[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit, these actually seem like a decent bodyweight leg exercise.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: pistol squat.png (173KB, 622x485px) Image search: [Google]
pistol squat.png
173KB, 622x485px
Holy shit, these actually seem like a decent bodyweight leg exercise. How many pistol squats can you do, anon?
>>
i do 20x every morning, for both legs. My HB squat is 5x132.5kg.
>>
>>35315160
p impressive m8. You do other bodyweight leg stuff? pistol squats and sissy squats seem decent but all other bodyweight leg exercises seems garbage
>>
>>35315152

I squatted 425lbs x 5 ATG last week and can't even do 1 pistol squat to parallel.

u wot m8.
>>
>>35315152
I can't do one, I just fall on my ass.
it's not because I can't squat y own bodyweight with one leg ( I know I can).
I just loose my balance . :(

>I'm 6'3 btw so this might have somthing to do with it.
>>
>>35315196
quartersquats don't count you fat fuck
>>
>>35315370

I don't do quarter squats you tard, I'd get laughed at in my gym for doing quarter squats and probably kicked out.
>>
>>35315196

I know people to pull huge deadlifts but can't do a single pull-up

Just practice them until you can do 1 with decent form and you'll progress fast as fuck
>>
>>35315188
Not that anon: only other real bodyweight leg exercises are plyos, sprints, and maybe deep step-ups, if you have somewhere that you can really use to elevate the pressing foot.

For raw strength and hypertrophy, bodyweight training is inferior to weighted leg training. And I say that as a guy who prefers bodyweight.
>>
>>35315241
The two major factors here will be: length of separate levers in the leg, and your ability to stabilise yourself. Being tall will make it a little more difficult because you have a higher travel distance, and because it's easier for you to fall outside of your base of support (longer body lever) But if you work on it there's no reason why you can't.

Perhaps try an easier progression or using a counter-weight. Such as a dumbbell held in front of you.
>>
>>35315625
>For raw strength and hypertrophy, bodyweight training is inferior to weighted leg training
I am inclined to agree with you but I think a big part is the way people try to do bodyweight training. The strengths of bodyweight training and the method of progressive overload is time under tension, but the majority of people who do it try it as complete beginners, when they dont have the CNS efficiency necessary to hold their muscles under sufficient tension for sufficient ammounts of time, which is why people shit all over bodyweight and think it doesnt work. I think people should do a strength-oriented barbell training program for at least about 1 year before trying bodyweight exercises to get the most out of it
>>
>>35315715
Time under tension definitely for some progressions, the other key element is leverage, that's how you progress your L-sit and planche difficulty obviously: either decreasing your own leverage such as in planche leans, or increasing the force you must act against as seen in tuck and full front levers. And you're right CNS ability is crucial to both. Especially the static holds, where connective tissue strength is also much more important.

Most people have no idea how bodyweight works anyway: they go from 3x8 pushups to 3x20 pushups and wonder why they haven't made huge strength or size gains. Also, and this is an anecdotal observation but one that I've seen enough to subscribe to: generally bodyweight guys seem to be less strict with diets, macros and calories. So their results are going to differ because of that anyway.

I would disagree with you: I think you can roll straight into bodyweight training, I did after all, you just have to really reinforce the concept of time under tension, and progression where sometimes volume itself is the progression, rather than increased strength demands. You can switch from standard to diamond pushups, but to start working full L-sit, you need a longer hold tuck L-sit first. Strength-endurance is a large component, as is tendon conditioning, both of which are elements the average practitioner will miss, they will become frustrated, and they will shift to weighted training without understanding where they went wrong, ergo, they think body weight doesn't work.
>>
>>35315625

Deep step ups and pistols are essentially the same in terms of muscular requirements of the leg assuming you don't cheat. It just makes it easier as it has less flexibility requirements.

If a person struggles with pistols or deep step ups, then it counts as strength training, especially useful for those who don't have access to facilities where full depth barbell squats are inaccessible.

Plyos aren't recommended until your squat is 1.5-2x bodyweight. The loading going through the lower extremities is high, much higher than a squat. People should train landing mechanics before practicing them also, knee valgus is a common cause of acl injury.
>>
>>35315241
I'm 6"2 and I can do these. Man the fuck up and keep trying. The one thing I've learnt is to never make excuses.
>>
>>35315766
I'll preface by saying that I agree with basically everything you've said: I simply wanted to answer the question, re: what are the bodyweight training options for legs.

Step-ups are definitely a precursor to standard pistols.

I also agree with the assessment that they're strength training: all I was noting was that at some point, your bodyweight alone cannot continue to provide you the progressive overload demanded to achieve further results (at an optimal rate) as weighted squats. You can do a decent number of single leg squats and have strong, aesthetic legs, but if you want to truly keep pushing your strength up, you need the extra progressive overload, and weighted work is, in my opinion, the way to achieve that.

