[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a question for dudes with a fair amount of experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

File: 20699406122_f312aa38e0_k.jpg (524KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
20699406122_f312aa38e0_k.jpg
524KB, 2048x1365px
This is a question for dudes with a fair amount of experience under their belts.

Whats the one thing you did or changes (besides roids) that you really felt boosted your gains? Try to be specific

A particular routine?
A method of performing your lifts?
Changing the intake a particular macronutrient (more, less, etc)?
>>
Consistency, eating the right food, lifting heavy, getting enough sleep
>>
Tabata sprints for dat leanness.
>>
>>35250930
>A particular routine?
try a couple out to find one that fulfills your goal and you like
> A method of performing your lifts?
regularly checking foms is really where it's at, finding accessories and sometimes just deloading
>Changing the intake a particular macronutrient (more, less, etc)?
keeping diet in check basically, counting macros, it's amazing how off you are if you just estimate, I even bought a lil scale
>>
>>35250930
Counting macros, getting enough sleep, learning how to open up my hips and use my glutes while squatting
>>
Activated my almonds.
>>
High volume
>>
>>35251557

kek
>>
>>35250930
Eating clean
Tracking my lifts and actually progressing every week on accessories
>>
>>35250930
A particular routine?
PPL
A method of performing your lifts?
For every lift I would only do the bar or the lightest weight, so I can work on form
Changing the intake a particular macronutrient (more, less, etc)?

I started eating cottage cheese with protein powder and flaux seeds at night.
>>
I'll say this...

There's am obvious trend I see in the gym. Guys who go hard and lift to failure are jacked. Guys who give 50% (and are natural) look like shit, almost always.

Go hard in the gym and eat. That's how's you get gains.
>>
File: yu yu.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yu yu.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>35250947
>tfw I need legs and abs
>tfw just realized that sprints will give me both
Noted family member
>>
>>35250930
Literally not jerking off. In the past three weeks since I stopped fapping I have gone from swimming last in my lane to leading it and almost overlapping the other people who I used to struggle to keep up with.
>>
>>35253316
This.

I was able to escalate my cut after not jerking off or having sex with my gf for a week. And then when I did cum it was a legit splooge.
>>
File: (135087234)dftdft.jpg (55KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
(135087234)dftdft.jpg
55KB, 400x600px
>>35250946
>the right food
not very specific...
>>
>>35250930
Started ignoring /fit/
>>
Has anyone ever just increase protein intake, and all things else kept the same, saw more gains?

I heare mixed reports about 'oh you need 2g protons per lean lbs of bodyweight' and then i'll hear 'nah just 1g is plenty' and then still others '0.5 is all you need really'

just curious
>>
>>35254535
Look up the studies mate. It's .8g per LEAN kg. If you're 200lbs, 20% fat, that's about 70g

Excess protein pretty much turns into carbs bruh. Don't listen to /fit/. Nobody reads here, they just repeat memes
>>
>>35254576
i said lean ya dingus.... did you mean to emphasize kg (as opposed to lbs)?
>>
>>35254576
u don't know shit
protein very rarely turns into glucose.
may as well have high protein unless you can't afford it
>>35250930
High volume and intensity on major compound lifts
actually having correct form on lifts. you can always improve them
ACTUALLY BULKING
skinny abs are literally worthless. you'll look better with 1/2/3/4 lifts and 20% bodyfat than abs but unable to bench a plate
>>
>>35254611

> skinny abs are literally worthless. you'll look better with 1/2/3/4 lifts and 20% bodyfat than abs but unable to bench a plate

Truu.

Just hit 1/2/3/3 (SL isn't great for DL gains) and I look so much better than my skelly friend with abs. I have meaty slabs of stomach muscle while he just has a "washboard".

He's trying to look like me though and it makes me proud :')
>>
>>35254605
Oh, I didn't read your whole post because I've seen similar ones so many times and it triggers me. Good job catching the lean part, everyone ignores that. And yes they also forget to keep in its correct because ameritards

Plot twist: I'm an ameritard
>>
I didn't progress to where I wanted to be until I started basically living in the gym. I train 3-4 hours everyday the least. Obviously aesthetics aren't my main goal.

Basically full body auto regulation, almost the same routine everyday with deload active rests every 7-10 days.
>>
>>35250930
For me it was deadlifting 3x and squating 3x a week. Both lifts fuckin skyrocketed doing that. 1 max/heavy day, and 2 lighter (~up to 80% max) and high volume days. Also, heavy ass dumbell rows did a wonder for me. And because people always want some form of proof or whatever. here is a pic related from a few months ago. A bit bigger now, but not real noticeable. Deadlift about 50 lbs more now though
>>
File: StraightOuttaEureka.jpg (100KB, 373x500px) Image search: [Google]
StraightOuttaEureka.jpg
100KB, 373x500px
>>35250930
Big Mïke always says that the best thing that ever happened for his gains is the fact that he's not a shitcunt.
>>
File: 1448505413139.jpg (70KB, 600x783px) Image search: [Google]
1448505413139.jpg
70KB, 600x783px
>>35254742
so your diet did not change at all between non-living at the gym, and living at the gym?
>>
>>35254822

No i stopped caring about diet. I dont even use any habits I picked up during my first few years lifting.

