[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Principles of lifting that you have learned to be true over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 1352779708990.jpg (28KB, 456x335px) Image search: [Google]
1352779708990.jpg
28KB, 456x335px
ITT: Principles of lifting that you have learned to be true over the years.

I'll start it off

>sleep 7 hours a night
>lift as much weight as you can
>lift with your spine
>>
>>35528011
>agree. Although I like to get 8
>agree as well
>nigga what?
>>
>back and core is your center point for upper body strength
>>
Bulking should be done slowly, getting fat so you can lift more isn't that fun.
Don't go to failure that often.
How you feel is a lie, I've often felt garbage when I stepped into the gym and then gotten a great workout.
Big weights are fun but most sets should be done with less then 90% of your max if you want to get stronger.
>>
>>35528094
spot on
>>
>>35528094
If im curling 30lbs for 3 sets does that mean i do 35lbs for the last set?
>>
>>35528094
Agreed.

Also, listen to your body. Most big problems can be fixed when they are small problems
>>
>>35528226
Doesn't matter. You can't really get that much global fatigue from curls so it doesn't really matter for recovery purposes how heavy you go. Pick a weight that you can do more than 5 reps with and stop one or two reps before failure.
>>
File: 1446579132135.png (228KB, 1192x830px) Image search: [Google]
1446579132135.png
228KB, 1192x830px
>>35528094
Fully agree.

-Cardio with proper nutrition will not really hurt your gains.

-sprints and interval training is based

-yoga does the mind and body a whole lot of good. It is also great for improving your mobility.
>>
>>35528415
For got to mention

-do not attempt lifting with your ego
>>
>>35528415
>-Cardio with proper nutrition will not really hurt your gains.
it definitely will, though it depends how much cardio you do and how advanced of a lifter you are. this idea that everything is fine as long as you replace the lost calories through diet is pretty naive.
>>
>>35528094
>How you feel is a lie, I've often felt garbage when I stepped into the gym and then gotten a great workout.

I can personally attest to this one, last night I felt physically ill, but went to the gym anyway, and proceeded to set new PRs on squats and bench.
>>
>>35528477
Having good cardiovascular health will benefit your gains(better recovery). It's only when you do huge amounts it's gonna burn muscle mass.
>>
>>35528011
The average person doesn't need to lift alot of weights. A few compound movements will usually do the trick.
>>
>>35528094
what does max mean? 90% of your 1 rep max?
>>
File: shia le pepe.jpg (31KB, 593x386px) Image search: [Google]
shia le pepe.jpg
31KB, 593x386px
>>35528852
yeah you'd have to be doing near retarded amounts of cardio to kill gainz
>>
There is no worse feeling when you fail your last week's max. Conversely there is no better feeling than hitting a new PR
>>
>>35528094
>Big weights are fun but most sets should be done with less then 90% of your max if you want to get stronger.

disagree, you should plan your program with peaks of 90-100% in your routine (but the entire core of your program should be a lot of sets/reps with 80-90% to build strengh, tecniche and muscle)
>>
>>35531028
bump need this answered also. my max bench is 80kg and i usually train at 70 x 5
>>
>>>35528011
lower the rep range and add more sets

>two days after heavy squat day is your clean or snatch day. Those front/oh lighter squats will do wonders for your recovery.

>bench will hurt your shoulders bad in the long run. If you're not into PL be wise and stop it before some little pains become a serious inkury.

>to press more do it more often.

>to squat or deadlift more do it less often. Allow time for good recovering.

>Louie Simmons approach is the best for strenght gains in the long run if you're not interested in peaking for a comp. Max effort/rep and speed work/conditioning.

>to ohp more press tighter faster and get under the bar aggressively.

>don't ego lift. ever.
>>
>>35531028
>>35531829

you must lurk moar but yes, @90% is the 90% of your 1RM but remember, you won't get an accurate 1RM being a novice or intermediate lifter so use the max weight you can use to do a COMPLETE rep on the main lifts (no 1/4 squats for example)
>>
>>35528011

Rather than needing a perfect program what really brings the gains is training with intensity (not training intensity).