Plyometrics are definitely for those with a higher existing level of strength and conditioning, in addition to the knee injuries you mention: foot and ankle injuries are also common because they have bad jump/shock absorption mechanics. Especially those who have been in padded shoes for most of their life, or desk workers, who often have imbalances in the kinetic chains which can over-stress the surrounding tissues during high-impact exercise. Same reason why most people shouldn't go balls-to-the-wall sprinting for exercise either without proper guidance.

To build your way up to these without the presence of weights, would you suggest t=high-volumes of lower-impact things such as bounding and lower box jumps, where you jump up but step down, or jump down and step up, slowly building your way into more advanced plyos? That way you can still begin to practice and force tissue development, but without the prime issue of loading: you're not conserving and then utilising impact force to propel yourself up again, you're absorbing the shock, and then repeating the movement.
>>
>>35315761
>Also, and this is an anecdotal observation but one that I've seen enough to subscribe to: generally bodyweight guys seem to be less strict with diets, macros and calories
I think this might be because a lot of calisthenics stuff is marketed in the same vain as all the "six pack shortcut" bullshit so the people who do it often arent very commited. Which is a shame because theres something really cool about the concept of it imo
>>
>>35315940
Hey, you may be entirely right mate, but I also think it has something to do with the demographics of people that are attracted to bdoyweight training. In general from my experience they want to be stronger, fitter, and look better. General improvements, and less of them seem to have the same mass-goals as a lot of the guys I know who lift weights. Not to say there aren't guys out there who do bodyweight with the express intent of building a large, aesthetic physique, it just seems to be less prevalent in the community as the driving factor, and thus less strict attention to diet.

The other simple option is simply confirmation bias: maybe I just don't frequent areas where those sorts of bodyweight practisers do frequent, thus to me they are under represented.
>>
>>35315968
Practitioners*
>>
>>35315432
Planet fitness?
>>
>>35315821
Yeah 4 scoops CMON amirite?
>>
bumpo
>>
>>35316003

No, a bodybuilding/powerlifitng gym. If you're doing stupid dangerous shit like quarter squatting weights you can't handle, you get told and if you keep doing it, you get told to fuck off.
>>
>>35315188
Sissy squats will fuck up your knees m8
>>
Used to do 3x10 for each leg. Switched to barbell squats because it just isn't enough for legs
>>
>>35315152
Not flexible enough
My hamstrings are super tight
>>
>>35315196
>>35315241
>>35315632
Hip flexibility, probably.
>>
>>35315859

Sorry for late reply so hope you see this.

To build up to advanced plyometrics, start with the basic - a squat jump(no countermovement) with hands on hips - no arm swing onto a box. This is the most basic of jump training. Jumping onto a box reduces the landing forces.

To progress, you remove the armswing and the box, and then move onto a countermovement jump, again begin with a box to jump on and no arm swing. When doing repeated countermovement jumps without a box, reset between each rep, as the landing forces will increase dramatically and it will become essentially a repeated depth jump where you're look at 4-5x bodyweight going through your lower extremities.

Horizontal jumps are next, standing broad jump etc, and then depth jumps. Always begin without arm swing, and build up to landing on the ground. I would avoid single leg variants, they are only necessary really in certain sports but your risk of injury is massively increased unless you have excellent control and proprioception.

The only plyometric exercise here is the depth jump, where the focus is on high velocity and short contact time. The rest is basic jump training.

To progress to true plyometrics, begin doing repeated contact movements, such as a hopping or bounding and then repeated countermovement jumps to progress. For all but the elite in sport, advanced plyometrics are unnecessary and this stuff will give you more than enough. Same with single leg variants, very good for those who are elite but not for your average joe.
>>
File: 2132142153q34212.jpg (29KB, 417x528px) Image search: [Google]
2132142153q34212.jpg
29KB, 417x528px
>>35315152
None, because never in my life have I ever needed to move like this.

I've built and wired houses, installed sound systems, PA's, etc. I've moved and installed and shifted around heavy fucking stuff for all my adult life and I have never once moved this way. OHP, Squats, and Deadlifts have all made me strong and are actually the most functional movements there are in terms of actually moving heavy shit.

Pic fucking related. Pistol squats are fucking stupid and good for nothing except showing off that you can sit on one foot.

And no, i can't do one. Not even mad about it.
>>
>>35316885
This. Any idea how to loosen up hamstrings?
>>
File: GST.jpg (2MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
GST.jpg
2MB, 1400x1400px
>>35315152
Who else /gst/? I'm thinking about combining with SL since I'm lifting at 50% right now and I feel like I'm wasting time
>>
>>35317114
Nah no worries mate.

