[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm confused. The top cardio meme nowadays is that HIIT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (69KB, 1024x598px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
69KB, 1024x598px
I'm confused. The top cardio meme nowadays is that HIIT is so much better for fat loss than steady state cardio. But most sources I read on energy substrates say that the body uses glycogen stores more for short intense bouts, and fat stores more for longer bouts. In that case, wouldn't steady state cardio be better for cutting?
>>
HIIT is for fat fucks that are afraid that more than 20 min of cardio will kill their gains so they do it hard and short so they go into anaerobic. For actual, real fat burn you want to do long cardio, 40 min or more. A 200 lbs person would burn around 800-1000 cals if they can run 10 km in 1 hour. This is fact
>>
>>36530804
No, hiit is better because in part because it causes the release of growth hormone, which improves body composition (helps add muscle and burn fat)
Some sources you might find interesting:
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/03/best-ways-to-build-endurance-2/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=geVJqKCFk-c
>>
>>36530804
HIIT is for people who are too lazy to do actual cardio, it's why it's always something like LOSE FAT AT HOME WITH THIS 5 MINUTE WORKOUT.
>>
Whatever. If you don't do liis for at least 40 min to actually begin to tap into fat stores I'd say it doesn't matter.

Sure no doubt someone who trains for a marathon has a very high caloric maintenance. But if you aren't that person don't bother. Your deficit will come from eating less not burning more.

Problem with hiit is that you can't do it all day every day.

You can't go run intervals every day on the track. You will burn out mentaly and will probably injure yourself. But you can do liis all week with 1,2 days of hiit.

Aerobic endurance comes from liis
Speed and mental preparation for it come from speedwork and intervals

If you do cardio for fat loss just whatever
>>
>>36531115
What's lazy about doing an exercise that's more efficient?
>>
>>36530804
Just add some plyos in between your normal sets and your fat will shed.
>>
Which is best for stubborn fat?
Or is there no real difference
>>
>>36530804
Start with HIIT (I usually do Tabata method) and then go LISS afterwards. Read it on t-nation, HIIT is for mobilizing fat from cells and LISS is to burn it away. Something like that, google the article if youre interested.
>>
>>36531164
a good diet and exercise. Lower your carb consumption for a bit. dont forget your cheat meals though. at a certain point when all you do is eating right your body can plateau as we all know. a cheat meal will shock your liptid levels which help in fat loss back to the point of normal fat loss.

Hormones are important
>>
>>36531195
isn't the tabata metod based on lies? They claimed things that weren't true I thought this was debunked a while ago
>>
>>36531132
not everything is efficient if it is faster.
>>
>>36531195
>>36531230
http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/01/crossfit-endurance-tabata-sprints-and.html

This I think
>>
The whole burning fat vs burning carbs is kind of a myth. Below a certain percentage of your VO2 max your body will preferentially use fat to make ATP. But at higher intensities you aren't able to combust fat, so you rely on CHO. It doesn't really matter though because at the end of the day it's just calories in vs calories out. The advantage of HIIT is that you can burn the same amount of calories in a shorter amount of time than with LISS because you get your heart rate higher.
>>
>>36531164
Yohimbine is supposed to equalize what fat is burned. It varies person to person, but generally men's body's hold onto fat on the stomach moreso than the rest of the body. Yada yada alpha receptors. Yohimbine stops the mechanism for this. Keep in mind that this doesn't change the amount of fat loss (well it might a little but it's beside the point)
>>
HIIT if you just want to get it over with. LISS if you want some meditation-tier mental gains as well.
>>
>>36531195
Link?
>>
>>36531318
Nvm, this >>36531249 was posted while I was typing.
>>
>>36531318
https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-new-strategies-for-fat-loss
>>36531249
Klokov does tabata, good enough for me. Also, saves me a bunch of time.
>>
>>36531329
Also,
https://www.t-nation.com/training/tabata-method-perfected
I might rely on these guys too much, but they do give some great tips.
>>
Jesus Christ look at all that broscience.
>>
my experience: road cycling
>>
>>36530865
>>36530958
>>36531128

i'm a fatty currently doing couch to 5k, 20 mins of hiit followed by 1 hour of walking which i assume is liss, am i going the right road?
>>
>>36531405
as long as you do something yes. Keep going. It only gets easier
>>
Steady state cardio is pretty much fucking horrible in just about every way. People who take cardio overboard are absolute idiots, and most doctors will tell you that.

