[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's cut the bullshit on this. Just how bad is smoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

File: 1360638396954.jpg (142KB, 780x517px) Image search: [Google]
1360638396954.jpg
142KB, 780x517px
Let's cut the bullshit on this.

Just how bad is smoking one joint a day?
>>
Depends on the potency
>>
It will reduce your lung capacity, it has for me at least. I'd suggest for anyone to vape, or use edibles.
>>
inhaling tar is no bueno

the anti-carcinogenic capability is good

thc is no bueno and wears down your dopamine receptors

inhaling smoke ever is not good for your lungs

it may be a vice you view as positive to your overall disposition if thats your thing
>>
>>35093084
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2015/11/27/Study-High-potency-marijuana-linked-with-neural-damage/1671448657013/

Skunk marijuana may cause more significant brain damage, research shows. Photo by Atomazul/Shutterstock.
LONDON, Nov. 27 (UPI) -- In scanning the brains of drug users, researchers at Kings College London found smokers of high-potency pot had smaller amounts of white brain matter inside their corpus callosum, a neural pathway connecting the left and right halves of the brain.

While pot smokers generally showed more damage to the corpus callosum than non-smokers, those who smoked super strong weed known as 'skunk' showed more significant white matter loss.

Scientists performed MRI scans on the brains of 56 patients who had visited a London hospital reporting a first episode of psychosis. The brains of 43 healthy participants were also scanned. All the participants were surveyed about their drug habits.

"We found that frequent use of high-potency cannabis significantly affects the structure of white matter fibres in the brain, whether you have psychosis or not," Paola Dazzan, a neurobiologist at Kings College, said in a press release. "This reflects a sliding scale where the more cannabis you smoke and the higher the potency, the worse the damage will be."

The main psychoactive ingredient in weed, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is much more concentrated in modern skunk strains as compared to traditional pot and hash -- up 14 percent as compared to 4 percent.

Researchers say their new findings, published this week in the journal Psychological Medicine, are proof that healthcare workers need to pay greater attention to the type of marijuana patients are using.

"As we have suggested previously, when assessing cannabis use it is extremely important to gather information on how often and what type of cannabis is being used," Dazzan said. "These details can help quantify the risk of mental health problems and increase awareness on the type o
>>
>>35093084
Every day? You should try living life without a crutch for once you loser.
>>
DUDE
>>
> Worse than no joints a day and better than 2 joints a day.

Really though, apparently not bad at all. Light yet long-term smoking seems to show little to no long-term impairment of cognitive function, UNLESS you begin smoking as an adolescent. You miss out on some important development if that's the case. I'd hypothesize that there's a lot of confounding variables involved there though. Now the cancer risks. Apparently, although marijuana use long-term is associated with increased cancer risks (all kinds), when adjusted for confounders (drinking, cigarette use, lifestyle, etc) there is no association. In fact, there may be protective effects from smoking marijuana. I can post sources if anyone wants. If you really want to reap the benefits of marijuana without the possible harms, try baping instead.
>>
>>35093084
Holy shit do you think recreational drug use is actually a good hobby or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 722x647px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 722x647px
>>35093146
Agreed
>>
>>35093182
*vaping
>>
File: 1446556021900.jpg (16KB, 278x282px) Image search: [Google]
1446556021900.jpg
16KB, 278x282px
>>35093182
>mfw you are actually posting this after
>>35093133
>>
Smoking weed every day is too much.
Why the fuck would you even want that? I smoke weed with friends occasionally, so we talk stupid shit and laugh.
Being wasted half a day doesn't seem like a good life to me. And it's probably bad for you, judging from stoners I know.
>>
>>35093146

I was smoking a joint every single day, 1 hour before sleep, for about a year. (21-22yo) I don't approve of it, but I don't blame nor judge those who do; it was my medicine, my escape, lots of people need it. It's like taking a painkiller for your soul; same rules apply, drugs (both pharmaceuticals and drugs drugs) arent good for long periods of time. OP you want my advice?
>>
I heard that weed had a good effect on your protein receptor (if such a terme exists) and does the opposite effect of alcohol.

So THC is probably good for lifting but since smoking fucks up your lungs, you'll get less energy in the gym.

But if I had to chose between smoking weed once a week or drinking alcohol once a week. I would go for the weed.
>>
>>35093146

>weed
>a crutch

that's like saying having a couple drinks after work is a crutch.
>>
>>35093222
That study says nothing that invalidates my claims. It says that potency and frequency of use matters. Well duh. I said light smoking in my claims, and they're all made from scientific literature just as credible. I'm reading that study right now to get a better idea of their methods and claims, it's pretty damn complex and could take a while. I'm interested to know what they define as "skunk" and how they would know the potency of weed already smoked. And what cutoff they use for light vs heavy smoking.
>>
File: heieneken.jpg (144KB, 1600x780px) Image search: [Google]
heieneken.jpg
144KB, 1600x780px
>not having a job that drug tests
>being associated with stoners

Excuse me while I drink 1-6 beer a night.

