[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/running/ general goddamnit. Is running on treadmill 45 minutes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 19

File: walking-vs-running-feature.jpg (653KB, 1500x1030px) Image search: [Google]
walking-vs-running-feature.jpg
653KB, 1500x1030px
/running/ general goddamnit. Is running on treadmill 45 minutes at 8kmh 4 times a week good enough for cutting? I do it on my off days (Tue,Thu,Sat,Sun) but if I eat too much I also do it after lifting. I'm at about 20% bf, should I change anything (time,speed,incline)?
>>
8kmh is about 5mph which is honestly pretty slow, but it depends on how hard you're working at that pace. If it's pretty easy for you, try running a little faster or farther; there's no reason no to.
>>
>>37913121
Run outside and do hill sprints.

Also elliptical>treadmill
>>
>>37913250
Home gym and I have only treadmill and running outside here is one way ticket to snap city, shitty roads breh
>>
>>37913223
What should be my goal speed if I want to just cut? I'm definitely not into sprints or marathons fyi
>>
>>37913360
>shitty roads

What are sidewalks, trails, and fields? Also unless the roads are just strewn with potholes, I absolutely think you can run on them. African guys running barefoot can make it work, so can you.

>>37913408
Try to get that mile time in the 10 minute range. This will of course take time to do so, so improve gradually or you'll risk injury
>>
>>37913474
So I guess 10kmh. Is adding .2 km too little?
>>
does 4Chan have a running group on strava?
>>
>>37913540

Try adding another half mile, and see how that feels for a couple weeks. I can't imagine 200 meters would make much of an impact at all.
>>
What's the best style of running for cardio (read: sex endurance).
I really hate running out of breath even though I look good naked
>>
>>37913575
I'm back. ran 43 mins @5.5 and 2mins @6 milesp for the lulz. I didn't even ran out of breath, should I try at least 30mins @6miles tmrw?
>>
>>37914213

Yeah you should run faster.
>>
>>37914213

You should be running at a pace where you couldn't quite carry on a conversation if you were running with someone else.
>>
In case I can still conversate at 6miles should I increase incline? I feel like more speed could burn muscle for 45 mins. Is that a meme? I doubt tho that 10kmh will be easy
>>
>>37914282
>more speed could burn muscle

Doing higher intensity anaerobic exercise will not 'burn muscle'.
>>
>>37914347
After I hit 45mins 10kmh should I go for 1 hour or more speed though?
>>
>>37913121
Throw in some walking OP, you seem to hate cardio due to the fact you are lacking a solid playlist, music is the biggest game changer you can do for yourself.

I walk everyday for 45-60 minutes listening to podcasts or books, 20-45 minutes of HIIT sprints 1 day a week and I've been on a cut for 4 months at 1550cal/day and shedding fat while achieving gains- even on a pretty tough cut.

Don't ever neglect LISS.
>>
>>37914545
I don't know how y'all listen to music or whatever when you run. I don't like carrying my phone with me when I run, and I find the sounds of my surroundings to be enough.
>>
>>37914568
Missed Prime day yesterday but get yourself a nice set of blue tooth ear phones/buds and a arm band holder for your phone.

If you are struggling and hate cardio, sometimes the sounds of the area isn't enough.
>>
>>37914387

If you are looking to have your body burn fat, go for speed over distance.
>>
Are nike frees any good? Want to pick some decent shoes from academy and those look nice. Gonna be running in cement mostly. Any other suggestions are welcome
>>
>>37914634

I and most runners typically avoid Nikes for serious use. They aren't the worst but there are much better options. I'd recommend going to your local running store and checking out different brands (Saucony, Brooks) and try some on and run around the store.
>>
>>37914632
Thats my goal. Is 45 too much or ok?
>>
>>37914674

+1 - try what is best for you. I found the Nike Free Distance to be perfect for me but I also really despise a foamy ride.

>>37914682

45 what? Minutes? I wouldn't do less than an hour myself, alternate between fast and slow.
>>
>>37914714
I dont really like less than 8kmh for slow. Also I meant 10kmh for 45 mins. For fat loss should my ultimate goal be an hour at 10kmh every day or is that a flawed plan?
>>
>>37914746

You have to train your body so it starts burning fat during activities.

