[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did lifting kill my life-long love for video games? I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

File: 923095902395025.jpg (78KB, 640x808px) Image search: [Google]
923095902395025.jpg
78KB, 640x808px
Why did lifting kill my life-long love for video games?

I really desperately want to enjoy video games but I just can't, I feel really awful when I play them for some reason since I started lifting. I almost feel guilty in a way. It's really baffling, did lifting do this to any of you guys?
>>
Because improving your character in the game was a substitute for improving yourself. Now that you are improving yourself you get no pleasure from the game
>>
>>36391059
yup, it doesn't feel the same. The only time I enjoy video games now is when i have friends over and we play co-op or vs shit.
>>
>>36391064
Wow that actually makes sense. Even more so that my main interest with games was MMORPGs. I feel like lifting has replaced my MMO'ing in way. I look at lifting and improving stats of my lifts and bodyfat etc as goals and progress to track.
>>
>>36391064
>>36391059

Mfw recognizing myself in this
>>
>>36391059
Nah two of my 3 biggest hobbies are gaming and lifting. And the guy I personally know with the biggest lifts plays a lot of games as well and was on his varsity wrestling team. I've been lifting for 8 or so years and gaming for like 20.

I think it depends on why you played them maybe. I like that they one to one reward effort just like lifting. Lift get bigger, play get better. It's not like other aspects of life, you can put in the most hours and work the hardest but get passed over for promotion you know?

Plus especially with fighting games I really enjoy the one on one competition.
>>
>>36391092
>It's not like other aspects of life, you can put in the most hours and work the hardest but get passed over for promotion you know?

That only happens if your social skills are shit.
>>
>>36391059

>tfw you realize that you just replaced one addiction with another
>tfw lifting is just IRL grinding

At least my posture isn't fucking awful anymore. Still play sometimes, but rarely go past an hour.

>tfw you used to play for 8,9, or 10 hours straight

What the fuck was I thinking?
>>
>>36391127
You mean if you dont lick people's ass'
>>
>>36391139
You think the office Chad who always gets the promotions and bonuses and credit for the work licks peoples asses? HAHAHAHAHA NO.

I am some what of a mini-chad at my work and there's a milf boss who really likes me over the guys and always picks me to do stuff. I don't even do anything, I just get a long with her well and shes obviously got some kind of crush on me. She always wants me presenting stuff and show-casing things to clients and I am not even the smartest or most qualified at the job in my group.
>>
>>36391059
>tfw lifting for a year now
>tfw even more into vidya games than I was before

Just got FFIX, gonna play the shit out of it
>>
>>36391127
Not necessarily. Nepotism is definitely a thing.

Especially with stuff like cushy government jobs. I don't know how it is where you live. But where I live most of them are decided before they're ever advertised and then they legally have to go through a "process" before it inevitably goes to someone's son or daughter that already works there.

I'm not the type to say everything is out of my hands or anything man. I'm just saying all of the 70 dollar an hour with highschool education jobs at the local powerplant go to the son or daughter of someone already working there. All of them.
>>
>>36391165
Your progress must be going shit in the gym if you're still needing to distract yourself with video game progression. 1 year lifting, my guess is you hit that "noob gains" wall and now you're tired of progressing in the gym? too hard to progress now that noob gains is over huh? need to get that feeling of progress from games again huh?

:)
>>
>>36391059
holy fuck brah u just described me
>>
So many truthbombs in this thread.
>>
>>36391059
>play videogames
>lift 1/2/3/and working on 4 plate dl
>Jerk off every day
>Fuck my Italian fuckbuddy a few times a week
>Just got promoted at work
>Now make over $70k a year
>Taking a month off of work here soon
>Told everyone I'm going to another country for vacation
>Actually just gonna lift, jerkoff, and play video games lol

Livin' the dream.
>>
I really think you guys are using games as a scapegoat. I have a pretty solid body and I still enjoy gaming. You don't have to give up everything else in order to lift.
>>
Making fitness a priority is just a phase everyone goes through. Youre all going to get back into vidya eventually. It might even slip your mind and just be some apps on your phone, but youre gonna game, and when you do dont sweat it. Have fun.
>>
>>36391059
>looking back at all the fun times playing games
>staying up all night and playing online with friends
>grabbing some McDonald's halfway through the night with them then returning home to continue to play

My body clock won't even allow me past 10pm anymore, I'm doing well financially, just graduated from medical school and I'm /fit/.

