[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't lifting carry over to real world shit? Ive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: Louer_tranquille.jpg (127KB, 1458x625px) Image search: [Google]
Louer_tranquille.jpg
127KB, 1458x625px
Why doesn't lifting carry over to real world shit?

Ive been working a few weekends for extra money doing furniture deliverers and I've noticed my strength from years of lifting isn't really that much better for moving.

There's plenty of skinnyfats im working with that can move the stuff equally as well. Its almost like having all these extra strength is meaningless. The only time it's helped is lifting smaller heavy stuff that I can grip well, but with really large pieces of furniture the weight is eventually spread across the entire thing and my strength is basically limited because I can only lift on side.
>>
Strength =/= Endurance
>>
>well over 1/2/3/4
>over two years of lifting
>still struggle with bringing in groceries
>>
>>36652755
I have the endurance as well.

I do both low rep and high rep training and have for years.

The issue is that with really large bits of furniture the weight is evenly distributed across the entire thing which means I can only hold one side up at a time, even though I could technically deadlifting 30 of them.

How many of you could hold a 20kg barbell up with 1 arm raised in the air?
>>
>>36652747
>go to the gym
>work out
>help uncle move some furniture one day
>shit isnt a perfect symmetrical barbell
>struggle to get a grip on one chair
>LOL ANON TOLD YA ALL THAT TIME IN THE GYM IS WASTED, SHOULDA GOT SOME REAL MUSCLE

what is real muscle guys and how do i acquire it? will it involve me removing my current fake muscle?
>>
>>36652769
>How many of you could hold a 20kg barbell up with 1 arm raised in the air?
Can you draw this in MS paint please, I dont understand.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 295x405px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 295x405px
>>36652803
>>
>>36652747
have you been using the machines instead of free weights
>>
>>36652813
kek'd
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>36652803
Like this, but straight out. Gripping from one end holding it straight in the air.
>>
>>36652841
Nope, I train from home, I don't even have access to machines.

These are all 3x5

70kg OHP
110kg Bench
155kg Squat
210kg Deadlift

I also do the 3x8 and 3x15 for other lifts, so endurance isn't a problem. Can do 15 pullups at 80kg bodyweight as well.
>>
>>36652857
not even a Olympic level lifter could do that
>>
File: 1459838715473.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1459838715473.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>36652857
Fixed
>>
>he doesn't lift for functionality
>>
>>36652747
>Why doesn't lifting carry over to real world shit?
Have the same problem. Still had it when I did 2xBW Bench, 3x BW Squat and 3.5xBW Diddly.

It's just how it is. Lifting doesn't translate well into real life unless you do odd object lifting and stuff.
>>
>>36652747
Sveral reasons:

>Carrying is isometric, lifting isn't
>Good lifting technique = shitty IRL biomechanics
>You train for max strength while IRL physical work needs mostly endurance
>>
>>36652770
>what is real muscle guys and how do i acquire it?
Odd object lifting for endurance, work on a farm, etc.
>>
>>36652747
20 bucks say your dyel and don't squat and/or with proper form.

It's absolutely helped with functional strength like lifting furniture, 10 grocery bags at once, etc.
>>
How do strongmen train for their stuff?

As I type that I realize the answer is probably "lifting up heavy objects and putting them down somewhere else", but what objects are best for efficiency and not injuring yourself?
>>
>>36653135

Mostly strongmen do a ton of gym lifting and outside of that they stick to the stuff they have in their upcoming comps or that they know is a competition staple, because the injury risk is way elevated over normal lifting.
>>
>>36653135
>what objects are best for efficiency
Well, obviously the ones you're gonna haul around. So, if you're a furniture mover, re-arrange your lifing room 3x20 and carry boxes full of shit up and down the stairs 3x20.
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 692x461px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 692x461px
>>36653116
20 bucks pls
>>
>>36653116
50 bucks say you're 100lbs and any physical activity helps you carrying grocery bags (lol).
>>
File: 1040525n.jpg (12KB, 429x357px) Image search: [Google]
1040525n.jpg
12KB, 429x357px
>>36652747
>>36652770
train your grip strenght, idiots
>>
>>36653135
I do strongman, basically 80% of your training will be similar to a powerlifting routine but with emphasis on overhead instead of bench, and quite a bit more cardio. Closer to the comp you doing more events training, so yoke walks, farmers, stones etc depending on what gear you have available. Generally for loading races and that you won't have access to what they are using in the comp until just a few weeks before, sometimes not at all.

In all honesty, lifting definitely carries over to real-world stuff as long as you keep up your cardio.
>>
>>36652769
>the weight is evenly distributed across the entire thing which means I can only hold one side up at a time
if you lift a couch/sofa by one end you put one hand on one side and one hand on the other and lift both - the weight being evenly distributed shouldn't make that harder.
>>
>>36653166
MANLET
A
N
L
E
T
>>
>>36652813
Perfect
>>
File: yeol.gif (7KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
yeol.gif
7KB, 180x180px
That's because you just started OP, EVERYONE finds it harder when they just started, soon enough you're going to find this job easy if you're reasonably strong, quickly too, practice things like power cleans and snatches that'll make your life easier too, you will still how ever have "those days"

Source, working for pic related for 2 years, can lift a concrete base washing machine off the ground and carry it myself
>>
>>36652747
Strength is extremely specific to how it's trained. Compare the World's greatest arm wrestler and the World's greatest shot putter. They're both incredibly strong, but they're not the same person.

Athletes don't just train in the weight room. They build muscle and general strength in the weight room and then do concurrent sports practice in a well thought out manner, in order to allow transfer from one sort of training to the other. This is actually a very important aspect of training athletes - to know how to train in a way that allows transfer to happen.

You can accomplish this to some extend either by implementing odd objects training or certain aspects of Strongman training. Loaded carries for example are great.
Generally you just need to combine the strength training with the activities you want to be good at. If all you do is lift, then that's all you'll be good at (although well-trained you will probably still be better than untrained you - There's always SOME transfer)
>>
>>36653717
>can lift a concrete base washing machine off the ground and carry it myself

Got insurance for hernias?
>>
>>36652766
iktf
>>
File: iklk.gif (3MB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
iklk.gif
3MB, 497x280px
>work in thrift store part-time
>have to get furniture off the truck
>nowhere to grip this damn solid oak armoire
>I catch it just in time before it hits the ground
>"What's the matter, Anon? I thought you worked out."
>mfw
>>
>>36652747
5'11 155lb skinnyfat part time removal man here,

I can do this shit all day long but can't bench more than my bw.
>>
I found this when I got shitty retail jobs when I was younger and lifting
Could squat 2 plate but legs fucking died from just standing up all day
>>
It's like the first time you do farmer's walks.
It's a skill of its own, you get more carry over once you're proficient at both.
>>
>>36652747

I think there is a difference between how much effort you have to put into lifting these things.

Both me and my coworkers can lift our stuff and drag it around ( im a mechatronics engineer).

But i can probably bear the weight more easily than these guys.
>>
>>36652747
Other than strength vs endurance there's also muscles vs tendons, for example guys working construction might not be minmaxed levels of buff like bodybuilders while having tendons like elevator cables
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.