Ideally you alternate high intensity training with longer distances at lower paces (90+ minutes). Keep those high pace workouts (1 hr, high pace) and add a long run a week and you're set.
>>
after going through the motions previously i'm now enjoying my running. this week i've run three days in a row, and have been upping the time spent running each day.

i'm a quick but not lightning quick (17min 5k pb) runner but these past few days i've just been running at a really easy pace - it's amazing how much i've been enjoying these long, lazy runs and after finishing the run i'll do three or four fartlek bursts (200m 3/4 pace, 200m jog).

i feel like this is a great workout because it is improving my base aerobic fitness and the fartlek is going to be really useful when the football (soccer) season begins again.
>>
when running or walking long distance i get pain in the outer ball of my foot, but it's only on my left foot does this happen to anyone else? suggestions?
>>
>>37916321
stop running fag, it just means you're doing too much too soon, this is why biking is better
>>
>>37916321
>or walking
I'm guessing you just started running.
>>
>>37916336
Biking can't get dem sick cardio gains tho.

You'll just end up with swollen thighs and cars who want to run you off the road.
>>
>>37916342
pretty much so any idea how to stop this from happening, because i definitely don't want to stop running
>>
>>37916385
You need to lose weight, get better shoes, and build up your routine over time.

You might also want to take a break day or two in the meantime.
>>
File: 1379901573117.jpg (30KB, 526x456px) Image search: [Google]
1379901573117.jpg
30KB, 526x456px
>>37916400
running to lose weight
need to lose weight to run
is it bad i enjoy the sound of this challenge?
>>
>>37916436
You can lose weight by eating less, and focusing on exercise that has a longer duration rather than a higher intensity. Specifically, aim for a 1000+ calorie deficit.

After you heal, neither of these things should injure your feet.
>>
>>37916463
got it ill give it 2 days to heal n see what happens with some better shoes. besides i'm already on a 1500 cal a day diet, and i'm not huge or anything.
>>
>>37913408
Prob 6.5-7 mph
>>
>>37913121
Don't just run. Try intervals.

And always try to up your speed.
>>
Hey everyone. I'm more than halfway through the couch to 5k program, and I've been jogging/running in my sneakers that I wear, which are New Balance 609's, (just regular sneakers). I'm going to buy running shoes, and after doing lots of research I still don't know whether I should buy traditionalist shoes or minimalist shoes. Which type should I buy?

tldr; minimalist or traditionalist running shoes?
>>
>>37916562
What's a good interval training routine? I'm at 5:30 min/mile, and am training specifically for the mile distance.
>>
>>37916577
Buy minimalist shoes if you live in California.

Buy traditional shoes if you're a normal person.
>>
>>37916577
zero-drop, minimal sole shoes solved some hip issues I'd been having and I never once got shin splints or other problems despite having to run on pavement much of the time. I highly recommend them. They do slightly change your gait so they take a couple runs to get used to.
>>
>>37916577

Read the fucking thread.

Go to a running store, get your gait looked at, get the shoes that fit your body and run.
>>
Could someone semi-knowledgable tell me if this is a bad running plan for someone who is in relatively good cardiovascular shape at 6' 150? I really don't want to injure myself

Monday - >3 miles at 7mph pace
Tuesday - >3.5 miles @max effort
Wednesday - >3.5 miles at 5mph pace
Thursday - >3 miles at 7mph pace
Friday - >3.5 miles @max effort
Saturday - rest
Sunday - 3 miles @7 mph
>>
>>37916936
Unless you particularly enjoy these "max effort" runs there's no reason to do them. Try this instead.

20 miles per week
one long run of 5-6 miles
three days of 3 miles + strides (look up what strides are)
one day go to a track and do this:
One mile warmup
One lap around the track striding the straights and very slowly jogging the curves
8x400 with two minute rests in between reps, should be at a pace that you could definitely sustain for a mile
One mile cooldown

Don't worry about times for your non workout days, how fast you're running is irrelevant. Just get the distance in--you won't ever run too slowly, I can guarantee that. Keep the 400s and the long run separate by two or three days with at least one day completely off in between. Avoid running on roads and especially concrete/sidewalks as much as possible while you're starting out on running consistently. The path to injury goes through forcing yourself to run at an anaerobic pace for extended periods of time on pavement, stop worrying about pace.
>>
>>37917267
I should add that on a more general level worrying about the pace of generic distance runs is not how to improve as a runner. Real improvement comes through bumping up mileage consistently. The distance is what matters, not the pace.

Also, this is more geared towards serious runners, but read this for a pretty generic, adaptable training program for runners that want to get good: http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/rtp3.htm
>>
File: 1461672936314.gif (3MB, 628x402px) Image search: [Google]
1461672936314.gif
3MB, 628x402px
>>37917267
>>37917307
Man, I really wasn't expecting such good advice.