Humans were not meant to run long distances. We were given big powerful brains so that would could outsmart the world around us instead of having to outwork it.

When you break it down to real world scenarios, HIIT will clown the fuck out of LISS any day of the weak. I have some friends that run marathons. If we were to get in a fight, I would absolutely murder them. They train to jog 13.1/26.2 miles at a slow and steady pace. I train to EXPLODE for 2-5 minutes at a time.

What likely real world scenarios can you think of that would require you to steadily JOG 26 miles? NOT A FUCKIN' ONE. (INB4: hurr durr left my phone at home, better 'run home' and get it!) Think about scenarios where you need to EXPLODE. Too many situations to list!

Theres a good reason why high level athletes do HIIT... and it's not because of laziness.
>>
>>36531549
let me guess you have a 4 min mile
>>
>>36531549
nigga humans evolved for steady state cardio
they would hunt pray just by walking and wearing it out and then killing it rather than bursting
you're kinda full of shit, aint ya
>>
>>36531549
you know why humans are made for long distance?

We sweat
>>
>>36530804
You do BOTH.

You start with LISS, ramping up the mileage every week, then after a while you start adding in sprints. Trains different parts of your aerobic fitness.
>>
>>36531549
Lmao neckbeard
I can wreck you.
The only time you "explode" is a trip to your toilet.
>>
>>36530804
Calories are calories. If you consume more by doing cardio, you'll lose fat. Maybe not that exact moment, but it will average out.
The only things you can realistically do are eating less and moving more, but if you switch HIIT with LISS (with the same caloric price), the results will be the same.
You might get some minimal gains and more work capacity at high intensity out of HIIT, which would help in the gym too, so you're better off HIITting, unless you have some other reason like partecipating in a marathon or something.
>>
>>36531549
try outrunning a gazelle, then tell me how we were meant for exploding lol
>>
>>36531549
>I'm too intelligent and thoughtful to lift or run, that's for meatheads

>2016: Listening to what doctors tell you
(most doctors will tell you what is SAFEST, not what is MOST BENEFICIAL, because they don't want to get sued for malpractice when someone fucks themselves up)

>Theres a good reason why high level athletes do HIIT... and it's not because of laziness.
Confirmed for not knowing a single goddamned actual athlete, and lumping all athletes together based on shaky assumptions

You really need to shut up, you really don't know what you're talking about. And you're probably fat. And weak.
>>
>>36530804

LISS is better because you can perform more of it, therefore you can burn more total fat

HIIT is more efficient at burning fat, but you can't do it for long periods, so total fat loss is minimal

/thread please
>>
>>36531549
>Humans were not meant to run long distances

Funny thing is it's literally the opposite of that.
>>
>>36531637
kek'd irl
>>
>>36531705
Anaerobic intervals (what you all call HIIT) is good for raising your total aerobic capacity, but long, slow miles (what you call LISS) builds overall endurance. You should do BOTH for optimal endurance and cardiac efficiency.
>>
>>36531705
Please go look at some studies that compare the two. 15 minutes of HIIT is more effective than over 2 hours of LISS. Plus, HIIT spares pretty much all of your muscle whereas LISS will cause you to lose more muscle.
HIIT is also better for endurance (not joking), general cardiovascular health, and it's better for your joints because while it's high impact, it does not last long.
>>
>>36531807
effective at what?
>>
>>36531807
Why not do both in the same workout and just eat more to cover the energy expenditure and prevent muscle loss, and be that much more fit overall?
>>
>>36531549
What happens when you haven't stopped the guy in 4 minutes and now your winded? He is going to pick you apart.
>>
>>36531549
dank bait my man
>>
>>36531549
go ahead and tell a doctor how much you squat

I bet he will will tell you it's ok to squat lmao1pl8 and is healthy
>>
>>36531807
>15 minutes of HIIT is more effective than over 2 hours of LISS

Phd in broscience right here
>>
What about for health rather than fat loss?

