[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering running Starting Strength for my bench press

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (223KB, 1185x809px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223KB, 1185x809px
I'm considering running Starting Strength for my bench press and overhead press.

Will pic related work?
I would like more volume for bench and press however I am afraid of stalling.

Would I stall doing pic related?
>>
>>35158362
I might not be understanding you right, but would that be all you'd be doing? In that case, I'd give you 2 months and then you'll have an inflamed pec tendon, RC issues and elbow tendonitis

In any case you'd need both some kind of periodization (light-med-heavy days) and more variation in the lifts. Doing the same heavy (high intensity) compound lift (such as bench) more than twice a weeks is really not recommended
>>
>>35158398
and where the fuck is leg day?
>>
>>35158398
No this ain't all that I'm doing, this is just my plan for benchch and overhead progression.
I have a different plan for squat and deadlift progression.

I do not feel as if I need periodisation as my bench and overhead press are at a novice level.
I was wondering if I were to run Starting strength for my bench and overhead press would those accessories as seen in pic related stall or hurt progress in any way?

I had a problem once before with not enough volume in SS and I want to be sure I've got enough and will not stall or not have too much and stall.
>>
>>35158441
Ok I see now.
Well in that case I'd recommend that you first off reduce the assistance exercise sets to 3. After a few months you could try increasing to 4 sets but as a noob I dont really see why.

Then I'd vary them more, now you are essentially doing the same thing as the compounds but with dbs. For example do db incline instead.
Also dont rush the progression with the lying triceps extension because people usually dont maintain tension and then fuck up their shoulder joints in the bottom.

And remember that you essentially want as much back work as front work, to balance the shoulder joint and reduce injury risk. So if you're doing 2 heavy compounds and 2 assistance for the front (chest, tricep, shoulders) you want basically the same volume and distribution with your back.
I'd recommend rows (bb / db), pullups / chins and reverse flyes / face pulls
>>
>>35158491
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Any reason though for doing incline dumbbell bench?
What exactly does incline bench do?
Would incline barbell bench be better?
>>
>>35158513
No. Stick to SS as much as you can, and do the changes we've discussed.
The jist of what I meant was that you want variation.
If you are doing standard bench (main/compound), doing the same movement but with dumbbells (assistance) might not be very effective.
If you are doing squats (main), do one legged for assistance.
If you are doing pullups (main), dont do lat pulldowns for assistance, do db rows.

see where I'm going
>>
>>35158426
wheres literally anything that isnt chest, triceps and shoulders

i think its implied that this is only one part of his program

anyway OP youre a massive faggot. seriously. you seem like you have no idea what youre doing so why the fuck do you think its a good idea to invent your own shit

either youre a beginner, then you should just do SS and not add retarded volume that will make you stall sooner and hinder your gains
or youre not than you have no business being on a program with linear progression from one workout to the next
>>
>>35158575
I'm actually an intermediate lifter I squat and deadlift over 3pl8.
I just have a weak upper body.
>>
I remember you. You are the guy who annoyed /stg/ so much they stopped giving advice to you and just spammed you with "become a trap" every time you posted there

p.s become a trap
>>
File: 1428702077208.gif (4MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1428702077208.gif
4MB, 200x200px
>AxBxCxx
it's actually AxBxAxx
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.