When you say, "worrying about the pace of generic distance runs isn't how to improve as a runner", this applies to someone trying to have a fast 5k for racing purposes, correct?

I'm slightly confused on whether or not this is advice for causal runners or people like myself who are hoping to be competitive.
>>
>>37917659
If anything, just running easy with no set pace is even more important when you're just starting to run competitively. No matter what level you're at, easy distance should be based off of perceived effort, not some prescribed pace that will probably end up running you into dust. If you're feeling amazing you can open up a bit, but just run at a pleasantly easy aerobic pace. You should feel better 20 minutes into a run than 5 minutes in.
>>
File: 1466371240525.jpg (3KB, 109x125px) Image search: [Google]
1466371240525.jpg
3KB, 109x125px
Just ran about two miles

Am I doing this right?
>>
File: 1461718821473.gif (967KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
1461718821473.gif
967KB, 245x250px
>>37916463

>1000+ calorie deficit

Ayyy lmao enjoy your body going into fat storage mode
>>
>>37917942

No
>>
>>37918097
>t. landwhale
>>
>>37918161

Nah I'm 130lbs
>>
What does /fit/ think about this HIIT routine? Should I change anything? My current pace is 6 min/mile, and I'm going to start this tomorrow.

>8x 400m at 5min/mile - 2 minute rest
>4x 800m at 7min/mile - 1 minute rest
>>
So I have been wondering about this for a while,

What burns more energy, running on a threadmill or just running outside.
Both at the same speed for the same time.

I would guess it would be running outside because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own.

What do you guys think about this?
>>
>>37918369
>because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own
No, this is wrong; they are literally the same thing in different reference frames.

I'm a physicist.
>>
>>37918369

It's more about which you enjoy more I think
>>
>>37918384

Well I obviously enjoy running outside more, vitamin D plus I get to enjoy nature.

I cant understand why amyone would run on a threadmill when you can go outside for free.
>>
>>37918399
I only run at night so no vitamin D for me.

I could definitely see a treadmill coming in handy on hot days or during the winter though.
>>
>>37913868
Bumping for this. I hate being a wheezer after 6 pumps.
>>
>>37913868
HIIT
>>
>>37918369
I can literally get on the treadmill right now and bust out a 27 minute 5k on a slight incline. I did c25k on a treadmill, actually.

Now, the past week, I've been running around my neighborhood (I run on the asphalt road instead of the concrete sidewalk). I can barely do 1.5 miles at a slow pace outside without wheezing, and most times my lower legs feel like they've taken a sledgehammer.

I always thought this anon was right >>37918381

and that there was little difference. I was wrong.
>>
>>37919148
>>37913868
HIIT is only good for anaerobic endurance. So yeah, I guess if you want sex endurance HIIT would work.
>>
>>37917856
Hey, don't sell yourself short. D3 athletes are often the best at their sport at the local level. You have to travel pretty far to find someone better than them at what they train for.
>>
>>37919182

I only have experience with running outside so I cant compare but what you are saying confirma my thoughts.

Also on the threadmill you have no air friction, which should be negligible unless you are running when its really stormy.
>>
>>37919190
Thanks
>>
>>37918369
running outside is harder, and is (obviously) more practical unless you're going for a treadmill test.
>>
File: 140718749485.jpg (60KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
140718749485.jpg
60KB, 960x720px
>tfw get nasty blisters on both feet every time i run
>>
Is running a good weight loss activity? If so, what's the basic plan you'd recommend assuming I have ran before.

I've been running a lot a year or two ago, just to keep in shape but eventually work became too much and I had a really stressful year (me and my wife had a baby plus work) so I gained like 4 kg of weight. I am not obese or even "fat" fat but unless I do something now I might get there eventually.
>>
>>37919992
dieting is a good weight loss activity.
4kg loss just cut out the crap and do a 30 min jog 5 times a week
>>
>>37920090
Yeah I am already dieting, I know this stuff pretty well because I was fat as a teen and had to lose 20 kg at some point, so I am no stranger.
>>
>>37919943
Shoes are too loose or don't fit right.
>>
>>37919943
wear better socks
>>
>>37919943
Get better socks and shoes that fit, fuccboi
>>
>>37918346
6 min/mile for a race? What distance? Or is that like your usual training pace?

If it's your race pace, it's not a bad plan. It's simple, it's running fast, some is faster than race pace (I presume that's what 6min/mile is) and some is slower than race pace. Better than nothing, that's for sure
>>
>>37913121
Run comfortably your first two days and then do speed work the last day
Don't run 4 days a week.