I tend to finish up at the gym with using the rowing machine, doing 2,000 metres as fast as I can. Is this beneficial to my heart/lungs?
>>
>>36532155
I'd say swimming.
>>
>>36532175

Yeah, I looked into swimming because it's also low impact and works the whole body. Unfortunately, there's no pool nearby.
>>
>>36532155
Yeah, that's good for your heart and lungs, bud. I'd say go for both, honestly. Switch it up for cardio. Just don't go overboard on either one.
>>
>>36532155
It's better than not doing it. Cardio of any kind is by definition good for your cardiovascular system. But the difference is in what gets trained most by what type. I think that LISS is better for muscular endurance while HIIT improves VO2 max more efficiently.
>>
Just do sled pulls with varying weight and distance. You can do it almost everyday because even after 3+ miles of pulling up hills and through fields the doms dont happen
>>
>>36530804
i just do 30 mins of liss every day and my body composition is improving, it's almost effortless, i just listen to music while i cycle or brisk walk.
>>
>>36531549
>humans were not meant to run long distances

What are you even talking about? Humans practiced persistence hunting, which means they ran steadily after faster animals until the fast animal collapsed from exhaustion.

That said, HIIT is a much more effective exercise in almost every way.
>>
do both and figure out what works for you. don't be a pussy
>>
File: 1458015372711.png (15KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458015372711.png
15KB, 640x480px
5x5 fork putdowns
>>
>>36531807
You're full of shit, I will burn almost 2000 calories on a 2 hour run, if you can find a 15 min HIIT workout that can do the same you would be a fitness millionaire in 6 months.
>>
>>36531230
The problem is no body does tabata coreectly. It has to be done on a bike, it's extremely difficult to get the the necessary intensity using any other method. What most people refer to as tabata is a just 20 seconds of moderate activity
>>
>>36532842
well you can do asylum 4 times in a span of 2 hours...
>>
>>36532842
>I will burn almost 2000 calories on a 2 hour run

no you won't
>>
>>36533067
I'm 225lbs and run 8 minute miles as a standard training pace. If you use the standard formula of BW x 0.66 per mile, 2k calories is about right.
>>
>>36533067
yes you will. This was tested on people hooked up with masks that measure their oxigen burn rate on treadmills.
>>
>>36532920
But the whole point of HIIT is to be quick.
>>
>>36531233
you stupid fuck, efficient is fast by mere definition.
>>
File: gb2skewl.jpg (36KB, 384x259px) Image search: [Google]
gb2skewl.jpg
36KB, 384x259px
>>36531233
>>
I usually run 2 miles at 13-14 minutes a few times a week. If I were to switch to HIIT, what would my routine be?
>>
>>36531637
holy fuck kekm8
>>
You know all those fancy hormonal benefits you get from doing HIIT? You get those exact same benefits every time you lift weights.

Doing HIIT ONTOP of lifting is tapping into the same resources and activating the same benefits.

If you lift _ do LISS

If you don't lift _ do HIIT and LISS
>>
>>36531549
>Humans were not meant to run long distances
Long distance is basically the only thing humans can do better than other species
>>
>>36537967
Are you saying I'll get EVEN MORE hormones?
Holy shit sign me up
>>
>>36538076
No.

You're just having training overlap which is pointless and can negatively impact your lifting. If you value your lifting progression avoid HIIT and stick with basic LISS.

>HIIT and Lifting weights = anaerobic

pick one

>LISS and MISS = aerobic

pick one
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.