbs, and based on some online calculator I got a bf estimate of around 15%. I've been getting back into running since the beginning of summer, currently running around 18-25 miles per week.

I've looked into programs like SS and SL, but I'm somewhat wary due to squatting every workout (three times a week). Would it be reasonable to cut the program down to twice a week? (Workout A once and workout B once.) And I'm sure this question is difficult to answer, but like how much should I lift with my goals in mind? I'm not trying to get big, so I imagine I don't want to lift super heavy. At the same time, I want to see reasonable gains, so is there a percentage of my max I should be lifting at or what?
>>
>started running 6 months ago and could barely run a 2km
>now I run 5km almost every day

It's honestly a lot more rewarding than I thought it will be. It's legit fun by this point, I feel like I can go on forever.
How do I challenge myself while keeping it sane? I'm afraid running anymore than I do on a daily basis is too energy and time consuming. Can I still improve if I only take 1 day a week to actually raise the speed/length?
>>
>>38048327
One day a week do a longer run. (Say 8-10K instead of 5K) Once or twice a week do like a tempo run or intervals.
>>
>>38048282

Given your goal of competitive middle to long distance running, I wouldn't worry about only working out twice a week. I would say however that you need to think about what you want to get out of lifting weights, as they take up valuable resources for recovery that could be better spent on perhaps more running, tech/speed work etc. That being said, twice a week would probably be ok, although it would be slow, especially for the upper body as you'd only be doing OHP/Bench once a week, but I guess you could just give it a go and see

Bear in mind, if your goal is to lose weight you want to look at diet, not lifting.

As for how much you're going to lift- you are not going to be able to lift super heavy. Chances are you won't be eating or recovering enough to keep up with a novice routing for long, so will have to look for more specialised routines designed for someone who's main focus is endurance running (a somewhat niche area that I know very little about.

>I'm not trying to get big
You won't, it takes time, effort, dedication (not saying you don't have these) and correct diet and recovery (this is where you will fall down- eat big to get big is based in fact)

>How much should I lift
SS starts off with linear progression and tells you how to start. Don't try and progress to fast though, as you have a much higher risk of injury due to diet and other training (= decreased recovery ability). That being said, you should be lifting as much as you can WITH GOOD FORM

>Reasonable gains, percentage of max
If by gains you mean getting bigger/putting on weight, you need to focus on diet more than routine. If by gains you mean weight on the bar, it'll go up quickly at first then plateau after a little while

character limit, cont in next one
>>
>>38048282
>>38048545
cont.

>Percentage of max
SS, by its nature, has you lift at your 5RM every workout. More advanced routines then start playing around with that, but when you get to that point you should look for a different routing suitable for someone who does a lot of running as their main aim

As for an estimate, I'd say, completely blind, that if you don't really change your diet that much you'll be squatting aroud 180lbs for 5 when you stall, and a lot less for bench and OHP, maybe a 225lbs DL or more depending, but this is all very hard to say.

tl;dr

You won't get big if you don't eat enough
You will need to eat more to stay the same weight
You will need to find a more suitable routine designed for someone who's main aim is running
Don't ego lift or go to heavy- you will injure yourself
If you want to change weight- change diet, not exercise
Getting big doesn't 'just happen'- many factors have to be managed correctly
>>
>>38048545
>>38048586
Very helpful, thank you. I'll look into the best way to achieve my goals.
>>
hey /run/,
made some progress today.

4.55 mi @ 45:00 min.
>>
>>38050217
Keep at it mate
>>
>>38005229
>>38004583
how do you people run erriday?
how do you recover?
>>
>>38050964
Most of my runs are done at a conversational pace. So it is not like I feel dead after a run. This and the fact that I always try to get a decent amount of sleep definitely help with the recovery.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>Ran 5times/week 6 months ago
>10km in 45min, not bad for me
>stopped running cuz o' my job
>started again last week
>cant run more than 20min, ~3,6km

Feels bad man
>>
>>38051109
thanks breh.
if i could ask you one more thing, how do you eat to recover better (macros, etc)?
also, stretching before or after a run? or both?
>>
>>38051517
I don't really eat anything special. It's probably a weak point of my training that I haven't adjusted my diet. Then only real difference is that the days I have a long run, I eat double breakfast (Before and after the run)

As for stretching, I stretch only after running, but I know people who do both.
>>
>Don't run for a while
>Run today
>Knees and Arches are trashed
Any advice on how to relieve this pain?
>>
>>38050964
you just don't run hard erry day.

I have like 2 fast workouts. 1 is intervals, one is a faster pace but still comfortable. Rest of the runs are done so I could tell you my life story while running
>>
File: 1377312180109.png (71KB, 603x603px) Image search: [Google]
1377312180109.png
71KB, 603x603px
TFW ran 1.8 miles without stopping.

This is up from .5 miles. Training for two months, 10 miles per week.
>>
>>38015889
Height weight age?
>>
>>38047947
thanks for the reply anon, I'll go and get a headband today
>>
So, 4 months or so ago I started running, now I run 30 mins a day
Got from 84 kg to 75 but stopped there
Now going for 1 hour, will I drop to 62? I don't want to run 2h a day because of my shitty metabolism
>>
>>38053340
If your objective is weight, just change your diet.
Also, it won't work linearly anyways, since you already lost weight, you're burning less calories than before.
>>
>>38052021
why does it start off with her saying "what?"
>>
>>38053568
>>>/a/
>>
>>38053542
I already eat almost nothing
Like, a sandwich for lunch and some meat for dinner
>>
>>38053676
Count calories properly then. As long as you're keeping a caloric deficit, you will keep losing weight.
>>
>>38053755
What if I buy some weights and wear them while running so I burn more calories?
>>
>>38053340
Do some HIIT instead
>>
>>38054077
Wouldn't I gain weight the moment I'd stop with it and go back to standard running?
>>
>>38053981
Wearing weights for running is a pretty bad idea. Damages joints, etc.

Hills are a way better option, and HIIT if you have no hills.

As for gaining weight back, I don't think so, you'd simply stabilize instead.
>>
>>38048545
>>38048586
So reading this, lifting is at odds with running? Is it one or the other, or can I lift at a muscle maintenance level, focus on reps, or something? Trying to lose weight as well.
>>
>>38054469
Or a slope-capable Tapis roulant I guess
>>
>>38051784
stretch ice and rest. Ibuprofen is also a fucking miracle drug. It will help you recover faster.
>>
>recovering fatty, always wanted a girly physique
>have been going to the gym for the past year, skimping on cardio and mostly doing weight lifting
>see some improvements, but still depressing results towards my goal body
>say fuck it and start jogging last week, figuring it'll take forever to make progress
>went from only being able to jog small bursts at a time and spending most of my time walking to spending most of my time jogging, jogged a total of 2.5 miles tonight intermixed with another 1.5 miles of walking
>sweating a ton, body twitching, feel best I have in a long time
This is an amazing feeling, I feel as though my body was made for jogging, not lifting.
>>
Just started running last week after 3-4 yrs of not jogging. Huge improvements between my first 3 runs, each run was ~45mins

>1st run
1.5km without stopping
3km with 3/1 run/walk ratio
>2nd run
2km without stopping
3.8km 3/1 run/walk ratio
>3rd run
2.7km without stopping
3.4km 5/1 run/walk ratio

I'm elated, never thought it would feel this good to start exercising again. Only thing thats missing is a runners high
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.