Yeah that's about what I did myself, glad that I had the right sort of ideas, and thanks for typing that all out: it'll be helpful for anyone reading through this who wants to start plyometrics. People underestimate the amount of prep work that is necessary for a lot of skills, especially because they used to do that sort of thing as a kid and don't realise exactly how much mobility, strength, and recovery/injury resistance they've lost over the years along with poor movement patterns.
>>
>>35317225
Hamstring strengthening as well as mobility. Seriously, integrate both. A tight muscle is often a weak muscle and the opposite can be true too. Do some dynamic stretching for legs in general, then some strength work, then your other stretching and mobility. Do it regularly. Expect slow progress, especially if you have a desk job.
>>
>>35317189

fitness hipsters BTFO
>>
>>35317189
pistol squats arent about functional strength, theyre just a decent-ish leg exercise. I like the idea of bodyweight training
>>
>>35317189
>He's never had to get off the floor after a marathon vidya sesh to find one foot asleep
>>
>>35317189

I agree, they are no more functional than regular squats. However they are excellent for leg strength development if you can perform them.

A pistol squat is equivalent of a barbell squat loaded up to your bodyweight. For a lot of people starting out, this is a lot. Add a 20kg dumbbell and its now equivalent to your bodyweight +40kg. It's very useful for those with limited facilities, or as a tool for coaches or personal trainers dealing with people scared to lift weights for whatever reason, specifically woman. You can trick them into training their leg strength very easily just by defining it as a core exercise instead of anything else.
>>
>>35315196

Bad flexibility, I have it too.

You should work on it or else it will fuck up your legs
>>
>>35315152
can't do a single one with my right without falling over.

can do 10 with my left though
>>
>>35317499
It's not quite the same as a barbell squat loaded up to your bodyweight, because the weight is not concentrated on your upper back, like it is when you are barbell squatting. Therefore, your posterior chain is barely getting any exercise. Pistol squats mainly train your quadriceps and stabilizers, no hamstring/glute/erectors/abdominals/trapezius. Therefore, if you have access to barbell squats, there is little reason to ever do pistol squats.
>>
>>35317225
High rep Romanian deadlifts
>>
Pistol squats are a phenomenal exercise, one of my favorites for sure. I actually prefer them over back squats (although I love them too).

I can do pretty heavy pistols and full ROM too, here is my clip of solid repetitions with +16kg(35lbs).
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LklPFMDrEIw

My personal best is a perfect repetition with +40kg(88lbs)
>proof: https://www.instagram.com/p/9GYB66sdFX/?taken-by=eerowest

I'm very close to achieving the kettlebell beast challenge which requires a single pistol squat with 48kg KB(105lbs), but I think I can get much heavier reps in a couple of years.
>>
>>35318014

Pistols will train your glutes just as much as a barbell squat, similarly, hamstring activation during a properly performed squat shouldn't be great, and won't be any different during a pistol. The hamstrings will be used to prevent anterior tibial translation. Low bar squatting is a different case - yes this will provide greater posterior chain activation but much greater injury risk - no athletes would be taught to squat this way, and outside of powerlifting it should not be used.

One could argue the glute activation in a pistol squat is greater due to more difficult to maintain proper knee, hip and ankle alignment. There is no research currently though to back this up, but common sense dictates it should work that way.

There shouldn't be any lower activation in the erectors or core if performed correctly. If the pistol is loaded on the chest(barbell on the chest) then the erector activation should be similar to that of a front squat - higher than the back squat of an equal load.

The take home message though is that it's good, just as good as the back squat. Yes, if you do have access the barbell squats it is most likely a better choice for your average lifter due to being easier to perform. It is however excellent for athletes, certainly sprinters, triple and long jumpers who require high force production on one leg, and it's excellent as a precursor to unilateral plyometrics also. It's also an excellent choice for children or women who are usually afraid of lifting weights as you can perform the pistol with a dumbbell with minimal external load.

The minimal external load is another advantage - it lowers any risk of injury within the spine, however there should already be a low risk with squats performed correctly.
>>
bump, this is a pretty good thread
>>
how to pistol squat without fucking your knees?
>>
>>35319419
Flexibility and making sure the knee doesn't point inwards.
>>
Bulgarian split squat masterace reporting in
>>
>>35315821
>Man the fuck up
stop
>>
>>35319419
don't be a faggot with shit knees for starters.
>>
bump for more squat options
>>
>>35321265
squat on my cawk faget
>>
>>35315152
I can do 12 each leg or sets of 5 with a 22kg kettle bell. Love pistol squats for the balance gains. I am 1.74m weigh 69kg and can only squat 105kg for reps though.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.