Most everyone I know who drinks routinely, or are functional alcoholics, are more successful and work harder than 420errday faggots in my experience.
>>
>>35093294
well, you're a professional pot smoker, aren't you? what do you think they could reasonably define as "skunk"?
>>
>>35093282
Honestly if you can't go a day without a mind altering substance, then you probably do have a problem
>>
>>35093282
come on buddy, none of us are children here. a joint gets you a lot more inebriated than a couple of drinks
>>
>>35093245

I used to smoke weed everyday. Basically did everything I had to do for the day, worked out, necessary university work etc, then in the late evening I would smoke weed, chill, fap and just completely relax. Then I would fall asleep. It also helped out with my bulk.

Honestly, it was just something to do in the late evening when everything that has to be done is done.
>>
A whole joint? Of fire? Probably too much. You don't need more than a hit or two if you don't smoke all day err day.

But just eat edibles instead. Works so much better.
>>
>>35093319

I was drinking a 6-pack each night after work/studies; then I switched to cannabis; smoked for years, during the last one I was smoking 1 joint before sleep every single night for a year (same guy who posted above). Alcohol was indeed better for efficiency, most people I smoked with (same frequency) indeed got less functioning over the years. Me however; nobody could tell I'm a stoner (did psychedelics too every 4-6 months); so it's all relative; depends on personal discipline, character generally
>>
>>35093351
Well if you follow a protocol like that, it's a lot better. But I still think weed can affect your brain.
>>
I don't see the appeal, it is expensive and not really that fun, why not put that money away for a deposit on a house instead?
>>
>>35093351

100% this, same for me.
>>
>>35093323
I actually don't smoke anymore, I used to vape everyday. I honestly have no idea what "skunk" is. Every dealer will say their weed is "dank" because they want you to buy it. "Skunk" sounds like something they used to say in the 90s. Anyways, I'm studying Public Health, biostatistics, and epidemiology right now so I'm frequently reading papers like this. I change my mind though, a joint a day is too much for a normal person to smoke a be successful. OP, it likely won't cause you to die or have any negative health effects, but it'll probably make you lazy and fuck and kill your ambition. You should het a vaporizer and smoke after work and after the gym ONLY (except for special occasions).
>>
>>35093392

After 3 months of smoking I planted my own plants; best thing I did for that time period.. ever. (and I've done shit) Oh and... not fun? how old are you?
>>
>>35093423
I guess I just don't need drugs to have fun, nor do I really find being in an altered state fun
>>
>>35093354
Yeah but then you have to dedicate 8 hours to being high, which isn't good for making life gains. You're right though, a joint could keep me high all day if I took a few hits at a time.
>>
>>35093398

didnt kill my ambition, the opposite. did make me more lazy, yet not less productive. Even tho I completely agree with you, and I certainly will never get back to the 'every day' thing. Now I smoke 3-4 times a month, and it's so much better, for so many reasons.
>>
>>35093446
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>35093351
Yeah this. I hate being high in public, and I feel like I'm wasting my day if I smoke any earlier than 7pm, but I smoke weed every night after dinner and just play guitar/write songs, watch a movie with my gf and have some sex. Weed also doesn't affect me as much as it seems to affect the rest of you - a joint IS the equivalent of having 1-2 drinks for me.
>>
>>35093446

Nobody 'needs drugs to have fun' if he doesn't overuse them. I certainly don't, but that doesnt stop me for smoking few times a month.
>>
>>35093282

it is
>>
>>35093446

being in an altered state (lsd) is not 'fun', its a life experience.
>>
>>35093133
>skunk

Stopped reading, UK can't handle the dank, their opinion is trash
>>
>>35093499

I go to OZORA/modem/BOOM/Sun once (1.5~ weeks in total; including road trip) every summer and do psychelics; I'm afraid it's a habit that might never go away...
>>
>>35093518

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-NSUXirTkw

love & light
>>
>>35093084
I think the damage is negligible if you only smoke a join once a week, as a rule of thumb at least.

Obviously it's better to avoid it, but if you really need to relax I think it's ok as long as you don't overdo it. Once a day seems like too much.
>>
>>35093282
Having a couple drinks after work is a crutch you fucking idiot
>>
OP here. While I agree that smoking a joint every day is definitely a bad habit, it's already much better than what I used to do. Which is 3 joints a day.

Anyway, I only smoke at night when I don't have anything to do (so most nights. ) Is it an emotional crutch? Not anymore, but definitely started out as one.