I just eat how I used to eat all my life. Lunch at 4pm Dinner at 8 and that's it.

Probably like 3k cal 90g protein on average.
>>
Mind-muscle connection
Cutting out sugar
Meal prep
If you have an instagram follow jason huh, do movements the way he does
>>
>>35254535
>Has anyone ever just increase protein intake, and all things else kept the same, saw more gains?
Yes. Don't fall for the "you don't need much protein" scam, just hit fucking 1g/lb every day and you will never have to worry about it, bulking or cutting. It's an easy goal ffs
>>
>>35254658
you have a 1 plate bench and pull 315? the fuck
>>
>>35255016
> "Don't fall for the "you don't need much protein" scam"
>not wasting protein through excess consumption = scam...
Hmm.
>>
>>35255036
Well when I first started lifting I said "hmmm 1g/lb is a jewish scam I'll just do like 0.7g/lb" and when I bumped it back up to 1g/lb I noticed an immediate difference. Protein is good, cheap, and tasty so I see no reason why anyone couldn't hit 1g/lb daily.

Unless you're a meme-gan lol...
>>
>>35255029
Are you retarded?

OHP/Bench/Squat/DL
>>
>>35254611
How do you do intensity and volume?
>>
>>35255099
Lots of sets of high RPE
>>
>>35254680
>self-loathing American

Just leave and be with the Arabs
>>
File: IMG_8957_zpssr2agiph.jpg (640KB, 990x1230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8957_zpssr2agiph.jpg
640KB, 990x1230px
>>35254979
You've made consistent gains eating only 90g protons every day?

can anyone corroborate this? 90g protein seems awfully low to make good gains on, especially hitting the gym hard every day (but id love it to be true!)
>>
>>35255167

Theres a few of us on fit that dropped protein intake and still progress. I believe it's a diversion made by roiders.

But there are studies that veteran lifters need significantly less protein than beginners and as a beginner i aimed for 180g for 2 years.

On bayesian
the numbers where like .82grams protein per pound bodyweight for strength training atheltes. But for veterans anything over .45g/lbs appeared to be a waste.
>>
>>35254504
only eat the food on the right side of the plate
>>
File: 1418971752871.gif (525KB, 441x300px) Image search: [Google]
1418971752871.gif
525KB, 441x300px
>>35255521
>>
You should be hitting failure within 8-12 reps.
If you just stop at 8 or 12 you aren't doing it right.

Hitting failure in general is what you should be doing regardless of rep range.
>>
File: 1432086540943.jpg (607KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1432086540943.jpg
607KB, 1280x1707px
>>35255061
does the timing described here >>35255510 seem to fit with your experience or no?

in other words, where you lifting for more than 2 years or less than when you dropped to a lower protein intake, saw reduced gains, then upped the intake again and saw an immediate change?
>>
>>35250930
Carb backloading to stay lean and put on size year round
>>
File: 1423846853703.png (588KB, 635x632px) Image search: [Google]
1423846853703.png
588KB, 635x632px
>>35255873
always been curious if anyone has tried this with any success... i have the PDF but seems tough to down 4k kcal (....4megacals?) in a couple hours unless youre a powerfatty.

also seems like a lot of wizardry that starving yourself makes you produces more test/hgh naturally....
>>
>>35255070
your squat and DL are the same? lol
>>
>>35254803
This, to be honest.
>>
>>35250930
Training consistently, think long term and don't do crazy high volume routines that are more likely to injure you. (sheiko, smolov, etc.)
>>
>>35255114
Not self-loathing, just self-awareness. How sad that you have none
>>
File: Jerk.jpg (20KB, 273x459px) Image search: [Google]
Jerk.jpg
20KB, 273x459px
>>35250930
Tbh senpai you aren't going to find a magic cure.

There are the obvious answers of consistency, sleep, correct food, but other than that it's up to you to discover it for yourself.At first anything will work but then as you plateau it's your turn to experiment and see what works for you. It will take a few years to really figure out what is good for you.

Three variables you would play with are intensity, frequency and volume, of which you should choose two. The combination that works well for you is unique, and you need to figure out when it works. For me, I like to train frequently and intensely, rather than doing super long work outs. High volume works for a couple of weeks for me, but eventually it drives me in to the ground. It might work great for you, however.

