[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/, /adv/ told me to come here and ask this, so I figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Fast-Weight.jpg (88KB, 475x344px) Image search: [Google]
Fast-Weight.jpg
88KB, 475x344px
Hey /fit/, /adv/ told me to come here and ask this, so I figure I will...

Can someone explain to me what's "so bad for you" when it comes to losing weight quickly? I'm on a pretty intensive diet right now, and I've lost 15 lbs in just over 3 weeks, which my coworkers and some other friends are saying "is terrible for me." Last year I did the same diet, and I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks.

I feel absolutely fine, my energy is solid, and I have no problems that I'm aware of, plus I'm finally down from being borderline obese to having a healthy, normal BMI, which seems to me to be a lot more important than "losing weight too fast."

Is there something terrible that's going to hit me that I'm unaware of?
>>
loose skin
>>
>>36268946
Really nothing. If you care about it: Losing weight quickly usually means that you will also lose more muscle mass. Apart from that most of the things that are supposed to happen are myths created by fatties in desperate need of yet another excuse. Including >>36268960 btw.
>>
>>36268960

My skin seems to have stayed pretty elastic and I'm down to 173, with only about 10 more lbs that I plan to lose. There's nothing loose on me. I shouldn't have that to worry about if I'm just losing 10 more, right?
>>
>>36268946
generally, people starve themselves, lose a bunch of weight, then lose a bunch of willpower and bounce right back.
I'm not saying that's what happened to you, but what happened to the 25lbs you lost last year?
>>
>>36268946
It can damage your kidneys
>>
>>36268960
Can't you get surgery for that?
>>
>>36268983

Yeah, I mean, I'm never going to be shredded or commit myself to adding a ton of muscle like a lot of /fit/ because I simply don't care. But, I've been working out and I definitely have way more muscle than when I sat around like a lump, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything important.
>>
>>36268999
trips asking the important questions
>>
>>36268999

I gained back about 7 lbs, but kept most of it off. I went back on the diet to kill off the remaining weight.

My biggest problem is my alcoholism - I'd dump like 3,000 empty calories in my body every day, just from beer and Jagermeister, and when I'm on these diets, I cut out the booze too. All in all it seems like a big benefit to my health.

I won't ever be able to cut the booze entirely out of my life but that's a different discussion... just have to do my best to control it.
>>
>>36268999
What this anon said. Other than that, if you can keep the weight off and not go on a reatrded binge afterwards it's actually healthier to lose it quickly.
>>
>>36268946

The problem with crash dieting isn't the fact that it's hard on the body - the human body is an extremely resilient machine. Short of losing a limb it can bounce back from almost anything.

The danger is rebounding. Because you're not taking the time to dissolve your bad habits you're more likely to just eat your way back up to your previous weight. You'll gorge yourself after you're done with your extreme cut because you feel like you 'earned it'.

The question is, did you keep off the ~20 (because 5 of those pounds was water weight) in that year time-span? If you didn't, go low and slow to build up healthy habits.

>>36268960

This is a misconception.

The thing is is that it takes time for loose skin to retract. The reason it appears that losing weight slowly circumvents loose skin is because - if you lose the weight slowly enough - the skin retracts at the rate you're losing mass.

If you drop weight quickly, the skin will retract just as much as it would before (and will actually do so faster) - the problem is that you'll have those skin sheets while waiting for it to retract.

Example:

>Lose 100 pounds over 12 months
>No loose skin at the end

>Lose 100 pounds over 4 months
>Loose skin takes an additional ~6 months to fully retract

This is really only a problem if you're super morbidly obese. Class 1 and some Class 2 obese individuals barely have any loose skin after they're done - Class 3 is guaranteed to have those skin folds regardless of what they do.
>>
>>36269154

Yeah, like I said, sans the 7 lbs (apply whatever % you want to water weight), I kept most of it off. Most of my life I'd been generally skinny, but I ballooned up to that 210+ range when I was unemployed and had nothing better to do but drink and order in Chinese food and pizzas, and stay in my bed playing video games.

I think the "earned it" stuff is bullshit, and I also don't think of myself as a naturally fat person. I like food, but generally the stuff that I like isn't your fast food/processed garbage, and I don't like to snack.

That ~215 I was at was the largest I've ever been in my life, I'd always been sub-200 up until the end of '14. Thus why I don't think I'd have been class 2 or 3 obese, maybe not even class 1 obese. I'm 5'11.
>>
>>36269077
Ahhh there it is.

Stop drinking Anon

There are always alcoholics making threads trying to find a way to be healthy day despite poisoning themselves daily.

The reason you feel good is because you aren't drinking. For both your physical well-being and mental you should try incremental changes that you can sustain in the long term.

The reason your friends are telling you it's unhealthy is because you are going from one extreme to another, a raging alcoholic to a crash dieter. And they know your personality,that you will eventually go back to drinking and not sustain the extreme lifestyle you have chosen.

You have to quit drinking there is no way around it. You are only delaying the inevitable decision you have to make which is to quit alcohol or let it kill you.
>>
>>36269369

Stopping drinking entirely isn't an option because of my career. It literally involves drinking as part of meetings with major partners. I can get away with skipping a couple of these things, or sipping on soda/pretending I'm drinking every once in a while, but it's not a permanent option.

I know the alcohol is bad but it's a reality I've accepted.
>>
>>36269263

If you kept off everything but 7 pounds then you kept it off - that's water weight/glycogen/bloat/food in your gut.

Go for it, bro.

>>36269569

Make better choices when it comes to liquor. Stick with vodka/whiskey sodas with lime/lemon. Get in on the shots with the boys but avoid any mixed drinks and those with high carb conents - like beer and Jagermeister.
>>
>>36269649

Yeah, I'll mostly stick to gin for these work meetings.

Partying with the mates may involve beer so I don't end up being blacked out, but there'll be less nights out with them coming up.
>>
>>36269893
>ts out with them coming up.
gin actually has more calories then vodka or whiskey iirc

getdrunknotfat.com
>>
>>36268946
>I'm on a pretty intensive diet right now, and I've lost 15 lbs in just over 3 weeks,

That's a deficit of 2500 calories a day. What does your diet actually look like?
>>
losing weight too quickly also means losing a lot of muscle. you dont want to cut and lose all your hard work, do you?

-500 cals a day is safe, and consistent.
>>
>>36269965

Like I said, it's always under 1200 calories. I'm not a big breakfast or lunch person, so generally, I get to work at 9, and if I decide I'm hungry (normally I'm not), I bring some fresh broccoli and cauliflower, along with Frank's Buffalo Sauce - 0 calories, about 25 calories per serving for the veggies. After work, I normally have some more vegetables and maybe a few slices of turkey, so another 25 for the veggies, then 50 calories or so for the turkey.

Then I do some pushups, situps, and lunges, and hop onto my bike to ride a few miles, and pick up dinner. I've been eating a lot of Rubio's, so I'll grab a grilled seafood burrito (700-850 calories depending on which kind I pick).

That's it for the day.

If I don't feel like Rubio's, I'll make a Marie Callendar's frozen dinner or a Lean Pocket or two, and count the calories.

Other nights it's like a Caesar Salad and grilled chicken breast. Not exactly exciting, but effective.

>>36270003
I've already mentioned, I don't have a ton of hard work to do. I haven't been lifting for gains, but I've put on muscle that I didn't have with some simple workouts.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.