[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I so bad at deadlift? I started it 2 months ago, at about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

Why am I so bad at deadlift? I started it 2 months ago, at about 85kg x5 due to shitty grip. Now I do about 90kgx4, and my grip isn't much better. I can squat more than that. I'm bulking, have been for a while, and all my lifts are increasing relatively quick except my deadlift.
>>
>>35065536
If your grip is the problem, use chalk. What are your stats btw?
>>
After carefully analysis i have come to the conclusion there might be a problem with your grip being the limiting factor. Whatever you do, do not strengthen your grip
>>
EAT MORE
>>
>>35065547
>>35065549
Yeah, I get my post sounds stupid, but I kind of thought if I did a double overhand grip, combined with other exercises regularly(pullups etc) my grip would naturally improve. Would rather not use chalk as I'd hoped my deadlift would improve my grip, and it's pretty pathetic to use chalk while not even deadlifting lmao2pl8
My other stats are:
90kg 5RM squat
75kg 5RM bench

At 73kg bodyweight, 5ft11
>>
Do hold your deadlift at the last rep for as long as you can.

Learn how to hook grip if you still want hands in the same possition
>>
>>35065626
Right. You have intermediate numbers for your squat and bench but your deadlift technique is awful. Switch to mixed grip and start using chalk immediately.

As soon as you stall on any of your lifts, switch to Candito's Linear Program and after you exhaust it (aka stall) switch to The Texas Method.

In terms of bulking, don't go above 75 kg. You are 180cm and at your level, you won't be able to make the best of that weight - you will just end up being fat.
>>
>>35065626
>it's pretty pathetic to use chalk while not even deadlifting lmao2pl8

Chalk is not some magical ingredient the use of which you have to earn.
It improves your grip so use it mane
>>
Are you hinging properly with your hips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA
This was a great help to me.

What do your warmup sets look like? How much rest are you taking before the PR attempt (Assuming you're PRing deadlifts every time you train them, like in SS or SL)
>>
>>35065536
Because you didn't read my book or watch my deadlifting video on youtube.
>confirmed for not making it
>>
hamstring flexibilty and strength might be an issue. Make sure to adequately stretch before hand, and do some light romanian deadlifts for 12-15 reps as warm up.
>>
>>35065704
>Alan Thrall
I seriously want to strangle this idiot. The reason why people injure themselves while doing conventional deadlifts is because the body enters a better leverage position to get the weight off the ground. That position is supported by certain back muscles that were not designed to contract vertically - support 130+kg of hanging weight.

To minimise the risk of injury and to maximise the transfer from the low-bar squat, you should be pulling sumo UNLESS you are with a coach who specifically tells you to pull conventional and is there to watch you do the lift.

However, if you listen to our boy Alan here you should be doing high-bar squats because "the deadlift works your hamstrings and glutes XD".
>>
How do i stop rounding my back. I know how to setup, breathe, tense, push with legs etc. But still i start to round my back, when im around 75-85% of my 5RM.

Is it weak hamstrings (i can squat ATG without rounding my back so they cant be tight) or what? It sucks to spend months with babby weights just to learn how to lift with a straight lower back, when other pple can just go there and lift without issues.

God i love and hate deadlifts. I just want to progress with them..
>>
>>35065822
Learn to brace properly.
>>
>>35065822
Flex your abs
>>
>Not trying out sumo deadlifts
Fucking plebs
>>
>>35065830
Can you open up that a little bit
>>
>>35065822
Switch to sumo.
>>
>>35065846
Ì just told you i know how to setup etc. You think i'd miss something that simple?
>>
>>35065852
https://youtu.be/VcY3YSW9vX4?t=5m51s
>>
>>35065822
IF you know how to brace on a squat, but it's not working on the deadlift, then maybe it's your lats and shoulders not bracing? The bar should be under your chest. Some beginners incorrectly do it with the bar under their neck area. It's harder to brace with your lats and shoulder when the bar is under your neck as opposed to nipples
>>
>>35065806
Most people condone conventional deadlifts...are they all wrong?
>>
>>35065806
Not saying you are wrong, but your saying some pretty bold and unconventional advice. What are your credentials?
>>
File: markus aurippletitus.jpg (40KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
markus aurippletitus.jpg
40KB, 300x292px
>>35065749

this guy sounds like he know what he's doing
>>
>>35065885
Conventional deadlifts are easier to start with and overload. If you can't get the bar off the floor with your leg drive, you can muscle it up and still get it. It will be ugly as fuck but you will lift it. For bodybuilding, you should be pulling conventional - you get more muscle development and you get more carry-over from rows and chin-ups which are your upper-back mass builders.

With that said, I think you should be pulling heavy conventional only with a coach. There is always form-breakdown on heavy attempts and beginners don't know how to properly hold position.

For people who just want to get strong sumo is fine.
>>
File: 1448490119043.jpg (437KB, 1508x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1448490119043.jpg
437KB, 1508x1493px
>>35065806
>hating on conventional DLs and high-bar squats
>>
>>35065907
Trial and error and listening to the bigger guys and guys with more experience than myself.

For the squat/DL carryover - your sumo pull starts at roughly the position you start going up on your low-bar. You end up using the same muscles to move the weight.

For the muscle part - the muscles around your spine are made to contract horizontally and keep you in a straight stance. They weren't intended for supporting and moving heavy weights. When the weight is too heavy for you to lift correctly, you end up using them to support yourself and to muscle it up.
>>
>>35065955
I am not hating on anything - I just think that the average Joe who has no idea of proper form, has been lifting for less than a year and doesn't know how to hold position should be doing sumo pulls for safety reasons. If they are coached - whatever the coach says.

If you are an Oly lifter, you should be high-bar squatting. Beginners should be low-bar squatting - they can't control the bar and would end up sliding the bar on their necks or doing a very ugly good morning.
>>
>>35065704
Thanks, will try this next time
>>
>>35065686
Why can't I bulk over 75kg? Surely 80kg wouldn't be very heavy for my height?
>>
>>35066611
I won't go into too many details. I don't think you will make the most of the weight because I don't think you are starting out at single-digit BF%. Best case scenario is you end up at 15%, worst case is you end up at 18%, meaning you have to cut which is suboptimal if you are wishing to go for progression.

Second, you will just fuck up your leverages if you gain so much weight, so fast. Eat enough to stay at maintenance and to have enough glycogen to get you through a training session. Focus on nailing the form/technique and getting stronger. Nothing else, nothing more.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.