While I don't advocate program hopping, after a while you will be able to start to sense the beginning of a plateau and you can pre-emptively swap some variables around.

One thing that a lot of people don't do which I find is super important, though, is log your progress. This way you can go back and look at what worked and how you progressed on certain programs. I started logging my progress on a spreadsheet and I can go back and look at the past 4/5 years of training. It's also kind of rewarding to look at your improvement every now and then.

TL;DR Lifting is a journey and finding out what works for you is part of the experience. If there was 1 thing that worked, there would be a lot of jacked natural guys walking around.
>>
>>35250930
If we are talking cutting using DNP with proper supplements. This cycles like my 8th one Ive used it for the past few winters. Finally dieting properly and exercising 2 hours a day. Eating a lot of steak cause no carbs. Started skateboarding again and realized I can also use that love as a form of exercise so I make sure I do it for 2 hours and doing that 5 days a week equals 1 lbs lost a week. Stopped drinking cokes, haven't had one in 2 weeks. Use to drink one a day 140 cals or a drink from a fast food place 310 cals and cut 1 lbs of fat out of my diet in those two weeks for just drinking water. 2 days ago lost 1 kg no carbs plus DNP, yesterday lost 1 lbs. Ive had no carbs today so probably gonna loose another 1 kg. In 5 weeks Im down 12 lbs. 2 weeks into DNP cycle and 1 week to go.
>>
>>35255167
2xyour bodyweight grams of protein is myth made by protein selling jews
whey protein is useless, just eat some pork or chicken
>>
>>35256021

you're proably so new you think your DL should be bigger than your squat. summerfags, fuck.
>>
>>35250930
I stopped doing so much fucking excercises in one session. Kept it to 4 different excercises and I don't use machines.
>>
File: e65[1].gif (537KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
e65[1].gif
537KB, 500x385px
>>35257668
>turned to DNP before he thought of quitting soda
>all that carb brosience
>skateboarding

On one hand you're proof that there's no excuse for being fat, cause even complete retards can lose weight if they want to.

On the other hand, jesus fucking christ what the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
Adding the OHP to Bench Day, and the Push Press/Clean Press to Upperback day.
>>
>>35255167

I frequently eat 60g a day and I'm fine. You need a lot of protein, but what qualifies as a lot has been vastly exaggerated in the last two decades or so, mostly to sell shitty supplements.
>>
working out every day instead of taking "rest days" boosted my gains a lot.
more like meme days.

the only time i rest is between chest and shoulder day, otherwise i can't lift as heavy on shoulder day.
>>
>>35250930
training for strenght (as a natty at least) with a lot of frequency and intensity and low volume.
i do like 3 times the weekly volume a splitbro does but with a lot more intensity and faster recovery.
and dont be afraid to put on some fat, you have to bulk to put on muscle, not to the point to be a fatass however, i get to ~15/18% bf max when i bulk and then cut down to 12/13%
>>
File: BorgeFagerliHeader_Myo[1].jpg (130KB, 616x250px) Image search: [Google]
BorgeFagerliHeader_Myo[1].jpg
130KB, 616x250px
>A particular routine?
swapped from full body 3x week to 4 day split done 6-7 times per week
>A method of performing your lifts?
light myoreps for assistance + rep target progression for main lifts. no more 5x5, 3x8 shit
>Changing the intake a particular macronutrient (more, less, etc)?
less fats, more carbs
>>
My gains and aesthetics were taken to a whole new level after I finally stopped being obsessed with lean-ness.

I look 100x better at 15-18% body fat with my current size and proportions, than I ever did at 10-12%.
>>
>>35254576
Excess protein is shat out
>>
File: Snapchat-546379521447533578.jpg (238KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-546379521447533578.jpg
238KB, 540x960px
2 day split done twice a week. 4th week deload. Push pull. AxBxA2B2x. Squats 3 times a week. Leg curl and extension whenever.
8x3 one day for compounds
Next day that week 3x8 (holy shit was chad right about this)
Do this for squats bench and weighted chins. I don't dead lift because hip bone. Calves and forearms everyday i go if i want. The hyptrophy has been retarded good so far. I just have to eat so much god damn food
>>
>>35250946
what is to much sleep ?

i can sleep forever.

like last week i went on a path of exile marathon with friends and at the end of it it was 2 in the afternoon. so i went to bed and woke up 20 hours later.
>>
>>35251639
What PPL routine do you recommend? Just started Coolcicada's last week. I like it but I feel it has some flaws. I've only done full body 3x5/5x5 before though, so I don't really feel qualified to critique it.
>>
In no particular order
-meal prep
-pretty high protein intake, exclusively from food, whey as a last resort
-eating every 3 hours or so
-carb cycling of back losing, whatever stupid term mean that I eat low carb on off days and before lifting, but high carb after
-sleep 7-9 hours a night
-recovery like foam rolling and stretching, light squats on upper body day to help facilitate recovery, upper body I've always been able to handle insane volume and frequency because I used to be a brofag
-I always stick to compound lifts
-I only consume caffeine before lifting, my preworkout is black coffee and usually 1 caffeine tab, sometimes 1.5-2 depending on what day it is
-if I get a little heavy or not looking lean enough, I'll do a fat fast on an off day.
-slow, steady, periodized programming, 5/3/1 with +5/month for lower body is my GOAT, bench I recommend Hepburn 8x2-3

