[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ever acceptable to point out dangerous flaws in a stranger's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

Is it ever acceptable to point out dangerous flaws in a stranger's form?

>last night
>ask to work in with kid deadlifting because I was short on time
>he agrees
>seen him before, he's a fairly new lifter but puts in effort
>loads up 225 and starts his set
>mixed grip with bent elbows
>jerking the bar instead of squeezing it off the floor
>hitching
>repeats this with 275
>again with 2 grotesque reps at 315

It was painful watching him and I wanted to let him know what he was doing wrong. I didn't say anything because I didn't know him well, and didn't want to be THAT GUY. Is it better to let people learn the lesson the hard way?
>>
I never say anything. I figure If I make mistakes and learn from them, others can/will too.

Takes a lot of self control not to say something sometimes though. People have pretty atrocious deadlift and squat form.
>>
Depends on the person.
this girl was doing upright rows with the worst form imaginable and I told her to be careful shit will wreck your shoulders.
she kept doing it anyway. havn't seen her in the gym since.

But I helped a guy with his squat form and he thanked me and we've been good buds since. But yeah 98% of the time I just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>36431917
if they are seconds away from buying their ticket to snap city then yes
>>
I would take no offense at all if someone politely corrected my form and potentially stopped me from a major injury.
>>
I say let them be. Most people have an obnoxious attitude at the gym for whatever reason so just put the blinders on, headphones in, and do your own thing. Don't give advice to girls on account of them having a vagina either. Plenty of guys have done that before you and they'll just be annoyed and not change anything.

I had a extended period of time where I felt a strong urge to compliment women when they had good squat form. I'm glad I never followed through because it seems cringy in retrospect.
>>
File: 1.jpg (386KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
386KB, 1080x1920px
>>36432075
Depends on the person. Some skinnyfat faggot can go to hell. But if dude in pic gave me pointers, I'd fucking listen.
>>
Sometimes, you can only learn things the hard way. If you knew him, it might be cool to say something, but if he's loading almost 300 pounds and not trying to get better form that his own problem.

Do you lift significantly more than him?
>>
Some guy once tried to say my bench form was wrong could possibly herniated discs in my back (I watched the "so you think you can bench press" vids and went with a powerlifting form, arching my back as much as I could while keeping my ass on the bench). This guy also half repped the fuck out of squats and his back looked like a scared cat when he deadlifted 275.

So if you say something to them don't act like you know everything. Politely inform them that you aren't a professional but their form looks like it could potentially cause injury and suggest they watch some videos in proper form, or something like that. I don't really know what to do because I've never offered advice to anyone just out of the blue.
>>
I'm among the bigger and stronger dudes at my gym (180 pounds at 5'9" lean enough for visible six pack abs and tricep cuts, benching 315, squatting 405, dl 465)
I'm also pretty friendly and it's a relatively small gym, so I know many of the people.
It's pretty common for everybody to trade training tips and routines, and for the more experienced lifters to help the newer lifters.
>>
>>36431917
Just don't be that guy at the gym that gives 30 minute long explanations. That the guy everyone hates. Be concise and polite and make it a suggestion not an obligatory task
>>
>>36432235
>dude why are you squatting 150kg on your neck
>heh, fuck off skinnyfat
>>
>Is it ever acceptable to point out dangerous flaws in a stranger's form?

YES

>start lifting
>squatting because fuck machines
>noobgains
>4 months in
>biggest fucking guy in gym comes around
>"heya, good progress on your weightloss been watching you, but"
>starts pointing out flaws in my squat form
>helps me with some tips on benching
>talking in the shower
>"why didnt you point this out to me earlier ?"
>"I thought you would quit after a month or two and didnt want to waste my time."
>"t-t-thanks"

If a guy is doing something that could get him injured, then speak up.
At worst you'll get blown off, then just respond with "aight hf in snap city brah"
>>
>>36431917
it really depends on the guy's personality, there's always the chance you come off as a douche bag with unrequested advice.
>>
>>36432243

I'm considerably stronger. 2/3/4/5
>>
>>36431917
A few days ago someone at the gym helped me and my friends on the deadlift. Our form was way off and he showed us how to do it correctly. He wasn't a dick about it, just trying to be helpful. I was thankful.
>>
File: 02-instagram-hair-rollers.jpg (94KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
02-instagram-hair-rollers.jpg
94KB, 640x640px
Yes but you have to be sociable about it like with everything, especially with strangers..

When you have that likable, honest, open, funny, warm personality and reputation you can say anything you want and people will forgive you.
When you don't, you can mean well and people will spit in your face or when you are too bulked up and serious for them to spit at you, they will hate you and tell lies about you anyways

It's all a game and genetics as always dictate 80%. Chesty was never too different from Zyzz but he didn't have the face to match the personality and so he landed face first on the asphalt, same for Seid

More important question is how to not want to commit suicide because you will never in2 kloss gf
>>
>>36431917
Anyone who isn't a fag will appreciate it.