I know it feels strange but the fun I had then seems like it was more than that which I have now
>>
>>36391213
>Making fitness a priority is just a phase everyone goes through. Youre all going to get back into vidya eventually.

Lifting since 2010 here consistently for nearly 6 years straight.

I haven't touched games since. Before then I was playing "hardcore" and "competitive" PC games for 10+ hours a day. Lifting literally demolished my desire for playing games and it's never come back. I never even intended on quitting games, it just happened and 6 years later I just realized I haven't touched a game at all and have absolutely zero desire to.

It's not a time issue or anything, I just don't feel like games. I'd rather shit post on 4chan instead.
>>
>>36391218
>I know it feels strange but the fun I had then seems like it was more than that which I have now

I think it's partly because you have more free time and less responsibilities.
>>
>>36391232
It seems like some people like to pour all their energy into one hobby and others like to spread it out.

I can leave work, hit the gym come home eat, play street fighter for a couple hours then sleep and be fairly satisfied with my day.
>>
>>36391299
Oh, I have plenty of energy left over. It's just that I don't want to spend it playing games anymore.

Maybe I just grew out of them at the exact same time I started lifting.

I am 28 now, started lifting at 22.

If anything I'd say I replaced games with 4chan.
>>
>>36391059
ITT: No one realising games form a dopamine rush addiction and not understanding that lifting, being fit and healthy evens out your brain chemicals.
>>
>>36391064
Jesus fucking christ.
This is one of the most true things I ever read here.
Recently I started caring more about appearance, inproving real world skills etc. instead of playing. And now it's like I don't even want to play vidya. The excitement of levelling and fighting a character is gone.
>>
>only ever enjoyed social games
>mmo communities have gone to shit and competitive game communities have always been shit
i miss video games
>>
>>36391064
whoa
>>
>>36391307
That's fair. To be honest 4chan is only a sometimes thing for me, it's one of the only things I can do that makes me feel like I truly wasted my time.

I keep coming back because sometimes the conversations are good, but if I take an hour out of my day and just sift through shitposts, racebaiting and other garbage it just feels like a waste.
>>
File: 1453426474575.jpg (51KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
1453426474575.jpg
51KB, 604x340px
>>36391059
Is this pic suppossed to be sad or something? it's so common for parents to have facebook now, i still live with my parents (19) and we have 3 dogs. If any of them sent me something like i would just smile and reply with "lol i'll come by 8" or something

oh wait i forgot you get severe drepression if you don't move out the moment you hit 18 in 'murica

My brother moved out when he was 26, 1 year later and he's happily married to a qt chemist

damn it feels good to not hate my parents.
>>
>>36391170
Not evwn that guy,but

>huh :) Huh xD HUHUHUH??
>>
>>36391064
Someone have that cap of the guy who goes further into detail on this point? I think it was a /v/ post but it shits on everyone there.
>>
>used to stay up to date with all game news
>would keep tabs on all games im looking forward to
>had consoles and pc
>stay up all night playing with online and irl friends

now my pc is used for study and i havent bought a current gen console yet. priorities change i guess, life went from games and occasional study in a shit degree to gym/work/study in a good degree.
>>
>>36391384
Same here.

I actually enjoy studying and doing well in uni. It's a really huge change from back when I was in highschool years ago and just wanting to go home and play video games.
>>
Man, same thing happened to me.

