[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know the majority of us here are primarily focused on physical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

I know the majority of us here are primarily focused on physical gains, but I have no doubt that some of us focus on mental gains too. So what do you do for mental gains?
Mine is a combination of meditation, reading, studying and music composition.
>>
>>35446182
pushing out extra reps
running
>>
>>35446182
Meditation, learning a new language, namely french.
>>
>>35446182
I read for an hour or two a night, I meditate myself to sleep, and I play an insane amount of strategy vidya. I also play classical guitar, but I am nowhere near the level of proficiency needed for composition or arrangement.
>>
>>35446182
Meditation, chess, reading, drawing and painting... I'm terrible at painting...brush strokes heavy handed AF, gonna switch up it to watercolor for a while...
>>
>>35446182
listen to podcasts that feature really smart people and take notes, don't just listen
>>
>>35449268
>>35449828
Meditation is retarded. Doesn't do shit compared to what you could do in that time.

Meditation is a religious action, like praying. It was only made popular in the West recently when it entered the new age medicine through pseudoscience bullshit. Honestly if you think it does anything, you're retarded.
>>
Lifting is meditative for me. As for mental gains, I'm to old to belive that it will make any difference.
>>
>>35450301
Meditation made me
>less angry
>more motivated
>helped with lucid dreams
>helped going through depression
Your argument is shit my man, l started meditation a few years ago, it still feels good, you're like a non-lifter that talking shit about lifting and you should shut your whore mouth
>>
>>35450301
The science strongly supports meditation. Even 30 days of meditation has measurable increases in the thickness of grey matter in the brain. That's huge gains for very little investment.
>>
>>35449268
Also French. French is retarded.
Having fun eating cheese and getting killed by ISIS, surrender monkey.
>>
>>35450351
Hey dumbass, ever stop and think you made those gains not through sitting on your ass, but through working through your problems. Meditation didn't help you, you helped you. Peddle your pseudoscience somewhere else, new age faggot.
Meditation was invented by people who don't have plumbing, wipe their hands with their ass, and eat food with their hands.

I could sacrifice a goat because the pagans did it and it could make me feel more in control of my emotions, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a placebo
>>
>>35450417
Bullshit. Post a source or get the fuck out commie
>>
>>35450476
>>35450435
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2006/02/meditation-found-to-increase-brain-size/

Meditate for real brain gains bro.
>>
>>35450435
>pseudoscience
>meditation is backed by actual science
>random faggot on /fit/ believes something solely because he wants to
>calls other people dumbass
>>
>>35450435
Actually meditation was a common practice in most of the world by the religious castes, catholic monks, native american shamans, muslim sufis, even african tribesmen.

I hate this idea of associating meditation with India all the time.
>>
File: Greek-ancient-olympics[1].jpg (27KB, 500x202px) Image search: [Google]
Greek-ancient-olympics[1].jpg
27KB, 500x202px
>>35450435
You know what else was invented by primitive people? Gyms.
>>
>>35450435
>>35450476
This

>>35450489
>35 participants
Lmao
>>
>>35450533
That's not the only study dummy. There are literally over 19,000 studies on meditation. And at least 50 of those meet the most rigid scientific standards.

>they found 47 trials that addressed those issues and met their criteria for well-designed studies. Their findings, published in this week’s JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that mindfulness meditation can help ease psychological stresses like anxiety, depression, and pain.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/mindfulness-meditation-may-ease-anxiety-mental-stress-201401086967

The documentation is abundant and clear. Meditation has a positive physical affect on the brain. If you're not doing it, you're missing out. You don't have to believe any mumbo jumbo about magic powers, you just have to focus your mind and learn to master your attention.
>>
>>35450504
prayer is backed by the same science as meditation.
>THE MORE YOU KNOW
>>
>>35450435
Okay, so even by your fucked up logic, meditation did help him. He began meditating, and became able to work through his problems. Whether meditation directly did it or indirectly helped him complete that, the desired outcome was in fact achieved when he meditated, so why should he stop? Meditation isn't necessarily sitting on a cushion and saying 'ohm' to yourself over and over again. It's all about mindful, deliberate existence and attempting to transcend, just a little bit, the reality that we all take for granted. What is bad about that at all?
>>
You shouldn't think of mental gains in terms of getting smarter, you should think of them in terms of developing the skills to create periods of time in which you are extremely focused and connected to your hobby.
>>
>>35450585
Any tips, apps, vids, audio that you can recommend to me for increasing ability to maintain focus. My brain literally, will NOT stay focused. I know thats kind of the point, but ive been meditating now for two years and noticed literally NO increase in my focus during meditations.

I did have a wall with a specific shape in the stucco that allowed me very good focus. My friend moved my chair and i lost it though...Never found anything else that helps me focus like that damn stucco wall.Fucking weird right?
>>
>>35446182
>Plan to open business
>Going to College to learn business
>Devouring books on subject

Brain gains
>>
>>35446182
I'm starting to learn Mentalism so that I can fake having Sherlock Holmes type observational and deductive prowess.
>>
>>35453197
What's up fellow narcissismbro.
>>
>>35446182
bump
>>
>>35452434
Try a coloring book you autistic faggot. Lmao but no for real, a coloring book. I got a psychedelic/mandala one. Color for like 20 mins each morning or whatever. Profit, not to mention you actually have something tangible to be proud of, if you cant already draw.
>>
File: fit.png (39KB, 220x202px) Image search: [Google]
fit.png
39KB, 220x202px
>>35450528
>>
>>35449940
Any podcasts you can recommend? I'm looking for topics that can be thought provoking since my break has been pretty slow paced in terms of learning something new.

To contribute to the thread, I'm looking into learn some basic programming, maybe try to take it further if I enjoy it. Have thought about a language but there's so many to chose - I'm thinking between German, Chinese (not particularly interested but seems practical) and Japanese. Also read here and there, thinking I'll move onto autobiographies or maybe something that seems relevant to the world (apart from just the usual science journal)
>>
File: a8066f7cbbbbd5ac56b252f80f02f39f.jpg (865KB, 1920x2692px) Image search: [Google]
a8066f7cbbbbd5ac56b252f80f02f39f.jpg
865KB, 1920x2692px
How do I meditate?
>>
>>35454651
my girlfriend got a coloring book for christmas and we each colored a picture. it was very relaxing and having a tangible creation reminded me of how i love creating things
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.