The old guy who takes care of my gym gave me some deadlifting tips and it was pretty swell. He's like my own personal Scooby.
>>
>>36431917
depends

if they're significantly smaller than you, yes
if they're around the same size/bigger than you, open with something like "take this with a grain of salt, and by all means do your own research, but.." then fix their form

if they don't listen and fuck their shit up, well at least you tried.
it's like giving money to a homeless dude, yeah they might use it on drugs but you still did a good thing
>>
>>36432370
Kek
>>
File: 1454047907696.jpg (181KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1454047907696.jpg
181KB, 750x750px
Depends
>deadlift day
>see lanklet DLing 315
>ask to work in
>he agrees
>warm up with his work set
>ask if it's ok to load up to 365
>he says sure
>I do my set
>he tries to pull 365
>bent back like a rainbow, poor drive, did not tell him
>finally gets it up
>I load up 385, do my set of 3
>he couldn't pull it
>I go up to 4 plates, 1 rep
>he nods in approval
>we deload, he pulls 365 poorly again
>I correct him after his set, saying he hadn't got enough drive from his legs
>he's receptive, but didn't say that he's going to change his routine
>never seen him again

>squat day
>waiting on squat rack
>asian squatting 2 plates
>uneven bars, not parallel, poor mobility
>correct him
>he's extremely receptive
>thanks me even though he hasn't seen me squat 3 plates
>sees him squatting lower weights and better form street a few days
>we greet each other

I don't fucking know man. There are some faggots that just won't listen and others that are genuinely trying to improve themselves, and it's tough to gauge what their reaction would be without talking to them.
>>
People have told me how to improve my form. I listened. No one wants a broken fucking back.
>>
>>36432490
>good progress on your weightloss, been watching you

stopped reading right there. Enough with your gay softcore essays dipshit
>>
>>36432490
>talking in the shower
>>
>>36431917
>Hey, man, do you mind if I give you some advice?

If yes, advise, if no, don't advise.
>>
File: pancakes.gif (2MB, 300x245px) Image search: [Google]
pancakes.gif
2MB, 300x245px
>>36436942
>If yes, advise, if no, don't advise
>Hey, man, do you mind if I give you some advice?
>No, I don't mind at all.
>Never mind, you'll have plenty of time to reflect on your mistakes in snap city faggot
>>
>>36438542
why is prince so good at looking disgusted and unimpressed/annoyed?

this is like the 5th gif of him i've seen conveying these emotions
>>
>>36431917
I Don't fucking bother OP.

I've maybe been asked twice about form from people in the Gym who see me squatting or deadlifting well.

All the other times I'm surrounded by people with magazine-fuelled gym knowledge. I can honestly tell you there is currently a guy in my workplace who drinks nothing but Kale smoothies telling me he's going to get shredded from them without needing to do time in the gym.
>>
File: squat-quads.png (32KB, 464x507px) Image search: [Google]
squat-quads.png
32KB, 464x507px
Yes it is. But only if you are 100% sure you know what the fuck you're talking about. Any doubt -> just stfu.

I've had this skinny ass faggot telling me I should squat more reps with less weight even though I was specifically doing strength training at the time. Also telling me pic related.

Then again one time this one old-ass geezer just gave me a couple of accurate pointers about my form and it felt very helpful. I later learned he used to compete on the national level some decades ago.
>>
>>36431917
just like anything in life, it's not what you say, but how you say it. if you talk down or seem pretentious, they will ignore the most factual statements.

you just have to ask yourself, who am I doing this for? if it's to make yourself feel better, look cool or show off, then don't do it.
>>
>>36431917
Don't bother OP. The best lesson while come when he slips a disk.
>>
Correct their form. They might be like me, and ignore your advice, but like me they will eventually come to injury and learn to do better. They'll only know, though, if someone comes along and tells them what they're doing wrong, and often the Internet just isn't enough.
>>
>>36431917
I wouldn't stand by and let someone lift with shitty form. A lot of people are so anti-social they hate any interaction, add on the fact that you are telling them they are wrong and you have yourself a good fucking mess, but better to help save someone from themselves than stand by and do nothing.
>>
Just ignore it. These people have all the power of the internet and gym trainers and they still have shit form, at this point its natural selection at work
>>
>>36431917

I think at times it's acceptable, but I'm not gonna be the one to do it.

I remember seeing this dude who was obviously a new lifter. He was trying to squat, and literally every-fucking-thing was wrong about his form. At the bottom of the lift he was so bent over that his back was actually parallel with the floor. Just one of his legs would cave inward every rep. He was somehow raising the weight unevenly so that one side would be a a foot higher than the other in the middle of pressing it up.

The dude in the rack next to him was a friend of mine, really nice, really huge, and he was squatting 405 ATG with perfect form. He didn't say shit. So, I decided I wouldn't bother either.

I kinda wish I would have said something. Not because the guy was gonna hurt himself. He was only using like 95 lbs. I just feel like at some point he tried to add weight, finally lost his balance like I thought he would every rep, got embarrassed, and quit lifting.
>>
>tfw slipped a disk during DL due to poor form ~2 months into liftan
>never want to experience that pain again, actually ask regulars for advice on DL form
>never had problems since
feels good man
>>
File: 1447217813861.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447217813861.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>shorter, younger guy asks for help on squats
>does a little shuffle with his feet before he gets under the bar
>looks straight at the ceiling
>doesn't squat even to parallel

>only told him to be more careful with his foot placement

Rome wasn't built in a day, when people ask for help and you see them doing something wrong, it's all about planting the seed in their head... If you get autistic and exclaim a novel's worth of information they're going to get pissed off, but if you see someone jeopardizing their safety just give one tip and try to help them go in the right direction as they're hard headed enough not to learn from the beginning.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.