I started to get serious about lifting a month ago and the week before it was like hours daily with vidya.

But now nothing, haven't touched it in weeks. 0 interest.

Yet I still waste time on 4chan, win some lose some I suppose.
>>
>>36391307
>If anything I'd say I replaced games with 4chan.

this. I cycle between boards over the years picking up new hobbies, /fit/ was one of the first after vidya. This place cops a lot of criticism but its made me a pretty well rounded kind of guy, from games to lifting to film to music to politics
>>
>>36391348
>be american
>18th birthday is tomorrow
>come home drunk from night out with friends
>crash on bed
>hear some rustling through the night
>wake up naked on the floor of my now empty room
>parents have packed all my shit into boxes
>tell me to move out
>happy 18th birthday anon we love you
>>
>>36391401
It's not an american thing.

It's more of a Anglo/Aryan thing.
>>
>>36391064
This so much.
>>
>>36391059
Lifting didn't my enjoyment of video games, but now for the past couples of years I just end up falling asleep when I try to play one. I kind of miss being able to sit down for a solid 4 hours and just enjoy a game.
>>
>>36391059
Lifting didn't kill it, growing up did
>>36391064
Also this
>>
Think about it from this perspective, billions of years ago cells divided in the primordial soup etc etc evolution then a few hundred thousand years ago early man appeared, Millenia of technological advancement, computers are invented and finally after all that the modern game console is made. Now we can enter living breathing worlds running on a chip the size of your fingernail.

It's incredible, it's actually mind boggling to think of all the things that had to occur for modern games to exist. But no, you go ahead and ignore the most impressive human accomplishment and invention to ever exist. Go and lift heavy things like a caveman could have 100,000 years ago you stupid fucking idiot.
>>
seriously. Last week I didn't go to the gym for 4 days and spent the entire time playing fallout. It was the most fun I've had in about a year.

fuck real life desu
>>
>>36391579
im waiting on the next wither 3 dlc, when that comes im sure ill have to take the week off then after that return to no vidya.

occasional binges on something new is nice
>>
>>36391464
Strong mental gymnastics for wasting your life away playing pointless video games.
>>
>>36391160
penetrate her
>>
>>36391064
Pretty much this, I was so interested in games that involved learning new skills and training to do more in-game, but once I started a path towards self-improvement, it just became a thing of the past. I very rarely play video games now, rather watching youtubers play them, because its just nostalgic to play any games anymore.
>>
>>36391059
I played vidya, but not RPG's so the self-improvement thing doesn't really apply to me.

I dunno, it's weird. I enjoy them when I do play them. I bought Ayy Lmao: Isolation last year and played about 2 hours, thought it was great, and then shelved it and haven't really played a game since.

I think you just get older, man. And put away childish things.
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (29KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
29KB, 200x200px
>>36391059
Hey OP, if you miss the feeling of vidya/RPGs IRL, you might want to check out the book "Level up your life" by Steve Kamb. It basically gamifies life, it's a cute if somewhat nerdy concept. Also a short and somewhat entertaining read, even though the self-help vibe is evident.
(You can even get it from the bay of pirates or yknow)
>>
>>36392754
I posted something along those lings on /r9k/ a while back, didn't know it was a book.

I basically told them that they've mained Intelligence but forgot to level up Strength and Charisma, so it's no wonder they're not doing well on gf quests.
>>
>>36391059

For me its like this:

I love lifting and i love playing video games.

But somehow i still feel bad playing vidya. Like, i actually enjoy it but i feel guilty as you described it.

Its because you have probably matured a lot with lifting, so when you play video games too much you realize that is somethign "losers" do or something like that.

I feel the same desu.
I hate work, but i feel good having a job.

I love video games, but i feel bad playing Kerbal Space program for 6 hours straight.

Its all natural man, we feel the same. It means you have set your priorities right. You enjoy and love video games, but you know it is definetely not the best thing to invest your money and time in.
>>
>>36391165
FFIX is the fucking shit mate!