Also HIIT is better for cutting
>>
>>37913121
Step on the elliptical. Crank up the resistance to max. Warm up for 5 minutes. Run for 30 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Do this 4 times a week.

Am I doing this cardio thing right?
>>
How do I run without blistering my feet?
>>
How long do you all wait after eating before you run? After going to the gym in the morning, going to work about midday and then eating a phat meal when I get back I can't find the time without feeling sick after running on a full stomach
>>
>>37921049
get proper running socks
>>
>>37921161
I usually wait at least three hours before lifting/running for good measure, even after the biggest meals 3 hours seems to be enough for me no matter how hard I go on the paint
>>
>>37916336
i hope you get hit by a car cyclecuck
>>
>>37918346
If your goal is to drop time in any race longer than a 400 I'd suggest adding some easy mileage to your running plan, otherwise you're going to end up becoming really aerobically weak compared to your anaerobic strength and struggle to perform at the level you should be at any race longer than a minute and a half (getting worse and worse progressively at each race distance)
>>
>>37919182
The small muscles you need to handle running on pretty much any surface are underdeveloped. People don't realize this but treadmills really can mess with your running form, you can basically just repeatedly jump up and down to run on a treadmill (with some degree of forward component) but when you're actually running on a real surface bobbing up and down won't get you very far. Start off replacing treadmill runs with running on softer surfaces like grass or trail and with enough mileage your little leg muscles will develop, allowing you to handle the pavement of the road. There's a reason professional runners don't do the bulk of their mileage on treadmills--it just doesn't prepare you for real running.

>>37919212
>which should be negligible unless you are running when its really stormy
Eh, the energy of a cross section of wind hitting you is proportional to the square of its velocity relative to you. There's conversion factors you can work out, but something as small as a 10 mph wind can set a runner back by 2-3% and if there are any gusts that can obviously become a lot significant. In workouts and races I tend to run like 2 or 3 seconds per lap slower with 15-20 mph wind and that's on a track when you get a tailwind at some point. If you're straight up running directly into a moderate 15 mph wind pace could drop by as much as 30 seconds per mile at the same effort.
>>
anyone here run barefoot?

i recently read born to run and now i'm reading barefoot running by ken bob. my eyes have opened to the fascinating world of barefoot running. i started going barefoot recently and now i run along the beach 7 miles a day barefoot. it's just the best feeling ever
>>
>>37922355
it's a meme stop
>>
>>37922380

a meme is sporadically dishing out $100 on shoes so you can heel-toe and break your knees
>>
>>37913556
I know /n/ has a biking strava group, haven't seen any in /running/ yet. Maybe if these generals stop dying every couple of days and people realize there is a running haven among the gym rats, something could take off
>>
>>37922429
Born to Run is a great book. I hope running works out for you, and if it means going barefoot, power to you.

But barefoot running is dangerous in its own ways, and i've known many people who have gotten injured trying to run too much distance barefoot too soon. sure, it's natural, but once you've been running in shoes for years it isn't much use.

i don't heel to toe strike, nor do i run barefoot. you act as if the two go hand in hand. in reality, all it takes is running with a metronome for a week and learning how to run at a high cadence (170+). once your cadence is decent, it's literally impossible to heel-to-toe strike. that's more often a result of overstriding. the shoes cause overstriding, but you can fix it with a little patience
>>
File: le_Pepsi_Pup.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
le_Pepsi_Pup.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
To the anon who suggest a hydratuon belt the other day, thanks. Works great and no longer dry mouthed!
>>
>>37918369
>running outside because there you have to actually propel yourself forward whereas on a thread mill the floor moves on its own

jesus anon, it's you that is moving your body, it doesn't matter if the surface you run on moves in terms of energy consumption.
>>
>>37923315
You're missing a few important points about running outside though.

>Wind
>Uneven terrain
>Qts bringing your heart rate higher
>>
File: 1448305952348.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448305952348.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>big nasty callus on my right toe from running
>only right toe, left foot is fine

Why?
>>
>>37923399
Also
>taking off your shirt for the final 1/2 mile to get rid of your farmers tan and get dem fatass neighbors' mires.
>>
>>37923400
don't overthink it. blisters, dead toenails, calluses, none of that shit ever happens symmetrically. that'd be weird as hell if it did though.
>>
File: 3r1f8x.jpg (305KB, 636x478px) Image search: [Google]
3r1f8x.jpg
305KB, 636x478px
>>37923315
>>
>>37923315
You can just kind of jump on a treadmill, while you need to actually go forwards on dry land.
>>
File: 2398472342.gif (384KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
2398472342.gif
384KB, 600x338px
>>37923504
You shouldn't be holding onto the sidebars while running on a treadmill :^)
>>
>>37923542
You don't need to hold onto the sidebars to jump, anon...