I just love lighting up a joint and going for a walk around the block when everyone is asleep. It's one of my favorite moments of the day. It does make me terribly lazy though.
>>
>>35093182

SAUCE ME
>>
>>35093253
gib widsom
>>
Ok, lets cut through the bullshit speaking as a heavy using addict of several years who has for the first time managed to go without for nearly a week and without an incredibly strong drive to go back. I guess I just decided it was time to do more with my life.
The only way marijuana will make you happier is if you have no ambition in life but to get high all day and you can reasonably sustain that.
It socially neuters you. It academically neuters you. If you work a meaningful job communication skills and cognitive ability are extremely important. If you want a good relationship weed will kill your long term ability to give all you can to that relationship.
90% of people arent willie nelson or whatever. Most people who smoke heavy spend their 20s working in a gas station.
Getting your brain massaged is of benefit to nobody and especially not yourself.
I dont count mr 'I have a hit on fridays after work' or me 'i use for a weekend every couple of weeks'. Thats like saying alcohol will fuck up your life if you like to go to clubs sometimes. I mean mr 'buys an ounce a month and smokes from dawn til dusk', which is a FUCKING EASY trap for people just out of high school to fall into in the current economy.
>>
>>35093839
Additionaly OP might be able to keep up his one joint a day policy for a while but it is an inevitability for the habit to grow for most users. Marijuana alters your mood the day after, its a fact, and whats the best way to fix you mood? Smoke a doob.
>>
>>35093839
Wise words anon. I've never smoked all day err day like some people do, but it's all the same. I had quit smoking weed before but at some point I slowly crept back into the habit. And to be honest, in the few months that I quit I was just the same old lazy me. Maybe it's because I have been smoking so often since I was young (like the other anon said, starting in adolescence is bad mmkay)

I've had incredibly productive nights when I was high, but most of the time they are unproductive.
>>
Not even joking opiates are a better drug for someone who wants to exist in the real world with everyone else.
>>
>>35093951
I imagine if I already get addicted to something like weed I shouldn't even start with that shit.
>>
File: fuck_stoners.png (53KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
fuck_stoners.png
53KB, 900x900px
Junkie degenerate pot tokers need to GET THE FUCK off my board.

/fit/ is a StraightxXxEdge board you disgusting smelly losers so fuck up before I fuck u up.
>>
>>35093130
THC doesn't act on dopamine receptors. It's anandimide you're thinking about and the consequences of downregulation are far less severe than dopamine.
>>
>>35093133
That's funny because harvard and mass. Say completely the opposite and that it has literally no long term negative effects.
I'll take the word of an ivy league and mass. Any day over this garbage. By the way, transsexual people have different areas of white matter lit up to. We don't all in all, know what it does so this is baseless.
>>
>>35094096
Trannies are all fucking suicidal. I wouldnt mess with my white matter if I want a happy life. I chose weed and Im depressed and suicidal. Funny.
>>
>>35093182
You are so stupid. This is outdated info that has since been replaced with more current science.
Also the anti-carcinogenic effects of CBD's have been shown to COMPLETELY negate the carcinogenic effects.
Also
>You won't grow properly if you smoke weed as a kid
Citation needed
>>
>>35094122
Serotonin levels dictate that you retard, not white matter.
Go kill yourself, clearly all you're good for is copy and paste.
If you're too much of a bitch to do that though, how about you spend some time actually researching chemicals in the brain and how they interact with drugs, instead of copy and pasting an article that claims pot is only up to 14 percent (we're at almost 30, meaning this study is OLD AS FUCK) and even calls it skunk, lmao.
>>
>>35094153
Im a different person, I didnt even read the article.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 540x405px
>>35093499
>>
>>35094202
Pic is truth. That pic is the reality of drugs. They shoul show it to high schoolers and not the heroin addicted cock sucking and schizophrenia horror stories.
>>
>>35094236
Too bad it's a bunch of lies though. Ketamine, for example, has been demonstrated to have long-lasting antidepressant effects even after one administration.
>>
>>35094368
Art school is a waste of money though, I'll give it that.
>>
>>35094368
Too bad your studies dont translate to shit in reality
>>
>>35094378
Compelling.
>>
>>35094392
Ok, enjoy a few short weeks of relieved depression (not my personal experience with ket or anyone I know whos done it) and a lifetime of urinary incontinence.
>>
>>35094419
You don't seem to understand, compared to regular antidepressants this is an immense time effectiveness. Also the dosages and frequency used were well below the threshold to cause bladder damage.
>>
>>35094124
I'm not stupid and I study stuff like this for a living. All of my sources are within the last 5 years. And everything is dependent on how much you smoke. Reality is that there's still a lot of research to be done on the subject. I'm not really sure what part your disagreeing with though. The part where I say light smoking is harmless? Or that vaping is safer? Idk. But anyways, here's a source that you asked for. http://m.pnas.org/content/109/40/E2657.short
>>
>>35093696
Apparently posting sources is being filtered as spam and I don't feel like typing a paragraph to bypass it. Sorry!
>>
>>35093341
You're seriously sheltered if you're an adult and believe that.
>>
File: pepe41.png (10KB, 427x451px) Image search: [Google]
pepe41.png
10KB, 427x451px
>>35094084
fuck me you're right