Some of you faggots have just developed some hatred for video games thinking you have some kind of superiority.
>>
>>36392788
>Some of you faggots have just developed some hatred for video games thinking you have some kind of superiority.

And yet you go and run your mouth like that to demonstrate your clear inferiority. Amazing.
>>
File: 1457518230648.jpg (31KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457518230648.jpg
31KB, 480x640px
>>36391403
>>
>>36391059

Shitty games killed my life-long love for video games. Besiege and Alien: Isolation were the only two games in the whole of the last 12 months that were actually any good. 90% of the market is derivative trash. Superhot is the only thing that actually looks good, but it's not a 100 hour game.

Same thing goes for movies and pop music though so maybe I just got old.
>>
>>36392892

Kerbal Space program is potentially a 1000 hour game heh
>>
>>36391464
Why are you so keen on evolving everything that us filthy humans get our hands on except our own damned bodies?!
>>
>>36391064
> 8th grade level psychology
> fit is blown away by the insight

top cuck
>>
>>36391348
maybe the kid's off at college or something
>>
>>36391064
so ture
>>
I'm glad that this thread came up because I realized that the same thing happened to me.

I used to play a lot of MMOs and I was watching Star Citizen like a hawk. Ever since I started running and strength training, my desire to play games has diminished considerably. I still enjoy lurking various boards in my free time, but I have no drive to play games.

Its not exactly rocket science though. The gains I've made in real life are much more satisfying then vidya gains.
>>
I still love video games myself. Maybe you're just broken? Or you're one of the /fit/ autists that is incapable of having multiple interests.

>>36391064
That only applies to RPGs, and even then improving your character was rarely the goal of the game.
>>
>>36391207
You forgot:
>lie on the internet
>shitpost on /fit/
>>
>>36391059
Its cos video games went to shit
No srsly games suck now
>>
>>36391127
Not necessarily. Not sure what line of work you're in but there are often several underlying reasons for who gets selected for promotions.
>>
>>36393158
Fucking this. I've seen /fit/ be a relatively intelligent bunch, but these fucks are shitting themselves over some shit that sounds like it was pulled from /r/motivation or whatever.

Also I still lift and play vidya. Shit's cash
>>
>>36391059
Video games are pretty shit right now tbqh famalam
>>
>>36391059
lifting didn't, your crippling body dysmorphia incurring your depression did
>>
>>36395919

I don't even enjoy the supposedly good video games. The last 2 games I bought were GTA5 and Fallout 4, and get bored of both after playing 20 minutes.
>>
File: gosh_golly.png (104KB, 557x483px) Image search: [Google]
gosh_golly.png
104KB, 557x483px
Maybe you just don't like vidya as much anymore. I mean, Fallout 4 was pretty shite in regards, and the only fun games I enjoy are Rainbow Six: Seige and Red Orchestra 2.
>>
>>36396011
>Click here
I bought rainbow six yesterday. And that game is seriously difficult and frustating, sucks to die and wait 5 min for respawn
>>
File: 1455238991253.jpg (24KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1455238991253.jpg
24KB, 612x612px
>>36391059
it wasn't lifting that killed my love, it was life. At the age of 17 I stopped caring for games. If anything, I enjoy them more now than when I was between the ages of 17-21. I still don't like them as much as I had when I was a kid, but I enjoy relaxing to a game. It has always been in my life and probably always will, no matter how disinterested in them I may get. Lifting for 3 years now.
>>
>>36395919
It's true. More like shitty interactive movies.
>>
>>36391160
m8 you sure you're not impostor syndroming yourself?
>>
>>36391059
>>36396035
This, pretty much. Lifting isn't killing your love for video games, it's growing up.
>>
File: 1457650656380.jpg (24KB, 640x473px) Image search: [Google]
1457650656380.jpg
24KB, 640x473px
>>36391391
How do I into enjoy studying?
Pls help
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.