You can jump on normal land, you know.
>>
>>37922355
I do it once in a while, it destroys my calves in the best possible way because you're pretty much forced to run on your balls/toes. My soles are like iron plates now.
>>
Hey guys, need to improve speed and distance as I want to enlist Army SF.

I need to do two miles in 13 mins and I can do a 9:20 mile at night but couldn't even finish today. I know I have a lot of work to do and want to do it right - what do?

I'm running every other day - I lift every other day that I don't run.
>>
>>37923971

Easy answer and hard solution: just run more. Keep running as suggested earlier here with a regular schedule, one long run and more short runs in a week. Run often and you'll improve.
>>
>>37923971
6:30 min/mile is pretty fast.

Do at least one long run and one speed work per week. Besides the speedwork, every run should be at easy pace. 4-5 runs per week total should be good I think.

Like >>37924029 said. just keep running
>>
Wtf is happening to me /fit/? I started training 2 weeks ago and could barely pull an 8 min mile, but I just pulled off a 5:30 a few minutes ago.

Am I gonna die?
>>
>>37924029
>>37924109

Thanks fellas.

I definitely have a hell of a lot of work to do, but that's what I'm aiming for.
>>
>>37924171
Nothing's wrong, you just mismeasured your "mile," just like the kids on the high school basketball team who all broke 5 minutes for the "mile" in their annual time trial

If this actually happened on a 400 meter track then you're just exceptionally talented but that seems less likely
>>
>tfw I take 15 minutes to run a mile

Why am I so pathetic?
>>
>>37924417
The good thing is that with a bit of effort you will be able to improve upon that massively
>>
>>37924450
Thanks friendo. Really perked me up! I'll do my best!
>>
>>37924346
To be fair, I used to play club soccer and have always been fairly athletic, I just neglected cardio training completely for about a year
>>
>>37914213
I run outside and my GPS tells me my avg speed is about 12 km/h, which is 5 min/km. Also for cutting I would recommend doing interval training:
10-15 mins of warmup slow jog,
10 mins of medium pace jog,
then for 20 minutes do:
20 seconds of very fast running (not sprinting, your form should not be suffering),
90 seconds of very slow jog

Intervals boost fat burning way more than long, slow cardio does. Don't do intervals more than twice a week, though, it will lead to overtraining.
>>
>>37914634
NO

Those injuired me and made me lose my jr year XC season.
Way too minimal of a construction. Look for aomething blockier from a co aimed at running, like Brookstone or Asics

Nike on ther own has better shoes than thag, I think it was the fitsole that I enjoyed by them
>>
File: toms_shoes.jpg (30KB, 582x265px) Image search: [Google]
toms_shoes.jpg
30KB, 582x265px
These are the only shoes I have and I am literally too poor to buy any decent running shoes. How fucked am I if I run in these?
>>
>>37924505
If you actually did this on a track then that's p impressive, you could probably get to sub 5 within a year if you go at it
>>
File: Scooby 2.png (243KB, 200x290px) Image search: [Google]
Scooby 2.png
243KB, 200x290px
Hey guys OP here with an update
>Wednesday
>Do squats, leg are sore
>3 hours later
>run for 45mins @8.8kmh (5.5 mph)
>come here
>you guys tell me I gotta run faster
>today was rest/extra cardio day
>run 30mins @10kmh (6.2mph)
>calves are sore as always
It was very challenging. Should I do this for like 4-5 times a week or even more? I think this speed is gonna be challenging for a long time coming, but gradually I might increase time I think up to 45mins or just more speed. Should I warmup a bit for maybe 5mins @ 8kmh or stretch a bit before my run? Love ya no homo
>>
>>37914634
I like the minimalist kinda shoes that Nike makes but Nike Frees are just garbo, try the Nike Lunaracer 3. It's pretty minimal and lightweight since it's technically a racing shoe but is an actual running shoe with cushioning.
>>
>>37925199
Just run easy and don't worry about pace. Instead of dropping your time try to add distance. You can incorporate workouts/strides if you want to get speedwork in.
>>
>>37925290
btw not interested in running really, I just have a treadmill and wanna get shredded like a sickcunt, so I guess I should be looking for more intensity (eg 10kmh for 30mins)rather than training for endurance (9kmh 1hour), right?
>>
Knee hurts after running, how should I act on it?
>>
File: 1467256089201.png (498KB, 1083x738px) Image search: [Google]
1467256089201.png
498KB, 1083x738px
>>37919943
Wear to two Socks on each Foot.
Not to thin and not to thick.
>>
>>37924936
Ridiculously.
>>
>>37925322
If that's the case then you're looking for whatever burns the most calories, which basically means covering the most distance. Also 30 minutes going 1 kmh faster is not really any different from your so called "endurance training." They're both overwhelmingly aerobic.
>>
>>37924563