Im thinking of X

>mfw
>>
>>35093130
>thc is no bueno and wears down your dopamine receptors

you fucking retard go do some actual research
>>
>>35093150
WEED
>>
>>35093084
It'll make you lazy, if nothing else. Stick to smoking on the weekends.
>>
>>35095806
Not that dude, but a couple drinks doesn't do shit to me other than making me a bit more talkative. However, a full-sized joint (should be 1g imo) will get me pretty lit. I can snap out of the high easily and get shit done unlike when I'm comparably drunk though.
>>
I'm a security guard in Canada and I'm 18. Work full time and go to school full time. I started lifting at 14 and already made it 6'0 170 9% currently bulking and I smoke weed everyday before my security shifts and chill at my front desk job watching movies on the screen with my friends at work . makes work fly by and prepares me for great sleep for my morning workouts before school. Canada has great cheap weed so its more common here. I find ridiculous amounts of security guards in my industry that are really fit planning to be cops and workout and smoke weed everyday before shifts many have gone on to be successful. Just my expierence
>>
>>35094202

hallucinogenic drugs do expand your mind, anon

for example, they allow you to see music and examine your thoughts and schemas for dealing with the world as they happen

if you'd ever done any you would know this

the problem with hallucinogens, like the problem with pretty much anything, is that most people that use them are dumb to begin with, and hallucinogens are usually associated with lazy stoner art kids

most of the physicists and master's engineers I know use or have used hard drugs, myself included.
>>
>>35095959
What if you get into a fight?
>>
>>35095820
Wrong again mate. MDMA will fucking reck serotonin, but is mostly non dopaminergic.
(Protip, you are thinking of dopaminergic stimulants, i.e. high dose amp, meth, possibly methylphenidate)
>>
>>35095806

tbf it depends on what kind of weed is in the joint, but unless it's shitty ditch weed then smoking a whole joint to yourself will have a lot more of an effect on you than nursing two drinks

maybe if you took a couple shots back to back? otherwise, no
>>
>>35093133
Did those that lost white matter also lose overall body mass

Because that would explain that
>>
>>35093084
It would be better to vape thc oil.
>>
>>35095806
Smoking a joint to yourself is a lot of fucking weed bro. Unless you're Snoop or some shit. Two shots back to back would have almost no effect on a pretty big adult male.
>>
>>35096095

MDMA is dopaminergic wtf are you talking about? just because it has a greater serotenergic effect doesn't mean the dopaminergic effects are negligible
>>
>>35093839
agreed. i used to be an all day erry day stoner through college and while it didn't totally ruin my grades, there were definitely times where I would have done better had i not been high most of the time. now that i've quit i look back and kick myself for not doing it sooner. I've started reading more, have more drive to work out and my life is all around more organized and better.
>>
>>35096138

this. inhaling any plant matter into your lungs is a bad thing. if you really want some weed, just vape.
>>
>>35096141
Do you seriously believe that? That's ridiculous. You've clearly never actually seen a joint, because they don't take much to roll.
>>
>>35093084
Yes.
>>
>>35095920
That is because you have a high tolerance for alcohol because you use it far more regularly than you do weed.
>>
>This thread every single day

Its just bait to get the delusional stoners and self righteous non stoners to argue. I cant believe people still fall for this clever ruse. gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>35093282

>implying It isnt
>>
>Depends

/thread
>>
>>35097051
I've seen plenty. I used to smoke every day, sometimes all day. If you get more fucked up from two shots than from an entire joint, you've built up quite a tolerance. You're just plain objectively wrong here. Most adult males would not be very intoxicated after a couple of drinks, but a joint would put them on the couch for hours.
>>
>>35093130
Weed is not a stimulant.
>>
>>35094202
only thing true is that art school really was a waste of money. it's about meeting people and being able to use expensive shit.
>>
>>35094202
its FUN, using drugs and fucking pussy

fuck your shitty attitude
>>
>>35093133
>14 percent
>potent

I live in Amsterdam, anything below 20% is seen as serious crap.
>>
>>35093084
dont smoke it, use it to cook yourself some fucking sick protein brownies
>>
File: lhZLWww.png (172KB, 458x305px) Image search: [Google]
lhZLWww.png
172KB, 458x305px
>>35093253
>It's like taking a painkiller for your soul

Shit, man. This is completely accurate.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.