All of these worked for me, no guarantees of course. When I stay focused and strict like those, everything goes perfect.
>>
File: 1343551064634.png (643KB, 542x800px) Image search: [Google]
1343551064634.png
643KB, 542x800px
So based on all this info, particularly those saying they see good results eating as slow as 90g, even 60g protein, what would you say to someone who is

>eating at least that much
>in gym 3x a week doing a madcow type routine
>getting plenty of rest

and having plateaued on pretty much everything? would you suggest a change in routine only then? just increase frequency but same routine?
>>
upping my squat frequency
>>
>>35260459
Everyone's definition of "good results" varies and most people will convinced themselves they're seeing results even when they aren't.

The people eating 60g of protein aren't really seeing results as far as getting big goes, I can guarantee you that. Not because you need to eat 300g of protein per day or w/e (you don't), but because eating so little protein means you're not paying a lot of attention to your diet and you're not eating a lot of anything, not just protein. Those people think they look good because they're low bf% as hell and by normie standards, that does actually look really good even if you don't have much muscle under it. If you're below 5'9" or so, you might even look big in pictures without a height reference.

If, however, you're any sort of tall or are trying to look built, or even athletic, eating 60g of protein will delay your progress.
>>
>>35250930
20 years of Liftan.

Program: Dan John's Easy Strength.
Diet: Paleo + weighing food.
Sleep: Dark room + CPAP machine for sleep apnea.
Supps: Sunshine for vitamin D.
Social: Make lots of friends.
Spiritual: Meditate for 5 min a few times a day.
Goals: exercise for health and function, don't pretend you're going to be a pro athlete or a fitness model
>>
>>35250930
Mine is an experience related to being healthy/looking good.

Swapped bench press for push ups (workout home alone, no spotters and no safety pin made me afraid to keep progressing after 2pl8)
Fat deposits are heavily alocated to my legs, specially the ass, so i dropped squats. I get enough leg workout from dls, biking and swimming.
Switched from 3x a week SL to a 4day split with high volume
Incorporated more cardio on my routine
If unable to lift (i travel often) i do some bodyweight training to compensate
Stopped worrying about calories, started caring more about macros, included more lean meat and vegetables, stopped drinking soda and drastically reduced my sugar intake (still indulge myself every sunday or saturday with stuff like pizza or barbeque)
Sleeping at least 6 hours/day (8 being the optimal ammount)
But the best change was actually enjoying doing all of these. When working out and eating healthy changed from a chore to something fun, thats when i saw great gains overall.

Im looking better, less tired, less sweaty, my lifts are progressing and im a more joyful person overall. I was pretty annoying as a fatty thanks to low self steem and laziness.
>>
>>35260880
>Everyone's definition of "good results" varies and most people will convinced themselves they're seeing results even when they aren't.

i was in ok shape for years while lifting.

i now am at around 13% bf and have a 3 lift total above 1300lbs

one day i decided i was going to get big.

two biggest things are effort and diet.

the difference really is effort, you need to push yourself harder than you can imagine. you can lift more if you believe you can lift more, if you focus on muscle contractions and beast out.

i am stronger and more cut than friends who work out way more frequently and track cals and shit.

also diet.. fuck research, aim for 300g of protein a day
>>
>>35260981
post body pls
>>
Always start light and make constant small progressions. it's the one absolute.
>>
>>35261255
Did you miss the last line? You wouldn't think I look impressive. More Tyson Fury than Zyzz.
>>
>>35250947
How long? One set is 4 minutes. Is that it or do you do multiple?
>>
>>35258254
20 hours? Damn, thats impressive
>>
I know people have already said it but eating right, enough sleep and writing down my lifts. Go get a notebook and write that shit down. You may look like a faggot but tottaly worth it.
>>
>>35250930
40 yo dude here, played ball in college, been lifting for about 20 years.

For me, switching to fat free chocolate milk after my workouts.

That and not completely destroying myself every workout, so working out consistently six days per week. Not worrying too much about working the same muscle groups on consecutive days.

Finally, consistency. working out for working out's sake, not because I thought I would have a six pack after doing a certain thing for a certain amount of time.

Working out is like love. You have to give without expecting anything in return for it to work.
>>
>>35250930
doing more weight for less reps was all in all a great idea.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.