Intervals don't burn more fat. Longer runs burn fat combined with intervals. You need to train your body to start using fat as fuel.
>>
>>37926186
What do you suggest then?
>>
>>37924936

You won't make it through one run in those.
>>
>tfw tweaked a muscle in my back and haven't run in a week

How do I make sure I don't injure myself again? I make sure to go for a warm up jog, do dynamic stretching/plyometrics prior to running, and stretch post running.
>>
>>37924936
go hunting at thrift stores, you will be amazed at what you can find sometimes. saw a nike free 3.0 in decent condition before.
>>
any tips for running with hemorrhoids?
>>
>>37913868

For what you're describing, probably lactic threshold training. Do 15-25 minutes without stopping at 5k pace plus 20-40 seconds per mile depending on weather, terrain, etc.

So if your 5k is 6:00 per mile pace (18:36) then do 15-25 minutes at 6:20-6:40 pace.

Most of you are fat as fuck, so go on the longer and slower end of those ranges.
>>
How do I know if I'm running correctly? Anyone have a video or image showing the correct running form?
>>
>>37926717
running plug
>>
File: shoe.jpg (27KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
shoe.jpg
27KB, 350x262px
went to a running shoe specific type store today and got these brooks G13 after trying on 10 other shoes,howd i do?
>>
>>37914634

Many will shit on Nike, but it's just mall tier Nikes that suck. The Pegasus, Vomero, and Elite are all excellent options for those with high arches or a neutral footstrike. The Structure is good for medium arches. The Odyssey is good for flat feet. The Lunarglide is okay but not great for medium to high arches.
>>
>>37916400

Might be shoe is too tight in the toebox. Try going up a half size. Most people get their normal shoe size but you should go up half to a full size for running shoes so that they have room to swell. Fit should be comfortably snug but not constricting. Loose shoes fuck up your feet. Sliding in and out without tying fucks you up too.
>>
>>37916577

Former running store employee here, for every person who found a miracle in minimal shoes, we had two get injured and two more just return them. They're a tool for form work, not a primary training shoe.
>>
>>37917307

FUCK YES BASED HODGIE-SAN

>>37917659

Competitive runner here from 800 (1:58) up to marathon (2:42) and everything in between. I have seen so many runners at all levels drive themselves crazy over pacing for runs other than workouts. I had a sub 4 miler on my college team who went on to run for Nike. He did his easy runs everywhere from 6 to 8 minute miles. Had another teammate who mapped out all of our runs and tried to hit a steady 6:45 for every single mile. He still made great progress in college (dropped 5k from 16:02 to 14:47). Easy run pace is like the least important aspect of a competitive training program. The workouts and mileage are what matters.
>>
>>37918369

The difference is negligible enough that you'd be doing yourself a disservice thinking about it.
>>
>>37922429

A meme is buying a book about good running form from a man who, these days, can not walk unassisted.
>>
>>37926452
If your goals are just to cut, then run as much as possible as much as you're willing to while continuing lifting.
>>
>>37926849
>Competitive runner here from 800 (1:58)
Do you have any advice for improving max speed? I think my 400 is becoming a limiting factor for my 800 goals and I'm not completely sure about what I need to do to improve that. Right now I'm lifting a bit with strides and drills 3 times a week and one day per week of either 6x150 with 8 min. rest or 4x50m hill sprints on top of Summer of Malmo
>>
>>37913121
>enough for cutting
>I eat too much
>about 20% bf
>should I change anything

DIET
>>
>>37926965

You're doing everything exactly right. The only thing I would add is that you should periodize your lifting. Strength early season, power mid-season, just light maintainance and maybe add some plyometrics late season/peak season.
>>
>>37926771

The Ghost was an "old reliable" for me when I worked in a running store. Fits a lot of feet well due to nicely padded heel collar and roomy toe box. A bit on the soft side for my liking, lacks "snap." Good cushioning nonetheless, a good price for the durability (should get ~500 miles out of it).
>>
>>37927096
mate, that the glycerin 13 i posted.
>>
>>37927225

Saw G13, haven't paid attention to color ups. You're right.