Even with a mediocre program if you work your arse off and really push yourself you'll make excellent progress and you'll learn to autoregulate along the way.
>>
>>35528011

>diet is more important than training for looks
>don't attempt to bring your friends/gf/family to lift. You will be frustrated.
>>
>>35528011

>lift with your spine

yeah sure, if you want a one way ticket to SNAP FUCKING CITY
>>
>>35528477

It won't you retarded mongrel
>>
>>35528477
If your running marathons it will hurt muscle gains but 30-50 mins can be done with no adverse effects. In fact it's an essential component of fitness.
>>
>Thinks lifting works
>Is wrong
When will u guys learn
>>
>>35531786
Advanced lifters should periodise to keep making progress.

But most people are over complicating things by changing volume and frequency etc within a single workout.

Most lifters will never see the benefit of the complex programming exercise science says is optimal. Only pro athletes will as 1-2% makes a difference to them.
>>
1. Dirty bulking is counter-productive and fundamentally bad for your health.

2. Change your routine often, keep your body guessing. Personally I never keep the same routine for more than a fortnight.

3. The appropriate frequency for trying to exceed your 1 RM is every 6-8 weeks. People try to do this WAY too often.

4. Cardio doesn't kill gains if you know how to eat properly. Cardio is good.

5. Hip flexors are the most misunderstood muscle group, considering how important they are.

6. Crossfit is garbage, but it sells.
>>
>>35528226
LIFT WITH YOUR SPINE.
Right, OP?
>>
for building muscles, perfect form is everything.
>>
The best lift for you is the one you're not doing.
>>
>>35532322
1.depends

2.just because your noob gains can hop bodybuilding com programs and keep building doesn't mean that's the norm

3. I agree most do it too often, but unless you're advanced, 4 weeks with periodization should be ample.

4.this is your only true statement

5.the most efficient squat should rely almost completely on the quads, flutes, and hams. Not the hip flexors. But yes, no one understands them and I'm glad you learnt us all real good on the subject.

6. Crossfit has its place. What's garbage is the diet and targeting novices to get sucked in.
>>
>Don't listen to anyone on /fit/ (including me) unless they provide a time-stamped body pic
>>
There is no point cheating with bad form

You'll end up with an injury, then because you're so used to lifting with bad form, you'll just keep injuring yourself the same way

To get past injury, eventually you'll have to try to learn proper form and you'll be starting from the bottom again. May as well start there now.
>>
1. Rippetoe and Scooby were right all along

2.open up the hips and keep your spine totally in line

3.Hip Drahve

4.Dont lift high
>>
>>35532322
>>35528094
What do you guys consider a slow or optimal bulk?
For a 5'8" 140 lb guy how fast should I put on weight?
>>
File: baseball-bat-in-crowd.jpg (139KB, 640x686px) Image search: [Google]
baseball-bat-in-crowd.jpg
139KB, 640x686px
>>35528011
>lift with your spine
>>
>>35528852
you have any type of source on this. not questioning, would just like to read up on that.
>>
>>35528094
o fuck, DYEL here
is going to failure that bad?
>>
>>35532770
Not in itself but not being able to lift the last rep does invite more potential for injuries or bad form.
>>
7 hours of sleep is a meme, also you can NOT train your body to need less sleep.

The human body needs anywhere from 6-10 hours of sleep depending 100% ON GENETICS. It is fucking hard wired in your DNA how much sleep you need.

How do you find out how much sleep you need?

Go to bed so you can get 10 hours of sleep each night for a week, doesn't matter when you wake up just make it so if your body will sleep for 10 hours at night, it can. On the eighth day see how many hours you slept for before your body wakes up, this is probably what your genetic need for sleep is.
>>
>>35532770
Just go to failure once on the last set. There is 0 reason to cheat on a rep you think you might fail on, look forward to failing on that rep, and keep the strict form to get the failure over with asap.
>>
>never trust anything you read on /fit/
>>
>>35532149
Shittiest fucking bait ever
>>
>>35532860
Depends if they stick to lifting or not>>35531786
You don't need to be foloing a peeking program until you hit 3/4/5
>>
>>35531829
Should be around 65kgx5 (80 × 0.8)
But you are a novice lifter

Start off at 62.5kg x 5 for 5 sets
If you can do 5x5 add 2.5kg next time, if not stay at the same weight. Gl padawan
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.