[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /fit/, anyone here is into martial arts? Which one? >been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: download (8).jpg (7KB, 166x170px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
7KB, 166x170px
So /fit/, anyone here is into martial arts? Which one?

>been considering karate or muay thai
>>
>>35677590
Jiu jitsu is love
Jiu jitsu is life

Muy Thai / boxing ect is cool too
But the only way to get actually good is to spar with people, and that leads to a lot of unnecessary injuries

I've got hurt more just doing some light sparring than I have in years of jiu jitsu
>>
>>35677663
is there any chance of getting that fucked up ear only training though?
>>
>>35677663
Yeah jijutsu is the fucking shit, seconding this

Finna get my blue belt this term
>>
>>35677689
I've only seen a couple people that have that
Even people that have trained for 10-20 years don't have fucked up ears
If you're worried about it you can get wrestling headgear
>>
>>35677590
Nine years of Judo, seven or eight of Jiu jitsu and seven of boxing.

I don't go anymore though because I have sciatica and I'm not a huge fan of being in constant agonizing pain. Starting to get into HEMA.
>>
>>35677590
boxing/muay tai + bjj/judo/wrestling
>>
>>35677689
Cauliflower ear is temporary swelling. It goes away after a couple of days.
>>
>>35677862
muay thai*
>>
>>35677881
>temporary
>>
File: 618.gif (43KB, 306x200px) Image search: [Google]
618.gif
43KB, 306x200px
Bumping this thread.
I am really considering boxing or bjj, just can't decide.
>>
>>35677897
It is if you treat it. If you just leave it you end up looking like yoda.
>>
Turned from powerlifting to muay thai a year ago as my main discipline. During first month I realized how unathletic I've been having only raw strength. So yes, muay thai's most complete stand-up martial art. If you have time and money I'd advise freestyle wrestling as a back-up, best if you could find a gym with a Russian/former Soviet republic coach for the latter cause they're undisputed masters at it.

Though bjj, judo etc. are all valid for the ground game aspect too.
>>
>>35677911
my gym only has muay thai, bjj and karate but if it had, I would choose boxe anytime
>>
>>35677590
So what is your goal
Why are you interested in martial arts
>>
>>35677911
I did boxing for a while, super fun. I also did some BJJ for dat dere sweet ground fighting. No matter what, you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>35677989
1st because I believe its fun, 2nd is good for self protection, 3rd, as
>>35677950
said, its good to mix lifting for strenght + martial arts for physical conditioning
>>
>>35678199

That's what I do. However I turned from pure powerlifting to oly lifting as I believe it increases explosiveness a lot more. Also, shit like dumbbell snatches might seem weird at first, but my right cross packs much more power after I started doing it.
>>
>>35677911

Boxing.

Better for self defence and a bit more fun. BJJ is probably as good for cardio and is a lot more of a thinker's fight.
>>
>>35678199
The most fun you can have doing martial arts is sparring
Actually going 100% with another person

Jiu jitsu is the only martial art that allows you to go 100%
It is the gentle art

Good Self defense is just a side effect of proper training
>>
>>35678304

Sparring is not about "going 100%".

Sparring is a training tool, the idea is to make it competitive without beating the shit out of each other. When you spar you try to land your strikes, try to make them feel it and go for your submissions.

100% means going for knockouts. Snapping on locks to dislocate or break limbs. That's not sparring.
>>
>>35678327
I know that's not what sparring is all about
But you can go 100% in jiu jitsu all day long, when you get a submission you don't crank on it you just stop and reset.
It's still training and you have to respect your partner

try throwing punches just to the body at 80%
You won't last very long
>>
>>35678361

my definition of a 100% kimura or juji is "don't even give them time to tap".

same with throws. if i'm sparring and i get a throw in, i'll give them tine to breakfall. if i'm giving it everything i have there's no breakfall, they're hitting the floor hard.

i understand what you're saying, but also from how you're talking about easing on submissions you know the difference between a lock in training and putting the full weight of your body behind a technique.
>>
>>35678420
Well look at the longevity aspect

How many people that are deep into their 40s going to be lacing up the gloves?
>>
btw why is it called 'Bjj'?
>>
>>35678461

Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, as opposed to regular Jujitsu.

Jujitsu is one of the older Japanese martial arts and really favours bigger, stronger guys. Judo tried to remove this advantage by creating a new system based more around throws, BJJ again derives from Judo and tries to completely remove a bigger fighter's advantage by staying on the ground.

It's called Brazilian Jujitsu because that's where the first schools of the style were.
>>
I did japanese jiu jitsu for a few years and it was one of the best life choices ive made. Unfortunately I had to move interstate and there was no similar dojo around.

A word of advice: if the dojo you're looking at looks really swish and fancy, it's probably terrible.
>>
>>35678454

Totally. I've torn both of my lateral delts because of assholes who can't understand that training is training.
>>
>>35678493
>sparr in mma class
>rock an armbar
>dont go so hard please anon
>go 75%
>partner wiggles out of every hold, makes it impossible for me to do anything constructive
-.-

>stand up sparring
>get some gud lowkicks in
>"chill anon i wanna be able to walk home haha"
>instantly hits me with a left right liver hook low kick combo that drops me and leaves me without breath for 30 sec
>>
>>35678489
Another portip: just google the highest belt
If he comes from good lineage it's probably good
And make sure to get good training partners
>>
>>35678527

Yeah, that's retarded.

If someone can't take being locked up tightly but gently they need to work on their conditioning.
>>
>>35678527
If someone asks you to go easy and it's not because of an injury
They are a pussy and you need a new training Partner

Speaking about bjj
>>
>tfw only martial art my college has a club for is aikido
Really want to do jiu-jitsu or boxing, but I don't know if there's any dojos or gyms for it in walking distance.
>>
try karate kyokushin if you want to feel like a fucking wall of stone
>>
>>35677590

Seriously doubt you'll find a practitioner but Long fist Kung fu is great alongside weight training. Real depth of training but with simple and effective technique.
>>
>>35678890
>>35678931
Enjoy getting double legged and strangled
>>
>>35677590

Do MMA
>>
>>35678931

Go watch gracie vs kung fu on YouTube and see what happens.
>>
>>35678931

https://youtu.be/jd1KDz1X7iE
>>
File: superlative.jpg (331KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
superlative.jpg
331KB, 517x768px
all these threads turning inevitably into "my senpai's tougher than your senpai"

I LOVE IT

>I don't even do martial arts
>>
File: 1450765587968.gif (2MB, 420x261px) Image search: [Google]
1450765587968.gif
2MB, 420x261px
By experience, boxing and BJJ are top tier.

Both are like chess, you have to really read your opponent. Plus you can go full out sparring, full contact.
>>
>>35678870
How about you try looking
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.