Glycerin is a little leaner in the toe box, got a bit of extra cush underneath, I think the Ghost is just as good of a shoe for less money but most people find the Glycerin subjectively more comfortable (hence the higher price).
>>
>>37914634

I've run for the last 3 years in my Nike Frees

Prior to them, i had a pair of New Balances that injured me. My Nikes were the thing that got me back on track.

That said, everyone's feet are totally unique, and I recommend you try several different brands and pick what is most comfortable for your style of running. I have a neutral and narrow foot, and I don't like a ton of bounce, so I prefer a shoe like Nike or Adidas or Brooks.
>>
"Pain in one knee" update from last thread:

2 rest days did little, but did a lot of foam rolling and glute work + dynamic warmups and zero pain. Going to just increase my warmups and decrease distance for the next few days and see if that solves it.
>>
>>37927292

Same here -- I have a neutral foot, and average width. I found the really bouncy stuff just didn't jive with my way of running and ran on non-running shoes (Roches) and it wasn't great on my ankles and knees.

Got Free Distances (Nike's not super Free's but with some support foam and hex soles) and they're super great. No discomfort so far.
>>
>>37927268
the guy who helped me said i have 2 weeks return, indoor use. the part under my foot arch on the inside facing part feels a lil high, should i test it on a treadmill or will i eventually just get use to it over time and take it outside.
>>
>>37916936
5ks are a good place to start. I started at 2 miles per workout.

I think you'll find it hard to maintain a 6 day per week workout routine initially though. You might want to add another rest day in there, especially if you have shin splints and low wind starting out. It takes some time to build up the muscles and to condition your body for that much frequency throughout the week.
>>
>>37923400
Are you me, it just happened to my right toe today. Never happened before.

Maybe the extra sweat from running 5k in 105degree heat. Really bad mistake BTW
>>
>>37927325

That's just the insert. Flat ones can be bought if you really want, but it's just floppy foam and won't really do much. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
Gonna start C2-10k but skipping a few weeks in since I'm not in too terrible of shape as is
>>
Just had my first stomach cramp while running, never knew this was a thing, just side stitches.guess i ate and drank too much before. because of this i ended up not running the last 3 minutes out of 5 for the c25k program im running(week 4 btw) what should i do now since i didnt fully complete a day? and how to prevent this.
>>
>>37927892
try again harder tomorrow...
side stitches go away..
>>
When it 2016 and you don't have a mile time under 7 minutes
>>
>>37927967
i wasn't talking about a side stitch. if i go again tomorrow that means i would end up going 3 days in a row on a program that is intended to be done every other day.
>>
>>37927065
Tyvm, do you have any recommendations about plyo routines?

>>37927892
One short day is not going to make a serious difference. Keep going with the program as it is and pretend you completed the workout. If you feel good you can add a little extra time at the end of a session just to raise spirits.
>>
>>37927996
I can barely even run a mile...
>>
What to do when a doggo d decides to chase you while you run?
>>
>>37928655
Run faster
>>
>>37928655

Punt it into an oncoming car. The splatter will cool you down.
>>
Who here has asthma?
>>
Hey guys i have gotten back into cardio after 8 months and ive gone from 95 to 88kg (Before i started running during those 8 months)
I'm now looking at losing weight and ice started running 7km a day in about 32 to 34 minutes (not a treadmill)
however I'm starting to hurt my shins again should i slow the pace or pump through the pain like over been doing the last 2 wreks
>>
how many miles/kms should i do for a morning run?
and is running in 5am good or should i sleep more?
>>
>>37923971
keep in mind 2 miles in 13 mins is the BASELINE and if you go in only just able to do that you will not be able to keep up.
>>
File: runners-high.jpg (110KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
runners-high.jpg
110KB, 1000x667px
>>37930184
DO NOT PUMP THROUGH THE PAIN. That is a surefire way to injury. Slow down, work on your cadence (170-190 bpm is ideal, run to the sound of a metronome app, or download a playlist of music at this speed). Your times for 7km are pretty good, but you should also try and figure out whether the pain is coming from shin splints, or from a sore Tibialis Anterior muscle (the muscle that runs down the outside of your shin bone). Continue to lose weight and it will help. And most importantly make sure you correct any problems in running form.

Check this website out: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Running_Form

It has helped me a lot. I have always been super unfit re. cardio, all my life, but now I'm slowly getting dem cardio gains with all the trimmings. Running is less stressful on my muscles (143lbs recovering drug addict who used to lift and squat almost 3pl8) so you gotta make sure you legs and tendons/joints can support your weight esp. for outdoor running. Stay safe out there y'all.
>>
>>37930213
Run as much as you want/can. I don't see a difference between morning runs and evening/night runs.
Also, I guess it depends at what time you go to sleep? I know I need my 8h for a morning run, so I go to sleep accordingly.

I've gone for up to 28k run starting at 5:30am or so.
>>
File: Skins-Compression-Clothing[1].jpg (26KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
Skins-Compression-Clothing[1].jpg
26KB, 403x403px
Didn't even see the general so here's my question from the fucking thread I made

Is shit like skins or other running clothing beneficial at all?
>>
>>37931824
My only two requirements when picking running clothes are no chafing and light. I don't really care about anything else.
>>
>>37931839
I've just been free-balling in a pair of old trackpants
>>
/Run/

Been getting back on the horse, gotten up to comfortable 10Ks again but I can't help but notice my cum loads have almost disappeared from where they were before.

I haven't changed diet, still staying hydrated, would the running effect my nut? Help lads what if I meet a qt?
>>
>>37931824

I think it's a placebo type thing. I run in a pair of split shorts and no shirt usually. It's light and comfortable enough for me.
>>
So, in a fit of trying to better myself, I signed up for the 5k at the town benefit in a month. Anyone got a couch to 5k in one month pic?
>>
>>37933924
Literally google.

And unless you're fat or extremely out of shape, a non competitive 5k should be like a stroll in the park
>>
>>37933974
Unfortunately, both apply
>>
>>37924563
Whats overtraining?
>>
File: 45647444.jpg (524KB, 1500x2122px) Image search: [Google]
45647444.jpg
524KB, 1500x2122px
>>37934012
ok. A month is enough for good progress though.
If I were you I'd follow weeks 3 through 6 of image related.
During the run segments, don't run fast, just focus on getting the times done. I think this should be good enough, but if you find it too hard, try to do weeks 1 through 4 instead, and just do your best in the race.
>>
ran 5k in 33:03 today..
5k in 32:50 two days ago with rest day in between.
am i doing something wrong?

also, wanting to transition into 10k sessions by the end of this year.

5'11" @ 230 lbs.
>>
>>37936156
Why would you ever try to measure progress by runs within two days of each other? It takes 10-14 days to recover from a run/workout and reap all the benefits of it, so there's no way running two days ago would lead to sudden improvement. Also, that time difference itself can be explained by something as small as a 2-3 degree temperature difference, 5 mph winds, or some humidity. Stop racing all the time and just let you runs be runs. At your level you should be able to see significant progress over the course of a month or two, so maybe every month you can do a time trial, if you really wanted to. I'd be more inclined to just run easy for 10 weeks or so, add some workouts after that phase, and then race 14 weeks from now. You'll feel improvement come along throughout the period and undoubtedly smash your prs in your race.
>>
>>37936551
okay, thank you for the advice!
>>
>>37926965
A decent squat routine could improve your speed but you don't want to add size of your main goal is 800m. What's this 8 min rest business? Also, I doubt 50m is long enough for a hill sprint but I haven't seen the hill.
>>
>>37931824
Compression gear is a waste of money unless you are going for hours at a time in my opinion. They can be a useful recovery tool after a run of you feel you need more than you're getting.
>>
File: 1466787547305.gif (805KB, 257x199px) Image search: [Google]
1466787547305.gif
805KB, 257x199px
Real stupid question coming through
Have any of you found it easier to run, as in found it less tiring, when running faster for the same amount of time??
>>
>>37937823
The 150s are basically at 400 pace, if not slightly faster, so really complete rest is what I need to keep them going. The long rest is there for complete recovery, I'm doing these to develop top-end speed, not as a hard-ass-run-to-the-well 800m workout, so being anything less than fully recovered isn't gonna help me with that. If anything I might consider lengthening rest periods, 6x150 gets really challenging the same way 3x5 Squats does.
>>
>>37938390
It's very possible that your running economy (oxygen use at a certain pace) actually improves slightly if you go a bit faster. Running faster your mechanics might improve--which is likely the result of minimizing up&down motions that may be more exaggerated at a slower pace. Think about it this way, you're running more "horizontal." Obviously there's a limit on this (sadly)
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.